Mailing List Archive

Guide Stutter
Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live TV causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection change? It appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are handled, because they all flicker as the redraw in their new positions when this happens.
Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99@live.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live TV
> causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection change?  It
> appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are handled,
> because they all flicker as the redraw in their new positions when this
> happens.

I think the icon flicker is an unrelated symptom of the
stutter/slowdown. I have the same stuttering with no channel icons.

-j
Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99@live.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live TV
> causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection change?  It
> appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are handled,
> because they all flicker as the redraw in their new positions when this
> happens.

I would guess it has to do with the various fixes for channel changing
in live TV. I think there are queries going on about whether the
channel is currently tunable, and that is happening in the main event
loop. If the query/queries take longer than the frame interval, there
is stuttering.

Jim
Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
>> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live
>> TV
>> causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection change?
>> It
>> appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are
>> handled,
>> because they all flicker as the redraw in their new positions when this
>> happens.

>I would guess it has to do with the various fixes for channel changing
>in live TV. I think there are queries going on about whether the
>channel is currently tunable, and that is happening in the main event
>loop. If the query/queries take longer than the frame interval, there
>is stuttering.

>Jim

Thanks for the insight! Is there anything that can be done to help it? One
thing I don't understand is how the db can tell us if the channel can be
tuned? Can't the assumption be made that if we have a channel in our list
it should be tunable? I am not trying to be snarky, I am trying to gain
insight.

Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99@live.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live
>>> TV
>>> causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection change?
>>> It
>>> appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are
>>> handled,
>>> because they all flicker as the redraw in their new positions when this
>>> happens.
>

>> I would guess it has to do with the various fixes for channel changing
>> in live TV.  I think there are queries going on about whether the
>> channel is currently tunable, and that is happening in the main event
>> loop.  If the query/queries take longer than the frame interval, there
>> is stuttering.
>

>> Jim
>

> Thanks for the insight!  Is there anything that can be done to help it?  One
> thing I don't understand is how the db can tell us if the channel can be
> tuned?  Can't the assumption be made that if we have a  channel in our list
> it should be tunable?  I am not trying to be snarky, I am trying to gain
> insight.

By "tunable", I mean it is checking whether the channel is on a
currently free/available tuner. (Note that multiplexes and input
groups come into play here.) This information is available only on
the backend.

Jim
Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]

>>> I would guess it has to do with the various fixes for channel changing
>>> in live TV. I think there are queries going on about whether the
>>> channel is currently tunable, and that is happening in the main event
>>> loop. If the query/queries take longer than the frame interval, there
>>> is stuttering.
>>>

>>> Jim
>>

>> Thanks for the insight! Is there anything that can be done to help it?
>> One
>> thing I don't understand is how the db can tell us if the channel can be
>> tuned? Can't the assumption be made that if we have a channel in our
>> list
>> it should be tunable? I am not trying to be snarky, I am trying to gain
>> insight.

>By "tunable", I mean it is checking whether the channel is on a
>currently free/available tuner. (Note that multiplexes and input
>groups come into play here.) This information is available only on
>the backend.

>Jim

Ahhh, now that makes perfect sense, thanks! Now, is there anything that can
be done to help it? Either in my configuration or otherwise?

Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live TV
causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection > change?
It appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are
handled, because they all flicker as the redraw in their new > positions
when this happens.

I'm seeing this on all 4 of my frontends as well.

Re: Guide Stutter [ In reply to ]
On 29.05.2012 17:46, Moasat - mythtv wrote:
>> Has anyone else noticed that with 0.25, the scrolling the guide in Live TV
> causes the live preview to stutter with every vertical selection> change?
> It appears it may have something to do with the way channel icons are
> handled, because they all flicker as the redraw in their new> positions
> when this happens.
>
> I'm seeing this on all 4 of my frontends as well.

you might want to fix your clock as you appear to come from one month
in the future :-)
(if you run mythtv on that box, the guide will work better, too)

Regards,
Karl