Mailing List Archive

"Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23
Hi,

I've just upgraded from 0.22 to 0.23 and I've seen an undesirable change
in the way that the "Always prompt for initial group filter" (aka
QueryInitialFilter) setting behaves. I just wanted to check here first
to make sure other people are seeing this and agree that this is a bug.

Previously, in 0.22, when I entered Watch Recordings, the group filter
popup would appear, and in the background would be an empty recordings
list. Only if I picked a group would the list of recordings show up.

Now in 0.23 as soon as I enter Watch Recordings, the list of recordings
fills in the background, as well as the group filter popping up in
front. The list of recordings is from the previous group that was
selected, i.e. the one that is initially highlighted on the group filter
popup. (It is probably relevant that I also have "Save current group
filter when changed" (aka RememberRecGroup) ticked).

I believe this change is undesirable for two reasons:

1, It is mildly disorientating for the user for a list of recordings to
appear (even if only in the background) before the user has picked which
group to view.

2, More importantly, if the previous group selected was not All
Programs, but I pick All Programs from the filter, the scroll position
of the recordings list does not go to the top.

I quite often check All Programs to make sure all recent recordings in
all groups have worked OK (I have the most recent at the top), and if
the last group I was in was not All Programs, at first glance it looks
like I have had serious problems with no recent recordings appearing, as
the list is not scrolled to the top.

Does anyone else:

- see this problem?
- know if it's fixed in 0.24?
- know which ticket or changeset changed the behaviour, so I could try
and research the reasoning for the change?

It *may* be changeset 22727 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22727)
but I've only done a little digging.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T
Re: "Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23 [ In reply to ]
* On Tue Nov 09, 2010 at 09:04:55PM +0000, John Veness wrote:
> It *may* be changeset 22727 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/22727)
> but I've only done a little digging.

I believe this has to do with the ProgramInfoCache code that
Daniel added.

If you want to test this theory, edit
mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp and search for the
following:

else if (message == "UPDATE_UI_LIST")
{
UpdateUILists();
m_helper.ForceFreeSpaceUpdate();
}

Change that first line so it looks like this:

else if (m_IsInitialized && message == "UPDATE_UI_LIST")
{
UpdateUILists();
m_helper.ForceFreeSpaceUpdate();
}

If this fixes it, you can open this as a bug and we can take a
look at a proper fix. I think the above patch will work around
the issue, but there are probably better ways.

--
Chris Pinkham
Re: "Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23 [ In reply to ]
On 09/11/2010 22:10, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I believe this has to do with the ProgramInfoCache code that
> Daniel added.
>
> If you want to test this theory, edit
> mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp and search for the
> following:

[snip]

> If this fixes it, you can open this as a bug and we can take a
> look at a proper fix. I think the above patch will work around
> the issue, but there are probably better ways.

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for replying. Your patch did fix the problem. I will open a
bug later.

By the way, there is one other defect I've noticed recently in regards
to "Always prompt for initial group filter". I'm not sure if this was
new in 0.23 and might have been in 0.22 also, so strictly speaking it
may be off-topic for this subject line, but I'll mention it anyway.

It used to be the case that if I entered Watch Recordings, then pressed
Esc while viewing the initial group filter popup, that it went back to
the menu. Now, even with your patch, pressing Esc on the initial group
filter popup leaves me in the Watch Recordings screen, and I have to
press Esc again to get back to the menu. See
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13027 for a description of how it
should work. If there isn't a bug about this already (I couldn't find
one), I'll raise one.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T
Re: "Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23 [ In reply to ]
* On Thu Nov 11, 2010 at 01:54:04PM +0000, John Veness wrote:
> Many thanks for replying. Your patch did fix the problem. I will open a
> bug later.

> press Esc again to get back to the menu. See
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13027 for a description of how it
> should work. If there isn't a bug about this already (I couldn't find
> one), I'll raise one.

That's my commit. :) Open a couple bugs for these and assign them to
'cpinkham' and I'll take a look. I think the ESC issue is a pretty trivial
fix. It probably dates back to the MythUI rewrite for that screen.

--
Chris
Re: "Always prompt for initial group filter" change 0.22>0.23 [ In reply to ]
On 11/11/10 14:26, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> That's my commit. :) Open a couple bugs for these and assign them to

Yes I know :-)

> Open a couple bugs for these and assign them to
> 'cpinkham' and I'll take a look. I think the ESC issue is a pretty trivial
> fix. It probably dates back to the MythUI rewrite for that screen.

I've opened http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9209 and
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9210 . I don't seem to have the
ability to assign them to you so I just put you in the CC.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

John

--