Mailing List Archive

Myth on an iPod
I have a setup where my myth box can play music on my deck. I'd like to
be able to display a remote front end on an iPod and select the music that
way.

Now I know little to nothing about how iPods work; I'm not an Apple guy
and I personally don't use Apple products. But my kids do.

I'm not talking about running a front end on an iPod; I am talking about
displaying a frontend on an iPod that's running on my backend.

So I'm talking about something like XDMCP or VNC. All I want to do is
play music not watch videos....

Any suggestions?

--
Q: How can you tell Spring is here in Oregon?
A: The rain is warmer.

My daughter is racing a triathlon to raise money for her swim team.
Please donate and keep kids off the sofa!

http://www.facebook.com/RiverRoadKids4Kids

Re: Myth on an iPod [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Yan Seiner <yan@seiner.com> wrote:
> I have a setup where my myth box can play music on my deck.  I'd like to
> be able to display a remote front end on an iPod and select the music that
> way.
>
> Now I know little to nothing about how iPods work; I'm not an Apple guy
> and I personally don't use Apple products.  But my kids do.
>
> I'm not talking about running a front end on an iPod; I am talking about
> displaying a frontend on an iPod that's running on my backend.
>
> So I'm talking about something like XDMCP or VNC.  All I want to do is
> play music not watch videos....
>
> Any suggestions?

If you have music on your iPod, you can do this out the box with .25
using AirPlay.

If you want to use your iPod as a remote, there are some apps in the
app store that will turn your iPod (or iPhone/iPad) into a remote. Or
you can wait until the torc application is released as it looks like
you can use that as a remote as well.

Another option is to install a squeezebox server on your backend and
then use the webbased remote or iPeng (paid app) on your iDevice.
Re: Myth on an iPod [ In reply to ]
On 21/04/2012, at 7:09 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> I'm not talking about running a front end on an iPod; I am talking about
> displaying a frontend on an iPod that's running on my backend.
>
> So I'm talking about something like XDMCP or VNC. All I want to do is
> play music not watch videos....
>
> Any suggestions?

I personally like Screens (http://edovia.com/en/screens.html) or iTeleport (http://www.iteleportmobile.com/) for VNC. You may need to buy both to see which you prefer.

- Wade