Mailing List Archive

0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL
Hi,

0.26 configure recognizes that my system has OpenGL installed, but 0.27
configure does not:

# Video Output Support
x11 support yes
xrandr support yes
xv support yes
VDPAU support yes
VAAPI support no
CrystalHD support no
OpenGL video no
MHEG support yes
libass subtitle support yes

glxinfo says "Direct Rendering" is available.

I am using the NVidia binary driver under Gentoo with KDE.

Anything I can do to find out why this is happening?

Thanks!

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 01/21/2014 04:04 PM, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 0.26 configure recognizes that my system has OpenGL installed, but 0.27
> configure does not:
>
> # Video Output Support
> x11 support yes
> xrandr support yes
> xv support yes
> VDPAU support yes
> VAAPI support no
> CrystalHD support no
> OpenGL video no
> MHEG support yes
> libass subtitle support yes
>
> glxinfo says "Direct Rendering" is available.
>
> I am using the NVidia binary driver under Gentoo with KDE.
>
> Anything I can do to find out why this is happening?

Is Qt compiled without OpenGL support (or with OpenGL ES support--which
is probably not the right choice since yours is a desktop and not an
embedded system). Do you have proper OpenGL "development" support
(GL/gl.h for example).

Mike
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Thomas Börkel <thomas@boerkel.de> wrote:

> Anything I can do to find out why this is happening?

config.log should tell you everything you need to know
(and since you are compiling from source, you are probably
already familiar with the autotools way of doing things).
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 1/21/2014 4:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Do you have proper OpenGL "development" support (GL/gl.h for example).

Gentoo doesn't try to save trivial amounts of storage space by omitting
header files. If you have the libraries, you have the headers.
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 01/22/2014 09:26 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/21/2014 4:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Do you have proper OpenGL "development" support (GL/gl.h for example).
>
> Gentoo doesn't try to save trivial amounts of storage space by
> omitting header files. If you have the libraries, you have the headers.

OK, does he have them in a location where configure can find them and/or
is he sure that he's not overriding the search path for configure such
that they're not found? :)

Mike
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
I also have Gentoo and found that I have the same problem with opengl not
configuring when building Mythtv. Here is what I tried and found.

I checked that the kernel options per this wiki.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Hardware_3D_acceleration_guide

I re-installed mesa and nvidia-drivers.

I checked and do have GL/gl.h

glxgears does run. However, when I do glxinfo | grep rendering it shows my
direct rendering : No and glxinfo | grep -i opengl does not have the core
profile lines like in this discussion

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-954908-start-0.html

So I suspect this to be a problem system wide and not with the Mythtv
configure script. Still I have not quite tracked down what is wrong with
the direct renderer and any help would be appreciated to what might sort
this out. I am hoping this will fix the opengl configure problem with
Mythtv

Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 20:01, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> I also have Gentoo and found that I have the same problem with opengl
> not configuring when building Mythtv. Here is what I tried and found.
> glxgears does run. However, when I do glxinfo | grep |rendering it
> shows my direct rendering : No and |glxinfo | grep |-i opengl does not
> have the core profile lines like in this discussion

We do not have the same problem:

$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
direct rendering: Yes
GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,

$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.76
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg
compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.76
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.76
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg
compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.76
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

Did you check this:
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] nvidia *
[2] xorg-x11

The 0.26 configure script works OK for me, as I said.

Regards.
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 17:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> OK, does he have them in a location where configure can find them and/or
> is he sure that he's not overriding the search path for configure such
> that they're not found? :)

gl.h is here:
/usr/include/GL/gl.h

Here is the full output of configure, when I interrupt the build and run
it manually in the work dir:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libdir-name=lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-audio-alsa --disable-audio-jack
--disable-audio-pulseoutput --disable-altivec --enable-dvb
--disable-firewire --enable-lirc --enable-libxvid
--dvb-path=/usr/include --enable-xrandr --enable-xv --enable-x11
--enable-nonfree --disable-libcec --disable-libdns-sd --enable-libtheora
--enable-libvorbis --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libvpx
--enable-libfaac --with-bindings=perl,python --python=python2.7
--compile-type=profile --enable-vdpau --disable-vaapi
--disable-joystick-menu --enable-symbol-visibility --enable-pic
--cpu=i686 --disable-distcc
Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'
Must specify package names on the command line
# Basic Settings
Compile type profile
Compiler cache yes
DistCC no
qmake /usr/bin/qmake
install prefix /usr
runtime prefix /usr
CPU x86 x86_32 (i686)
yasm yes
MMX enabled yes
MMXEXT enabled yes
3DNow! enabled yes
3DNow! extended enabled yes
SSE enabled yes
SSSE3 enabled yes
AVX enabled yes
FMA4 enabled yes
CMOV enabled yes

# Input Support
Joystick menu no
lirc support yes
libCEC device support no [/usr/include]
Video4Linux support yes
ivtv support yes
HD-PVR support yes
FireWire support no
DVB support yes [/usr/include]
DVB-S2 support yes
HDHomeRun support yes
Ceton support yes
ASI support no

# Sound Output Support
PulseAudio support no
OSS support yes
ALSA support yes
JACK support no
libfftw3 support no

# Video Output Support
x11 support yes
xrandr support yes
xv support yes
VDPAU support yes
VAAPI support no
CrystalHD support no
OpenGL video no
MHEG support yes
libass subtitle support yes

# Misc Features
multi threaded libavcodec yes
libxml2 support yes [/usr/include/libxml2]
libdns_sd (Bonjour) no
libcrypto yes
Frontend yes
Backend yes
OpenGL ES 2.0 no
mythlogserver yes

# Bindings
bindings_perl yes
bindings_python yes
bindings_php yes

# External Codec Options
mp3lame yes
faac yes
xvid yes
x264 yes
vpx yes
SDL no

Creating libs/libmythbase/mythconfig.h and libs/libmythbase/mythconfig.mak

WARNING: When using --arch=X or --cpu=X you must include the
output of ./configure along with any bug report.

Configuring zeromq...
Configuring nzmqt...
Configuring qjson...
Configuring libhdhomerun...
Configuring libmythbluray...
Configuring libsamplerate...

Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 00:01, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> config.log should tell you everything you need to know
> (and since you are compiling from source, you are probably
> already familiar with the autotools way of doing things).

Gentoo is compiling from source, but I am not the export on compiling
manually.

config.log only contains the configure call with parameters.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Thomas Börkel <thomas@boerkel.de> wrote:
> config.log only contains the configure call with parameters.

Sorry, my bad. config.ep
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
I have already checked setting eselect opengl

What do you have set for VIDEO_CARD in /etc/make.conf?

Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 22:34, Dan Littlejohn wrote:

> What do you have set for VIDEO_CARD in /etc/make.conf?

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 22:20, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

>> config.log only contains the configure call with parameters.
>
> Sorry, my bad. config.ep

Can't say I see anything in there what could be the cause:
http://www.boerkel.de/config.ep

Thanks!

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 23 January 2014 08:17, Thomas Börkel <thomas@boerkel.de> wrote:

> Here is the full output of configure, when I interrupt the build and run
> it manually in the work dir:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libdir-name=lib
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-audio-alsa --disable-audio-jack
> --disable-audio-pulseoutput --disable-altivec --enable-dvb
> --disable-firewire --enable-lirc --enable-libxvid
> --dvb-path=/usr/include --enable-xrandr --enable-xv --enable-x11
> --enable-nonfree --disable-libcec --disable-libdns-sd --enable-libtheora
> --enable-libvorbis --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libvpx
> --enable-libfaac --with-bindings=perl,python --python=python2.7
> --compile-type=profile --enable-vdpau --disable-vaapi
> --disable-joystick-menu --enable-symbol-visibility --enable-pic
> --cpu=i686 --disable-distcc

Seeing this, it makes you wonder about the logic behind using some of
those compilation flags...
It cripples the feature set of mythtv (no AirPlay for a start), most
(if not all) are self-detected and forcing them can only introduce
errors.

if you want to see what's going on, and why opengl headers/libs aren't
detected you have a config.ep file generated that contains the output
of all internal commands use for detecting features.

post that config.ep somewhere so someone can review it
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 23 January 2014 08:46, Thomas Börkel <thomas@boerkel.de> wrote:
> HI!
>
> On 22.01.2014 22:20, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>>> config.log only contains the configure call with parameters.
>>
>> Sorry, my bad. config.ep
>
> Can't say I see anything in there what could be the cause:
> http://www.boerkel.de/config.ep

it looks like your Qt is configured for OpenGL ES, but you do not have
the OpenGL ES headers or lib installed.

run the following command:

pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
pressed send too quickly

On 23 January 2014 08:59, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> run the following command:
>
> pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'

this should return QtOpenGL if everything is good, then you do:

pkg-config --variable=qt_config QtOpenGL

(replace QtOpenGL with whatever "pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt |
grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'" returned)
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 22:46 +0100, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> HI!
>
> On 22.01.2014 22:20, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
> >> config.log only contains the configure call with parameters.
> >
> > Sorry, my bad. config.ep
>
> Can't say I see anything in there what could be the cause:
> http://www.boerkel.de/config.ep

QTDIR=/usr/qt/3
QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster

That looks suspicious ??

Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 22:59, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> it looks like your Qt is configured for OpenGL ES, but you do not have
> the OpenGL ES headers or lib installed.

I am not aware of enabling OpenGL ES.

> run the following command:
>
> pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'

# pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'

Outputs only that warning.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 22.01.2014 23:04, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>> pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
>
> this should return QtOpenGL if everything is good, then you do:
>
> pkg-config --variable=qt_config QtOpenGL
>
> (replace QtOpenGL with whatever "pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt |
> grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'" returned)

Although the first command does not output anything, my Qt installation
must have OpenGL, because 0.26 configure does find it and I can enable
the OpenGL painter in 0.26.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 23.01.2014 00:31, HP-mini wrote:

> QTDIR=/usr/qt/3
> QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=raster
>
> That looks suspicious ??

Can't say where that comes from. The only Qt3 thing I have installed is
Qt3Support from Qt4.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 23 January 2014 17:28, Thomas Börkel <thomas@boerkel.de> wrote:
> HI!
>
> On 22.01.2014 23:04, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>>> pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
>>
>> this should return QtOpenGL if everything is good, then you do:
>>
>> pkg-config --variable=qt_config QtOpenGL
>>
>> (replace QtOpenGL with whatever "pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt |
>> grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'" returned)
>
> Although the first command does not output anything, my Qt installation
> must have OpenGL, because 0.26 configure does find it and I can enable
> the OpenGL painter in 0.26.

0.26 didn't have the workaround that determine if you're running
OpenGL ES or OpenGL.

the configure script uses pkg-config utility to determine what the
various configuration of the packaged installed. Here it seems that
pkg-config is either not configure properly or doesn't know about Qt.

As such, the configure scripts considers that Qt doesn't have OpenGL
support and doesn't activate it...

If you do have pkg-config installed and configure, you should check
the Qt package so it properly sets pkg-config information
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
I had the same error

# pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'

And that is owned by the package cyrus-sasl. So I removed it (temporarily)
and the command returns OpenGL and Mythtv also configures correctly
recognizing OpenGL.

I believe this is a Gentoo package problem and now I and trying upgrading
the packages on my box to see if that fixes it (ie emerge -uDvdN world)

Dan

Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 24 January 2014 01:47, Dan Littlejohn <dan.littlejohn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same error
>

> # pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
> Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'
>
> And that is owned by the package cyrus-sasl. So I removed it (temporarily)
> and the command returns OpenGL and Mythtv also configures correctly
> recognizing OpenGL.
>
> I believe this is a Gentoo package problem and now I and trying upgrading
> the packages on my box to see if that fixes it (ie emerge -uDvdN world)

ohhhhh...

of course, the pkg-config throws that error message, it's going to
confuse like crazy the configure script ..

not sure why I didn't see that before
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
On 01/23/2014 09:59 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 24 January 2014 01:47, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>> I had the same error
>>

>> # pkg-config --list-all | grep Qt | grep OpenGL | awk '{print $1}'
>> Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'
>>
>> And that is owned by the package cyrus-sasl. So I removed it (temporarily)
>> and the command returns OpenGL and Mythtv also configures correctly
>> recognizing OpenGL.
>>
>> I believe this is a Gentoo package problem and now I and trying upgrading
>> the packages on my box to see if that fixes it (ie emerge -uDvdN world)
> ohhhhh...
>
> of course, the pkg-config throws that error message, it's going to
> confuse like crazy the configure script ..
>
> not sure why I didn't see that before

pkg-config is /supposed/ to output errors on stderr and still output the
requested info on stdout.

That's how it works on my system. I created a broken libsasl2.pc in
/tmp/pkgconfig and get:

$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/pkgconfig --list-all | grep Qt
QtDesignerComponents Qtdesignercomponents -
Qtdesignercomponents Library
QtGui Qtgui - Qtgui Library
QtSql Qtsql - Qtsql Library
QtWebKit Qtwebkit - Qtwebkit Library
Variable 'exec_prefix' not defined in '/tmp/pkgconfig/libsasl2.pc'
QtXmlPatterns Qtxmlpatterns - Qtxmlpatterns Library
QtNetwork Qtnetwork - Qtnetwork Library
QtScript Qtscript - Qtscript Library
QtTest Qttest - Qt Unit Testing Library

(Notice the error amid the stdout output.)

Also, from the pkg-config man page:
-----
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
A colon-separated (on Windows, semicolon-separated)
list of
directories to search for .pc files. The default
directory will
always be searched after searching the path; the default
is lib-
dir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig where libdir is the
libdir where
pkg-config and datadir is the datadir where
pkg-config was
installed.
-----
shows that it's using the specified path (and finding the error)
/before/ it's looking in the standard path (where it finds the Qt
stuff), so it's not just a matter of it working properly with the
standard path (and outputting Qt-related info), then finding the error
and exiting/failing/crashing/...

Does it really prevent any output from pkg-config on yours? What
version of pkg-config? It sounds to me like a bug in pkg-config (and
the broken libsasl2.pc, though it should be fixed, is simply triggering
the pkg-config bug). The pkg-config command is supposed to do its best
to give the information requested, or else the entire development system
is broken when /any/ package has a bad pkg-config file (and this happens
/far/ more often than most probably realize). That's a terrible design,
so I hope it's not an intentional change to pkg-config.

If that's not the case--if pkg-config now refuses to work unless every
single pc file is perfect--we're going to have a lot of people
complaining about MythTV breakage when other programs are broken.

Mike
Re: 0.27 configure script does not recognize OpenGL [ In reply to ]
HI!

On 23.01.2014 16:27, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Does it really prevent any output from pkg-config on yours? What

Seems so.

> version of pkg-config? It sounds to me like a bug in pkg-config (and

0.28, installed Feb 2013 and no newer version available for Gentoo.

> the broken libsasl2.pc, though it should be fixed, is simply triggering
> the pkg-config bug). The pkg-config command is supposed to do its best
> to give the information requested, or else the entire development system
> is broken when /any/ package has a bad pkg-config file (and this happens
> /far/ more often than most probably realize). That's a terrible design,
> so I hope it's not an intentional change to pkg-config.

The file it complains about belongs to cyrus-sasl 2.1.26, installed July
2013 and also no newer version available for Gentoo.

> If that's not the case--if pkg-config now refuses to work unless every
> single pc file is perfect--we're going to have a lot of people
> complaining about MythTV breakage when other programs are broken.

Can I workaround this problem by changing something in configure?

Thanks

Regards,
Thomas