serious:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.full-disclosure/86747

/Brian/
Re: Nvidia binary driver root exploit [ In reply to ]
On 08/02/2012 01:34 PM, Brian Long wrote:
> For those of us running the Nvidia binary driver, this exploit looks serious:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.full-disclosure/86747

Certainly serious, but as this is a MythTV list the significance
should not be overstated.

AIUI this is a local privilege escalation vulnerability. So a local
user is able to acquire root access to the machine. Since MythTV
generally operates in the relatively benign home environment (i.e.
no rogue users) and on machinery that is generally not itself
Internet-facing, I don't think that there is imminent danger to
the readership here, as an attacker needs to break into the
machine in the first place.

HTH, Jan
Re: Nvidia binary driver root exploit [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 01:34 PM, Brian Long wrote:
>> For those of us running the Nvidia binary driver, this exploit looks serious:
>>
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.full-disclosure/86747
>
> Certainly serious, but as this is a MythTV list the significance
> should not be overstated.
>
> AIUI this is a local privilege escalation vulnerability. So a local
> user is able to acquire root access to the machine. Since MythTV
> generally operates in the relatively benign home environment (i.e.
> no rogue users)

Barring teenagers studying compsci at university of course (yes I have one).