Mailing List Archive

no channels found HDHR3-4DC
Hello,
After 8 years I am ready to move my mythtv setup into the digital age.
I am trying to replace my analog tuners by the HDHR3-4DC network tuner
from Silicondust. However, the scan for channels does not provide any
valid channel in mythtv-setup.

FYI I am living in the Netherlands, and the provider details are:
* Frequency: 304000 kHz of 304 MHz
* QAM: 64
* Symbolfrequency: 6875
* Netwerk-ID 5600

Furthermore, I am using mythtv version fixes/0.27(v0.27-212-gb93fb14).

First I have successfully tested the hardware using the Silicondust
GUI hdhomerun_config_gui, meaning I am able to view programs with vlc.

Next, in mythtv-setup I have deleted all capture cards, added new
capture cards for all four tuners (1410355B-0,..,1410355B-3), and set
the max recordings to 1. The device id, firmware (20140604), and ip
address were automagically picked up. Next, selected new video source:
no grabber, channel frequency table default (also tested with
europe-west), and network id 5600 as required by my provider. Input
connections showed a list of HDHomeRun tuners as expected. For one of
the tuners changed the video source to the one I just created, and
pressed scan for channels. None of the scanning options, a full scan
nor the frequency scan provided me any valid channel.The parameters I
use are required by the provider: frequency 304000000 Hz, and qam-64.

At the moment I am wondering if there is an option to manually add the
necessary channel details to the mysql database? I think the scan
using hdhomerun_config tooling provides all the information needed. I
have read about channels.conf but if I am correct this is no longer an
option for 0.27. Or is there any other option I am not aware of?

Is there anybody out there with a working setup using HDHR3-4DC who
can provide me with configuration details or hints what to try next?

Any help would be appreciated since I invested a lot of money into this device.

Regards,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Quote/Cytat - Dennis Alders <dennis.alders@gmail.com> (Mon 08 Sep 2014
12:35:28 AM CEST):

> Hello,
> After 8 years I am ready to move my mythtv setup into the digital age.
> I am trying to replace my analog tuners by the HDHR3-4DC network tuner
> from Silicondust. However, the scan for channels does not provide any
> valid channel in mythtv-setup.

I used to have this problem when tuning to UPC Poland. I still don't
understand fully how it works in MythTV...

> FYI I am living in the Netherlands, and the provider details are:
> * Frequency: 304000 kHz of 304 MHz
> * QAM: 64
> * Symbolfrequency: 6875
> * Netwerk-ID 5600
>
> Furthermore, I am using mythtv version fixes/0.27(v0.27-212-gb93fb14).
>
> First I have successfully tested the hardware using the Silicondust
> GUI hdhomerun_config_gui, meaning I am able to view programs with vlc.
>
> Next, in mythtv-setup I have deleted all capture cards, added new
> capture cards for all four tuners (1410355B-0,..,1410355B-3), and set
> the max recordings to 1. The device id, firmware (20140604), and ip
> address were automagically picked up. Next, selected new video source:
> no grabber, channel frequency table default (also tested with
> europe-west), and network id 5600 as required by my provider.

Have you specified QAM? In my case there were two problems:

1. The field for entering Modulation is not always displayed, I don't
know why.
2. I find nothing with Modulation AUTO, I have to specify it explicitely.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)
no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hello Janusz,

Have you specified QAM? In my case there were two problems:

> 1. The field for entering Modulation is not always displayed, I don't know
> why.
> 2. I find nothing with Modulation AUTO, I have to specify it explicitely.

Yes I did specify the modulation explcitly as described in my e-mail: "The
parameters I
use are required by the provider: frequency 304000000 Hz, and qam-64."

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Quote/Cytat - Dennis Alders <dennis.alders@gmail.com> (Mon 08 Sep 2014
09:27:14 AM CEST):

> Hello Janusz,
>
> Have you specified QAM? In my case there were two problems:
>>
>> 1. The field for entering Modulation is not always displayed, I don't
>> know why. 2. I find nothing with Modulation AUTO, I have to specify
>> it explicitely.
>>

> Yes I did specify the modulation explcitly as described in my e-mail:
> "The parameters I use are required by the provider: frequency 304000000
> Hz, and qam-64."

When selecting Input Connections -> Connect source to input -> Scan for
channels, Scan type Full scan (Tuned) I sometimes get the screen with
the fields:

Frequency
Polarity
Symbol Rate
FEC
Inversion

and sometime a different screen with the fields

Frequency
Symbol Rate
Inversion
Modulation
FEC

It seems that the second screen is presented when the scan with the
first screen fails, but perhaps the rule is more sophisticated.

Anyway, have you reached the second screen and selected 'QAM 64' in the
field 'Modulation'?

The field 'Symbol Rate' was also filled approprietely?

Actually I don't remember what I had actually done to tune succesfully
for the first time and had problems to reproduce it on a test virtual
machine, the scan was finding only some of the channels :-( However
just a moment ago
instead of Full Scan I've selected

Scan of all existing transports
Ignore Signal Timeour
Search new Transports

and look like it found all the channels.

Best regards

Janusz

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hello Janusz,

When selecting Input Connections -> Connect source to input -> Scan for
> channels, Scan type Full scan (Tuned) I sometimes get the screen with
> the fields:
>
> Frequency
> Polarity
> Symbol Rate
> FEC
> Inversion
>
> and sometime a different screen with the fields
>
> Frequency
> Symbol Rate
> Inversion
> Modulation
> FEC
>
> It seems that the second screen is presented when the scan with the
> first screen fails, but perhaps the rule is more sophisticated.
>
> Anyway, have you reached the second screen and selected 'QAM 64' in the
> field 'Modulation'?

It looks to me like we are using different versions of mythtv
(fixes/0.27(v0.27-212-gb93fb14)). However, we both experience inconsistent
behavior in the screen presentation and options. In most cases I am
presented with a screen which allows a Full Scan with the option to select
your country. Unfortunately, the Netherlands is not in the list. I have
tried selecting a number of neighboring countries without any luck.
Occasionally there is no country selection, instead there are options to
scan the Cable (and some other options I cannot reproduce), together with
Modulation, and channel range. Here I used qam64. This leads to a lot of
scanning without results.

Scan type Full Scan (Tuned) has different fields compared to yours (but in
my case the options are consistent and reproducible):

Frequency
Bandwidth
Inversion
Constellation
LP Coderate
HP Coderate
Trans. Mode
Guard Interval
Hierarchy

I leave all of them at auto except for frequency (304000000) and
constellation (qam64).

The field 'Symbol Rate' was also filled approprietely?

I have never had an option to fill in the Symbol Rate anywhere. This sounds
interesting! Maybe this is my problem?

> Actually I don't remember what I had actually done to tune succesfully
> for the first time and had problems to reproduce it on a test virtual
> machine, the scan was finding only some of the channels :-( However just a
> moment ago
> instead of Full Scan I've selected
>
> Scan of all existing transports
> Ignore Signal Timeour
> Search new Transports

Scanning transports always stops immediately in my case, it does not scan
anything.

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Dennis,

> Hello Janusz,

> When selecting Input Connections -> Connect source to input -> Scan for
> channels, Scan type Full scan (Tuned) I sometimes get the screen with
> the fields:
>
> Frequency
> Polarity
> Symbol Rate
> FEC
> Inversion
>
> and sometime a different screen with the fields
>
> Frequency
> Symbol Rate
> Inversion
> Modulation
> FEC
>
> It seems that the second screen is presented when the scan with the
> first screen fails, but perhaps the rule is more sophisticated.
>
> Anyway, have you reached the second screen and selected 'QAM 64' in the
> field 'Modulation'?

> It looks to me like we are using different versions of mythtv
> (fixes/0.27(v0.27-212-gb93fb14)). However, we both experience
> inconsistent behavior in the screen presentation and options. In
> most cases I am presented with a screen which allows a Full Scan
> with the option to select your country. Unfortunately,  the
> Netherlands is not in the list. I have tried selecting a number of
> neighboring countries without any luck. Occasionally there is no
> country selection, instead there are options to scan the Cable (and
> some other options I cannot reproduce), together with Modulation,
> and channel range. Here I used qam64. This leads to a lot of scanning without results.

> Scan type Full Scan (Tuned) has different fields compared to yours
> (but in my case the options are consistent and reproducible):

> Frequency

> Bandwidth

> Inversion

> Constellation

> LP Coderate

> HP Coderate

> Trans. Mode

> Guard Interval

> Hierarchy

> I leave all of them at auto except for frequency (304000000) and constellation (qam64).

> The field 'Symbol Rate' was also filled approprietely?

> I have never had an option to fill in the Symbol Rate anywhere.
> This sounds interesting! Maybe this is my problem?

> Actually I don't remember what I had actually done to tune succesfully
> for the first time and had problems to reproduce it on a test virtual
> machine, the scan was finding only some of the channels :-( However just a moment ago
> instead of Full Scan I've selected
>
> Scan of all existing transports
> Ignore Signal Timeour
> Search new Transports

> Scanning transports always stops immediately in my case, it does not scan anything.

> Thanks,
> Dennis

I live in Utrecht and are myself orienting on going digital. I found
this link about experiences with UPC and the Silicondust HDHomeRun HDHR3-EU - DVB-T/C combi
the older dual channel version both under Windows and Linux.

http://tweakers.net/productreview/82240/silicondust-hdhomerun-hdhr3-eu-dvb-t-c-combi.html

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,
Thanks, I read this article some time ago, different provider and not about
mythtv-setup.

I have read a success story about the HDHR3-4DC in combination with mythtv
(version 0.25) in a Linux magazine in Germany. From this I know it should
work. Again, different provider, different version, and different country.

Thanks for your information,
Dennis

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Dennis,

> Hoi Hika,Thanks, I read this article some time ago, different
> provider and not about mythtv-setup.

> I have read a success story about the HDHR3-4DC in combination with
> mythtv (version 0.25) in a Linux magazine in Germany. From this I
> know it should work. Again, different provider, different version, and different country.

> Thanks for your information,
> Dennis

You then have Ziggo? Because then your results become very interesting
to me.

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,
No, unfortunately not, our provider is Telfort.
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
On 09.09.2014 19:06, Dennis Alders wrote:

> No, unfortunately not, our provider is Telfort.

Do Telfort or Ziggo transmit unencrypted channels? The only references
on wikipedia are wrt analog transmission and supporting CI+ for digital
transmission in the Netherlands.

Zelfort: Did you configure the correct network_id?
http://www.telfort.nl/persoonlijk/service/glasvezel/zenderlijst-analoge-en-digitale-tv.htm
Then start a scan on 304 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
a symbolrate of 6875.

Ziggo: Did you configure the correct network_id?
https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/televisie-radio/installeren/frequenties-netwerknummers
Then start a scan on 356 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
a symbolrate of 6875.

The selection of the network number, combined with learning new
transports while scanning, allows you got quickly get a complete
channel scan. The network_id goes to the video source.

Regards,
Karl

PS: If someone collects the relevant information for all relevant
providers, then we can add a preset for the Netherlands to the channel
scanner.
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Karl,

Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:32:59 AM, you wrote:

> On 09.09.2014 19:06, Dennis Alders wrote:

>> No, unfortunately not, our provider is Telfort.

> Do Telfort or Ziggo transmit unencrypted channels? The only references
> on wikipedia are wrt analog transmission and supporting CI+ for digital
> transmission in the Netherlands.

> Zelfort: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> http://www.telfort.nl/persoonlijk/service/glasvezel/zenderlijst-analoge-en-digitale-tv.htm
> Then start a scan on 304 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.

> Ziggo: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/televisie-radio/installeren/frequenties-netwerknummers
> Then start a scan on 356 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.

> The selection of the network number, combined with learning new
> transports while scanning, allows you got quickly get a complete
> channel scan. The network_id goes to the video source.

> Regards,
> Karl

> PS: If someone collects the relevant information for all relevant
> providers, then we can add a preset for the Netherlands to the channel
> scanner.

That info is on the dutch wiki:
http://wiki.mythtv.nl/index.php/Zenders

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hoi Karl,

Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:32:59 AM, you wrote:

> On 09.09.2014 19:06, Dennis Alders wrote:

>> No, unfortunately not, our provider is Telfort.

> Do Telfort or Ziggo transmit unencrypted channels? The only references
> on wikipedia are wrt analog transmission and supporting CI+ for digital
> transmission in the Netherlands.

> Zelfort: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> http://www.telfort.nl/persoonlijk/service/glasvezel/zenderlijst-analoge-en-digitale-tv.htm
> Then start a scan on 304 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.

> Ziggo: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/televisie-radio/installeren/frequenties-netwerknummers
> Then start a scan on 356 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.

> The selection of the network number, combined with learning new
> transports while scanning, allows you got quickly get a complete
> channel scan. The network_id goes to the video source.

> Regards,
> Karl

> PS: If someone collects the relevant information for all relevant
> providers, then we can add a preset for the Netherlands to the channel
> scanner.

Ziggo is except for two channels encrypted so it has to go with a card
reader. For Telfort I don't know. It's I think the Glashart network
with different providers on the wiki.
For me with Ziggo I am still orienting on what hardware solution and
the homerun seems a good option so I am interested in the results.
Somewhere early next year I will have the money available.

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hello Karl,

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014, Karl Dietz <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org>
wrote:

> On 09.09.2014 19:06, Dennis Alders wrote:
>
> No, unfortunately not, our provider is Telfort.
>>

> Do Telfort or Ziggo transmit unencrypted channels? The only references
> on wikipedia are wrt analog transmission and supporting CI+ for digital
> transmission in the Netherlands.

Yes, they provide unencrypted channels. All my tv sets make use of this,
and as stated in my first e-mail HDHR3-4DC works on linux using the
hdhomerun_config_ui application in combination with vlc. Unfortunately, I
am only interested in the combination HDHR3-4DC with mythtv, making it a
very expensive brick.

Zelfort: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> http://www.telfort.nl/persoonlijk/service/glasvezel/
> zenderlijst-analoge-en-digitale-tv.htm
> Then start a scan on 304 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.

As stated in the e-mails above I configured the network id, frequency and
modulation, but have not found any option to set the symbolrate in mythtv
0.27. Previous versions of mythtv seem to have different
configuration options, like for example to import a channels.conf. There is
in 0.27 an option to import a previous scan, but I have no clue what the
format should be?

> Ziggo: Did you configure the correct network_id?
> https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/televisie-
> radio/installeren/frequenties-netwerknummers
> Then start a scan on 356 MHz with QAM64 modulation and
> a symbolrate of 6875.
>
> The selection of the network number, combined with learning new
> transports while scanning, allows you got quickly get a complete
> channel scan. The network_id goes to the video source.

Transport scanning does nothing in my case, returns immeadiately.

Regards,
> Karl
>
> PS: If someone collects the relevant information for all relevant
> providers, then we can add a preset for the Netherlands to the channel
> scanner.

Yes, this would be great. I think we can work on this as soon as things
start working.

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
On 10.09.2014 07:59, Dennis Alders wrote:
> Yes, they provide unencrypted channels. All my tv sets make use of
> this, and as stated in my first e-mail HDHR3-4DC works on linux using
> the hdhomerun_config_ui application in combination with vlc.
> Unfortunately, I am only interested in the combination HDHR3-4DC with
> mythtv, making it a very expensive brick.

There is a report from Denmark with the suggestion that MythTV may not
be up to using the DVB-C only HDHR and might need modification. But
Kenni also hints how it should work based on DVB-T.
http://www.mythtv.dk/viewtopic.php?id=534

After looking at http://www.silicondust.com/support/instructions/dvb-c/
my thoughts relating DVB-C mostly apply only to USB/PCI adapters.

Looks like you have to configure your device to a8qam64-6875 (see the
end of the instructions) and then scan the frequency in MythTV. That is
based on the two links above.

Hearing back from anyone using a DVB-C only HDHR with MythTV would be
nice. (saw http://www.hdhomerun.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17728 )

> As stated in the e-mails above I configured the network id, frequency
> and modulation, but have not found any option to set the symbolrate in

sorry, that was TLDR combined with just checking to common issues for
both providers.

I have not yet seen any logs of mythtv-setup, does it contain anything
useful?

Regards,
Karl
no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Karl,

wrote:

> On 10.09.2014 07:59, Dennis Alders wrote:
>
>> Yes, they provide unencrypted channels. All my tv sets make use of
>> this, and as stated in my first e-mail HDHR3-4DC works on linux using
>> the hdhomerun_config_ui application in combination with vlc.
>> Unfortunately, I am only interested in the combination HDHR3-4DC with
>> mythtv, making it a very expensive brick.
>>

> There is a report from Denmark with the suggestion that MythTV may not
> be up to using the DVB-C only HDHR and might need modification. But
> Kenni also hints how it should work based on DVB-T.
> http://www.mythtv.dk/viewtopic.php?id=534

I guess their problems were solved by bug
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3640 and
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7486. Mythtv 0.27 now allows one to
enter the network id in Video Soure. It appearently also works for Ziggo in
combination with a DVB-C card. Would be nice to know if it also works with
Ziggo in combination with a networked HDHR solution?

After looking at http://www.silicondust.com/support/instructions/dvb-c/
> my thoughts relating DVB-C mostly apply only to USB/PCI adapters.
>
> Looks like you have to configure your device to a8qam64-6875 (see the
> end of the instructions) and then scan the frequency in MythTV. That is
> based on the two links above.

Yes, I know but I cannot configure the symbolrate.

> I have not yet seen any logs of mythtv-setup, does it contain anything
> useful?

No there is nothing useful in the logs.

I went through the trouble to install mythtv 0.26, to check whether it
would provide me different configuration options. Indeed I can confirm that
there was no option yet to enter the network id in Video Source. In input
connections I still got randomly either the option to do a Scan Type Full
Scan and select a country vs. a Scan Type Full Scan in combination with
Frequency Table, Modulation, and Scanning Range. One interesting option
available was the Scan Type import channel.conf. this would allow me to for
example define the symbolrate. This would potentially fill the mysql
database with the proper tables. The question would then be howto get this
info into my current 0.27 based mysql database? Maybe the Scan Type option
import an existing scan could enable this? Anyone who knows howto save an
existing scan and what the format should be?

Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Quote/Cytat - Dennis Alders <dennis.alders@gmail.com> (Wed 10 Sep 2014
11:53:56 AM CEST):

[...]

> I still got randomly either the option to do a Scan Type Full
> Scan and select a country vs. a Scan Type Full Scan in combination with
> Frequency Table, Modulation, and Scanning Range.

I observe the same behaviour in two of my installations.

On Debian sid I have

MythTV Version: 9d871a9
MythTV Branch: fixes/0.27

and on Debian jessie

MythTV Version : v0.27.3

from

Package: mythtv-backend
Version: 0.27.3+fixes20140825-dmo2

> One interesting option
> available was the Scan Type import

I also noticed this option.

> channel.conf. this would allow me to for
> example define the symbolrate.

Unfortunately it is not channel.conf which is imported, but - if I
understand correctly - the results of earlier scans done by MythTV.

> This would potentially fill the mysql
> database with the proper tables.

It can be done directly and easily (?) in mysql, it is just necessary
to know which fields in which tables are to be filled.

> The question would then be howto get this
> info into my current 0.27 based mysql database? Maybe the Scan Type option
> import an existing scan could enable this? Anyone who knows howto save an
> existing scan and what the format should be?

There is also an option of adding a channel on the Channel Editor
screen, but it seems very limited and inappropriate for the problem.

Best regards

Janusz

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Janusz,

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014, Janusz S. Bien <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl>
wrote:

> Quote/Cytat - Dennis Alders <dennis.alders@gmail.com> (Wed 10 Sep 2014
> 11:53:56 AM CEST):
>
> [...]
>
> I still got randomly either the option to do a Scan Type Full
>> Scan and select a country vs. a Scan Type Full Scan in combination with
>> Frequency Table, Modulation, and Scanning Range.
>>

> I observe the same behaviour in two of my installations.
>
> On Debian sid I have
>
> MythTV Version: 9d871a9
> MythTV Branch: fixes/0.27
>
> and on Debian jessie
>
> MythTV Version : v0.27.3
>
> from
>
> Package: mythtv-backend
> Version: 0.27.3+fixes20140825-dmo2
>

> One interesting option
>> available was the Scan Type import
>>

> I also noticed this option.
>
> channel.conf. this would allow me to for
>> example define the symbolrate.
>>

> Unfortunately it is not channel.conf which is imported, but - if I
> understand correctly - the results of earlier scans done by MythTV.

There are two kinds of import, one of them is called channel.conf in mythtv
0.26. The other the results of earlier scans, but what this means I do not
know.

> This would potentially fill the mysql
>> database with the proper tables.
>>

> It can be done directly and easily (?) in mysql, it is just necessary to
> know which fields in which tables are to be filled.

I already checked, some tables do not yet exist in mysql, therefore I
prefer not to take this route, since it will be hard to debug.

> The question would then be howto get this
>> info into my current 0.27 based mysql database? Maybe the Scan Type option
>> import an existing scan could enable this? Anyone who knows howto save an
>> existing scan and what the format should be?
>>

> There is also an option of adding a channel on the Channel Editor screen,
> but it seems very limited and inappropriate for the problem.

Indeed, and the mythweb interface no longer works in 0.27; one cannot save
your modifications.

Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 4:34 AM, Dennis Alders <dennis.alders@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Indeed, and the mythweb interface no longer works in 0.27; one cannot save
> your modifications.

This is probably because php's default max_input_vars is too small for
mythweb's channel editor page. Find the php.ini that is being used by your
web server and change max_input_vars from 1000 to 10000.

Karl
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
On 10.09.2014 11:53, Dennis Alders wrote:

> After looking at
> http://www.silicondust.com/__support/instructions/dvb-c/
> <http://www.silicondust.com/support/instructions/dvb-c/>
> my thoughts relating DVB-C mostly apply only to USB/PCI adapters.
>
> Looks like you have to configure your device to a8qam64-6875 (see the
> end of the instructions) and then scan the frequency in MythTV. That is
> based on the two links above.
>

> Yes, I know but I cannot configure the symbolrate.

I'm not a native speaker, so I may be misunderstanding something but I
understood the information from Kenni together with the information
from these instructions like this:

You set the modulation (QAM64) and symbolrate (6875000 symbols/s) by
running the following on the command line
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /sys/dvbc_modulation "a8qam64-6875"

Then you tell mythtv-setup to scan on a frequency (the modulation and
symbol rate being left open / on auto) and together with the network_id
setting all multiplexes are set up from that.

Regards,
Karl
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Karl,

wrote:

> On 10.09.2014 11:53, Dennis Alders wrote:
>
> After looking at
>> http://www.silicondust.com/__support/instructions/dvb-c/
>> <http://www.silicondust.com/support/instructions/dvb-c/>
>> my thoughts relating DVB-C mostly apply only to USB/PCI adapters.
>>
>> Looks like you have to configure your device to a8qam64-6875 (see the
>> end of the instructions) and then scan the frequency in MythTV. That
>> is
>> based on the two links above.
>>

>> Yes, I know but I cannot configure the symbolrate.
>>

> I'm not a native speaker, so I may be misunderstanding something but I
> understood the information from Kenni together with the information
> from these instructions like this:
>
> You set the modulation (QAM64) and symbolrate (6875000 symbols/s) by
> running the following on the command line
> hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /sys/dvbc_modulation "a8qam64-6875"
>
> Then you tell mythtv-setup to scan on a frequency (the modulation and
> symbol rate being left open / on auto) and together with the network_id
> setting all multiplexes are set up from that.

I tried this already - tried it again since you suggested it - but does
not work. I guess there is no relation between the hdhomerun software and
mythtv.

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Dennis,

I had a similar or the same problem. For me it helped to go to:
Capture Card Setup --> your HDHR3-4DC --> Recording Options
and set Signal timeout and Tuning timeout to 5000 ms
After that a channel scan with these options:
Frequency 304000000
Bandwith Auto
Inversion Auto
Contellation QAM 64
LP Coderate Auto
HP Coderate Auto
Trans. Mode Auto
Guard Interval Auto
Hierarchy Auto

Hope this works for you too.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Dave,

On Thursday, September 11, 2014, Dave Griffejoen <dave@griffejoen.nl> wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> I had a similar or the same problem. For me it helped to go to:
> Capture Card Setup --> your HDHR3-4DC --> Recording Options
> and set Signal timeout and Tuning timeout to 5000 ms
> After that a channel scan with these options:
> Frequency 304000000
> Bandwith Auto
> Inversion Auto
> Contellation QAM 64
> LP Coderate Auto
> HP Coderate Auto
> Trans. Mode Auto
> Guard Interval Auto
> Hierarchy Auto
>
> Hope this works for you too.

Indeed this does help! I am now able to scan channels without problems, but
I continue to have tune / lock problems when trying to watch Live TV, and
try to record multiple recordings. Did you also experience this?

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Hi Dennis,

I have never had those problems, but I don't record multiple programs and
watch life tv at the same time.
It might help to add the 4 tuners one by one and set Max Recordings for
each tuner to 1 (defaults to 2)
.

Cheers,

Dave

no channels found HDHR3-4DC [ In reply to ]
Dave,
The problems I observed were zero byte recordings, in combination with
an inconsistent Tuner state as reported by the various screens e.g in the
Program guide one would see the state Tuning, while the System Status would
show Tuner is recording etcetera. All issues were solved by shutting down
the iptables firewall or adding a new rule opening up udp port 65001.

I hope this information will be usefull for someone.

Thanks,
Dennis

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014, Dave Griffejoen <
dave+mythtv-users@griffejoen.nl