Mailing List Archive

Advanced recording settings - confused
I've been through the wiki but can't figure out what these options do:

1. Filters - High Definition
2. Filters - This Episode
3. Filters - This Series
4. Filters - This episode

So,
option 1 - does this force the scheduler to find an HD version of this program if available, and SD otherwise?
option 2 - This seems to be the same as "Find and record at any time on any channel"
option 3 - Isn't this the same as "Record only this showing"
option 4 - And more of the same....

Thanks!
Re: Advanced recording settings - confused [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:20:47PM -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I've been through the wiki but can't figure out what these options do:
>
> 1. Filters - High Definition
> 2. Filters - This Episode
> 3. Filters - This Series
> 4. Filters - This episode
>
> So,
> option 1 - does this force the scheduler to find an HD version of this program if available, and SD otherwise?

Not quite. It forces the scheduler to *only* consider HD versions.
SD version are ignored completely.

> option 2 - This seems to be the same as "Find and record at any time on any channel"

No. It forces the scheduler to only consider programs matching the
exact episode you chose when entering the schedule editor. It's
primarily inteded for use with "Find one showing" recording rules when
you want to record a specific episode of a series. Without the
filter, the scheduler might choose to record a different episode.

> option 3 - Isn't this the same as "Record only this showing"

No. It forces the scheduler to only consider programs matching the
exact series (as defined by the seriesid) you chose when entering the
schedule editor. It's primarily inteded for use when multiple series
or movies have the same title. Without the filter, the scheduler
would consider any programs with the same title.

> option 4 - And more of the same....

Do you actually see two "this episode" filters or is that a typo?
There should only be one such filter.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Advanced recording settings - confused [ In reply to ]
#4 was a type. I should have asked:

Whats the difference between
> Auto-expire recordings, and
> Record new and expire old

Wouldn't you have to record a new episode to expire an old one?

Thanks!
________________________________________
From: mythtv-users-bounces@mythtv.org [mythtv-users-bounces@mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Engel [david@istwok.net]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 9:52 PM
To: Myth TV Users List
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Advanced recording settings - confused

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:20:47PM -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I've been through the wiki but can't figure out what these options do:
>
> 1. Filters - High Definition
> 2. Filters - This Episode
> 3. Filters - This Series
> 4. Filters - This episode
>
> So,
> option 1 - does this force the scheduler to find an HD version of this program if available, and SD otherwise?

Not quite. It forces the scheduler to *only* consider HD versions.
SD version are ignored completely.

> option 2 - This seems to be the same as "Find and record at any time on any channel"

No. It forces the scheduler to only consider programs matching the
exact episode you chose when entering the schedule editor. It's
primarily inteded for use with "Find one showing" recording rules when
you want to record a specific episode of a series. Without the
filter, the scheduler might choose to record a different episode.

> option 3 - Isn't this the same as "Record only this showing"

No. It forces the scheduler to only consider programs matching the
exact series (as defined by the seriesid) you chose when entering the
schedule editor. It's primarily inteded for use when multiple series
or movies have the same title. Without the filter, the scheduler
would consider any programs with the same title.

> option 4 - And more of the same....

Do you actually see two "this episode" filters or is that a typo?
There should only be one such filter.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Advanced recording settings - confused [ In reply to ]
Please don't top-post. The convention on this list is to remove any
no longer relevant parts and reply in-line.

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:14:01AM -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> #4 was a type. I should have asked:
>
> Whats the difference between
> > Auto-expire recordings, and
> > Record new and expire old
>
> Wouldn't you have to record a new episode to expire an old one?

"Auto-expire recordings" controls whether or not the recording can be
removed when disk space is running low.

"Record new and expire old" applies to recording that have an episode
limit. If this option is used, the oldest recording will be deleted
regardless of disk space usage so that a new one can be recorded in
its place. If this option is not used, no new recordings will be made
until either on older one is deleted or the episode limit is raised.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users