that I am assigned another tuner when I return to LiveTV, or I must
change inputs (same thing).

My guess is that there's a smart thing to do involving setup of
recording groups or some other group so that I don't keep colliding with
the multiplexes used under multirec. Is it something like "assign the
last two tuners from a dual HDHR to recording group 'HDOTA' and be sure
to use that group when defining the recording schedules"?????

Thanks!
Re: locked into a multirec during LiveTV when a recording starts [ In reply to ]
I re-read that and I used 'multirec' in some cases when I should have
said 'multiplex'... sorry about that; my question still remains.

Re: locked into a multirec during LiveTV when a recording starts [ In reply to ]
On 1/21/2011 10:37, Dave Richardson wrote:
> I have enabled multirec on my HDHRs. Because I have scheduled more
> recordings, I find that I am having more conflicts between watching
> LiveTV and getting pinched into the multi-rec group when I attempt to
> change channels in LiveTV.

When you enter LiveTV, you choose the first available tuner. If that
tuner is a virtual tuner tied to an in-use physical tuner, so be it.
Use the NEXTCARD keybinding, or the OSD menu option, to switch to a
completely free tuner, or a virtual tuner locked to a different multiplex.

Alternatively, there is an option to 'avoid conflicts with livetv',
which causes LiveTV to choose the last available tuner, with the
assumption that will be the least likely to already be locked to a
multiplex.
Re: locked into a multirec during LiveTV when a recording starts [ In reply to ]
On 01/21/2011 11:07 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 10:37, Dave Richardson wrote:
>> I have enabled multirec on my HDHRs. Because I have scheduled more
>> recordings, I find that I am having more conflicts between watching
>> LiveTV and getting pinched into the multi-rec group when I attempt to
>> change channels in LiveTV.
>
> When you enter LiveTV, you choose the first available tuner. If that
> tuner is a virtual tuner tied to an in-use physical tuner, so be it.
> Use the NEXTCARD keybinding, or the OSD menu option, to switch to a
> completely free tuner, or a virtual tuner locked to a different
> multiplex.
>
> Alternatively, there is an option to 'avoid conflicts with livetv',
> which causes LiveTV to choose the last available tuner, with the
> assumption that will be the least likely to already be locked to a
> multiplex.

See, also,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358 . Read
the whole thing and use the (now-tested) approach at the end if you want
to waste physical tuners on Live TV. (And note that that post provides
much of the info necessary to understand exactly why we can't default to
the tuner-wasting approach you desire--and, yes, even though MythTV will
tell Live TV users when it needs their tuner for recordings, using a
physical tuner solely for Live TV in a multirec-capable configuration is
still wasting the tuner since it will affect allocation of other virtual
tuners.)

Mike
Re: locked into a multirec during LiveTV when a recording starts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Dave Richardson <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
> I have enabled multirec on my HDHRs.  Because I have scheduled more
> recordings, I find that I am having more conflicts between watching LiveTV
> and getting pinched into the multi-rec group when I attempt to change
> channels in LiveTV.
>
> Remedy is either to exit back to menu until the new recording begins so that
> I am assigned another tuner when I return to LiveTV, or I must change inputs
> (same thing).
>
> My guess is that there's a smart thing to do involving setup of recording
> groups or some other group so that I don't keep colliding with the
> multiplexes used under multirec.  Is it something like "assign the last two
> tuners from a dual HDHR to recording group 'HDOTA' and be sure to use that
> group when defining the recording schedules"?????

It's a known "issue" (I guess short of a bug?) - but something that
has a fairly low priority to be addressed by the devs. Basically, my
suggestion to you is to simply not use virtual tuners and therefore
you don't get stuck into a multiplex - which is what I've done. I
know that advice isn't great, as you lose the benefits of multi-rec
when it comes to recordings, but I have enough physical tuners it's
generally not an issue for me. It's a frustrating user experience in
it's current incarnation, but Live TV has been a second class citizen
in the MythTV world for a long time and the benefits of multi-rec are
definitely cool when it comes to scheduling - so it's been this way
for a few years now, and I wouldn't expect this to be resolved any
time soon. I'm sure some day both multirec and Live TV will live
peacefully together. :)

See:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/458151#458151
and