Any ideas as to what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks,

Tom
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
> On 22 Jan 2014, at 11:25 am, "Tom Wheeler" <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've recently installed MythTV via Mythbuntu and recorded several programs successfully. Since last night, however, no shows are listed when I go to Media Library -> Watch Recording, although I have confirmed via the 'recorded' table in MySQL and by looking at the filesystem that the shows are still there.
>
> I saw in the FAQ that this is often caused by having a filter set in the frontend, but I verified that this is set to 'All Programs' (and I have also tried setting it to 'sitcoms' and 'news' but in any event, nothing shows up).
>
> Any ideas as to what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
I've sometimes seen a small refresh problem after I have moved some recordings to a new group, but normally that only happens on a single recording. Exit back to main menu then re-enter recordings view normally fixes it.

Have the shows been deleted or auto expired? Press M once or twice to bring up Group Filter, select, then change to Deleted (can't remember if All Programmes filter shows deleted, I assume it does not).

If all else fails, and given you are already checking the recorded table in MySQL anyway, you could always 'select recgroup, chanid, starttime, basename from recorded;' to see what recording group they are associated with.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 01/21/2014 07:54 PM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> I've recently installed MythTV via Mythbuntu and recorded several
> programs successfully. Since last night, however, no shows are listed
> when I go to Media Library -> Watch Recording, although I have
> confirmed via the 'recorded' table in MySQL and by looking at the
> filesystem that the shows are still there.
>
> I saw in the FAQ that this is often caused by having a filter set in
> the frontend, but I verified that this is set to 'All Programs' (and I
> have also tried setting it to 'sitcoms' and 'news' but in any event,
> nothing shows up).
>
> Any ideas as to what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot it?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_aren.27t_my_new_recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F

Mike
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:

>> I saw in the FAQ that this is often caused by having a filter set in the
>> frontend, but I verified that this is set to 'All Programs' (and I have
>> also tried setting it to 'sitcoms' and 'news' but in any event, nothing
>> shows up).
>>
>> Any ideas as to what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot it?
>>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_aren.27t_my_new_
> recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F
>
> Mike

I am left wondering whether you missed that I already read the FAQ entry on
this or if you're trying to point out a subtle nuance I overlooked. Even a
little bit of commentary along with your link would be helpful.

As I explained in my original post, the group filter is set to 'All
Programs.' I realize that the FAQ also mentions that the view should also
be set to 'All Programs' but there is no such setting in my version of
MythTV (Mythbuntu 12.04.3). I have, however, selected every combination of
checkboxes under the group view and none of them solved the problem. I am
very experienced with Linux, so if there is some more definitive way to
verify the settings besides going through the GUI (e.g. an rc file or
something), I'd be interested to know about it.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>wrote:

> I've sometimes seen a small refresh problem after I have moved some
> recordings to a new group, but normally that only happens on a single
> recording. Exit back to main menu then re-enter recordings view normally
> fixes it.

I've done this, as well as also restart the frontend, and even reboot the
entire system (which is a combined frontend/backend), but the problem
remains.

> Have the shows been deleted or auto expired? Press M once or twice to
> bring up Group Filter, select, then change to Deleted (can't remember if
> All Programmes filter shows deleted, I assume it does not).

My version of MythTV (from Mythbuntu 12.04.3) does not seem to have a
'Deleted' option here. At the top of the list is 'All Programs' (which
lists 41 items, incidentally higher than last night and evidence that it's
still recording new programs). Below that is 'Groups' (which has 'Default
[15 programs]' and 'Live TV [26 items]). After those I have 'Categories'
(which contains many subordinate items like 'News' and 'Sitcom').

I do want to point out that these are just menu items and it's not clear
from the UI that one is truly "selected." It does appear stateful: when a
particular menu item is highlighted and I hit 'Enter' on the keyboard, the
menu disappears, and when I open the menu again, that item (rather than the
topmost item) is highlighted by default.

I have tried selecting "All Programs" as well as both groups and several of
the categories. In all cases, the list of recordings is empty. Along the
bottom of the 'Watch Recordings' screen it says 'No recordings available or
screen loading.'

> If all else fails, and given you are already checking the recorded table
> in MySQL anyway, you could always 'select recgroup, chanid, starttime,
> basename from recorded;' to see what recording group they are associated
> with.

I did this and see that 15 are associated with 'Default' and 26 are
associated with 'Live TV' -- same as what's shown in the menu as I
described above.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
> On 22 Jan 2014, at 2:34 pm, "Tom Wheeler" <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I've sometimes seen a small refresh problem after I have moved some recordings to a new group, but normally that only happens on a single recording. Exit back to main menu then re-enter recordings view normally fixes it.
>
> I've done this, as well as also restart the frontend, and even reboot the entire system (which is a combined frontend/backend), but the problem remains.
>
>> Have the shows been deleted or auto expired? Press M once or twice to bring up Group Filter, select, then change to Deleted (can't remember if All Programmes filter shows deleted, I assume it does not).
>
> My version of MythTV (from Mythbuntu 12.04.3) does not seem to have a 'Deleted' option here. At the top of the list is 'All Programs' (which lists 41 items, incidentally higher than last night and evidence that it's still recording new programs). Below that is 'Groups' (which has 'Default [15 programs]' and 'Live TV [26 items]). After those I have 'Categories' (which contains many subordinate items like 'News' and 'Sitcom').
>
> I do want to point out that these are just menu items and it's not clear from the UI that one is truly "selected." It does appear stateful: when a particular menu item is highlighted and I hit 'Enter' on the keyboard, the menu disappears, and when I open the menu again, that item (rather than the topmost item) is highlighted by default.
>
> I have tried selecting "All Programs" as well as both groups and several of the categories. In all cases, the list of recordings is empty. Along the bottom of the 'Watch Recordings' screen it says 'No recordings available or screen loading.'
>
>> If all else fails, and given you are already checking the recorded table in MySQL anyway, you could always 'select recgroup, chanid, starttime, basename from recorded;' to see what recording group they are associated with.
>
> I did this and see that 15 are associated with 'Default' and 26 are associated with 'Live TV' -- same as what's shown in the menu as I described above.
What theme are you using? One of the default themes like Mythbuntu or MythCenter-wide are good options (if you are not already on default Mythbuntu theme...).

Also what version of MythTV? Out of the box Mythbuntu defaults to 0.25/fixes whereas current supported is 0.27/fixes. In terminal: mythfrontend --version is probably quickest way to find out.

Deleted group won't appear in Group Filter list if it is empty.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
Did you create any recording groups?

I know sometimes when a recording group is empty, it shows an empty screen
in 'Watch Recordings'.

Enter the 'Watch Recordings' screen. Press M (Menu) to bring up the
'Recording List Menu' popup. Select 'Change Group View' and cycle through
the available options. I just used the 'Default' group myself.

Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>wrote:

> What theme are you using? One of the default themes like Mythbuntu or
> MythCenter-wide are good options (if you are not already on default
> Mythbuntu theme...).

I am using the default Mythbuntu theme, though the list of programs was
still blank using two other themes that I tried.

> Also what version of MythTV? Out of the box Mythbuntu defaults to
> 0.25/fixes whereas current supported is 0.27/fixes. In terminal:
> mythfrontend --version is probably quickest way to find out.

That command reports v0.25.2-15-g46cab93, from the 0.25/fixes branch.

I may have just stumbled onto another clue, though I don't know how to
interpret it. I installed the frontend (same version) for Windows on an old
laptop. I can connect to the backend, and the system status and upcoming
recordings are what I expect. What is odd is that the "Watch Recordings"
screen on the Windows frontend behaves exactly like it does on the
Mythbuntu system. That is, it lists no programs and says 'No recordings
available or screen loading' across the bottom.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:20:20 -0000, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> What theme are you using? One of the default themes like Mythbuntu or
>> MythCenter-wide are good options (if you are not already on default
>
> I am using the default Mythbuntu theme, though the list of programs was
> still blank using two other themes that I tried.
>
>> Also what version of MythTV? Out of the box Mythbuntu defaults to
>> 0.25/fixes whereas current supported is 0.27/fixes. In terminal:
>
> That command reports v0.25.2-15-g46cab93, from the 0.25/fixes branch.
>
> I may have just stumbled onto another clue, though I don't know how to
> interpret it. I installed the frontend (same version) for Windows on an
> old >laptop. I can connect to the backend, and the system status and
> upcoming recordings are what I expect. What is odd is that the "Watch
> >Recordings" screen on the Windows frontend behaves exactly like it does
> on the Mythbuntu system. That is, it lists no programs and says 'No
> >recordings available or screen loading' across the bottom.

I wonder if your backend database has crashed tables. If so you should see
SQL errors in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and can fix it by running
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl
(whilst the backend isn't running)

Otherwise you can run 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel debug' to see
the frontend/db interactions. Ideally pastebin it here and someone should
be able to spot the problem.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com>wrote:

> I wonder if your backend database has crashed tables. If so you should
> see SQL errors in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and can fix it by running
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl(whilst the backend isn't running)
>
> Otherwise you can run 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel debug' to see
> the frontend/db interactions. Ideally pastebin it here and someone should
> be able to spot the problem.

I did not see any obvious SQL errors, but I shut down the backend and ran
the optimize_mythdb.pl script anyway. The result was the same afterwards as
it was before. I did, however, see an unusual message "GetPlaybackURL:
'1022_20140121190000.mpg' should be local, but it can not be found" in the
backend log [1].

I also started the frontend with 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel
debug' as suggested and captured its output [2]. This has some other
messages that might hint at the problem, including
"RemoteGetRecordingList() list size appears to be incorrect" and
"PlaybackBox: SortedList is Empty"

[1] Backend log: http://pastebin.com/AxTnLRth
[2] Frontend log: http://pastebin.com/idPDU3zB
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 1/22/2014 10:16 AM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Roger Siddons
> <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com <mailto:dizygotheca@ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
> I wonder if your backend database has crashed tables. If so you
> should see SQL errors in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and can
> fix it by running
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl
> <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> (whilst the backend isn't running)
>
> Otherwise you can run 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel debug'
> to see the frontend/db interactions. Ideally pastebin it here and
> someone should be able to spot the problem.
>

> I did not see any obvious SQL errors, but I shut down the backend and
> ran the optimize_mythdb.pl <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> script anyway.
> The result was the same afterwards as it was before. I did, however,
> see an unusual message "GetPlaybackURL: '1022_20140121190000.mpg'
> should be local, but it can not be found" in the backend log [1].
>
> I also started the frontend with 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel
> debug' as suggested and captured its output [2]. This has some other
> messages that might hint at the problem, including
> "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size appears to be incorrect" and
> "PlaybackBox: SortedList is Empty"
>
> [1] Backend log: http://pastebin.com/AxTnLRth
> [2] Frontend log: http://pastebin.com/idPDU3zB

Did you happen to change the hostname to 'mythbe' just before this issue
started?

--
Jim
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Jim <lists@morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:

> Did you happen to change the hostname to 'mythbe' just before this issue
> started?

No, that has been the hostname (defined with a static IP in /etc/hosts)
since I built the machine a few weeks ago.

Everything had been working fine until Monday night. What I had done
shortly before I first observed this problem is experiment with
repositioning my antenna and then rescanning for channels.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 01/22/2014 10:16 AM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> I also started the frontend with 'mythfrontend -v database --loglevel
> debug' as suggested and captured its output [2]. This has some other
> messages that might hint at the problem, including
> "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size appears to be incorrect"

First, make sure the TEMP directory on your MySQL server host isn't full.

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend upgrading to a current, supported
version (0.27-fixes). We worked around a Qt-MySQL bug that can cause
this, but I don't remember which version the fix went in.

Mike
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> First, make sure the TEMP directory on your MySQL server host isn't full.

I just checked. All partitions have at least 5 GB of free space.

> If that doesn't help, I'd recommend upgrading to a current, supported
> version (0.27-fixes). We worked around a Qt-MySQL bug that can cause this,
> but I don't remember which version the fix went in.

I have now upgraded to 0.27 but the problem remains.

Thanks for the help, everybody. Since it's a relatively new system with not
much of value on it yet, I guess it's probably better to just give up and
reinstall from scratch than to try and debug it further.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 22 January 2014 14:45, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am left wondering whether you missed that I already read the FAQ entry on
> this or if you're trying to point out a subtle nuance I overlooked. Even a
> little bit of commentary along with your link would be helpful.

did you record those programs from liveTV?

There's a current bug in mythtv where sometimes a recording started
from liveTV or the recording started while you were watching the same
program in liveTV is tagged is being liveTV

as such, it doesn't show by default in the recording screen, and you
must change the show recording filter to show also liveTV programs...

From there you can change the group of the recording can be changed
from liveTV to Default or whatever you wish.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>wrote:

> did you record those programs from liveTV?
>
> There's a current bug in mythtv where sometimes a recording started
> from liveTV or the recording started while you were watching the same
> program in liveTV is tagged is being liveTV
>
> as such, it doesn't show by default in the recording screen, and you
> must change the show recording filter to show also liveTV programs...

Some were recorded as live TV, while some were programs scheduled in
advanced. No programs show up in the list at all, regardless of how they
were recorded.

I do appreciate the help, but I've resigned myself to just reinstalling
from scratch when I can find the time.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 01:09:53 -0000, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> did you record those programs from liveTV?
>>
>> There's a current bug in mythtv where sometimes a recording started
>> from liveTV or the recording started while you were watching the same
>> program in liveTV is tagged is being liveTV
>>
>> as such, it doesn't show by default in the recording screen, and you
>> must change the show recording filter to show also liveTV programs...
>
> Some were recorded as live TV, while some were programs scheduled in
> advanced. No programs show up in the list at all, regardless of how
> >they were recorded.
> I do appreciate the help, but I've resigned myself to just reinstalling
> from scratch when I can find the time.

I thought you had already done so but if you're still willing...

That "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size appears to be incorrect" is the
problem. And if you're now on 0.27 it seems not to be Qt issue.

I'd be interested to see a database log of your backend - "mythbackend -v
general,database --loglevel debug'. Start it up, start the frontend, go
into the Watch Recordings then shut it down.

And could you clarify your setup:

2014-01-22 08:46:24.597983 D Adding link-local '169.254.10.90' to address
list.
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598015 D Adding link-local
'FE80::225:B3FF:FE0C:B7F6%eth0' to address list.
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598034 D Adding BackendServerIP to address list.
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598052 D Adding link-local
'FE80::B2C7:45FF:FEAA:4692%wlan0' to address list.
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598182 I Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6547
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598261 I Listening on TCP 169.254.10.90:6547
2014-01-22 08:46:24.598309 I Listening on TCP 172.16.5.109:6547

Your using a combined frontend/backend on 172.16... but what's the
169.254... ?
I have seen some talk of 'issues' with link-local addresses on some
set-ups. There is an option to disable them somewhere so that might be
worth a shot.

I ask because of the odd (to me anyway):

2014-01-22 08:46:29.486023 D SendReceiveStringList(QUERY_HOSTNAME) called
from UI thread
2014-01-22 08:46:31.384960 D
SendReceiveStringList(QUERY_IS_ACTIVE_BACKEND,mythbe) called from UI thread

Maybe they're just old 0.25 messages but I don't recall seeing those on a
basic setup.

Finally you could also try restoring an old database (or dropping it
completely). That may indicate whether it's a configuration issue or a
corrupted database.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
Then restore
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com>wrote:

> I thought you had already done so but if you're still willing...
>
> That "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size appears to be incorrect" is the
> problem. And if you're now on 0.27 it seems not to be Qt issue.
>
> I'd be interested to see a database log of your backend - "mythbackend -v
> general,database --loglevel debug'. Start it up, start the frontend, go
> into the Watch Recordings then shut it down.
>
> And could you clarify your setup:
>
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.597983 D Adding link-local '169.254.10.90' to address
> list.
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598015 D Adding link-local
> 'FE80::225:B3FF:FE0C:B7F6%eth0' to address list.
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598034 D Adding BackendServerIP to address list.
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598052 D Adding link-local
> 'FE80::B2C7:45FF:FEAA:4692%wlan0' to address list.
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598182 I Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6547
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598261 I Listening on TCP 169.254.10.90:6547
> 2014-01-22 08:46:24.598309 I Listening on TCP 172.16.5.109:6547
>
> Your using a combined frontend/backend on 172.16... but what's the
> 169.254... ?
> I have seen some talk of 'issues' with link-local addresses on some
> set-ups. There is an option to disable them somewhere so that might be
> worth a shot.

FWIW, the link-local address is used only to connect eth0 directly to the
HD HomeRun tuner via a short ethernet cable.

And now for the miraculous part... I rebooted the machine after upgrading
to 0.27 earlier today just for good measure. As I reported previously, the
program listing was still totally empty afterwards. However, after shutting
down the backend and restarting it with the debug flags as requested just
now, the list of recordings started showing up again. I then rebooted the
machine again and they were still listed after it came back up. Although it
doesn't make much sense, the problem appears to be solved now.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:

> And now for the miraculous part... I rebooted the machine after upgrading
> to 0.27 earlier today just for good measure. As I reported previously, the
> program listing was still totally empty afterwards. However, after shutting
> down the backend and restarting it with the debug flags as requested just
> now, the list of recordings started showing up again. I then rebooted the
> machine again and they were still listed after it came back up. Although it
> doesn't make much sense, the problem appears to be solved now.

I mention this only as an FYI, since I am planning on rebuilding the
machine anyway, but the problem resurfaced again today.

Although it does not make sense in my mind, the common thread with both
occurrences was that it happened shortly after I rescanned for channels in
the backend setup.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 01/26/2014 07:11 PM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Tom Wheelerwrote:
>
> And now for the miraculous part... I rebooted the machine after
> upgrading to 0.27 earlier today just for good measure. As I
> reported previously, the program listing was still totally empty
> afterwards. However, after shutting down the backend and
> restarting it with the debug flags as requested just now, the list
> of recordings started showing up again. I then rebooted the
> machine again and they were still listed after it came back up.
> Although it doesn't make much sense, the problem appears to be
> solved now.
>

> I mention this only as an FYI, since I am planning on rebuilding the
> machine anyway, but the problem resurfaced again today.
>
> Although it does not make sense in my mind, the common thread with
> both occurrences was that it happened shortly after I rescanned for
> channels in the backend setup.

It sounds like you're creating "shadow" channels (i.e. multiple copies
of channels, of which one is properly linked to the source/getting
filled) or something. This can also happen when you have
unconnected/partially-configured capture cards or video sources (but if
it's really happening right after channel scans, it's more likely shadow
channels).

I highly recommend always deleting all channels in a Video Source before
rescanning (ideally, just doing "Delete all Video Sources") to make sure
there's nothing extra in there that you may not notice.

Mike
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> It sounds like you're creating "shadow" channels (i.e. multiple copies of
> channels, of which one is properly linked to the source/getting filled) or
> something. This can also happen when you have
> unconnected/partially-configured capture cards or video sources (but if
> it's really happening right after channel scans, it's more likely shadow
> channels).
>
> I highly recommend always deleting all channels in a Video Source before
> rescanning (ideally, just doing "Delete all Video Sources") to make sure
> there's nothing extra in there that you may not notice.

Thanks, Mike. I will give that a shot tomorrow and report back with the
results.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you're creating "shadow" channels (i.e. multiple copies of
>> channels, of which one is properly linked to the source/getting filled) or
>> something. This can also happen when you have
>> unconnected/partially-configured capture cards or video sources (but if
>> it's really happening right after channel scans, it's more likely shadow
>> channels).
>>
>> I highly recommend always deleting all channels in a Video Source before
>> rescanning (ideally, just doing "Delete all Video Sources") to make sure
>> there's nothing extra in there that you may not notice.
>>

> Thanks, Mike. I will give that a shot tomorrow and report back with the
> results.

The problem did indeed go away when I deleted all channels and then
re-added them. I updated the FAQ entry to mention this possibility.

Thanks for the help!
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 01/27/2014 12:12 PM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> It sounds like you're creating "shadow" channels (i.e. multiple copies of
>>> channels, of which one is properly linked to the source/getting filled) or
>>> something. This can also happen when you have
>>> unconnected/partially-configured capture cards or video sources (but if
>>> it's really happening right after channel scans, it's more likely shadow
>>> channels).
>>>
>>> I highly recommend always deleting all channels in a Video Source before
>>> rescanning (ideally, just doing "Delete all Video Sources") to make sure
>>> there's nothing extra in there that you may not notice.
>>>
>> Thanks, Mike. I will give that a shot tomorrow and report back with the
>> results.
>>
> The problem did indeed go away when I deleted all channels and then
> re-added them. I updated the FAQ entry to mention this possibility.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Wait a minute... After going back through some of the old messages in
this thread to find which FAQ entry you meant, I'm confused. Are you
really talking about recordings not showing up in the "Watch Recordings"
screen? Your channels should be irrelevant to what shows up in Watch
Recordings. Watch Recordings simply lists the available,
already-recorded shows. I have many recordings for which channels no
longer exist (because of changes to channels since the recording was made).

Perhaps you were talking about the "Upcoming Recordings" screen (Manage
Recordings|Upcoming Recordings, IIRC)? Upcoming Recordings lists the
scheduled-for-future-recording shows. It would be affected by the
channels you have available/misconfiguration of channels/shadow channels.

If so, it seems that the terminology was the reason we had such a hard
time tracking down the source of the issue.

Mike
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> Wait a minute... After going back through some of the old messages in
> this thread to find which FAQ entry you meant, I'm confused. Are you
> really talking about recordings not showing up in the "Watch Recordings"
> screen? Your channels should be irrelevant to what shows up in Watch
> Recordings. Watch Recordings simply lists the available, already-recorded
> shows. I have many recordings for which channels no longer exist (because
> of changes to channels since the recording was made).
>
> Perhaps you were talking about the "Upcoming Recordings" screen (Manage
> Recordings|Upcoming Recordings, IIRC)? Upcoming Recordings lists the
> scheduled-for-future-recording shows. It would be affected by the channels
> you have available/misconfiguration of channels/shadow channels.
>
> If so, it seems that the terminology was the reason we had such a hard
> time tracking down the source of the issue.

Yes, I am really talking about the list of recordings being totally empty
when I go to Media Library -> Watch Recording. That is, the shows I have
previously recorded do not show up there, despite being listed in the
database and existing as files on disk. I have twice experienced this
problem in MythTV: originally while running 0.25 and once again after
upgrading to 0.27. Both times occurred after I had rescanned for channels
after changing my antenna setup.

I don't know much about how MythTV works, and while I did think the idea
about shadow channels should not affect past recordings, I figured I would
follow the advice anyway. Perhaps what is truly relevant here is that after
making the change, it ran 'mythfilldatabase' again and maybe that is what
fixed it. With that in mind, I just reverted my change to the FAQ.
Re: No Programs Listed in "Media Library" [ In reply to ]
On 01/27/2014 02:32 PM, Tom Wheeler wrote:
> Yes, I am really talking about the list of recordings being totally
> empty when I go to Media Library -> Watch Recording. That is, the
> shows I have previously recorded do not show up there, despite being
> listed in the database and existing as files on disk. I have twice
> experienced this problem in MythTV: originally while running 0.25 and
> once again after upgrading to 0.27. Both times occurred after I had
> rescanned for channels after changing my antenna setup.
>
> I don't know much about how MythTV works, and while I did think the
> idea about shadow channels should not affect past recordings, I
> figured I would follow the advice anyway. Perhaps what is truly
> relevant here is that after making the change, it ran
> 'mythfilldatabase' again and maybe that is what fixed it. With that in
> mind, I just reverted my change to the FAQ.

In that case, and because of the "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size
appears to be incorrect." message, I'd guess that there was some
corrupt/unhandled data in your channel data that, when channel
information was pulled in for display with your recordings, caused a
failure. I'm not sure what exactly could cause that, but I'd (wild)
guess it could be something like a null character in a channel name or
call sign or something like that. If so, it would be good to find out
exactly what was causing it so that we could write code to prevent such
bad data getting into the database.

Mike