Mailing List Archive

0.26 upgrade "no database selected"
Hi all,

Afraid my update to 0.26 did not go so well:

user@MYTHTV1:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up mythtv-database
(2:0.26.0~master.20121003.6a7e351-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2) ...
*ERROR 1046 (3D000) at line 22: No database selected*
dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
mythtv depends on mythtv-database; however:
Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
No apport report written because the error message indicates it's a
follow-up error from a previous failure.

mythtv-database
mythtv

So, looking around, there are a number of threads on this. Most suggest
that the username/password may be wrong in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and
therefore it cannot connect to the database.

I have reset the passwords for mythtv@% and mythtv@local in phpmyadmin, to
match those in mysql.txt, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had issues on this? This hasn't happened before on version
upgrades.

Cheers!

Martin
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Oct 3, 2012 8:33 AM, "Martin Moores" <moores.martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Afraid my update to 0.26 did not go so well:
>
> user@MYTHTV1:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> 2 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> Setting up mythtv-database
(2:0.26.0~master.20121003.6a7e351-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2) ...
> ERROR 1046 (3D000) at line 22: No database selected
> dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
> mythtv depends on mythtv-database; however:
> Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> No apport report written because the error message indicates it's a
follow-up error from a previous failure.

> mythtv-database
> mythtv
>

> So, looking around, there are a number of threads on this. Most suggest
that the username/password may be wrong in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and
therefore it cannot connect to the database.

> I have reset the passwords for mythtv@% and mythtv@local in phpmyadmin,
to match those in mysql.txt, but to no avail.

> Has anyone else had issues on this? This hasn't happened before on
version upgrades.

> Cheers!
>
> Martin

I believe that starting with 0.26 the mysql.txt is no longer used.
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On 3 October 2012 14:17, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that starting with 0.26 the mysql.txt is no longer used.

Thanks Matt.

Your quite right and I remember reading about this on the list, just
couldn't find the threads.

So I looked in config.xml as well, replacement for mysql.txt. The password
was wrong in there, so I updated that, but still the same error message. I
also tried some different "host" values (127.0.0.1, 192.168.10.12,
localhost), but that didn't help either.

Cheers

Martin
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 October 2012 14:17, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that starting with 0.26 the mysql.txt is no longer used.
>

> Thanks Matt.
>
> Your quite right and I remember reading about this on the list, just
> couldn't find the threads.
>
> So I looked in config.xml as well, replacement for mysql.txt. The password
> was wrong in there, so I updated that, but still the same error message. I
> also tried some different "host" values (127.0.0.1, 192.168.10.12,
> localhost), but that didn't help either.
>
> Cheers

it's a packaging issue with Ubuntu. you have to manually edit the
post-install script for the mythdatabase package with your specific
information. I put it in manually as I didn't want to take the time to
figure out how they're "extracting" the info. It's really quite
annoying.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On 3 October 2012 15:53, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> it's a packaging issue with Ubuntu. you have to manually edit the
> post-install script for the mythdatabase package with your specific
> information. I put it in manually as I didn't want to take the time to
> figure out how they're "extracting" the info. It's really quite
> annoying.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply! The thought did cross my mind that these could be
edited, but where abouts are they located? No idea where to start looking.

Many thanks

Martin
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 October 2012 15:53, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it's a packaging issue with Ubuntu. you have to manually edit the
>> post-install script for the mythdatabase package with your specific
>> information. I put it in manually as I didn't want to take the time to
>> figure out how they're "extracting" the info. It's really quite
>> annoying.
>>

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the reply! The thought did cross my mind that these could be
> edited, but where abouts are they located? No idea where to start looking.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Martin

/var/lib/dpkg/info/mythtv-database.postinst

search for 'case "$1"' it should be line 74, you'll see where you can
manually place your database info. I think you also need to fix the
permissions for remote frontends to be able to connect. I'll figure
that out for sure the next time I do a package update.

case "$1" in
configure)
. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule

db_get mythtv/mysql_mythtv_dbname
database="HERE"

db_get mythtv/mysql_mythtv_user
mythtv_username="HERE"

db_get mythtv/mysql_mythtv_password
mythtv_password="HERE"

db_get mythtv/mysql_admin_user
admin_username="HERE"

if [ "$admin_username" = "debian-sys-maint" ]; then
SECURITY_INFO="--defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"
else
db_get mythtv/mysql_host
hostname="HERE"

db_get mythtv/mysql_admin_password
admin_password="HERE"

if [ "$admin_password" != "" ]; then
admin_password="-p$admin_password"
fi
SECURITY_INFO="--host=$hostname --user=$admin_username $admin_password"
fi

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On 3 October 2012 16:52, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> /var/lib/dpkg/info/mythtv-database.postinst
>
> search for 'case "$1"' it should be line 74, you'll see where you can
> manually place your database info. I think you also need to fix the
> permissions for remote frontends to be able to connect. I'll figure
> that out for sure the next time I do a package update.

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

It did help, I got past that step eventually, although not straight away,
lots of messing around and not sure what solved it in the end. I think I
have mysql issues.

Just a general question, how many entries do people have for their mythtv
user in mysql? For example, one for "localhost", "127.0.0.1", then one for
remote frontends to connect? So another entry with the master backend's IP
as host name? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.

Anyway, database updated when I entered mythtv-setup, then the local
frontend updated the database again for myth music changes. Now, mythweb
does not work and I cannot for the life of me get my remote frontend to
connect. Not my best upgrade experience, might go back tot the backup I
made this morning if I can't get things sorted tonight.

Cheers
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On 3 October 2012 21:15, Martin Moores <moores.martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> It did help, I got past that step eventually, although not straight away,
> lots of messing around and not sure what solved it in the end. I think I
> have mysql issues.
>
> Just a general question, how many entries do people have for their mythtv
> user in mysql? For example, one for "localhost", "127.0.0.1", then one for
> remote frontends to connect? So another entry with the master backend's IP
> as host name? Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
>
> Anyway, database updated when I entered mythtv-setup, then the local
> frontend updated the database again for myth music changes. Now, mythweb
> does not work and I cannot for the life of me get my remote frontend to
> connect. Not my best upgrade experience, might go back tot the backup I
> made this morning if I can't get things sorted tonight.
>
> Cheers

Well, think I have got to the bottom of everything now. All seems to
evolve around the move from mysql.txt.

For the frontend connecting, it was Mysql users that was the issue, I had
mythtv user added with "192.168.100.12" as the host, but I had not granted
it full permissions on mythconverg. I think I had tidied these up after
the upgrade, hence broke it. The following command did the trick:

mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'192.168.100.12' identified
by 'PASSWORDHERE';

With mythweb, I'm not sure, but maybe it was getting its info from
mysql.txt previously? Anyway, I had to edit
/etc/apache2/sites-available/mythweb.conf and add my database details in
there. Before that, I had to purge and remove php, apache2 and mythweb, as
something else was screwed and was getting a 404 error when accessing
mythweb.

All seems fine now, thanks for the help, hope this is useful for someone
else.

Cheers

Martin
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 October 2012 14:17, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe that starting with 0.26 the mysql.txt is no longer used.
>>

>> Thanks Matt.
>>
>> Your quite right and I remember reading about this on the list, just
>> couldn't find the threads.
>>
>> So I looked in config.xml as well, replacement for mysql.txt. The password
>> was wrong in there, so I updated that, but still the same error message. I
>> also tried some different "host" values (127.0.0.1, 192.168.10.12,
>> localhost), but that didn't help either.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> it's a packaging issue with Ubuntu. you have to manually edit the
> post-install script for the mythdatabase package with your specific
> information. I put it in manually as I didn't want to take the time to
> figure out how they're "extracting" the info. It's really quite
> annoying.
>

> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

I'm completely unable to reproduce the issue using a fresh 12.04.1
install (upgraded using default repos), enabling 0.26 repo, then doing
an upgrade there. So it would seem to me that it is not a packaging
issue. The code you are questioning is as follows

CONFIG=/etc/mythtv/config.xml
if [ -e $CONFIG ]; then
db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_dbname "`xpath -q -e
'string(//DBName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_user "`xpath -q -e
'string(//DBUserName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_password "`xpath -q -e
'string(//DBPassword)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
db_set mythtv/mysql_host "`xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
$CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
fi

Which says to read the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and set the value
to what is returned (and throw away error messages). So if you run the
following commands and don't get returns of your DBName, DBUserName,
DBPassword, and DBHostName, then there is something wrong with your
config.xml file.

xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null

For instance, on this VM I just setup, I get

thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)'
/etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
mythconverg
thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)'
/etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
mythtv
thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)'
/etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
Nal0pMRh
thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
/etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
localhost
thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

> [...]
> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_password "`xpath -q -e
> 'string(//DBPassword)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
> db_set mythtv/mysql_host "`xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
> $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
> fi
>

> Which says to read the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and set the value
> to what is returned (and throw away error messages). So if you run the
> following commands and don't get returns of your DBName, DBUserName,
> DBPassword, and DBHostName, then there is something wrong with your
> config.xml file.
>
> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>

> For instance, on this VM I just setup, I get

It bit me big time and is the exact error in the start of this
thread. 12.04.1 LTS. Still haven't got it to work....
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Andrew <mythtv@heathsworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > it's a packaging issue with Ubuntu. you have to manually edit the
>> > post-install script for the mythdatabase package with your specific
>> > information. I put it in manually as I didn't want to take the time to
>> > figure out how they're "extracting" the info. It's really quite
>> > annoying.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Steve
>> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
>> > Before you ask, read the FAQ!
>> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
>> > then search the Wiki, and this list,
>> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
>>

>> I'm completely unable to reproduce the issue using a fresh 12.04.1
>> install (upgraded using default repos), enabling 0.26 repo, then doing
>> an upgrade there. So it would seem to me that it is not a packaging
>> issue. The code you are questioning is as follows
>>

>> CONFIG=/etc/mythtv/config.xml
>> if [ -e $CONFIG ]; then
>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_dbname "`xpath -q -e
>> 'string(//DBName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_user "`xpath -q -e
>> 'string(//DBUserName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_password "`xpath -q -e
>> 'string(//DBPassword)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>> db_set mythtv/mysql_host "`xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
>> $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>> fi
>>

>> Which says to read the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and set the value
>> to what is returned (and throw away error messages). So if you run the
>> following commands and don't get returns of your DBName, DBUserName,
>> DBPassword, and DBHostName, then there is something wrong with your
>> config.xml file.
>>
>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>

>> For instance, on this VM I just setup, I get
>>
>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)'
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> mythconverg
>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)'
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> mythtv
>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)'
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> Nal0pMRh
>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>> localhost
>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas Mashos
>

> It bit me big time and is the exact error in the start of this thread.
> 12.04.1 LTS. Still haven't got it to work....

Did you verify that the 4 commands I posted return appropriate values?
Did you test logging into mysql with all 4 of those values?

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Andrew <mythtv@heathsworld.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

>>> I'm completely unable to reproduce the issue using a fresh 12.04.1
>>> install (upgraded using default repos), enabling 0.26 repo, then doing
>>> an upgrade there. So it would seem to me that it is not a packaging
>>> issue. The code you are questioning is as follows
>>>

>>> CONFIG=/etc/mythtv/config.xml
>>> if [ -e $CONFIG ]; then
>>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_dbname "`xpath -q -e
>>> 'string(//DBName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_user "`xpath -q -e
>>> 'string(//DBUserName)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>>> db_set mythtv/mysql_mythtv_password "`xpath -q -e
>>> 'string(//DBPassword)' $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>>> db_set mythtv/mysql_host "`xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
>>> $CONFIG 2>/dev/null`"
>>> fi
>>>

>>> Which says to read the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and set the value
>>> to what is returned (and throw away error messages). So if you run the
>>> following commands and don't get returns of your DBName, DBUserName,
>>> DBPassword, and DBHostName, then there is something wrong with your
>>> config.xml file.
>>>
>>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)' /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>>

>>> For instance, on this VM I just setup, I get
>>>
>>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBName)'
>>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> mythconverg
>>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBUserName)'
>>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> mythtv
>>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBPassword)'
>>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> Nal0pMRh
>>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$ xpath -q -e 'string(//DBHostName)'
>>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml 2>/dev/null
>>> localhost
>>> thomas@tmashos-testboxen5:~$
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Thomas Mashos
>>

>> It bit me big time and is the exact error in the start of this thread.
>> 12.04.1 LTS. Still haven't got it to work....

> Did you verify that the 4 commands I posted return appropriate values?
> Did you test logging into mysql with all 4 of those values?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

I wonder if it has to do with /etc/mythtv/config.xml not being "upgraded"?

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

>>> It bit me big time and is the exact error in the start of this thread.
>>> 12.04.1 LTS. Still haven't got it to work....

>> Did you verify that the 4 commands I posted return appropriate values?
>> Did you test logging into mysql with all 4 of those values?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas Mashos
>
> I wonder if it has to do with /etc/mythtv/config.xml not being "upgraded"?
>
> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Ok, now you're just guessing. That doesn't make any sense, your DB
credentials don't change during an upgrade, so there wouldn't be any
reason to "upgrade" the file. Further, as I've said before, on a clean
install the upgrade works fine, so it's something specific to your
system.

I'll ask again, this time to you. Did you verify that the 4 commands I
posted return appropriate values? Did you test logging into mysql with
all 4 of those values?

If I were to guess what may have happened, it's that at some point in
the past you reset your DB info and didn't update
/etc/mythtv/config.xml, and because mythtv no longer uses mysql.txt in
0.26 you are just now seeing the issue on package upgrade.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Did you verify that the 4 commands I posted return appropriate values?
>>> Did you test logging into mysql with all 4 of those values?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Thomas Mashos
>>
>> I wonder if it has to do with /etc/mythtv/config.xml not being "upgraded"?
>>

> Ok, now you're just guessing. That doesn't make any sense, your DB
> credentials don't change during an upgrade, so there wouldn't be any
> reason to "upgrade" the file. Further, as I've said before, on a clean
> install the upgrade works fine, so it's something specific to your
> system.
>
> I'll ask again, this time to you. Did you verify that the 4 commands I
> posted return appropriate values? Did you test logging into mysql with
> all 4 of those values?
>
> If I were to guess what may have happened, it's that at some point in
> the past you reset your DB info and didn't update
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml, and because mythtv no longer uses mysql.txt in
> 0.26 you are just now seeing the issue on package upgrade.
>
> Thanks,

$ more /etc/mythtv/config.xml
<Configuration>
<Database>
<PingHost>1</PingHost>
<Host>127.0.0.1</Host>
<UserName>mythtv</UserName>
<Password>MX0mYIpH</Password>
<DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
<Port>3306</Port>
</Database>
<WakeOnLAN>
<Enabled>0</Enabled>
<SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
<SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
<Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
</WakeOnLAN>
</Configuration>

I never reset the DB info. the time stamp of my config.xml file is
from before my upgrade to 0.26, so that is what was in there before
and everything worked fine.

I'm going to try renaming the field names to what you show as being
what they should be and see if that fixes things.

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder if it has to do with /etc/mythtv/config.xml not being "upgraded"?
>>>

>> Ok, now you're just guessing. That doesn't make any sense, your DB
>> credentials don't change during an upgrade, so there wouldn't be any
>> reason to "upgrade" the file. Further, as I've said before, on a clean
>> install the upgrade works fine, so it's something specific to your
>> system.
>>
>> I'll ask again, this time to you. Did you verify that the 4 commands I
>> posted return appropriate values? Did you test logging into mysql with
>> all 4 of those values?
>>
>> If I were to guess what may have happened, it's that at some point in
>> the past you reset your DB info and didn't update
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml, and because mythtv no longer uses mysql.txt in
>> 0.26 you are just now seeing the issue on package upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> $ more /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> <Configuration>
> <Database>
> <PingHost>1</PingHost>
> <Host>127.0.0.1</Host>
> <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
> <Password>MX0mYIpH</Password>
> <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
> <Port>3306</Port>
> </Database>
> <WakeOnLAN>
> <Enabled>0</Enabled>
> <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
> <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
> <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
> </WakeOnLAN>
> </Configuration>
>

> I never reset the DB info. the time stamp of my config.xml file is
> from before my upgrade to 0.26, so that is what was in there before
> and everything worked fine.
>
> I'm going to try renaming the field names to what you show as being
> what they should be and see if that fixes things.

upgrade went fine this time, however, I still get this:

Oct 5 19:04:31 MythCenter mythlogserver: mythbackend[29430]: E
CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was
[1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to connect#012Database error
was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password:
YES)

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
using the password in config.xml works fine however.

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, now you're just guessing. That doesn't make any sense, your DB
>>> credentials don't change during an upgrade, so there wouldn't be any
>>> reason to "upgrade" the file. Further, as I've said before, on a clean
>>> install the upgrade works fine, so it's something specific to your
>>> system.
>>>
>>> I'll ask again, this time to you. Did you verify that the 4 commands I
>>> posted return appropriate values? Did you test logging into mysql with
>>> all 4 of those values?
>>>
>>> If I were to guess what may have happened, it's that at some point in
>>> the past you reset your DB info and didn't update
>>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml, and because mythtv no longer uses mysql.txt in
>>> 0.26 you are just now seeing the issue on package upgrade.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> $ more /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>> <Configuration>
>> <Database>
>> <PingHost>1</PingHost>
>> <Host>127.0.0.1</Host>
>> <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
>> <Password>MX0mYIpH</Password>
>> <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
>> <Port>3306</Port>
>> </Database>
>> <WakeOnLAN>
>> <Enabled>0</Enabled>
>> <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
>> <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
>> <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
>> </WakeOnLAN>
>> </Configuration>
>>

>> I never reset the DB info. the time stamp of my config.xml file is
>> from before my upgrade to 0.26, so that is what was in there before
>> and everything worked fine.
>>
>> I'm going to try renaming the field names to what you show as being
>> what they should be and see if that fixes things.
>>

> upgrade went fine this time, however, I still get this:
>
> Oct 5 19:04:31 MythCenter mythlogserver: mythbackend[29430]: E
> CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was
> [1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to connect#012Database error
> was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password:
> YES)
>
> mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
> using the password in config.xml works fine however.

if I replace the fields with the previous ones (like I show above) the
backend starts.

so mythbackend likes the "old" style, but the upgrade script likes
what you listed...

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On 10/05/2012 09:11 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> if I replace the fields with the previous ones (like I show above) the
> backend starts.
>
> so mythbackend likes the "old" style, but the upgrade script likes
> what you listed

Hi;

Just to be clear, the proper 0.26 format is:

http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/contrib/config_files/config.xml

The DBxxxxxx format is 0.25 and before.

--
Bill
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

>> I wonder if it has to do with /etc/mythtv/config.xml not being "upgraded"?
>>

> Ok, now you're just guessing. That doesn't make any sense, your DB
> credentials don't change during an upgrade, so there wouldn't be any
> reason to "upgrade" the file. Further, as I've said before, on a clean
> install the upgrade works fine, so it's something specific to your
> system.
>
> I'll ask again, this time to you. Did you verify that the 4 commands I
> posted return appropriate values? Did you test logging into mysql with
> all 4 of those values?
>
> If I were to guess what may have happened, it's that at some point in
> the past you reset your DB info and didn't update
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml, and because mythtv no longer uses mysql.txt in
> 0.26 you are just now seeing the issue on package upgrade.
>
> Thanks,

Well according to the file Bill Meek pointed to,
/etc/mythtv/config.xml /should/ be getting updated to a new format.
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 09:11 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>> if I replace the fields with the previous ones (like I show above) the
>> backend starts.
>>
>> so mythbackend likes the "old" style, but the upgrade script likes
>> what you listed

> Hi;
>
> Just to be clear, the proper 0.26 format is:
>

> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/contrib/config_files/config.xml
>
> The DBxxxxxx format is 0.25 and before.
>
> --
> Bill

that's good to know! and vindication that Ubuntu is doing things wrong
is a relief. I'll just keep two config.xml files, one for Ubuntu to be
fooled into thinking is correct, and one for MythTV to properly use.
At least until Ubuntu gets their package fixed.

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/05/2012 09:11 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> if I replace the fields with the previous ones (like I show above) the
>>> backend starts.
>>>
>>> so mythbackend likes the "old" style, but the upgrade script likes
>>> what you listed

>> Hi;
>>
>> Just to be clear, the proper 0.26 format is:
>>

>> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/contrib/config_files/config.xml
>>
>> The DBxxxxxx format is 0.25 and before.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>
> that's good to know! and vindication that Ubuntu is doing things wrong
> is a relief. I'll just keep two config.xml files, one for Ubuntu to be
> fooled into thinking is correct, and one for MythTV to properly use.
> At least until Ubuntu gets their package fixed.
>

> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Without bug reports (which there isn't for this issue), how are we
suppose to fix issues?

I've sent a patch to superm1 that should resolve this.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, the proper 0.26 format is:
>>>

>>> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/contrib/config_files/config.xml
>>>
>>> The DBxxxxxx format is 0.25 and before.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill
>>
>> that's good to know! and vindication that Ubuntu is doing things wrong
>> is a relief. I'll just keep two config.xml files, one for Ubuntu to be
>> fooled into thinking is correct, and one for MythTV to properly use.
>> At least until Ubuntu gets their package fixed.
>>

> Without bug reports (which there isn't for this issue), how are we
> suppose to fix issues?
>
> I've sent a patch to superm1 that should resolve this.
>
> Thanks,

I reported the bug to the ubuntu bug tracker a few days ago. I did not
know why it was happening, but I did report that it was failing.

Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/contrib/config_files/config.xml

> >> that's good to know! and vindication that Ubuntu is doing things wrong
> >> is a relief. I'll just keep two config.xml files, one for Ubuntu to be
> >> fooled into thinking is correct, and one for MythTV to properly use.
> >> At least until Ubuntu gets their package fixed.
> >>

> > Without bug reports (which there isn't for this issue), how are we
> > suppose to fix issues?
> >
> > I've sent a patch to superm1 that should resolve this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> I reported the bug to the ubuntu bug tracker a few days ago. I did not
> know why it was happening, but I did report that it was failing.
>

> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Im another one bitten by this.
Ive now got ubuntu to do the apt-get dist-upgrade but what format do i use
for /etc/mythtv/config.xml and password to fool myth as I still cant get
myth-setup to run.
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Dave Brown <davebrown099@gmail.com> wrote:

>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
>>

> Im another one bitten by this.
> Ive now got ubuntu to do the apt-get dist-upgrade but what format do i use
> for /etc/mythtv/config.xml and password to fool myth as I still cant get
> myth-setup to run.

Ok it kind of works now on the combined FE/BE but I have to use 127.0.0.1
in mythtv-setup and in the frontend configuration. If I use the machines
ip address it wont connect to the backend. This is what I would prefer as
I have a remote frontend in another room.
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Oct 6, 2012 3:44 PM, "Dave Brown" <davebrown099@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Dave Brown <davebrown099@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> mythtv-users mailing list
>>> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
>>

>> Im another one bitten by this.
>> Ive now got ubuntu to do the apt-get dist-upgrade but what format do i
use for /etc/mythtv/config.xml and password to fool myth as I still cant
get myth-setup to run.

> Ok it kind of works now on the combined FE/BE but I have to use 127.0.0.1
in mythtv-setup and in the frontend configuration. If I use the machines
ip address it wont connect to the backend. This is what I would prefer as
I have a remote frontend in another room.

You need a mysql user with a host of the BE IP address, with full
permissions on the mythconverg database. Easy to do with php. I also posted
a command earlier in this thread. On my phone atm so can't see exactly
when.

Cheers

Martin
Re: 0.26 upgrade "no database selected" [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Martin Moores <moores.martin@gmail.com>wrote:

> You need a mysql user with a host of the BE IP address, with full
> permissions on the mythconverg database. Easy to do with php. I also posted
> a command earlier in this thread. On my phone atm so can't see exactly
> when.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin
>
> Found your post cheers Martin. Mythweb was also broken for me and
comparing mythweb.conf.dpkg-old with mythweb.conf, some database details
were missing from the new config file.

All working now thankyou

1 2  View All