interrupt the sound but you can tell something happened). Anyway it also
has had distored color and sometimes freezes the frontend. No CPU cycles
being taken when frozen either.

So any ideas on the problem. Is the replacement card bad. Is there
another problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
steve
Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 22/02/2012 12:49 PM, Paulin wrote:
> Hey all. It's been a while. This is a good things.
>
> I have my Myth box up and running for a few years with no real issues.
> Recently my NVidia Card (JATON VIDEO-498PCI-DLP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
> 128-bit DDR2 PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card) went after 2 years (fan
> broke) so to keep it simple, I bought the same card. After
> installing, booted up and things looked fine.
>
> Now however during playback, the video is fine but then the screen
> goes black, and slowly a few areas will appear until it all comes
> back. Also when this happens, the sound blips (if that makes sense,
> Doesn't really interrupt the sound but you can tell something
> happened). Anyway it also has had distored color and sometimes
> freezes the frontend. No CPU cycles being taken when frozen either.
When the video comes back, does it come back blocky or does it fade in
from black to full color?
Is your sound coming from the display, or a separate amp?

> So any ideas on the problem. Is the replacement card bad. Is there
> another problem?
Possibly a faulty card (was it new? or a "working" s/hand card?) It is
possible that when the other card failed, it damage it motherboard, or
possibly the display.
If your sound is coming from the Display, then it might indicate that
the previous card has damaged the display when it failed.

Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Michael Watson <
michael@thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 22/02/2012 12:49 PM, Paulin wrote:
> > Hey all. It's been a while. This is a good things.
> >
> > I have my Myth box up and running for a few years with no real issues.
> > Recently my NVidia Card (JATON VIDEO-498PCI-DLP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
> > 128-bit DDR2 PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card) went after 2 years (fan
> > broke) so to keep it simple, I bought the same card. After
> > installing, booted up and things looked fine.
> >
> > Now however during playback, the video is fine but then the screen
> > goes black, and slowly a few areas will appear until it all comes
> > back. Also when this happens, the sound blips (if that makes sense,
> > Doesn't really interrupt the sound but you can tell something
> > happened). Anyway it also has had distored color and sometimes
> > freezes the frontend. No CPU cycles being taken when frozen either.
> When the video comes back, does it come back blocky or does it fade in
> from black to full color?
> Is your sound coming from the display, or a separate amp?
> >
> > So any ideas on the problem. Is the replacement card bad. Is there
> > another problem?
> Possibly a faulty card (was it new? or a "working" s/hand card?) It is
> possible that when the other card failed, it damage it motherboard, or
> possibly the display.
> If your sound is coming from the Display, then it might indicate that
> the previous card has damaged the display when it failed.
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > steve

The sound is going through a stereo and not the display.

The card was new and not a second hand.

And when the picture comes back it comes back in blocks. Basically it
comes back as something on the screen changes (the small areas that get
updated for the motion of the picture.

Steve
Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/2012 7:37 PM, Paulin wrote:
> The sound is going through a stereo and not the display.
>
> The card was new and not a second hand.
>
> And when the picture comes back it comes back in blocks. Basically it
> comes back as something on the screen changes (the small areas that
> get updated for the motion of the picture.
>
> Steve

Is this when watching recorded OTA content, or downloaded/ripped movies
(.mkv's or .avi's)? Or both?

Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 22/02/2012 2:37 PM, Paulin wrote:

> The sound is going through a stereo and not the display.
>
> The card was new and not a second hand.
>
> And when the picture comes back it comes back in blocks. Basically it
> comes back as something on the screen changes (the small areas that
> get updated for the motion of the picture.
Doesnt sound like display issue, but could still be a fault with new
card. Is the card running hot (does nvidia-settings show the core temp
for this card? Is it running hot). Sounds like the card is not keeping
up, or running slow. You could try resetting the settings in
nvidia-settings.

Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Michael Watson <
michael@thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 22/02/2012 2:37 PM, Paulin wrote:
> >

> > The sound is going through a stereo and not the display.
> >
> > The card was new and not a second hand.
> >
> > And when the picture comes back it comes back in blocks. Basically it
> > comes back as something on the screen changes (the small areas that
> > get updated for the motion of the picture.
> Doesnt sound like display issue, but could still be a fault with new
> card. Is the card running hot (does nvidia-settings show the core temp
> for this card? Is it running hot). Sounds like the card is not keeping
> up, or running slow. You could try resetting the settings in
> nvidia-settings.
>

> > Steve

Both types. Noticed it with download video and recorded.

Card is staying steady on temp (~54).

I'll try resetting the NVidia settings tomorrow. The cards only a week old
so maybe I'll trade it in and see if that fixes the issue.

steve
Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 2/21/2012 8:00 PM, Paulin wrote:
> Both types. Noticed it with download video and recorded.
>
> Card is staying steady on temp (~54).
>
> I'll try resetting the NVidia settings tomorrow. The cards only a
> week old so maybe I'll trade it in and see if that fixes the issue.
>
> steve

If it happens with recorded content too, then it probably isn't what I
thought it might be. I was going to suggest setting vdpaubuffersize=50
in the playback profile settings, but this probably won't help in your
case. However, you can try it anyway, it won't hurt anything.
Basically, it only affects h.264 video playback.

-- Kevin

Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 02/21/2012 11:51 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
> If it happens with recorded content too, then it probably isn't what I
> thought it might be. I was going to suggest setting vdpaubuffersize=50
> in the playback profile settings, but this probably won't help in your
> case. However, you can try it anyway, it won't hurt anything.
> Basically, it only affects h.264 video playback.

Note that if you have set vdpaubuffersize, you will need to unset it
when you upgrade to 0.25, after it's released. Having vdpaubuffersize
set in unstable/development (and, eventually, 0.25), will almost
definitely cause problems with playback.

Mike

Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 02/23/2012 03:47 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Note that if you have set vdpaubuffersize, you will need to unset it
> when you upgrade to 0.25, after it's released. Having vdpaubuffersize
> set in unstable/development (and, eventually, 0.25), will almost
> definitely cause problems with playback.

Mike;

I know I've read this warning before and removed mine.

But there's no explicit mention of this in the release notes
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=Release_Notes_-_0.25.) For
example under the: Special Notices & Instructions section.
Which I'd be happy to add, if appropriate.

The release notes do have this line about 1/4 of the way down:

VDPAU: Dynamically optimise video buffer size [5e04d57]

which gets to:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e04d57

which says the setting was retained (and its meaning changed.)

Looking at the code, the default value is set to 12 and the accepted
range if the filter is set is 6-50. It adds this to some hard coded
values.

I'm pretty sure I can write a patch that would change the accepted
range check to print a critical warning and guarantee that the
default value was always used. If you'd like I'll submit a ticket with
a patch. I suspect that would be a better solution than relying on
folks reading the release notes.

Or I'm missing the point entirely?

--
Bill
Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]
On 02/23/2012 10:47 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 03:47 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Note that if you have set vdpaubuffersize, you will need to unset it
>> when you upgrade to 0.25, after it's released. Having vdpaubuffersize
>> set in unstable/development (and, eventually, 0.25), will almost
>> definitely cause problems with playback.
> Mike;
>
> I know I've read this warning before and removed mine.
>
> But there's no explicit mention of this in the release notes
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=Release_Notes_-_0.25.) For
> example under the: Special Notices& Instructions section.
> Which I'd be happy to add, if appropriate.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

> The release notes do have this line about 1/4 of the way down:
>
> VDPAU: Dynamically optimise video buffer size [5e04d57]
>
> which gets to:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e04d57
>
> which says the setting was retained (and its meaning changed.)

Yeah. That's the reason why you probably need it unset for next version.

> Looking at the code, the default value is set to 12 and the accepted
> range if the filter is set is 6-50. It adds this to some hard coded
> values.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can write a patch that would change the accepted
> range check to print a critical warning and guarantee that the
> default value was always used. If you'd like I'll submit a ticket with
> a patch. I suspect that would be a better solution than relying on
> folks reading the release notes.
>
> Or I'm missing the point entirely?

The most information I can give is:

http://irc.mythtv.org/ircLog/channel/4/2011-05-23:13:21:38
and
http://irc.mythtv.org/ircLog/channel/4/2011-10-15:22:11:18

The 2nd being a nice clear description of the change in meaning of the
option--it no longer uses the number specified, but uses what it thinks
it needs plus the number specified. Users who upgraded to
unstable/development with it set tended to see terrible performance
and/or memory issues that caused playback issues.

But, since the code actually does a good job, now, of dynamically
resizing the buffer size as required, nearly everyone is better off not
setting it. (And if you do have problems without it set in
unstable/development, the right fix is to adjust the dynamic-resizing
code to be smarter so that we can fix MythTV playback for everyone. :)

Mike
Re: Video Playback Issues [ In reply to ]

Done. (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25#Special_Notices_.26_Instructions)

--
Bill