Mailing List Archive

VAAPI with Intel HD 4400
Hello,

I have a new laptop and I want to use it as a frontend. I am using
0.27 mythtv in Debian Wheezy machines with 3.13 backport kernel.

I install the packages listed in the wiki:

apt-get install libva1 i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo

The problem is that "vainfo" doesn't show nothing:

$ vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

I am missing some configuration?

I change the video playback profile to "VAAPI Normal" but HD content
is not looking good (4 CPU cores to 90%).

I will appreciate any help, this is my first time with VAAPI.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
On 4 May 2014 08:19, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a new laptop and I want to use it as a frontend. I am using
> 0.27 mythtv in Debian Wheezy machines with 3.13 backport kernel.
>
> I install the packages listed in the wiki:
>
> apt-get install libva1 i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo
>
> The problem is that "vainfo" doesn't show nothing:
>
> $ vainfo
> libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1
> vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
>
> I am missing some configuration?

If vainfo returns an error, there's no much point trying with myth...

what video card do you have?
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 May 2014 00:19:17 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a new laptop and I want to use it as a frontend. I am using
>0.27 mythtv in Debian Wheezy machines with 3.13 backport kernel.
>
>I install the packages listed in the wiki:
>
>apt-get install libva1 i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo
>
>The problem is that "vainfo" doesn't show nothing:
>
>$ vainfo
>libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
>Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
>libva: va_getDriverName() returns -1
>vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
>
>I am missing some configuration?
>
>I change the video playback profile to "VAAPI Normal" but HD content
>is not looking good (4 CPU cores to 90%).
>
>I will appreciate any help, this is my first time with VAAPI.

You might like to try installing the Intel drivers from 01.org. They
are usually better than the ones in the distros. And they install
compatible libraries and so on. That was what I had to do to get my
MSI GT70 laptop to work with VAAPI (Core i7-3610QM).
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> what video card do you have?

The laptop specifications page says "Intel® HD 4400", "lspci" says:

$ lspci -k -s 00:02.0
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Dell Device 05e0
Kernel driver in use: i915

> You might like to try installing the Intel drivers from 01.org.

I try but there is packages just for Fedora and Ubuntu, not for
Debian, must I compile from source?

I am confused about Intel cards, most of my PCs has Nvidia card, and
they work out of the box with the non-free drivers, are Intel drivers
free? or there are non-free drivers too?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
On May 4, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am confused about Intel cards, most of my PCs has Nvidia card, and
> they work out of the box with the non-free drivers, are Intel drivers
> free? or there are non-free drivers too?

You don't have a card per se, the graphics hardware is part of the cpu. Intel's drivers are free and open source and typically just work. They do for me, I'm also running intel graphics on a stock wheezy system but with an ivy bridge cpu. Possibly different is I rolled my own /etc/X11/xorg.conf and called out intel in the device section. It could be your laptop is defaulting to vga graphics but I imagine you'd see crappy resolution if that was the case.

If you do get it working you'll find the libva in wheezy is very unstable with myth, there are lots of crashes. I use ffmpeg decoding with intel opengl and that's pretty stable. CPUs are so fast nowadays they can software decode anything you throw at them. I think myth calls this the "High Quality" profile.

> I try but there is packages just for Fedora and Ubuntu, not for
> Debian, must I compile from source?

You do. I think I've read on intel's forums that you can take the deb sources, build packages on debian, and it will work but haven't tried that yet.

- George
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
> On May 4, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am confused about Intel cards, most of my PCs has Nvidia card, and
> they work out of the box with the non-free drivers, are Intel drivers
> free? or there are non-free drivers too?
>

> You don't have a card per se, the graphics hardware is part of the cpu.
> Intel's drivers are free and open source and typically just work. They do
> for me, I'm also running intel graphics on a stock wheezy system but with an
> ivy bridge cpu. Possibly different is I rolled my own /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> called out intel in the device section. It could be your laptop is
> defaulting to vga graphics but I imagine you'd see crappy resolution if that
> was the case.
>
> If you do get it working you'll find the libva in wheezy is very unstable
> with myth, there are lots of crashes. I use ffmpeg decoding with intel
> opengl and that's pretty stable. CPUs are so fast nowadays they can software
> decode anything you throw at them. I think myth calls this the "High
> Quality" profile.
>
> I try but there is packages just for Fedora and Ubuntu, not for
> Debian, must I compile from source?
>

> You do. I think I've read on intel's forums that you can take the deb
> sources, build packages on debian, and it will work but haven't tried that
> yet.
>
> - George

Thanks George,

I try to "High Quality" profile, but the CPU is not enough good for HD content.

I try to compile from source:

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get build-dep intel-vaapi-driver

wget https://download.01.org/gfx/src/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4.tar.gz
tar -xzvf intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4.tar.gz
cd intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

Error:

make all-am
make[4]: Entering directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
CC configuration.o
CC proxy-config.o
CC diagnostics-view.o
CC driver-manager-app.o
CC key-view.o
CC main.o
CC main-window.o
CC marshal.o
CC package-manager.o
package-manager.c: In function ‘packages_retrieved_cb’:
package-manager.c:396:3: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘g_clear_pointer’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
CC package-manager-fedora.o
CC package-manager-ubuntu.o
package-manager-ubuntu.c: In function ‘on_add_repo_transaction_finished’:
package-manager-ubuntu.c:731:3: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘g_clear_pointer’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
package-manager-ubuntu.c: In function ‘package_manager_ubuntu_is_status_ok’:
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1218:7: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘g_spawn_check_exit_status’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1227:32: error: ‘G_SPAWN_EXIT_ERROR’
undeclared (first use in this function)
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1227:32: note: each undeclared identifier is
reported only once for each function it appears in
make[4]: *** [package-manager-ubuntu.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

Someone could help to compile the drivers from source? I normally use
deb repositories.

Need I remove repository driver before install "01.org" driver?

Thanks for your help.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
On May 4, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano@gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to compile from source:
>
> apt-get install build-essential
> apt-get build-dep intel-vaapi-driver

Whoops! Sorry, I meant build the 01.org deb packages from source.

Also, do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf and does it include something like:

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
End Section

Alternatively, check if /var/log/Xorg.0.log has a line saying "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so", then you'd know for sure you're using intel graphics and not vga,

- George
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
> Whoops! Sorry, I meant build the 01.org deb packages from source.
>
> Also, do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf and does it include something like:
>
> Section "Device"
> Driver "intel"
> End Section
>
> Alternatively, check if /var/log/Xorg.0.log has a line saying
> "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so", then you'd know for sure
> you're using intel graphics and not vga,
>
> - George

Thanks again George,

This my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file: http://paste.debian.net/97406

It show the line: "Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so"

I try to configure xorg.conf with:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
EndSection

But when rebooting it does not start the X, this is the Xorg.0.log:
http://paste.debian.net/97409/

Regards.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Josu,

Sunday, May 4, 2014, 8:02:28 PM, you wrote:

>> Whoops! Sorry, I meant build the 01.org deb packages from source.
>>
>> Also, do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf and does it include something like:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>> Driver "intel"
>> End Section
>>
>> Alternatively, check if /var/log/Xorg.0.log has a line saying
>> "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so", then you'd know for sure
>> you're using intel graphics and not vga,
>>
>> - George

> Thanks again George,

> This my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file: http://paste.debian.net/97406

> It show the line: "Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so"

> I try to configure xorg.conf with:

> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Device0"
> Driver "intel"
> EndSection

> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Device0"
> EndSection

> But when rebooting it does not start the X, this is the Xorg.0.log:
> http://paste.debian.net/97409/

> Regards.

Does look like your present intel driver doesn't support your
hardware. What does lspci say about your hardware?

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]

> Does look like your present intel driver doesn't support your
> hardware. What does lspci say about your hardware?

Thanks Hika,

This is the lspci output:

$ lspci -k -s 00:02.0
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Dell Device 05e0
Kernel driver in use: i915

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

I just try with a fresh Xubuntu 14.04. I just install the packages:

sudo apt-get install libva1 i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo

Reboot.

$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.3.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD

So it looks that it is working. Why is not working in Debian?

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano
Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Josu,

Sunday, May 4, 2014, 9:17:57 PM, you wrote:

>> Does look like your present intel driver doesn't support your
>> hardware. What does lspci say about your hardware?

> Thanks Hika,

> This is the lspci output:

> $ lspci -k -s 00:02.0
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
> Subsystem: Dell Device 05e0
> Kernel driver in use: i915

> Best regards.

The i915 of cause is supported but I don't see Haswell-ULT in the list
in your log. You have to check if there is a driver version that does
support it. Obviously as opposed to your kernel X doesn't recognize it
as a i915 variant. It often is a problem with to new hardware. It can
take some time to get recognised. X therefor defaults to the vesa
driver.

Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Josu,

Sunday, May 4, 2014, 9:27:36 PM, you wrote:

> Hello again,

> I just try with a fresh Xubuntu 14.04. I just install the packages:

> sudo apt-get install libva1 i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo

> Reboot.

> $ vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.0)
> vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver - 1.3.0
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
> VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointEncSlice
> VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
> VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
> VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
> VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
> VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
> VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
> VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD

> So it looks that it is working. Why is not working in Debian?

> Best regards.

I see in your lspci output the i915 kernel driver is used. Above it
uses the i965, which is the newer version. Try using a newer kernel
on debian.

Re: VAAPI with Intel HD 4400 [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

I just upgrade to Debian Jessie and all works great:

$ vainfo
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
[...]

I reproduce HD content and it works very good, thanks all for your great help.

Best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano