Mailing List Archive

LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X
Perhaps a lirc user group is better? But, I don't know of any and the
doc on the lirc site isn't too helpful for me.

Hoping someone can help me.

IGUANA:
I purchased an IguanaIR. It took me a while to get this working under
Ubuntu 10.04, but I finally can flash the IR transmitter successfully
and consistently
Yeah!

LIRC:
lirc seems to be my problem.
I seemed to have needed to dnl/configure/install LIRC since iguanaIR
was not in the Ubuntu LIRC package.
I did that. Now when I type:

$ sudo lircd -H=?
Driver `=?' not supported.
Supported drivers:
iguanaIR

So, by this command, I assume I have iguanaIR successfully installed in LIRC

There is no /dev for lircd (like /dev/lirc0) so I created one.
But, everytime I start lircd and try irsend it times out:

$ sudo irsend send_once DC50X Enter
irsend: timeout

Then when I look at dmesg:

[82561.692642] lircd[30807]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
00007fff2d440ec0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000]

What could be going on?

Some points of reference:

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf is:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control

#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Iguanaworks USB IR Transceiver"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/ttyUSB0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS="-r"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/pace.conf"
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

# for iguana ir
DRIVER="iguanaIR"
DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"

==
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf is setup for the PACD DC50X, that I stole someplace:

# contributed by Mike Silliman
#
# brand: Pace
# supported devices: Pace DC50X (Comcast Digital Transport Adapter)
#
# Protocol: XMP-R
# Device: 62.16

begin remote
name DC50X
flags RAW_CODES
eps 30
aeps 100
gap 80412
begin raw_codes

name 1
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2656 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 894
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1578 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 894
210 763 210 763 210

name 2
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2524 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1026
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1446 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1026
210 763 210 763 210

name 3
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2393 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1157
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1315 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1157
210 763 210 763 210

name 4
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2261 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1315
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1157 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1315
210 763 210 763 210

name 5
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2130 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1446
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1026 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1446
210 763 210 763 210

name 6
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1972 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1578
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 894 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1578
210 763 210 763 210

name 7
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1841 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1709
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 763 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1709
210 763 210 763 210

name 8
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2787 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210

name 9
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1578 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 1972
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2656 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 1972
210 763 210 763 210

name 0
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 2787 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 763
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1709 210 1841
210 763 210 763 210 763
210 763 210 763 210

name Enter
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 1841 210 763
210 763 210 1026 210 1446
210 763 210 763 210 80413
210 894 210 1709 210 763
210 2787 210 1315 210 1315
210 1157 210 2656 210 13805
210 894 210 763 210 1841
210 763 210 1026 210 1446
210 763 210 763 210

end raw_codes
end remote

==
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps a lirc user group is better? But, I don't know of any and the
> doc on the lirc site isn't too helpful for me.
>
> Hoping someone can help me.
>
> IGUANA:
> I purchased an IguanaIR. It took me a while to get this working under
> Ubuntu 10.04, but I finally can flash the IR transmitter successfully
> and consistently
> Yeah!
>
> LIRC:
> lirc seems to be my problem.
> I seemed to have needed to dnl/configure/install LIRC since iguanaIR
> was not in the Ubuntu LIRC package.
> I did that. Now when I type:
>
> $ sudo lircd -H=?
> Driver `=?' not supported.
> Supported drivers:
>        iguanaIR

I think the syntax is:
sudo lircd -H iguanaIR
I also think you only need to pass the driver for testing. Your
configuration file lists the driver to use and the init.d script
references it.

> So, by this command, I assume I have iguanaIR successfully installed in LIRC
>

> There is no /dev for lircd (like /dev/lirc0) so I created one.
> But, everytime I start lircd and try irsend it times out:

On my 10.04 system (with MCE remote), the /dev/lirc0 device is created
when the kernel module loads. /dev/lircd is a link pointing to
/var/run/lirc/lircd which is a socket. The socket exists whether or
not lircd is running.

> $ sudo irsend  send_once DC50X Enter
> irsend: timeout
>
> Then when I look at dmesg:
>
> [82561.692642] lircd[30807]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
> 00007fff2d440ec0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000]
>

> What could be going on?

<snip>
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM, James Crow <crow.jamesm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps a lirc user group is better? But, I don't know of any and the
>> doc on the lirc site isn't too helpful for me.

Uhm. Visit lirc.org and check out the list of links near the top left.
(Hint: one of them is titled "Mailing list").

>> $ sudo lircd -H=?
>> Driver `=?' not supported.
>> Supported drivers:
>>        iguanaIR
>>
> I think the syntax is:
> sudo lircd -H iguanaIR
> I also think you only need to pass the driver for testing. Your
> configuration file lists the driver to use and the init.d script
> references it.
>>
>> So, by this command, I assume I have iguanaIR successfully installed in LIRC

You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
iguanaIR in LIRC. :)

>> There is no /dev for lircd (like /dev/lirc0) so I created one.

Stop doing that. Its wrong. lirc device nodes are only created when
the IR hardware is driven by an lirc_foo kernel driver. The iguanaIR
devices use a userspace driver. There should never be a /dev/lirc[0-9]
in your setup.

>> But, everytime I start lircd and try irsend it times out:
>>
> On my 10.04 system (with MCE remote), the /dev/lirc0 device is created
> when the kernel module loads.

This is correct.

> /dev/lircd is a link pointing to
> /var/run/lirc/lircd which is a socket.

As is this -- at least for the Ubuntu case (the symlink is created by
the ubuntu lirc initscript, iirc).

> The socket exists whether or
> not lircd is running.

But this is not correct. The actual socket should only exist when
lircd is running, because its lircd that creates the socket.

>> $ sudo irsend  send_once DC50X Enter
>> irsend: timeout
>>
>> Then when I look at dmesg:
>>
>> [82561.692642] lircd[30807]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
>> 00007fff2d440ec0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000]
>>

>> What could be going on?

You probably haven't specified DRIVER=iguanaIR or whatever it is
that's needed in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, so lircd is trying to talk
to the not-actually-backed-by-any-hardware /dev/lirc0 you created.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> $ sudo irsend  send_once DC50X Enter
>>> irsend: timeout
>>>
>>> Then when I look at dmesg:
>>>
>>> [82561.692642] lircd[30807]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
>>> 00007fff2d440ec0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000]
>>>

>>> What could be going on?
>
> You probably haven't specified DRIVER=iguanaIR or whatever it is
> that's needed in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, so lircd is trying to talk
> to the not-actually-backed-by-any-hardware /dev/lirc0 you created.

Apologies, I take that back, your hardware.conf does appear to have
the right driver set (perils of replying to a reply, didn't look at
the full original mail). In that case, its probably a different
problem. Exactly what though, I don't know.

The IguanaWorks guys were supposedly going to send me hardware so I
could actually test it and be able to help others using their
hardware, but they never came through and I got tired of reminding
them, so their loss (and their users).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:12:03 -0400, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com>
wrote:

>> You probably haven't specified DRIVER=iguanaIR or whatever it is
>> that's needed in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, so lircd is trying to talk
>> to the not-actually-backed-by-any-hardware /dev/lirc0 you created.
>
> Apologies, I take that back, your hardware.conf does appear to have
> the right driver set (perils of replying to a reply, didn't look at
> the full original mail). In that case, its probably a different
> problem. Exactly what though, I don't know.

> The IguanaWorks guys were supposedly going to send me hardware so I
> could actually test it and be able to help others using their
> hardware, but they never came through and I got tired of reminding
> them, so their loss (and their users).

Did you do the steps as outlined on the Iguanaworks start page?
http://iguanaworks.net/projects/IguanaIR/wiki/GettingStarted

STEP 1: On Ubuntu platform make sure you have installed LIB USB 1.0 when
you compile.

STEP 3: is a little sparse on getting LIRC compiled nicely from source on
Ubuntu...
http://iguanaworks.net/downloads.php?distro=deb
"We recommend using your distrobution's version of LIRC. You will need to
compile LIRC to support our driver. After you have installed the iguanair
package, add your distros source repository to /etc/apt/sources.list. Then
run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
sudo apt-get -b source lirc

that should compile lirc packages that support our device. Run "sudo dpkg
-i " to install the packages."

REMEMBER to use apt or dkpg or wajig to "hold" back the several lirc
related libs/packages to prevent them from being re-installed by your
package manager:
liblircclient-dev liblircclient0 lirc lirc-modules-source

A snippet of my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf contains this

DRIVER="iguanaIR"
DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="My IguanaIR custom config"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="pace/dct50x.conf"
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains this:
include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/pace/dc50xv2.conf"
include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/motorola/dct2244.conf"

My dc50xv2.conf file starts like this
begin remote

# name MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X
name dc50x
bits 24
flags XMP
eps 20
aeps 300

My channel change script in /usr/local/bin/ looks like this:
#!/usr/bin/perl

# make sure to set this string to
# the corresponding remote in /etc/lircd.conf
$remote_name = "dc50x";

sub change_channel {
my($channel_digit) = @_;
system ("irsend SEND_ONCE $remote_name $channel_digit");
sleep .3;
}

system ("irsend set_transmitters 1");
$channel=$ARGV[0];
sleep .3;
if (length($channel) > 2) {
change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
change_channel(substr($channel,1,1));
change_channel(substr($channel,2,1));
} elsif (length($channel) > 1) {
change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
change_channel(substr($channel,1,1));
} else {
change_channel(substr($channel,0,1));
}
system ("rc SEND_ONCE $remote_name KEY_ENTER");

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM, James Crow <crow.jamesm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> The socket exists whether or
>> not lircd is running.
>
> But this is not correct. The actual socket should only exist when
> lircd is running, because its lircd that creates the socket.

<snip>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod@wilsonet.com

Jarod,

You obviously know way more than I do about lirc, but on my 10.04
system the /var/run/lirc/lircd socket exists whether or not lircd is
running. If I delete the socket lircd creates a new one the next time
it starts, but the socket is not automatically removed when lirc
stops.

Cheers,
James
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
I appreciate your experience! I'll check this out when I get home tonight!

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM, James Crow <crow.jamesm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM, James Crow <crow.jamesm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> The socket exists whether or
>>> not lircd is running.
>>
>> But this is not correct. The actual socket should only exist when
>> lircd is running, because its lircd that creates the socket.
>>
> <snip>
>> --
>> Jarod Wilson
>> jarod@wilsonet.com
>
> Jarod,
>
>  You obviously know way more than I do about lirc, but on my 10.04
> system the /var/run/lirc/lircd socket exists whether or not lircd is
> running. If I delete the socket lircd creates a new one the next time
> it starts, but the socket is not automatically removed when lirc
> stops.

Seems we're both partially right on this one. :)

The socket doesn't exist on boot, but does after the first time you
start up lircd. When you halt lircd, it doesn't actually remove the
socket.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:06, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> $ sudo lircd -H=?
>>> Driver `=?' not supported.
>>> Supported drivers:
>>>        iguanaIR
>>>
>> I think the syntax is:
>> sudo lircd -H iguanaIR
>> I also think you only need to pass the driver for testing. Your
>> configuration file lists the driver to use and the init.d script
>> references it.
>>>
>>> So, by this command, I assume I have iguanaIR successfully installed in LIRC
>
> You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
> iguanaIR in LIRC. :)

What does this mean?
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:05, Croxen, Kevin <klcroxen@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

OK, I deleted /dev/lirc[x]

IF I

sudo lircd -d /dev/iguanaIR/0

I receive:

$ sudo lircd -d /dev/iguanaIR/0
lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
lircd: No such file or directory

lircd is pointing to the one that I created:

$ which lircd
/usr/local/sbin/lircd

> Also, if lirc is correctly installed, irsend will be done as your user, without sudo, e.g. "irsend SEND_ONCE dc50x 5 (or whatever)" If the lirc compile added your second copy of lircd under /usr/local, then using irsend with sudo is likely invoking the wrong one, the old Ubuntu one without the driver.

I removed (using synaptics) lirc before I compiled my own version.

>>> Third: the iguanaIR  daemon  (igdaemon) will be very unstable on Ubuntu
>>> until you install usb-lib 1.0.0 or above. This is provided through Synaptic
>>> but is not a "standard" Ubuntu package and probably was not included in the
>>> default installation.

am I not beyond that? I can run igclient with no problem and the IR
transmitter will flash consistently.

>>I don't know, it seems to continually and consistently run and flash
>>when I use their tools
>
> Check their docs, and check your libusb version. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (with an upgraded lirc). Canonical may finally have gotten with the program and used the updated libs by default in 10.04. What I do know is that the source code for the iguanaIR 1.0-pre- toolset won't even compile without the updated libusb 1.0.0 (I use iguanaIR to blast to dc50x boxes on both Ubuntu and on Slackware machines, for the latter of which I have to do all Mythtv and related installations from source.)

Yeah, from what you say, this could be a problem

/usr/lib/libusb.so -> /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4

I do have 1.0, though:

ls /usr/lib/libusb*

ls -/lib/libusb*

> The author of the iguanaIR tools writes that he neglected to make
> the updated libs an official dependency for the .deb package
> (so that the deb install doesn't actually blow up without them),
> but because of stability issues strongly advises the libs be upgraded.
> I found that without them the Ubuntu installation would get through
> about 5 successful channel changes before the USB port locks
> up, necessitating the dongle be pulled, reinserted, and then igdaemon
> and lircd restarted.

yuck, no fun. Thanks for the warning.

What should be my next step. Can I just repoint libusb?
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:54, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Ok. But, I am doing that in the hardware.conf. Do I need to designate
>>>it someplace else?
>>
>> You made a /dev/lirc0 by hand. Lirc may mistakenly be trying to use this erroneous socket instead of /dev/iguanaIR/0 You can compel lirc to use the correct socket by starting lircd with "sudo lircd -d /dev/iguanaIR/0"
>
> OK, I deleted /dev/lirc[x]
>
> IF I
>
> sudo lircd -d /dev/iguanaIR/0
>
> I receive:
>
> $ sudo lircd -d /dev/iguanaIR/0
> lircd: can't open or create /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
> lircd: No such file or directory

I basically fixed this by creating a directory under /var/run/lirc
for the pid. I don't think I should have needed to do that, should I?

anyway, here's my status

=====STATUS=====

starting lirc and using irsend gives me a timeout:

$ sudo lircd --driver=iguanaIR --device=/dev/iguanaIR/0
--pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid --listen

$ irsend set_transmitters 1 2 3 4
irsend: timeout

It also gives a segfault:
(dmesg):

6162.068687] lircd[5425]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040eafa sp
00007fff0fb88bf0 error 4 in lircd[400000+17000

--
It seems strange that when sending irsend, a segfault in dmesg is
registered but lircd still runs:

$ ps ax | grep lirc
5486 ? S 0:00 lircd --driver=iguanaIR
--device=/dev/iguanaIR/0 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid --listen

=====WHAT NEXT?=====

It seems that what you are saying is that libusb needs to be at least
version 1.0 for this to work?

Are there any other issues?

Looking at:
http://iguanaworks.net/projects/IguanaIR/wiki/GettingStarted

I've done what is listed. The only thing that is bothering me is Jarod saying:

"You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
iguanaIR in LIRC. :)"

Because I have:

$ lircd -H ?
Driver `?' not supported.
Supported drivers:
iguanaIR

What else do I need to do?

and, my hardware.conf seems correct. This is it:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
Thanks mythtv@derdev.com (that can't be your real name)
Your procedure certainly looks great. However, I can't find the ubuntu
source repo that has lirc. See below

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:39, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:

> Did you do the steps as outlined on the Iguanaworks start page?
> http://iguanaworks.net/projects/IguanaIR/wiki/GettingStarted
>
> STEP 1: On Ubuntu platform make sure you have installed LIB USB 1.0 when
> you compile.

it is installed, but so is libusb 0.1.
Will that matter?

> STEP 3: is a little sparse on getting LIRC compiled nicely from source on
> Ubuntu...
> http://iguanaworks.net/downloads.php?distro=deb
> "We recommend using your distrobution's version of LIRC. You will need to
> compile LIRC to support our driver. After you have installed the iguanair
> package, add your distros source repository to /etc/apt/sources.list. Then
> run:
>
> sudo apt-get update

that'd be great, but I've been trying to find the source via the repos
and I can't find it.
Do you know where I can find the ubuntu 9.10 repos for the lirce
source? From what I've been finding on google, I should have the repo,
no (I know someone on this list will blast me for not "researching"
enough, but I've been looking for this for an hour and I'm not any
closer. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu at all (gentoo, yes))

=====
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release amd64 (20091027)]/
karmic main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic restricted main
multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates restricted
main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security
restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security multiverse

=================

but,
$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

ANY HELP appreciated! Thanks!

brad
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think the syntax is:
>>> sudo lircd -H iguanaIR
>>> I also think you only need to pass the driver for testing. Your
>>> configuration file lists the driver to use and the init.d script
>>> references it.

>> You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
>> iguanaIR in LIRC. :)
>
> What does this mean?

Just clarifying terminology. You didn't "install" iguanaIR into LIRC,
you built LIRC with support for iguanaIR devices, as reflected by
lircd saying supported drivers: iguanaIR. I think you're fine here.
Though I do wonder if perhaps you needed to build it with libusb1-dev
packages installed to get it built against the proper libusb. Now that
I think about it, that actually seems fairly likely the root of the
problem here -- you likely couldn't have built a package that would
properly function w/libusb1 w/o having libusb1 headers to build
against. I'd rebuild after you get the appropriate bits installed.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 21:20, Jarod Wilson <jarod@wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> You have LIRC compiled with iguanaIR support. You didn't "install"
>>> iguanaIR in LIRC. :)
>>
>> What does this mean?
>
> Just clarifying terminology. You didn't "install" iguanaIR into LIRC,
> you built LIRC with support for iguanaIR devices, as reflected by
> lircd saying supported drivers: iguanaIR. I think you're fine here.

Got it, that's what I thought.

> Though I do wonder if perhaps you needed to build it with libusb1-dev
> packages installed to get it built against the proper libusb. Now that
> I think about it, that actually seems fairly likely the root of the
> problem here -- you likely couldn't have built a package that would
> properly function w/libusb1 w/o having libusb1 headers to build
> against. I'd rebuild after you get the appropriate bits installed.

You're probably right, thanks. I'll look into getting the ubuntu repo
source of lirc and make sure that it is compiled against lsbusb 1.0

Thanks!
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:39, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:

> STEP 3: is a little sparse on getting LIRC compiled nicely from source on
> Ubuntu...
> http://iguanaworks.net/downloads.php?distro=deb
> "We recommend using your distrobution's version of LIRC. You will need to
> compile LIRC to support our driver. After you have installed the iguanair
> package, add your distros source repository to /etc/apt/sources.list. Then
> run:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
> sudo apt-get -b source lirc
>
> that should compile lirc packages that support our device. Run "sudo dpkg
> -i " to install the packages."

Ok, this is way OT for here, but others that don't have debian
experience might benefit from this. I'm not done.... this is just my
progress.

did the 3 steps above, and it created:
directory:
lirc-0.8.6
files:
liblircclient0_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
liblircclient-dev_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2.diff.gz
lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2.dsc
lirc_0.8.6.orig.tar.gz
lirc-modules-source_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_all.deb
lirc-x_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb

So, hunting around for what to do.... (!) I did this:

sudo dpkg -i liblircclient0_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
liblircclient-dev_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc-modules-source_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_all.deb
lirc-x_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb

and, a lot of installing and configuring happened.

Just for archival purposes, this was the output:

$ sudo dpkg -i liblircclient0_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
liblircclient-dev_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
lirc-modules-source_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_all.deb
lirc-x_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 200549 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace liblircclient0 0.8.6-0ubuntu2 (using
liblircclient0_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement liblircclient0 ...
Preparing to replace liblircclient-dev 0.8.6-0ubuntu2 (using
liblircclient-dev_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement liblircclient-dev ...
Selecting previously deselected package lirc.
Unpacking lirc (from lirc_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Preparing to replace lirc-modules-source 0.8.6-0ubuntu2 (using
lirc-modules-source_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Unpacking replacement lirc-modules-source ...
Selecting previously deselected package lirc-x.
Unpacking lirc-x (from lirc-x_0.8.6-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up liblircclient0 (0.8.6-0ubuntu2) ...

Setting up liblircclient-dev (0.8.6-0ubuntu2) ...
Setting up lirc (0.8.6-0ubuntu2) ...

Configuration file `/etc/lirc/lircd.conf'
==> File on system created by you or by a script.
==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** lircd.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Configuration file `/etc/lirc/hardware.conf'
==> File on system created by you or by a script.
==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : background this process to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** hardware.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
[ OK ]
* Starting remote control daemon(s) : LIRC
lircd: there seems to already
be a lircd process with pid 5553
lircd: otherwise delete stale lockfile /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid

[fail]

Setting up lirc-modules-source (0.8.6-0ubuntu2) ...
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 2.6.31-22-generic
Done.

lirc_dev.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_atiusb.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_bt829.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_ite8709.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_i2c.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_igorplugusb.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_imon.ko:
Running module version sanity check.

Error! Module version 0.6 for lirc_imon.ko
is not newer than what is already found in kernel 2.6.31-22-generic (0.6).
You may override by specifying --force.

lirc_it87.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_mceusb.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_ttusbir.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_sasem.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_serial.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_sir.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_streamzap.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

lirc_ene0100.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.31-22-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod.....

DKMS: install Completed.

Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 1 added doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hal ...
Regenerating hal fdi cache ...
hal start/running, process 11368
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Setting up lirc-x (0.8.6-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Now, the location of lircd has changed:

$ which lircd
/usr/sbin/lircd

Yeah.,,,

More in next msg...
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
I started lircd with:

sudo lircd --driver=iguanaIR --device=/dev/iguanaIR/0
--pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid --listen

Didn't seem to work well with irsend. So, I compared what Ben Luey and
others had in their hardware.conf with yours:

> #Chosen IR Transmitter
> TRANSMITTER="My IguanaIR custom config"
> TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
> TRANSMITTER_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"
> TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="pace/dct50x.conf"
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

This is different than mine, but yours makes more sense. I changed it.

and restarted lircd and sent:

$ irsend send_once DC50X Ente

and the IR transmitter FLASHED!!!! YEAH!!!!

Don't know if it flashed correctly, but at least it flashed!

> My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains this:
> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/pace/dc50xv2.conf"
> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/motorola/dct2244.conf"

ok, that's a better way

> My dc50xv2.conf file starts like this
> begin remote
>
> # name MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X
> name dc50x
> bits 24
> flags XMP
> eps 20
> aeps 300

Mine is different:

# contributed by Mike Silliman
#
# brand: Pace
# supported devices: Pace DC50X (Comcast Digital Transport Adapter)
#
# Protocol: XMP-R
# Device: 62.16

begin remote
name DC50X
flags RAW_CODES
eps 30
aeps 100
gap 80412
begin raw_codes

Why is this one so different from yours? Are your codes different too?
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:51:37 -0700, Brad Fuller
<bradallenfuller@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I started lircd with:
>
> sudo lircd --driver=iguanaIR --device=/dev/iguanaIR/0
> --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid --listen
>
> Didn't seem to work well with irsend. So, I compared what Ben Luey and
> others had in their hardware.conf with yours:
>

>> #Chosen IR Transmitter
>> TRANSMITTER="My IguanaIR custom config"
>> TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
>> TRANSMITTER_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
>> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"
>> TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
>> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="pace/dct50x.conf"
>> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> This is different than mine, but yours makes more sense. I changed it.
>
> and restarted lircd and sent:
>
> $ irsend send_once DC50X Ente
>
> and the IR transmitter FLASHED!!!! YEAH!!!!
>
> Don't know if it flashed correctly, but at least it flashed!
>
>> My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains this:
>> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/pace/dc50xv2.conf"
>> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/motorola/dct2244.conf"
>
> ok, that's a better way
>
>> My dc50xv2.conf file starts like this
>> begin remote
>>
>> # name MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X
>> name dc50x
>> bits 24
>> flags XMP
>> eps 20
>> aeps 300
>
> Mine is different:
>
> # contributed by Mike Silliman
> #
> # brand: Pace
> # supported devices: Pace DC50X (Comcast Digital Transport Adapter)
> #
> # Protocol: XMP-R
> # Device: 62.16
>
> begin remote
> name DC50X
> flags RAW_CODES
> eps 30
> aeps 100
> gap 80412
> begin raw_codes
>

> Why is this one so different from yours? Are your codes different too?

I'll be back to my myth machine later today and will post all my config
files. Hang in there....

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:02:25 -0500, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:51:37 -0700, Brad Fuller
> <bradallenfuller@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I started lircd with:
>>
>> sudo lircd --driver=iguanaIR --device=/dev/iguanaIR/0
>> --pidfile=/var/run/lirc/lircd.pid --listen
>>
>> Didn't seem to work well with irsend. So, I compared what Ben Luey and
>> others had in their hardware.conf with yours:
>>

>>> #Chosen IR Transmitter
>>> TRANSMITTER="My IguanaIR custom config"
>>> TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
>>> TRANSMITTER_DRIVER="iguanaIR"
>>> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/iguanaIR/0"
>>> TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
>>> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF="pace/dct50x.conf"
>>> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>>
>> This is different than mine, but yours makes more sense. I changed it.
>>
>> and restarted lircd and sent:
>>
>> $ irsend send_once DC50X Ente
>>
>> and the IR transmitter FLASHED!!!! YEAH!!!!
>>
>> Don't know if it flashed correctly, but at least it flashed!
>>
>>> My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains this:
>>> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/pace/dc50xv2.conf"
>>> include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/motorola/dct2244.conf"
>>
>> ok, that's a better way
>>
>>> My dc50xv2.conf file starts like this
>>> begin remote
>>>
>>> # name MotorolaDTA100-PaceDC50X
>>> name dc50x
>>> bits 24
>>> flags XMP
>>> eps 20
>>> aeps 300
>>
>> Mine is different:
>>
>> # contributed by Mike Silliman
>> #
>> # brand: Pace
>> # supported devices: Pace DC50X (Comcast Digital Transport Adapter)
>> #
>> # Protocol: XMP-R
>> # Device: 62.16
>>
>> begin remote
>> name DC50X
>> flags RAW_CODES
>> eps 30
>> aeps 100
>> gap 80412
>> begin raw_codes
>>

>> Why is this one so different from yours? Are your codes different too?
>
> I'll be back to my myth machine later today and will post all my config
> files. Hang in there....

Brad, (all)

I forced myself to build a wiki page for iguanair (with heavy Ubuntu bias)
since it hadn't been done. Apologies if it's incomplete or violates
anyone's wiki style sensibilities.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IguanaIR

Please shout out if you need/want more details.

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 15:37, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
> Brad, (all)
>
> I forced myself to build a wiki page for iguanair (with heavy Ubuntu bias)
> since it hadn't been done.  Apologies if it's incomplete or violates
> anyone's wiki style sensibilities.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IguanaIR
>
> Please shout out if you need/want more details.

Thanks! I'm glad you did that! I'll check it out tonight
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
A big thank you!

I had to restart my BE and found that the iguana channels were set to
0 instead of what I had set them at (4). Do they get reset?

Anyway, I took your channel changing script (maybe you should put that
on the wiki) and found I needed to change the setting of where you set
the transmitter from 1 to 3

irsend set_transmitters 3

That was all I needed to do to change channels.

====
My next problem is the setting in myth setup. I have a PVR250 and
placed the channel changer script in the appropriate place, set it to
channel 3 and tested it with Live TV. All I got was a blank screen.
(I have 3 other tuners that work fine and I switched to this one.)

I see in the WIKI that Myth does not take channel number but freq ID.
Is that still the case (don't know if the wiki is up to date)
If that's the case, that's probably why there's a black screen.
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:18:35 -0700, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com>
wrote:
> A big thank you!
>
> I had to restart my BE and found that the iguana channels were set to
> 0 instead of what I had set them at (4). Do they get reset?
>
> Anyway, I took your channel changing script (maybe you should put that
> on the wiki) and found I needed to change the setting of where you set
> the transmitter from 1 to 3
>
> irsend set_transmitters 3
>
> That was all I needed to do to change channels.
>
> ====
> My next problem is the setting in myth setup. I have a PVR250 and
> placed the channel changer script in the appropriate place, set it to
> channel 3 and tested it with Live TV. All I got was a blank screen.
> (I have 3 other tuners that work fine and I switched to this one.)
>
> I see in the WIKI that Myth does not take channel number but freq ID.
> Is that still the case (don't know if the wiki is up to date)
> If that's the case, that's probably why there's a black screen.

My experience is that a blank screen on WatchTV with this was because the
channel change script wasn't found.

You need to check the backend log to verify.

I believe the default folder is /usr/local/bin/ so make sure the script is
there, is set to executable, owned by mythtv's user, etc.

Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 04:21, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:18:35 -0700, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> A big thank you!
>>
>> I had to restart my BE and found that the iguana channels were set to
>> 0 instead of what I had set them at (4). Do they get reset?
>>
>> Anyway, I took your channel changing script (maybe you should put that
>> on the wiki) and found I needed to change the setting of where you set
>> the transmitter from 1 to 3
>>
>> irsend set_transmitters 3
>>
>> That was all I needed to do to change channels.
>>
>> ====
>> My next problem is the setting in myth setup. I have a PVR250 and
>> placed the channel changer script in the appropriate place, set it to
>> channel 3 and tested it with Live TV.  All I got was a blank screen.
>> (I have 3 other tuners that work fine and I switched to this one.)
>>
>> I see in the WIKI that Myth does not take channel number but freq ID.
>> Is that still the case (don't know if the wiki is up to date)
>> If that's the case, that's probably why there's a black screen.
>
> My experience is that a blank screen on WatchTV with this was because the
> channel change script wasn't found.

Hmmm... I did hook the TV up to check and the channel was still set ok.

> You need to check the backend log to verify.
>
> I believe the default folder is /usr/local/bin/ so make sure the script is
> there, is set to executable, owned by mythtv's user, etc.

right, those are the first things I checked. I used the full path in
mythtv-setup. I'm sure the BE wouldn't add the path again
/usr/local/bin/usr/local/bin
I'll check.

Thanks!
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 04:21, <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
>> ====
>> My next problem is the setting in myth setup. I have a PVR250 and
>> placed the channel changer script in the appropriate place, set it to
>> channel 3 and tested it with Live TV.  All I got was a blank screen.
>> (I have 3 other tuners that work fine and I switched to this one.)
>>
>> I see in the WIKI that Myth does not take channel number but freq ID.
>> Is that still the case (don't know if the wiki is up to date)

Anyone confirm or deny this?
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 04:21,  <mythtv@derdev.com> wrote:
>>> ====
>>> My next problem is the setting in myth setup. I have a PVR250 and
>>> placed the channel changer script in the appropriate place, set it to
>>> channel 3 and tested it with Live TV.  All I got was a blank screen.
>>> (I have 3 other tuners that work fine and I switched to this one.)
>>>
>>> I see in the WIKI that Myth does not take channel number but freq ID.
>>> Is that still the case (don't know if the wiki is up to date)
>
> Anyone confirm or deny this?

I think that's correct. But for channels coming through a cable box,
unless you've manually changed the channel number the station is
mapped to, they're going to be identical. It definitely needs it to
use freqid though, because if you've reassigned, say, channel 505 to
channel 5 in your frontend, what you need to send to the cable box to
get it to the intended channel is 505... But yeah, on my own setup,
for every channel coming through a cable box, channum == freqid.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LIRC help needed with IguanaIR and PACE DC50X [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2010 01:10 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Anyone confirm or deny this?
> I think that's correct. But for channels coming through a cable box,
> unless you've manually changed the channel number the station is
> mapped to, they're going to be identical. It definitely needs it to
> use freqid though, because if you've reassigned, say, channel 505 to
> channel 5 in your frontend, what you need to send to the cable box to
> get it to the intended channel is 505... But yeah, on my own setup,
> for every channel coming through a cable box, channum == freqid.

Yes. Exactly.

Channel numbers allow Live TV users to switch directly to a specific
channel using a remote (so the channel numbers are user-assignable,
allowing you to fix the stupid numbers your cable company gives so you
can tune Fox 35 with the channel number 35 instead of channel 3 that
your cable company uses).

Channel frequency IDs tell the tuner/tuning script how to tune a
specific channel. They are user-editable, but are required to be some
value that the tuner/tuning script understands (so they're "assigned" by
the broadcaster or the writer of the tuning script). So, if you're
using some internal tuner, you'd need to use the frequency identifier
(i.e. number withing a frequency map) or frequency in kHz, but you can
use a channel-change script that maps whatever values you want to
specific tuning commands. Generally, though, for a channel-change
script, it makes the most sense to use just specify a frequency ID that
can be passed directly through to the external tuner (the STB).

Channel callsign tells the scheduler which channels are distinct (as
distinct callsigns mean that channels are distinct for the purposes of
scheduling). Callsigns are used for "this channel" rules to determine
which channels to consider (where callsigns match). Channel callsigns
should never be the same unless the content on the channels is identical.

And, the combination of channel number and channel callsign can be used
to prevent redundant display of data in the EPG. If multiple channels
have identical channel numbers and callsigns, they will be displayed
only once in the EPG (rather than display multiple rows with identical
data right next to each other). Note, also, that--because the channel
number is used to allow Live TV users to switch directly to a specific
channel--if you set multiple channels with identical channel numbers,
you won't be able to tell MythTV which of those identical channels to
tune in Live TV: i.e. you're saying they're truly identical for all
purposes--scheduling, Live TV viewing, and EPG--and you don't care at
all which is used.

Mike