Mailing List Archive

use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend
I am having a brain freeze.

I've my backend at 192.168.1.101 -

my frontend has eth0 at 192.168.1.201, wlan0 at 192.168.1.202.

eth0 is over Belkin 1000Mbps Gigabit Powerline HD adapter - it sucks.
wlan0 is well, wireless G - and it sucks too.

i want to use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend. i
tried using ifenslave but failed, thanks to wpa_supplicant nightmare,
wlan0.

how do you guys do this? any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.

ip ro delete 192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src
192.168.1.134 metric 2
sleep 3
ip ro add 192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src
192.168.1.134 metric 2
sleep 3
ip ro delete 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src
192.168.1.134 metric 1
sleep 3
ip ro add 192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src
192.168.1.134 metric 1

thanks!
Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
On 1/14/2011 23:48, Evuraan wrote:
> how do you guys do this? any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.

Run good old reliable CAT6 through the walls?
Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
>> how do you guys do this? any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.
>
> Run good old reliable CAT6 through the walls?

I wish I could do that and this all will go away if i could pull a
cable. sadly, its a rental. :(
Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Evuraan <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> how do you guys do this? any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.
> >
> > Run good old reliable CAT6 through the walls?
>
> I wish I could do that and this all will go away if i could pull a
> cable. sadly, its a rental. :(

Then run cables along the baseboard... has worked for me in several
apartment situations. One time, I even made a cable trough which I hung
from the ceiling. Hehe.
Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 22:32, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then run cables along the baseboard... has worked for me in several
> apartment situations. One time, I even made a cable trough which I hung
> from the ceiling. Hehe.

I've used cable channel runners like the following with great success in the
past (although this one seems to be metal and the plastic ones worked best
for me). Very non-noticeable, and easily removed when it's time to move.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100657480/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

$0.02,
EW
Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
> my frontend has eth0 at 192.168.1.201, wlan0 at 192.168.1.202.
>
> eth0 is over Belkin 1000Mbps Gigabit Powerline HD adapter - it sucks.
> wlan0 is well, wireless G - and it sucks too.

Cat6 or at least cat5e is best but. But in addition tucking cables under
baseboards you can also get vinyl cable runs at office supply stores so you can
run cat6 cables over the floor with out making tripping hazards. And there is
always duct tape :)

What about eth0 to a linksys WET610N (wrieless N bridge)
and you will need a wirelessN router such as a E3000 (with ddwrt firmware
perhaps) Should be OK for a Front end only.

Re: use both wlan0 and eth0 to get goodies from my backend [ In reply to ]
> What about eth0 to a linksys WET610N (wrieless N bridge)
> and you will need a wirelessN router such as a E3000 (with ddwrt firmware
> perhaps)   Should be OK for a Front end only.

thanks!

thank you all for your kind replies. I ended up buying a netgear n600
router and a netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter - it seems to be doing HD
streaming OK so far. i hope it stays so. :) .

n600 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122378
WNCE2001 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122373