Mailing List Archive

DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution
Kenneth,

Many thanks for you excellent S/W to support DVB. I now have a dual setup

ASUS Pundit - WinTV -> Cable box with LIRC
- Win TV Nova hooked up to terrestrial

It works excellently.

The one bit I found frustrating was the DVB channel setup, so I've made a
start on moving from manual table hacking to full automation.

Attached is an SQL file that does the database inserts automatically.

It looks up the videosource, finds the channel and then creates rows in
dvb_channel and dvb_pids as appropriate.

To use this file:
1. Load your channels using xml_tv_xxxx
2. Run scan from DVB tools
3. Edit the attached file to add the channels you want from the scan output
(Note the syntax for the QAM, Fec's etc varies between the tables and the
scan e.g. FEC in scan is 2_3 in myth is 2/3).
4. mysql mythconverg < setup_dvb_channels
5. You can run this sql repeatedly until you get things right! (as it does
REPLACE rather than INSERT )

the next step: Perhaps someone with PERL skills could convert this to read
the output from scan and convert it to SQL actions similar to this script.

-malc-
Re: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
Hi Malc,

i used another approach to add my dvb channels (DVB-S Astra in Germany)
to my dvb_channel table.

1. run xmltv and mythfilldatabase to insert information about channels
in channel table
2. get a channels.conf (eg with scan)

3. run the attached script (configure it in the script itself first),
which does the following:
a: iterate through channel table and look for corresponding rows in
dvb_channel
b: if no row is found look for the channel description in channels.conf
c: ask the user about the missing data for the channel (mostly
serviceid, networkid, transportid - don't know if i really need this to
use mythtv, but looks like it works - i got this information from
http://www.satcodx2.com/0192/deu/)
d: insert the data to dvb_channel and dvb_pids

You can run this script as many times you like because it autodetects
channels which already have corresponding information in dvb_channel.
Note that this script works for me with my dvb-s channels.conf (the
channels.conf from the linuxtv.org sources) - don't know how it is
about dvb-c or dvb-t.

If you send me your channels.conf and a dump of the corresponding
dvb_channel and dvb_pids and channel, I would try to enhance the script
so that it is usable for you and others, too.

Daniel
Re: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the slow reply

> Hi Malc,

>i used another approach to add my dvb channels (DVB-S Astra in Germany)
>to my dvb_channel table.

Just what I was thinking of doing.... if my PERL skills were as good as
this!

>1. run xmltv and mythfilldatabase to insert information about channels
>in channel table
>2. get a channels.conf (eg with scan)

Your script hardcodes the channels.conf to come from ~/.szap. (It would be
.tzap in my case)

>3. run the attached script (configure it in the script itself first),
>which does the following:

Had a quick look at your script. The only addition I would make that is my
SQL is that
you need to establish which source-id you are working with. I have 2 cards
and there different source id's, but with the same channels (e.g. BBC 1). I
also use SQL wildcards "%" to make the channel lookup fuzzy as the xmltv
channel name doesn't exactly match the channels.conf

>a: iterate through channel table and look for corresponding rows in
>dvb_channel
>b: if no row is found look for the channel description in channels.conf
>c: ask the user about the missing data for the channel (mostly
>serviceid, networkid, transportid - don't know if i really need this to
>use mythtv, but looks like it works - i got this information from
>http://www.satcodx2.com/0192/deu/)

It doesn't seem to be necessary for DVB-T... at least in the UK.

>d: insert the data to dvb_channel and dvb_pids

>If you send me your channels.conf and a dump of the corresponding
>dvb_channel and dvb_pids and channel, I would try to enhance the script
>so that it is usable for you and others, too.

Attached....
Re: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
Hi Malc,

just had the time to integrate a basic dvb-t support to my
insertchannels script. Perhaps you can have a look on the script. I
also have some questions for you:

1. which fec parameter from channels.conf is for the fec column of
dvb_channel table (the first or the second)?
2. which columns need to be filled for a minimalistic setup of dvb-t
and which can be set to some default values (auto or similiar)?

Daniel
RE: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
Daniel,

1.
I used the first, which seems to work. I have no basis for why other than
trial. Anyone any better arguement for which one?

2.
It seems that

chanid
frequency (note some frequencies have 16667 khz added/subtracted from the
mhz figure, something to do with inteference)
fec's
vpid
apid
transmission mode
guard interval
inversion - seems to remain same
hp_
lp_ code rates

are all used

crypt is not used
tpid is not used by myth at present but possibly might be

not sure about service-id doesn't seem to used in the UK. Maybe other
countries implement different methods.

Will have a look at the script over the next few days

-malc-

RE: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
> 1. which fec parameter from channels.conf is for the fec column of
> dvb_channel table (the first or the second)?

fec is the hp_code_rate or similar from scan output, ie the main "forward error correction". lp_code_rate appears to be less important, but it;s the other number and called lp_code_rate in the db

> 2. which columns need to be filled for a minimalistic setup of dvb-t
> and which can be set to some default values (auto or similiar)?

Pretty much everything can be got from scan, and the more you set the faster the channel change goes... DVB-T uses nearly all the params in the table apart from hierarchy, polarity, and symbol_rate

RE: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
> not sure about service-id doesn't seem to used in the UK.

Serviceid *IS* used in the UK. I think it is the unique channel identifier that the network uses.

You can get it from scan if you are exporting to VDR format (the most flexible and complete)

RE: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
Edward,

I stand corrected, thanks. I'll add them to my tables.

btw has anyone expereinced problems when trying to view off air DVB-T
channels (e.g. BBC4 in the UK only transmits after 7pm). No problem if you
schedule recordings. Big problem if you use live TV.

seems to crash the backend. Is this experience repeated for anyone else?

-malc-

RE: DVB Channel Setup - Start of a solution [ In reply to ]
I thought you just ended up with CBBC instead ?