Mailing List Archive

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED]
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 10:06 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> If you're using ALSA, and selected a ALSA:blah device, they will be
> shown for sure ...
>
> And 5.1 will only be shown on your device if either AC3 or DTS or both
> are selected

I've been through all the setup -> general screens in Mythfrontend
several times now. There are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS.

I did get surround to work by trying various different things. The audio
setup screen appears to be very different than it was prior to my update
last weekend, so something has changed in this area.

I get several ALSA devices: default, NULL, IEC958, and several different
ones for the analog outputs. But if I select IEC958 like I used to do, I
only get stereo. I have to select the "surround51" device, then enable
advanced audio configuration and set up a separate digital output
device. That was the only way I could get surround sound out via SPDIF.

So I was too harsh in saying that it is "broken". It would be more
accurate to say that the audio setup screen has completely changed and I
find it very confusing. I doubt that it is really any more confusing
than it used to be, but it is different, and I had figured out how to
set things up under the old setup and had to go through the trial and
error process of getting the settings right all over again. But at least
it works now.

--Greg

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 14 July 2010 14:20, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> I've been through all the setup -> general screens in Mythfrontend
> several times now. There are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS.

Sorry, but if you select an ALSA device, unless that device is
reported as "Analog" (either in the name or description) then AC3 and
DTS checkbox *will* appear.

What does the line at the bottom states when you select that particular device

> I get several ALSA devices: default, NULL, IEC958, and several different
> ones for the analog outputs. But if I select IEC958 like I used to do, I

If you select IEC958, you *will* get the AC3 or DTS checkbox to show,
I can't imagine any circumstances where this wouldn't be true

> only get stereo. I have to select the "surround51" device, then enable
> advanced audio configuration and set up a separate digital output
> device. That was the only way I could get surround sound out via SPDIF.
>
> So I was too harsh in saying that it is "broken". It would be more
> accurate to say that the audio setup screen has completely changed and I
> find it very confusing. I doubt that it is really any more confusing
> than it used to be, but it is different, and I had figured out how to
> set things up under the old setup and had to go through the trial and
> error process of getting the settings right all over again. But at least
> it works now.

You shouldn't have to do this.
If you select ALSA:iec958, you will get the AC3 and DTS passthrough
checkbox, they must be activated for you to see the 5.1 output.

If you do not see them when iec958 is selected, then yes, something is broken.

I'd like to see a screen capture if you don't see them, so I can fix
the bug if any
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 14 July 2010 14:20, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> I get several ALSA devices: default, NULL, IEC958, and several different
> ones for the analog outputs. But if I select IEC958 like I used to do, I
> only get stereo. I have to select the "surround51" device, then enable
> advanced audio configuration and set up a separate digital output
> device. That was the only way I could get surround sound out via SPDIF.

You shouldn't see ALSA:null either...

What svn revision are you running?

seems like an old and buggy one
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Forgot to add, that you have to press on the rescan audio device button
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 16:21 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Sorry, but if you select an ALSA device, unless that device is
> reported as "Analog" (either in the name or description) then AC3 and
> DTS checkbox *will* appear.

Then the system must think that all my devices are analog, even IEC958,
because I do not see these checkboxes for any device.

> What does the line at the bottom states when you select that particular device

First I press the scan for audio devices bar, and this appears in the
terminal that I am running mythfrontend from (I am running it as root):

2010-07-14 14:06:14.425 ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_info_get_card: Operation
not permitted

If I select ALSA:default, at the bottom it says:

Device supports up to 5.1 (AC3, DTS)

But there are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS. I can select 5.1 under
Speaker Configuration, and if I then set up a separate digital output
and select IEC958, it works.

> If you select IEC958, you *will* get the AC3 or DTS checkbox to show,
> I can't imagine any circumstances where this wouldn't be true

But I tell you again: on my system these checkboxes do not appear. At
the bottom it says:

C-MEDIA CMI8788, Analog
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Output
Device supports up to 2.0

...and of course I can't select anything but Stereo under Speaker
Configuration.

> I'd like to see a screen capture if you don't see them, so I can fix
> the bug if any

If this description isn't enough, I'll try to get one, I'll just have to
figure out how to do that (it's some key press that I can't remember).

> What svn revision are you running?

# svn info
Repository Root: http://svn.mythtv.org/svn
Repository UUID: 7dbf422c-18fa-0310-86e9-fd20926502f2
Revision: 25327
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: nigel
Last Changed Rev: 25326
Last Changed Date: 2010-07-10 06:59:09 -0600 (Sat, 10 Jul 2010)

> Forgot to add, that you have to press on the rescan audio device
> button

Yes, I did that. If I don't do that, then ALSA:default is all I see.

--Greg

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
The screenshot was too big to post to the list, so you can find it at:

http://www.gregandeva.net/mythfrontend.png

--Greg

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 15 July 2010 06:45, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> The screenshot was too big to post to the list, so you can find it at:
>
> http://www.gregandeva.net/mythfrontend.png
>
> --Greg

I see what's going on...

For this device, the device description contains the word Analog ...

Going to change the logic and test for the word analog last...

Jean-Yves
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 15 July 2010 06:20, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> Then the system must think that all my devices are analog, even IEC958,
> because I do not see these checkboxes for any device.

Yes, for some reason the device name for IEC958 on your box is :
C-MEDIA CMI8788, Analog

go figure...

>> What does the line at the bottom states when you select that particular device
>
> First I press the scan for audio devices bar, and this appears in the
> terminal that I am running mythfrontend from (I am running it as root):
>
> 2010-07-14 14:06:14.425 ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_info_get_card: Operation
> not permitted

Seeing error is normal... Alsa reports a lot more devices than what
actually is usable, so myth try to configure and use each ones
reported. Those that fail are then removed from the list...
It's for those devices that you are seeing errors

> If I select ALSA:default, at the bottom it says:
>
> Device supports up to 5.1 (AC3, DTS)
>
> But there are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS. I can select 5.1 under
> Speaker Configuration, and if I then set up a separate digital output
> and select IEC958, it works.

Could you post a screen capture with ALSA:default selected?
that's a peculiar thing that's happening now.

If you see AC3 and DTS in the description, then the checkbox should
appear (it uses the same test to determine what do display as to
decide if the checkboxes should appear or not)

> Yes, I did that. If I don't do that, then ALSA:default is all I see.

Update to SVN >= 25334 , it tests for digital now, before testing if a
device is analog, so in the case of weird stuff like yours, it will
work.
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 10:15 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Could you post a screen capture with ALSA:default selected?

http://www.gregandeva.net/alsadefault.png

--Greg

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 15 July 2010 10:55, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 10:15 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Could you post a screen capture with ALSA:default selected?
>
> http://www.gregandeva.net/alsadefault.png

Something is wrong here...

The Audio Capabilities box should never be empty to start with, and on
yours it looks all squashed up
Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I'll be the first to admit that I don't
fully understand how surround sound really works, including on the
receiver side, but it appears that I am not really getting surround
sound out of myth at all since my "svn up" on July 10. I am going to
attempt to downgrade back to a previous version that worked (but
subversion does not make this easy, I will have to make an educated
guess about which previous revision to get). I don't think there have
been any database schema bumps since then so hopefully I can accomplish
this and get my surround sound back. without losing access to any
existing recordings.

If there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot my problem or if
anyone else has seen surround sound break in recent updates, please let
me know. I cannot completely rule out something I may have messed up
with settings or the database, but the bottom line is that surround
sound was working, I did an svn up and recompiled, and now surround
sound is not working. I don't know how else to get it working other than
going back to a previous version where it worked. I suppose it will be
interesting to see whether or not this is successful.

My hand editing of the data in the database has involved the channel,
cardinput, and capturecard tables; I haven't played with the settings
other than through the GUIs. I don't see offhand how this could have
affected the audio, but I can't be 100% sure it doesn't.

--Greg

Re: SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 17 July 2010 23:57, Greg Woods <greg@gregandeva.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I'll be the first to admit that I don't
> fully understand how surround sound really works, including on the
> receiver side, but it appears that I am not really getting surround
> sound out of myth at all since my "svn up" on July 10. I am going to
> attempt to downgrade back to a previous version that worked (but
> subversion does not make this easy, I will have to make an educated
> guess about which previous revision to get). I don't think there have
> been any database schema bumps since then so hopefully I can accomplish
> this and get my surround sound back. without losing access to any
> existing recordings.

Starting to help would be to actually describe what issue you're
having instead a very long version of "it doesn't work"

> If there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot my problem or if
> anyone else has seen surround sound break in recent updates, please let
> me know. I cannot completely rule out something I may have messed up
> with settings or the database, but the bottom line is that surround
> sound was working, I did an svn up and recompiled, and now surround
> sound is not working. I don't know how else to get it working other than
> going back to a previous version where it worked. I suppose it will be
> interesting to see whether or not this is successful.

Did you update to the version I mentioned earlier, that should fix the
AC3 and DTS flag not showing up with your card?

You will not get surround sound unless AC3 and/or DTS box are checked
with SPDIF output.

Manually selecting in the advanced settings the digital audio output
won't help in any ways whatsoever..

> My hand editing of the data in the database has involved the channel,
> cardinput, and capturecard tables; I haven't played with the settings
> other than through the GUIs. I don't see offhand how this could have
> affected the audio, but I can't be 100% sure it doesn't.

what does aplay -L and aplay -l shows on your box.

When you select ALSA:iec958 in the list, you should have 3 checkboxes
showing up, the first one is visible but disabled, the 2nd one is AC3
and 3rd one is DTS.

Once you check AC3 and DTS ,you will be able to select 5.1 ...

What's the resolution of your screen? I find it extremely puzzling
that the Audio Capabilities box be so small... Maybe it's there but
you don't see them..

Jean-Yves