Mailing List Archive

0.25 problems with UPnP
There's a ticket open about this but it may be that its title, which
refers to Panasonic hardware, may be too restrictive. The problem also
applies to XBMC and may be more easily diagnosed from that route. I'm
not the ticket's reporter but I'm interested in it.

The problem is that network playback works when a file is presented as a
'Video' but fails when it is a 'Recording.' An error message from XBMC
includes:

ERROR: CUPnPDirectory::GetResource - no
items returned for object
RecTv/0/item?ChanId=1003&StartTime=2012-04-06T20:59:00

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10583#comment:13

I'm inclined to believe that Myth is broadcasting the identity of this
'Recording' in a form that it doesn't recognise when it comes back; for
example, some instances of the new 'mythutil' tools expect
YYYYMMDDHHMMSS starttime and fail with other formats, including the one
read directly from the DB. A 'Video' wouldn't have a 'starttime'.

Ideas for testing welcome. Does XBMC have a commandline mode that could
explore this?

TIA

John P
Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/12 09:19, John Pilkington wrote:
> There's a ticket open about this but it may be that its title, which
> refers to Panasonic hardware, may be too restrictive. The problem also
> applies to XBMC and may be more easily diagnosed from that route. I'm
> not the ticket's reporter but I'm interested in it.
>
> The problem is that network playback works when a file is presented as a
> 'Video' but fails when it is a 'Recording.' An error message from XBMC
> includes:
>
> ERROR: CUPnPDirectory::GetResource - no
> items returned for object
> RecTv/0/item?ChanId=1003&StartTime=2012-04-06T20:59:00
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10583#comment:13
>
> I'm inclined to believe that Myth is broadcasting the identity of this
> 'Recording' in a form that it doesn't recognise when it comes back; for
> example, some instances of the new 'mythutil' tools expect
> YYYYMMDDHHMMSS starttime and fail with other formats, including the one
> read directly from the DB. A 'Video' wouldn't have a 'starttime'.
>
> Ideas for testing welcome. Does XBMC have a commandline mode that could
> explore this?
>
> TIA
>
> John P

I've now taken delivery of a new Panasonic TV and can play with it
myself. Network playback works well after I configured the firewall to
trust the ethernet, but I haven't seen frontend capabilities like
fast-forward or skip. I can play most Recordings and Videos, but there
are strange exceptions: from the laptop, now running 0.25, no
recordings made between 16 March and 5 April will play on the TV
although they are listed there. One recording lists on the TV although
it has been deleted. I traced one recording - which plays - to the
LiveTV folder, although it had been deleted from both the 'Previously
Recorded' and 'Watch Recording' screens. And there are a few recording
that play on the frontend but don't on the TV for reasons that aren't
yet apparent. It doesn't seem to be an HD/SD matter. Most of my Videos
are in fact .iso images of MythArchive DVDs. They don't play on the TV.

I haven't had much time with it yet, but picture quality is excellent
from both 0.24.3 and 0.25. So many thanks to all concerned!

John P

Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 29/04/2012 16:45, John Pilkington wrote:
> I've now taken delivery of a new Panasonic TV and can play with it
> myself. Network playback works well after I configured the firewall
> to trust the ethernet, but I haven't seen frontend capabilities like
> fast-forward or skip. I can play most Recordings and Videos, but
> there are strange exceptions: from the laptop, now running 0.25, no
> recordings made between 16 March and 5 April will play on the TV
> although they are listed there. One recording lists on the TV
> although it has been deleted. I traced one recording - which plays -
> to the LiveTV folder, although it had been deleted from both the
> 'Previously Recorded' and 'Watch Recording' screens. And there are a
> few recording that play on the frontend but don't on the TV for
> reasons that aren't yet apparent. It doesn't seem to be an HD/SD
> matter. Most of my Videos are in fact .iso images of MythArchive
> DVDs. They don't play on the TV.
>
> I haven't had much time with it yet, but picture quality is excellent
> from both 0.24.3 and 0.25. So many thanks to all concerned!
>
> John P

John,

Good to hear you've got a nice shiny new TV ;-)

I you come across anything that you *think* may cause this, please
update the ticket referenced above, as I'm stuck with this one now I'm
afraid. Anything you can find which I could test on my system to confirm
either way would be great.

Thanks,

Joe
Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 29/04/12 20:04, Joe Nyland wrote:
> On 29/04/2012 16:45, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I've now taken delivery of a new Panasonic TV and can play with it
>> myself. Network playback works well after I configured the firewall to
>> trust the ethernet, but I haven't seen frontend capabilities like
>> fast-forward or skip. I can play most Recordings and Videos, but there
>> are strange exceptions: from the laptop, now running 0.25, no
>> recordings made between 16 March and 5 April will play on the TV
>> although they are listed there. One recording lists on the TV although
>> it has been deleted. I traced one recording - which plays - to the
>> LiveTV folder, although it had been deleted from both the 'Previously
>> Recorded' and 'Watch Recording' screens. And there are a few recording
>> that play on the frontend but don't on the TV for reasons that aren't
>> yet apparent. It doesn't seem to be an HD/SD matter. Most of my Videos
>> are in fact .iso images of MythArchive DVDs. They don't play on the TV.
>>
>> I haven't had much time with it yet, but picture quality is excellent
>> from both 0.24.3 and 0.25. So many thanks to all concerned!
>>
>> John P
>
> John,
>
> Good to hear you've got a nice shiny new TV ;-)
>
> I you come across anything that you *think* may cause this, please
> update the ticket referenced above, as I'm stuck with this one now I'm
> afraid. Anything you can find which I could test on my system to confirm
> either way would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Of course. And I was wrong about the ff and skip. The arrow keys round
the OK button do that.

I've installed UPnP Inspector (Fedora 15) that now - once I got the
network working - shows lots of info, but I haven't recognised anything
that looks relevant to your problem yet. Devices it shows are VIERA E5
Series (MediaRenderer:1) and (p00RemoteController:1)

Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 29/04/2012 21:30, John Pilkington wrote:
> Of course. And I was wrong about the ff and skip. The arrow keys
> round the OK button do that.
>
> I've installed UPnP Inspector (Fedora 15) that now - once I got the
> network working - shows lots of info, but I haven't recognised
> anything that looks relevant to your problem yet. Devices it shows are
> VIERA E5 Series (MediaRenderer:1) and (p00RemoteController:1)
Thanks John, much appreciated.

Thanks for mentioning UPNP Inspector - I didn't know about that one! :-)

Cheers,

Joe
Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
I think it's time for a brief summary of my findings with UPnP, my new
Panasonic Series E5 TV, and MythTV 0.24-fixes and 0.25-fixes.

First: when it works it works well. I'm using wired ethernet behind a
router. Playback is excellent and I haven't seen anything on recorded
broadcast material (SD DVB-T and HD DVB-T2) that looks as if there might
be any attempt to limit video performance. In comparison with
Mythfrontend, navigation through large libraries of content is fairly
basic. During playback ff/fb is available from the remote; I don't
suppose that variable speed is,though.

Now the problems, 0.25 first.

Recordings are in MPEG-TS format, and play. If you transcode somehow to
MPEG-PS format (eg lossless Mythtranscode), as I usually do, the
recording doesn't play.

Videos: both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS play. A short .mp4 clip from 2DF that
Stefan Brackertz uploaded here a few weeks ago also plays. A MythVideo
scan of a previously empty Video Group lists everything twice, with
minor differences, and further scans add more copies.

0.24-fixes:

Recordings play, both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS. For Videos I see only a
VideoRoot folder with one unplayable 'Mythburn' item; I tried dropping
another video file into the only folder I could find that already had a
video of that name, and it didn't show. Google suggests this is an old
problem and 0.25 uses a different scanning mechanism. I think my Video
folders and VideoGroups are properly set up.

Since I expect to move over to 0.25 sooner or later the biggest problem
for me is the failure to play transcoded recordings presented as
recordings. The fact that this can be done in 0.24 suggests that the
problem isn't in the TV.

I'm delighted with what I've seen so far - but it would be nice to get
that difficulty sorted out. And oh, yes: I have a large collection of
MythArchive DVDs that play fine from a standalone player; any prospect
of playing them (variable speed) through the internal player and UPnP? :-)

Cheers,

John P

Re: 0.25 problems with UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 01/05/12 19:15, John Pilkington wrote:
> I think it's time for a brief summary of my findings with UPnP, my new
> Panasonic Series E5 TV, and MythTV 0.24-fixes and 0.25-fixes.
>
> First: when it works it works well. I'm using wired ethernet behind a
> router. Playback is excellent and I haven't seen anything on recorded
> broadcast material (SD DVB-T and HD DVB-T2) that looks as if there might
> be any attempt to limit video performance. In comparison with
> Mythfrontend, navigation through large libraries of content is fairly
> basic. During playback ff/fb is available from the remote; I don't
> suppose that variable speed is,though.
>
> Now the problems, 0.25 first.
>
> Recordings are in MPEG-TS format, and play. If you transcode somehow to
> MPEG-PS format (eg lossless Mythtranscode), as I usually do, the
> recording doesn't play.
>
> Videos: both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS play. A short .mp4 clip from 2DF that
> Stefan Brackertz uploaded here a few weeks ago also plays. A MythVideo
> scan of a previously empty Video Group lists everything twice, with
> minor differences, and further scans add more copies.
>
> 0.24-fixes:
>
> Recordings play, both MPEG-TS and MPEG-PS. For Videos I see only a
> VideoRoot folder with one unplayable 'Mythburn' item; I tried dropping
> another video file into the only folder I could find that already had a
> video of that name, and it didn't show. Google suggests this is an old
> problem and 0.25 uses a different scanning mechanism. I think my Video
> folders and VideoGroups are properly set up.
>
> Since I expect to move over to 0.25 sooner or later the biggest problem
> for me is the failure to play transcoded recordings presented as
> recordings. The fact that this can be done in 0.24 suggests that the
> problem isn't in the TV.
>
> I'm delighted with what I've seen so far - but it would be nice to get
> that difficulty sorted out. And oh, yes: I have a large collection of
> MythArchive DVDs that play fine from a standalone player; any prospect
> of playing them (variable speed) through the internal player and UPnP? :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> John P

I just tried using the mythlink script to create links from
'Recordings' to 'Videos.' They didn't appear immediately via UPnP but
now they're all playable. Hope they don't have hidden dangers!