Mailing List Archive

remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience
Hello everyone,

I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
been happy to control it with just my remote.
But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
the search.
I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
is not something I look forward too.

Thus I want to explore some alternatives.

I considered a wireless keyboard like this one:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
It's just an example I'm open for other suggestions.
Did anybody get one that could be configured to wake up the frontend ?
That is the only thing that I can imagine as a con for this solution.
Right now the wireless keyboard is the most viable option to me, cause
I know a keyboard deals with the current problems
and as far as I can think the only drawback is that I have to flip
the power switch on my frontend to get it started.

Furthermore I found these 2 options:
mythmote
http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
mythdroid
http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/

Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
with.

Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
to share it

Cheers
Rob
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On 12-04-10 11:04 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
..

What I do here, is use a good remote control for 99% of stuff,
and keep a combo keyboard/touchpad around for anything that
needs better access. The Logitech K400 is made for this sort of thing.

Cheers

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:04, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.

I have a normal IR remote for normal MythTV usage.

I received a wireless keyboard/touchpad for Christmas that I've been
using for everything else, and I love it! It's one of these:
http://www.logitech.com/en-sg/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400
This keyboard is compact, but still full size keys. There is nothing
like typing on a real full-size keyboard.

I have an Android phone and use both mythdroid and mythmote
occasionally, but never as a keyboard. While watching a recording, I
may use mythdroid to check my tuner status, etc. The apps are not as
convenient as the IR remote or RF keyboard because they lack tactile
feedback (you have to look at the screen to know where to place your
fingers).


Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
Mark Lord <mythtv@rtr.ca> wrote on Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:27:54AM -0400:
> On 12-04-10 11:04 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> > been happy to control it with just my remote.
> > But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> > with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> > the search.
> > I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> > access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> > is not something I look forward too.
> >
> > Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
> ..
>
> What I do here, is use a good remote control for 99% of stuff,
> and keep a combo keyboard/touchpad around for anything that
> needs better access. The Logitech K400 is made for this sort of thing.

If the K400 is bulkier than you'd like, you could also consider a
remote-sized keyboard like the Rii Touch N7
(http://www.loftek.us/product_view.asp?Categoryid=43&id=166) or one of
the many similar models. I have the N7, and although I wouldn't want
to type for very long with it, it works fine for occasional web use
and administration tasks.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On 11/04/2012 1:32 AM, Tom Hayward wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:04, Rob Verduijn<rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
>> been happy to control it with just my remote.
>> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
>> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
>> the search.
>> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
>> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
>> is not something I look forward too.
>>
>> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
>


http://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-iPazzPort-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-IR-Remote-Control-Mini-2-4G-USB-Adapter-/220918973778

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com>wrote:

>
> <snip>
>
> Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
> come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
> I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
> drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
> produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
> with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
> to share it
>
> Cheers
> Rob
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>

Hi Rob

I had the same problem. I tried to come up with something using LIRC to
create a kind of t9 sms text entry type for my mce remote but no success at
the moment. We have these letters on the remote, ive used this sms style
in other media centres but not in myth yet. I think dropping to a keyboard
defeats the object of the 10ft interface experience.

Also, if like me, the keyboard will sit in a draw and is not used a great
deal unless its mythnetvision fun (do all my breakage over vnc, ssh)

So we use the wifes galaxy s and installed mythmote which works great and I
recommend it if you have an android phone.

Thanks

Barry
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
2012/4/10 Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
>
> I considered a wireless keyboard like this one:
>  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
>  It's just an example I'm open for other suggestions.
>  Did anybody get one that could be configured to wake up the frontend ?
>  That is the only thing that I can imagine as a con for this solution.
> Right now the wireless keyboard is the most viable option to me, cause
> I know a keyboard deals with the current problems
>  and as far as I can think the only drawback is that I have to flip
> the power switch on my frontend to get it started.
>
> Furthermore I found these 2 options:
> mythmote
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
> mythdroid
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/
>
> Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
> come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
> I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
> drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
> produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
> with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
> to share it
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Thanx for the response everybody,

I've been reading your opinions with great interest and have been
looking at the link that you send me.
After digging through the mentioned devices reviews about them and
nosing through the brands websites I found the following device from
loftek:

It seems they have a very interesting device namely the "Rii mini i6"
http://www.loftek.us/product_view.asp?Categoryid=43&id=202

Being a infrared remote and a wireless 2.4ghz keyboard with touchpad
in one makes it a very interesting choice to me.
Even though I do not look forward to the pains of creating a new
lircrc keyboard map, it does sound very promising.
It solves the problem of the missing keyboard and does not force me to
keep a second device next to me on the couch.
The need for just one remote was one of the big selling points that
convinced the misses to allow me to install mythtv as our main media
centre in the living room.
Like me she was also really getting annoyed by the ever growing pile of remotes.

It also does not seem to conflict with any of the arguments you have
come up with
It's not bulky, functions as a remote, includes a keyboard, has
tactile so you can use it without having to look where you need to put
your fingers.
And it's not to expensive.
It is supposed to be learning so it should be able to mimic the remote
power on ir-signal to turn on my frontend from the couch.
And it's also available in black which I prefer.

But since this device is not real expensive but also not cheap I
appreciate hearing from somebody who has some experience with it.

Does anybody have any real experience with this device if so please
share your experience.

Cheers
Rob
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote:
> It also does not seem to conflict with any of the arguments you have
> come up with
> It's not bulky, functions as a remote, includes a keyboard, has
> tactile so you can use it without having to look where you need to put
> your fingers.

I'm not a big fan of tiny keyboards. I think it's best to have two
input devices, one being a traditional remote and one being a smallish
but not tiny keyboard/mouse.

The one I use is this one from iogear:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823176018

It's easy to type on either on your lap or when holding it with one
hand and typing with the other, the range is good, and the battery
life is absolutely amazing.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
Go Bluetooth, alows you to use a bluetooth keyboard with integrated
mouse and alse a PS3 bluetooth remote as well, best of both worlds
IMO.



On 11 April 2012 22:09, Eric SharkeyG <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It also does not seem to conflict with any of the arguments you have
>> come up with
>> It's not bulky, functions as a remote, includes a keyboard, has
>> tactile so you can use it without having to look where you need to put
>> your fingers.
>
> I'm not a big fan of tiny keyboards.  I think it's best to have two
> input devices, one being a traditional remote and one being a smallish
> but not tiny keyboard/mouse.
>
> The one I use is this one from iogear:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823176018
>
> It's easy to type on either on your lap or when holding it with one
> hand and typing with the other, the range is good, and the battery
> life is absolutely amazing.
>
> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On 12-04-11 05:40 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> Go Bluetooth, alows you to use a bluetooth keyboard with integrated
> mouse and alse a PS3 bluetooth remote as well, best of both worlds
> IMO.

Bluetooth rarely works with the system BIOS.
So going that route requires a Plan.B for when
one needs to access the BIOS settings.

Cheers

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote on Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:55:59PM +0200:
> After digging through the mentioned devices reviews about them and
> nosing through the brands websites I found the following device from
> loftek:
>
> It seems they have a very interesting device namely the "Rii mini i6"
> http://www.loftek.us/product_view.asp?Categoryid=43&id=202
>
> Being a infrared remote and a wireless 2.4ghz keyboard with touchpad
> in one makes it a very interesting choice to me.
> Even though I do not look forward to the pains of creating a new
> lircrc keyboard map, it does sound very promising.

You shouldn't need LIRC for the keyboard side. I don't have this
remote, but I'd assume it will be detected as just another keyboard.
You will likely need LIRC for the back side of the remote (the
learning IR part), although see recent posts where some here suggest
bypassing LIRC altogether for IR devices:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/511144

> It solves the problem of the missing keyboard and does not force me to
> keep a second device next to me on the couch.
> The need for just one remote was one of the big selling points that
> convinced the misses to allow me to install mythtv as our main media
> centre in the living room.
> Like me she was also really getting annoyed by the ever growing pile of remotes.

For doing things like pause, play, skip forward, menu navigation, etc.
(basically anything other than typing text and controlling the mouse),
I find a standard remote MUCH easier to use than devices like this. I
keep both around. Maybe you'll like the mini-keyboard just fine for
both sets of tasks, but I wouldn't toss out your other remote yet.

> It's not bulky, functions as a remote, includes a keyboard, has
> tactile so you can use it without having to look where you need to put
> your fingers.

While it will be better than a smartphone in terms of using it without
looking at it, a standard remote is still much more convenient in this
respect. This just has too many keys that are all the same shape
aligned in a grid.

If you do want to try out this style, you should also consider the
iPazzPort version that's been mentioned a couple of times on this list
(the kp-810-18r or the kp-810-16). One thing I like better about the
iPazzPort's keyboard is that it has Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys on the
right side, which the Rii Mini i6 lacks. When you're thumb-typing, the
ability to access those keys with either hand is helpful.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
2012/4/10 Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
>
> I considered a wireless keyboard like this one:
>  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
>  It's just an example I'm open for other suggestions.
>  Did anybody get one that could be configured to wake up the frontend ?
>  That is the only thing that I can imagine as a con for this solution.
> Right now the wireless keyboard is the most viable option to me, cause
> I know a keyboard deals with the current problems
>  and as far as I can think the only drawback is that I have to flip
> the power switch on my frontend to get it started.
>
> Furthermore I found these 2 options:
> mythmote
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
> mythdroid
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/
>
> Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
> come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
> I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
> drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
> produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
> with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
> to share it
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Hello again,

Thank you for your replies I've been reading them with great interest again.

I saw some replies that suggested to get a real keyboard since nothing
beats typing on a real keyboard.
I agree with this if yuo are going to use it for more than just mythtv.

But the device I'm looking for is going to be used for a mythtv
frontend that has no other function than mythtv frontend.
Just the occasional short query in netvision to find another videos
from miffy or dora for my kids or maybe that one video that was so
cool I wanted to show it to the misses.
And since my kids usually want one of the other videos that are
suggested by youtube after the video I don't expect to do a lot of
typing.

For this reason keyboards like the k400 from logitech or the one from
iogear are just to much for my situation.
Also it would introduce another device on my couch which is big
drawback for me and the misses.

And for the ultra rare occasion that I really need to do some serious
typing that cannot be done through ssh from a real pc, I have an
ordinary wired usb keyboard with an extension cord on standby in the
drawer.

The following devices are all looking very promising to me:
http://www.loftek.us/product_view.asp?Categoryid=43&id=202
http://www.ipazzport.com/16.html
http://www.ipazzport.com/18BR.html

Advantages :
Consolidates the wireless keyboard and the remote into 1 device
Learning remote, so no pains in creating a new keymap lircrc. (big plus)
Can power up my frontend.
Keyboard suited for typing a simple query in netvision.
Comes with usb port for charging.
Easy on the wallet.

Cons:
Not suited for regular typing (which I wont be doing on it)
Might not be as nice as the remote. (so I'll keep the old remote next
to my wired usb keyboard in the drawer)
It nullifies my excuse to buy an asus transformer prime :( sigh.....

Ah well I guess I'm off digging the web for reviews for these devices
and choose one of them.
If anybody has found other devices like the above or has any
experience please do share.

Cheers
Rob
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah well I guess I'm off digging the web for reviews for these devices
> and choose one of them.
> If anybody has found other devices like the above or has any
> experience please do share.

There's the TiVo Slide Remote, which can work with Linux:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKFKR6/ref=asc_df_B003YKFKR61973514?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003YKFKR6&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1250222390205278096&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I don't have any experience with this one, but some people really seem
to like it.

Eric
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tweaking around with mythtv for sometime now and I've always
> been happy to control it with just my remote.
> But nowadays I added netvision and start to get annoyed with typing
> with a remote on the on screen keyboard when looking for media with
> the search.
> I know there are plenty of remotes that have a keyboard for easy
> access, but my experience with mythtv is that configuring a new remote
> is not something I look forward too.
>
> Thus I want to explore some alternatives.
>
> I considered a wireless keyboard like this one:
> http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848
> It's just an example I'm open for other suggestions.
> Did anybody get one that could be configured to wake up the frontend ?
> That is the only thing that I can imagine as a con for this solution.
> Right now the wireless keyboard is the most viable option to me, cause
> I know a keyboard deals with the current problems
> and as far as I can think the only drawback is that I have to flip
> the power switch on my frontend to get it started.
>
> Furthermore I found these 2 options:
> mythmote
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/
> mythdroid
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/
>
> Biggest drawback of these is that I invest in an android device which
> come at a slightly higher price than the remote keyboard.
> I'm not talking about the transformer prime (even though I've been
> drooling about that one), but a more lo-end device like the ones
> produced by yarvik or whatever cheap lo-end brand you can come up
> with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with any of the above and would you care
> to share it
>

I've used several different remotes over the years. Here's a brief
breakdown:

1) StreamZap remote with IR USB receiver - Worked fairly well but I never
got around to tweaking all the keys, using the default LIRC setup that
comes with Mythbuntu-Control-Centre.

2) Logitech Harmony remote with StreamZap receiver - I could never get the
timing to work correctly. It would often register single button presses as
multiple presses and was maddening. The big "OK" button in the middle of
the remote wasn't mapped to anything.

3) Lenovo mini RF keyboard with scrollball - Worked fairly well but the
tiny keys made it a bit tough to navigate and type 'stuff', not to mention
that I had to use the alt key for some characters.

4) Logitech K700 keyboard/trackpad with unifying receiver - This thing
rocks. It's big; almost the size of a full keyboard. But it is phenominal
and under fifty bucks. The unifying RF receiver works like a bluetooth
device, pairing with its keyboard, which is good because I now have three
of these in my living room - One for MythTV, one for the Boxee Box and one
for the Google TV. The biggest drawback is that I needed to use my Windows
machine to initially pair the receiver. But the combination of a full
QWERTY keyboard and the kickass trackpad and directional-pad on the right
hand side make this a winner AFAIC.
Re: remote vs wireless keyboard vs mythdroid vs mythmote please share your experience [ In reply to ]
On 12-04-12 11:16 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>
> 4) Logitech K700 keyboard/trackpad with unifying receiver - This thing rocks.

Cool. Basically a K400, but with a bunch of dedicated media remote/control buttons.
Newegg has refurbs right now for $40, *delivered*. Canada & USA.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users