increasing performance in the nvidia settings would change that.

The wiki says to use:

nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'

and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests placing that in

/etc/gdm/Init/Default

My Default file ends with 'exit 0'

Do I place it above or below that line?

Thanks.
Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com>

> Just realized my video card was set for adaptive and wanted to see if
> increasing performance in the nvidia settings would change that.
>
> The wiki says to use:
>
> nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>
> and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests placing that in
>
> /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>
> My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>
> Do I place it above or below that line?
>
> Thanks.

> You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will end the script.

Regards,

Andréas
Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andréas Kühne <andreas@kuhne.se> wrote:

> 2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com>
>
>> Just realized my video card was set for adaptive and wanted to see if
>> increasing performance in the nvidia settings would change that.
>>
>> The wiki says to use:
>>
>> nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>>
>> and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests placing that in
>>
>> /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>>
>> My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>>
>> Do I place it above or below that line?
>>
>> You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will end the script.

Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.
Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andréas Kühne <andreas@kuhne.se> wrote:
>

>> 2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Just realized my video card was set for adaptive and wanted to see if
>>> increasing performance in the nvidia settings would change that.
>>>
>>> The wiki says to use:
>>>
>>> nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>>>
>>> and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests placing that in
>>>
>>> /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>>>
>>> My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>>>
>>> Do I place it above or below that line?
>>>
>>> You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will end the script.
>>

> Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.

Okay...did a reboot and the powermizer settings went back to adaptive. Any
other places to put it where it will work?

Thanks.
Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
On 03/01/14 00:28, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com
> <mailto:dheianevans@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andréas Kühne <andreas@kuhne.se
> <mailto:andreas@kuhne.se>> wrote:
>

> 2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com
> <mailto:dheianevans@gmail.com>>
>
> Just realized my video card was set for adaptive and
> wanted to see if increasing performance in the nvidia
> settings would change that.
>
> The wiki says to use:
>
> nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>
> and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests
> placing that in
>
> /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>
> My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>
> Do I place it above or below that line?
>
> You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will end the
> script.
>

> Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.
>

> Okay...did a reboot and the powermizer settings went back to adaptive.
> Any other places to put it where it will work?
>
> Thanks.

Have a look at :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=129879

This gives an alternative way of doing what you want in xorg.conf

If you watch the PowerMizer Settings, it will say "Preferred Mode: Auto"
and "Current Mode: Adaptive", that doesn't matter, just leave it because
it doesn't budge from "Performance Level: 1", the max level, or in my
case "Performance Level:2" on GTS 450 using Nvidia Driver 331.20

Mike
Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 19:28 -0500, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andréas Kühne
> <andreas@kuhne.se> wrote:
>

> 2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com>
> Just realized my video card was set for
> adaptive and wanted to see if increasing
> performance in the nvidia settings would
> change that.
>
> The wiki says to use:
>
> nvidia-settings -a
> '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>
> and says it needs to be run after X starts. It
> suggests placing that in
>
> /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>
> My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>
> Do I place it above or below that line?
>

> You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will
> end the script.
>

> Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.
>

> Okay...did a reboot and the powermizer settings went back to adaptive.
> Any other places to put it where it will work?
>

> Thanks.

nvidia-settings tools saves "stuff" to hidden file:
~/.nvidia-settings-rc

This hidden file can have permissions that are problematic.
Change permissions or run tool as sudo.
(Don't save to xorg.conf file..this tool can make a mess)

You can get these custom settings reloaded with:
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only

You could use a script auto-started by the desktop session login.

Re: Powermizer changes at boot [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/01/14 00:28, Ian Evans wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.
>>

> Okay...did a reboot and the powermizer settings went back to adaptive.
> Any other places to put it where it will work?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Have a look at :
>

> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=129879
>

> This gives an alternative way of doing what you want in xorg.conf
>
> If you watch the PowerMizer Settings, it will say "Preferred Mode: Auto"
> and "Current Mode: Adaptive", that doesn't matter, just leave it because it
> doesn't budge from "Performance Level: 1", the max level, or in my case
> "Performance Level:2" on GTS 450 using Nvidia Driver 331.20
>
> Mike

Worked like a charm. Any idea if going max could cause a system to power
off for any reason? Was watching a youtube video and suddenly the computer
just powered off. TV (plugged into same outlet) was still on. Since this is
the only thing I've changed in the last few days...and this is the first
time in 2 yrs that this has happened...I just wondered if it could have
overheated the system. Any log that would give me an idea and what would I
look for?