to do this as there was on earlier versions. Also if I try to play a
DVD nothing happens using mythtv but it plays if I use VLC, what's wrong
here?
Re: mythtv 0.24-1.80 - Import DVD, how? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM, PJR <pjrobinson@metronet.co.uk> wrote:
> How do you import a DVD using mythtv 0.24-1.80.  There isn't a menu item
> to do this as there was on earlier versions.

If I recall correctly, support for this was dropped. Ripping DVDs to
disk now needs to be done by a third party application.

Eric
Re: mythtv 0.24-1.80 - Import DVD, how? [ In reply to ]
On 12-04-23 02:58 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> If I recall correctly, support for this was dropped. Ripping DVDs to
> disk now needs to be done by a third party application.

That's a pity. It really is a very pertinent function of a media system
like Mythtv to be able to import media. On a "set top box" type of
installation where there is no other/third party applications, it's a
gaping hole in the feature set.

:-(

b.
Re: mythtv 0.24-1.80 - Import DVD, how? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> That's a pity.  It really is a very pertinent function of a media system
> like Mythtv to be able to import media.  On a "set top box" type of
> installation where there is no other/third party applications, it's a
> gaping hole in the feature set.

It's a hole, but apparently it's not such a big deal. 0.24 has been
in heavy usage as the stable release for a year and a half and this
question only comes up occasionally.

Eric
Re: mythtv 0.24-1.80 - Import DVD, how? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 03:43:32PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> > That's a pity.  It really is a very pertinent function of a media system
> > like Mythtv to be able to import media.  On a "set top box" type of
> > installation where there is no other/third party applications, it's a
> > gaping hole in the feature set.
>
> It's a hole, but apparently it's not such a big deal. 0.24 has been
> in heavy usage as the stable release for a year and a half and this
> question only comes up occasionally.

MythTV is an open system. It doesn't need to be treated like an
appliance. That can be very convenient at times. As long as MythTV
can play nice with 3rd party tools, the fact that it can't do
everything by itself in total isolation is not really that much of a
problem.

Besides, the $50K DVD ripping appliance just got slapped down by
the courts.