Mailing List Archive

Questions about 0.24 (mythweb, captions)
Recently upgraded from 0.23.1 to 0.24. The upgrade went smoothly on Fedora
12 backend/frontend, Mythbuntu frontends and Windows frontends. Kudos to
the devs for the great work.

I have a few questions:

1) MythWeb. On the "MythTV Backend Status" screen, the "Encoder Status" box
lists my capture cards by their UNIX names "Encoder 1 [ MPEG : /dev/video0 ]
is local on (server-name) and is not recording." In 0.23.1 and earlier, it
displayed the name of the encoder (like "Hauppauge PVR-500, Tuner 1")
instead of "MPEG : /dev/video0". How do I get that back?

2) Closed captions. With the integration of the OSD skin and the theme
skin, the closed captions options have moved. The closed captions (without
a black background) used to be displayed with a thin black border around
each letter. This allowed them to be more easily seen against white
objects. Does anyone know if that can be turned back on?

3) Watch recordings page. I'm using the Terra skin, is it possible to edit
the "Watch Recordings" skin to display the year something was recorded (in
addition to date/time). This actually has nothing to do specifically with
the 0.24 upgrade. I've been looking at those theme .XML files, but I can't
really figure out how to customize the skins.

Thanks!
Re: Questions about 0.24 (mythweb, captions) [ In reply to ]
On 7 December 2010 01:52, kanetse@gmail.com <kane.tse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently upgraded from 0.23.1 to 0.24.  The upgrade went smoothly on Fedora
> 12 backend/frontend, Mythbuntu frontends and Windows frontends.  Kudos to
> the devs for the great work.

> 2) Closed captions.  With the integration of the OSD skin and the theme
> skin, the closed captions options have moved.   The closed captions (without
> a black background) used to be displayed with a thin black border around
> each letter.  This allowed them to be more easily seen against white
> objects.  Does anyone know if that can be turned back on?

I don't know what caption type you are referring to, but I've just
committed a fix for black borders on CC-608 captions (analogue/NTSC).
I've also backported it to 0-24-fixes.

So you should see a black border for external text subtitles, embedded
text subtitles (rare) and CC-608 captions. CC-708 captions have their
own styling dictated by the broadcaster and DVB/DVD/Bluray subs are
all bitmaps rather than raw text. There is no outline for teletext
subtitles.

regards

Mark
Re: Questions about 0.24 (mythweb, captions) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what caption type you are referring to, but I've just
> committed a fix for black borders on CC-608 captions (analogue/NTSC).
> I've also backported it to 0-24-fixes.
>
> So you should see a black border for external text subtitles, embedded
> text subtitles (rare) and CC-608 captions. CC-708 captions have their
> own styling dictated by the broadcaster and DVB/DVD/Bluray subs are
> all bitmaps rather than raw text. There is no outline for teletext
> subtitles.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the default setting in
mythfrontend/TV playback is now to use CC-708 captions and it appears that
the current CC-608 now use a less visible grey border rather than a black
one. I'm back to CC-608 grey borders now, which is acceptable until your
patch gets pushed through to atrpms.

I guess my only option is to force CC-608 captions if I want them to have
the borders.

Is it even possible to override the CC-708 style settings to add a border to
those captions? Unfortunately, CC-708 isn't 100% functional in my broadcast
area right now; but it may come in the future.