I thought I'd ask before switching my system from KMS to Catalyst...

Thanks
dargllun
Re: State of VA-API [ In reply to ]
As I understand it, a lot of the coding to support VAAPI has been put
in place but it isnt ready for primetime and it is disabled; whether
this is a build option or something else I dont know.

I guess if you want to discuss this bleeding edge feature you should
ask on the dev list if they are looking for testers; if the feature is
still being developed then I am sure they wont want lots of people
saying this and that isnt working - which in almost all cases they
will be fully aware of.

Essentially; the devs will ask or make it known when a feature is
ready for beta-testers. Supporting VAAPI isnt going to be a trivial
piece of work.

Re: State of VA-API [ In reply to ]
On 15.11.2010 19:47, Richard Morton wrote:
> As I understand it, a lot of the coding to support VAAPI has been put
> in place but it isnt ready for primetime and it is disabled; whether
> this is a build option or something else I dont know.
>
> I guess if you want to discuss this bleeding edge feature you should
> ask on the dev list if they are looking for testers; if the feature is
> still being developed then I am sure they wont want lots of people
> saying this and that isnt working - which in almost all cases they
> will be fully aware of.

Actually I did ask on the dev mailing list, but this list seems to be
rather dead, there's next to no new messages, let alone an answer to my
question wrt to VA-API.

> Essentially; the devs will ask or make it known when a feature is
> ready for beta-testers. Supporting VAAPI isnt going to be a trivial
> piece of work.

I was afraid of that... Guess I'll stick with KMS and OSS drivers for my
HD3200, works great for SD content and for H.264, well, the CPU must do
the job then.

Thanks
d.

Re: State of VA-API [ In reply to ]
On 16 Nov 2010, at 17:13, dargllun <dargllun@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 15.11.2010 19:47, Richard Morton wrote:
>> As I understand it, a lot of the coding to support VAAPI has been put
>> in place but it isnt ready for primetime and it is disabled; whether
>> this is a build option or something else I dont know.
>>
>> I guess if you want to discuss this bleeding edge feature you should
>> ask on the dev list if they are looking for testers; if the feature is
>> still being developed then I am sure they wont want lots of people
>> saying this and that isnt working - which in almost all cases they
>> will be fully aware of.
>
> Actually I did ask on the dev mailing list, but this list seems to be rather dead, there's next to no new messages, let alone an answer to my question wrt to VA-API.
>
>> Essentially; the devs will ask or make it known when a feature is
>> ready for beta-testers. Supporting VAAPI isnt going to be a trivial
>> piece of work.
>
> I was afraid of that... Guess I'll stick with KMS and OSS drivers for my HD3200, works great for SD content and for H.264, well, the CPU must do

VAAPI never made it into 0.24 largely because it wasn't stable. The VDPAU backend worked reasonably well, with a few quirks, but if you're on nvidia hardware you should just use vdpau directly - it's feature 'full' and stable.

ATI/AMD support is a bit of a joke. You are reliant on a single binary blob released to a single developer/organisation that is not feature complete (no deinterlacing) and horribly buggy.

Intel hardware faired slightly better but was still problematic enough that I wouldn't dream of enabling it by default until it has improved significantly.

Add to that the current situation of largely relying on a third party library that is a moving feast and you might appreciate why I'm not exactly straining at the leash to start working on it again.

Fwiw, I'm quite sure some of the problems were self inflicted by my own code and the way in which the rest of the mythtv codebase works - as well as my desire to integrate vaapi into the existing OpenGL code - but it really shouldn't be that painful!

Regards
Mark
Re: State of VA-API [ In reply to ]
Mark,

On 16.11.2010 11:18, Mark Kendall wrote:
> VAAPI never made it into 0.24 largely because it wasn't stable. The
> VDPAU backend worked reasonably well, with a few quirks, but if
> you're on nvidia hardware you should just use vdpau directly - it's
> feature 'full' and stable.
>
> ATI/AMD support is a bit of a joke. You are reliant on a single
> binary blob released to a single developer/organisation that is not
> feature complete (no deinterlacing) and horribly buggy.

Thanks for sharing these insights.

Let's hope Gallium picks up the pace a little bit. Recently one guy
began experimenting with an XvMC state tracker. Of course that's just
educational and of little practical use, but it demonstrates what's
possible with the Gallium architecture.

From your perspective, what would be preferable: a state tracker for
VAAPI or one for VDPAU?

Regards
dargllun
Re: State of VA-API [ In reply to ]
On 16 November 2010 18:25, dargllun <dargllun@googlemail.com> wrote:
> From your perspective, what would be preferable: a state tracker for VAAPI
> or one for VDPAU?

My personal preference is for VDPAU - though that is heavily skewed by
the fact that it actually works and works well. VAAPI is still a
moving target in almost every respect and I've yet to see a stable
implementation (I have tested the VAAPI implementations on other linux
players and was never satisfied - so not just a MythTV issue).

regards

Mark