It would be great to hear from anyone with a similar setup. Will it work?

Cheers,
Nick
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
The atom isn't powerful enough to future proof your (probable) needs for hd
going forward...

And mythtv only supports nvidia (vdpau) and crystal (beta support) for
offloading decoding to the gpu.

For the slight additional cost, assuming you haven't bought it yet... I
would go for an atom-ion (and preferably an ion2) system.

Please excuse brevity and pistakes this email was composed on an Android
smartphone.

Thanks
Richard
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <BANLkTinHC=hzhH30eCxXdP9Daco-yrFCZA@mail.gmail.com>,
Nicholas J. Martin wrote

>Hello all,
>
>Has anyone made a SCART lead for an Intel GMA 950 graphics chipset and
>managed to get it working with X on a (preferably PAL) TV? I'm
>planning on building an SD PVR around a low power Atom with GMA 950
>graphics, but I'm concerned that getting it to play nicely with the TV
>will be difficult or impossible.

I've got an Atom 330 running here (UK) VGA->Scart.

I'm on Debian Lenny with Myth 0.23. I've patched the Intel X-Server with
the FRC/low dot-clock code from the wiki and have a patched Framebuffer
driver.

I use this cable <http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm>,
though there's a simpler one here
<http://frc.easy-vdr.de/cable/vga2scart/>.

It works perfectly for SD TV in the UK.

I know it won't work for HD but then I don't have an HD TV. I don't much
see the point in future proofing - who knows what the recommended kit
will be in 12 months, almost certain it's not going to be what is
recommended today.

--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <BANLkTimDL81ALP1c8Vjiu8oHzk=DhdkQ6w@mail.gmail.com>, Richard
Morton wrote

>The atom isn't powerful enough to future proof your (probable) needs
>for hd going forward...
>
>And mythtv only supports nvidia (vdpau) and crystal (beta support) for
>offloading decoding to the gpu.
>
>For the slight additional cost, assuming you haven't bought it yet... I
>would go for an atom-ion (and preferably an ion2)  system.

How does the Ion/Ion2 work with non HD TVs? Are you stuck with TV-out
for TVs with only Scart or worse connectors?

If so then I'd guess the Ion is much lower quality in this setup...

--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <cEVKNeDwogrNFwV$@echelon.upsilon.org.uk>, dave cunningham
wrote

>In message <BANLkTinHC=hzhH30eCxXdP9Daco-yrFCZA@mail.gmail.com>,
>Nicholas J. Martin wrote
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>Has anyone made a SCART lead for an Intel GMA 950 graphics chipset and
>>managed to get it working with X on a (preferably PAL) TV? I'm
>>planning on building an SD PVR around a low power Atom with GMA 950
>>graphics, but I'm concerned that getting it to play nicely with the TV
>>will be difficult or impossible.
>>

>I've got an Atom 330 running here (UK) VGA->Scart.
>
>I'm on Debian Lenny with Myth 0.23. I've patched the Intel X-Server with
>the FRC/low dot-clock code from the wiki and have a patched Framebuffer
>driver.
>
>I use this cable <http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm>,
>though there's a simpler one here
><http://frc.easy-vdr.de/cable/vga2scart/>.
>
>It works perfectly for SD TV in the UK.

One gotcha - I have to recompile MythTV with
VideoOutputXv::WindowResized commented out as per this thread
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/417016?do=post_view_t
hreaded#417016>.

--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]

On Apr 19, 2011 11:26 PM, "dave cunningham" <ml@upsilon.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <BANLkTimDL81ALP1c8Vjiu8oHzk=DhdkQ6w@mail.gmail.com>, Richard
> Morton wrote
>

> >The atom isn't powerful enough to future proof your (probable) needs
> >for hd going forward...
> >
> >And mythtv only supports nvidia (vdpau) and crystal (beta support) for
> >offloading decoding to the gpu.
> >
> >For the slight additional cost, assuming you haven't bought it yet... I
> >would go for an atom-ion (and preferably an ion2) system.
> >

> How does the Ion/Ion2 work with non HD TVs? Are you stuck with TV-out
> for TVs with only Scart or worse connectors?

You'd use the same connectors you are already using you just need to find a
mobo with a svideo, dvi-a or vga output or whatever you are using
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <BANLkTik9bhXBkp5M-YQkKwRrN2fwFXFtJg@mail.gmail.com>, Richard
Morton wrote
>> How does the Ion/Ion2 work with non HD TVs? Are you stuck with TV-out
>> for TVs with only Scart or worse connectors?
>
>You'd use the same connectors you are already using you just need to
>find a mobo with a svideo, dvi-a or vga output or whatever you are
>using

Does it support interlaced + low dot clock on the VGA port - the wiki
doesn't say either way?

I did try an NVidia 6200 prior to the Atom and could not get it to work.

--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
On 19 April 2011 23:18, dave cunningham <ml@upsilon.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <BANLkTinHC=hzhH30eCxXdP9Daco-yrFCZA@mail.gmail.com>,

> I've got an Atom 330 running here (UK) VGA->Scart.
>
> I'm on Debian Lenny with Myth 0.23. I've patched the Intel X-Server with
> the FRC/low dot-clock code from the wiki and have a patched Framebuffer
> driver.
>
> I use this cable <http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm>,
> though there's a simpler one here
> <http://frc.easy-vdr.de/cable/vga2scart/>.
>
> It works perfectly for SD TV in the UK.
>
> I know it won't work for HD but then I don't have an HD TV. I don't much
> see the point in future proofing - who knows what the recommended kit
> will be in 12 months, almost certain it's not going to be what is
> recommended today.

Thanks Dave. Also, do you have to use xine or can you use the internal
player? They seem to have patched xine on the site linked to on the
wiki. Is that because the player you're using needs to change the
refresh rate of the screen to match the fps of the video? E.g., change
to 60Hz when playing 30fps or 50Hz when playing 25fps.
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <BANLkTinV9J=UiasZHJOv+_3+rpqfKjz_gg@mail.gmail.com>,
Nicholas J. Martin wrote

<snip>

>Thanks Dave. Also, do you have to use xine or can you use the internal
>player? They seem to have patched xine on the site linked to on the
>wiki. Is that because the player you're using needs to change the
>refresh rate of the screen to match the fps of the video? E.g., change
>to 60Hz when playing 30fps or 50Hz when playing 25fps.

I use the internal player and mplayer and have no problems with either.
I'm not 100% on what the FRC patch is actually doing. From memory it's
dynamically modifying the frame rate - though I don't get this as I'd
always thought this was fixed (50Hz PAL, 60Hz NSTC). I think the xine
patch is allows the patch to stabilise faster though it seems to work
just fine without xine.

--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
On 19 April 2011 22:45, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton@gmail.com> wrote:
> The atom isn't powerful enough to future proof your (probable) needs for hd
> going forward...
>
> And mythtv only supports nvidia (vdpau) and crystal (beta support) for
> offloading decoding to the gpu.
>
> For the slight additional cost, assuming you haven't bought it yet... I
> would go for an atom-ion (and preferably an ion2)  system.
>
> Please excuse brevity and pistakes this email was composed on an Android
> smartphone.
>
> Thanks
> Richard

I did initially want an ion(2) board, but they all seem to have PCI-e
slots, not regular PCI slots, and support for PCI-e DVB-T cards seems
to be pretty poor for now. Since I'll be using this box as a PVR,
ion(2) boards aren't really an option.

Nick
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
As long as you are aware the devs view is that Atom systems aren't
really up to the job of a frontend, and XvMC is being removed in .25
(not sure if that relates to GMA950), and I wouldnt want to run a
combined system using EIT on a dual-core atom as each time the
scheduler runs you will probably find that playback simply grinds to a
halt!

personally, I would go pick up a cheap 2nd hand Core2 or even an i3
system with the required PCI slots as a backend and use an ION system
as a dedicated frontend.
Re: Intel GMA 950 SCART [ In reply to ]
In message <BANLkTikg6=bz=CWpse_PCgnLLtYxZK8xzQ@mail.gmail.com>, Richard
Morton wrote

>As long as you are aware the devs view is that Atom systems aren't
>really up to the job of a frontend, and XvMC is being removed in .25
>(not sure if that relates to GMA950), and I wouldnt want to run a
>combined system using EIT on a dual-core atom as each time the
>scheduler runs you will probably find that playback simply grinds to a
>halt!
>
>personally, I would go pick up a cheap 2nd hand Core2 or even an i3
>system with the required PCI slots as a backend and use an ION system
>as a dedicated frontend.

I'd second this.

While I use an Atom 330 it's as a frontend only. It's Xv for playback
(not XvMC) and I've seen CPU usage hovering close to 100% while watching
SD streams.

I'm not sure how it would get on having to deal with backend duties
also.
--
Dave Cunningham PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC