Mailing List Archive

hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support.
OS: Ubuntu 13.10
mythtv 0.27

My HDPVR 1212 broke. I bought the new one HD PVR2 (1512).
When I connect I get a blinking light which is indicative that it is not
seen by the PC.

in /var/log/syslog I get:

Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.034617] usb 3-1: new
high-speed USB device number 18 using xhci_hcd
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 18:
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-1"
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 mtp-probe: bus: 3, device: 18 was not an MTP
device
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.063100] usb 3-1: New USB
device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=e514
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.063103] usb 3-1: New USB
device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.063104] usb 3-1: Product:
WinTV
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.063105] usb 3-1:
Manufacturer: Hauppauge
Oct 31 22:02:07 moriel-i7-4770 kernel: [ 2394.063106] usb 3-1:
SerialNumber: E514-00-00AC6C48

Mythtv-setup cannot identify the device.

Any success using the device.

Thanks
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Oct 31, 2013 10:06 PM, "Oz Dror" <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:

> My HDPVR 1212 broke. I bought the new one HD PVR2 (1512).

Despite the name similarity, the ..2 uses hardware that
is not currently supported by Linux and ( as far as I know)
no one is working on such support.
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/13 1:15 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2013 10:06 PM, "Oz Dror" <odror7@gmail.com
> <mailto:odror7@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> > My HDPVR 1212 broke. I bought the new one HD PVR2 (1512).
> >

> Despite the name similarity, the ..2 uses hardware that
> is not currently supported by Linux and ( as far as I know)
> no one is working on such support.

In such cases, one ends up feeling like one is in *BSD land... :/
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>I bought the new one HD PVR2 (1512).

I did that earlier this year as well.

> When I connect I get a blinking light which is indicative that it is not
> seen by the PC.

Yep. That's all it will do.

This was my first experience with Newegg's return process. I ended up
getting a second hand 1212 on ebay and despite the restocking/return
shipping fees, I still came out ahead.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Stephen P. Villano
<stephen.p.villano@gmail.com> wrote:
> In such cases, one ends up feeling like one is in *BSD land... :/

At least in BSD land you don't generally have any expectation that
things will work. ;)

Eric
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
Before I replace my 1212 again please confirm.

the HDPVR is the only way to record HBO etc. with mythtv ???

Thanks
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I replace my 1212 again please confirm.
>
> the HDPVR is the only way to record HBO etc. with mythtv ???

It depends on your MSO. You will have to provide
more information before that question can be answered
with any accuracy.

Gary
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Before I replace my 1212 again please confirm.
>>
>> the HDPVR is the only way to record HBO etc. with mythtv ???
>
> It depends on your MSO.

While true that it depends on his MSO, it's the common case that to
record HBO (in HD) on most MSO's, the 1212 is the recommended best
option.

Eric
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/01/2013 12:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Oz Dror<odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Before I replace my 1212 again please confirm.
>>
>> the HDPVR is the only way to record HBO etc. with mythtv ???
> It depends on your MSO. You will have to provide
> more information before that question can be answered
> with any accuracy.

See, also, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Digital_Cable

Mike
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]

Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
I have time-Warner. I will buy a new 1212.

I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)

Thanks
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)

You can, as long as you're willing to write your own driver for it.

Eric
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have time-Warner. I will buy a new 1212.
>
> I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)

If what you mean by that is test HDMI input from
your STB, that was not going to work in any event
for any protected content, since the HD-PVR2
does not do HDCP (the DRM for HDMI which is
required for transport of protected content).

Gary
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/2013 5:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have time-Warner. I will buy a new 1212.
>>
>> I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)
>
> If what you mean by that is test HDMI input from
> your STB, that was not going to work in any event
> for any protected content, since the HD-PVR2
> does not do HDCP

... for legal reasons.

Lest someone start thinking that capability was actually up to
Hauppauge, and they, or someone else, could at some point release a
product capable of capturing from an HDCP protected output.
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Nov 1, 2013 9:18 AM, "Eric Sharkey" <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I bought the new one HD PVR2 (1512).
>
> I did that earlier this year as well.
>
> > When I connect I get a blinking light which is indicative that it is not
> > seen by the PC.
>
> Yep. That's all it will do.
>
> This was my first experience with Newegg's return process. I ended up
> getting a second hand 1212 on ebay and despite the restocking/return
> shipping fees, I still came out ahead.
>
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In such cases, one ends up feeling like one is in *BSD land... :/
>
> At least in BSD land you don't generally have any expectation that
> things will work. ;)
>
> Eric

We should be emailing Hauppauge support and telling them that we are
returning their product because it doesn't have linux support.

Best case they write a linux driver (I can dream), worst case someone has
to write it themselves but perhaps they can co-operate by providing specs
etc. Heh, I suppose that's not really the worst case but you get the point.

Dave
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/13 7:33 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/1/2013 5:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have time-Warner. I will buy a new 1212.
>>>
>>> I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)
>>
>> If what you mean by that is test HDMI input from
>> your STB, that was not going to work in any event
>> for any protected content, since the HD-PVR2
>> does not do HDCP
>
> ... for legal reasons.
>
> Lest someone start thinking that capability was actually up to
> Hauppauge, and they, or someone else, could at some point release a
> product capable of capturing from an HDCP protected output.
Technically, it's for contractual reasons.
HDMI is licensed. Add in the HDCP NDA, vendors are forced to include
HDCP capabilities in their HDMI devices since HDMI CTS 1.3a and later.
Add in royalty price breaks bringing the per unit price of $0.15 down to
$0.04 with HDCP, that amounts to a rather large chunk of change.
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/13 7:33 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/1/2013 5:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have time-Warner. I will buy a new 1212.
>>>
>>> I was hopping that I can use PVR 2 (and test the HDMI input)
>>
>> If what you mean by that is test HDMI input from
>> your STB, that was not going to work in any event
>> for any protected content, since the HD-PVR2
>> does not do HDCP
>
> ... for legal reasons.
>
> Lest someone start thinking that capability was actually up to
> Hauppauge, and they, or someone else, could at some point release a
> product capable of capturing from an HDCP protected output.
Oh, nearly forgot, for those curious about the licensing agreement for HDCP:
http://www.digital-cp.com/files/static_page_files/D6724AFD-9B02-A253-D8D2FE5B1A10F7F7/HDCP_License_Agreement_082207.pdf
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/2013 8:01 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
> Technically, it's for contractual reasons.

Well... contracts are a legal concern...

Allow HDCP to be bypassed, and you lose your licensing contract (plus
your HDCP key is revoked, preventing you from continuing to bypass
HDCP). Try to do it without a licensing contract, and now there's DMCA
to get you.
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]

Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]

look at http://www.hdfury.com/
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:
>>If what you mean by that is test HDMI input from
>>your STB, that was not going to work in any event
>>for any protected content, since the HD-PVR2
>>does not do HDCP (the DRM for HDMI which is
>>required for transport of protected content).
>

> look at http://www.hdfury.com/

The hdfury is digital to analog. It doesn't preserve the digital
signal, so it introduces some level of noise. For some unfathomable
reason, this is considered ok.

In the analog world, serial copying doesn't work because the noise
from each copy adds up to unacceptable levels. The hdfury + hdpvr
allows one pass through the analog world, with further serial copying
being digital, so HDCP doesn't really do much to prevent serial
copying.

Eric
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/2013 8:36 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
> --snip--

Are you using some strange email client? Whatever you're doing, you're
not sending In-Reply-To headers, meaning you're starting a new thread
with every reply. Pretty much every mainstream client supports this
field, as well as the Gmail webmail client.
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond@wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/1/2013 8:36 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
>>
>> --snip--
>

> Are you using some strange email client? Whatever you're doing, you're not
> sending In-Reply-To headers, meaning you're starting a new thread with every
> reply. Pretty much every mainstream client supports this field, as well as
> the Gmail webmail client.

FWIW, I'm using Gmail and Oz Dror's mail is showing up in the same thread.

Eric
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
What about Dr. HDMI (from HD fury) doesn't takes care of the HDCP
handshaking
Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]

Re: hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Oz Dror <odror7@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about ....

Please see the MythTV wiki regarding mailling list
etiquette, and especially the last section 3.4
"Anything else I should be aware of?", and the
last rule....

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette