When I do this in OpenSUSE 12.1 I get sound in KDE as earlier but for the frontend it is a little hit and miss.

At the moment I use sound over HDMI via the Nvidia GT430. This has four sound devices, DEV=0,1,2,3.
Some times when scanning for devices in mythfrontend all four are listed, other times the DEV=3 is missing. The only one that works periodically is the DEV=3. I guess KDE (Phonon) is blocking this for use by the frontend.

If I activate Pulseaudio again I get reliably sound in mythfrontend but not in KDE.

If I understand correctly 0.24 and upcoming 0.25 should support Pulseaudio without any downside?

Though not important, does anyone know how to get KDE (4.7) to work with Pulseaudio?

When I am satisfied that this setup work I plan to install pre 0.25 on it to see if I get the same high CPU load or not, and finally upgrade my production system.

Jens

Re: Mythfrontend and Pulseaudio [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 14 March 2012 21:53, Terjesen Jens Peder
<Jens.Peder.Terjesen@devoteam.com> wrote:
> Some times when scanning for devices in mythfrontend all four are listed, other times the DEV=3 is missing. The only one that works periodically is the DEV=3. I guess KDE (Phonon) is blocking this for use by the frontend.

DEV=3 is probably being in use eslewhere, and when you get into the
audio settings, it will only show the device available at the time it
scanned the devices..

hdmi devices by default aren't being muxed, so only one application at
a time can open it.

If it is in use by pulse that's fine, myth will suspend pulse while
scanning for audio devices, but if something else is using it: you're
stuck

> If I activate Pulseaudio again I get reliably sound in mythfrontend but not in KDE.
>
> If I understand correctly 0.24 and upcoming 0.25 should support Pulseaudio without any downside?

it does..
I suggest though that you use the ALSA:pulse device. It's more reliable.

If you absolutely want to use the pulse native drivers, make sure to
change the default sampling rate on the pulse server to 48kHz

> Though not important, does anyone know how to get KDE (4.7) to work with Pulseaudio?
>
> When I am satisfied that this setup work I plan to install pre 0.25 on it to see if I get the same high CPU load or not, and finally upgrade my production system.

I'm not really sure why you tinkering with pulse would have anything
to do with your mysql high load
Re: Mythfrontend and Pulseaudio [ In reply to ]