directly from myth? It has to be a true blank, not a
black screen, so that the lamp turns off.

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
Re: Any way to permit screen saver only when in a menu? [ In reply to ]
--- Alan Snyder <ax763@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up a box in the kitchen with an LCD
> display (might make one of those crafty EPIA
> toasters
> or something). Of course I don't want a screensaver
> when watching any sort of video, but I'd like to
> blank
> the LCD screen when in a menu in order to save on
> lamp
> time. Is there a way to do this? Enable the system
> screensaver through system calls? Blank the screen
> directly from myth? It has to be a true blank, not
> black screen, so that the lamp turns off.

Ooops. Didn't see the discussion back in June. Still
would be a nice feature. It looks like it can be done
with xset commands right in the xml files. I'll play
with it.

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
Re: Any way to permit screen saver only when in a menu? [ In reply to ]
From: Alan Snyder <ax763@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:40:15 -0800 (PST)
> I'm setting up a box in the kitchen with an LCD
> display (might make one of those crafty EPIA toasters
> or something). Of course I don't want a screensaver
> when watching any sort of video, but I'd like to blank
> the LCD screen when in a menu in order to save on lamp
> time. Is there a way to do this? Enable the system
> screensaver through system calls? Blank the screen
> directly from myth? It has to be a true blank, not a
> black screen, so that the lamp turns off.

I made some changes to my 0.12 system and currently have screen saver
support. It works great. Screen savers are suspended while playing
video, but while paused or in a menu, a screen saver may become
active. I have it working with the 3 screen savers that I'm familiar
with: basic X screen blanking, DPMS, and xscreensaver. The latter
looks great and is what I'm primarily using (I have it setup to go
thru 20 minutes of pretty screen savers and then do a DPMS screen
off). DPMS is likely what you want, where you can suspend the monitor
and/or turn it off.

I've been meaning to find time to port my changes to the current CVS
version, and then send in a diff. Let me know if you're interested in
just the 0.12 diff.

regards,
Cliff Draper Sun Microsystems, Forte Tools
My opinions may or may not reflect those of my employer.
"Liberties are not given, they are taken." Aldous Huxley