Any ideas on what could be causing this? mysql was not touched by the system update.

Regards
Jongi
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
On 2010-06-16, at 12:12 PM, Jongi wrote:

> Setting up mythtv-database (0.23-0.2) ...
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this? mysql was not touched by the system update.

Assuming your setup is pure debian multimedia packages you're missing a config.xml or mysql.txt for the root user.

Copy your myth user's .mythtv/config.xml into /root/.mythtv and try again.

- George
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
Setting up mythtv-database (0.23-0.2) ...
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? mysql was not touched by the system update.

Assuming your setup is pure debian multimedia packages you're missing a config.xml or mysql.txt for the root user.
Copy your myth user's .mythtv/config.xml into /root/.mythtv and try again.
- George
The files exist. I in any event copied the ones from the mythtv user into the root directory (/root/.mythtv). Same problem
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
On 2010-06-16, at 3:28 PM, Jongi wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 07:38 PM, George Nassas wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-06-16, at 12:12 PM, Jongi wrote:
>>
>>> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
>>
>> Copy your myth user's .mythtv/config.xml into /root/.mythtv and try again.
> The files exist. I in any event copied the ones from the mythtv user into the root directory (/root/.mythtv). Same problem

Hmmm. I thought the package script was looking for your configured l/p and missing it but reviewing the deb file's postinst script I see it first tries a mysql root login to test if mythconverg even exists.

Could it be that your mysql root password has changed since the last time you upgraded mythtv-database? I'm not sure how the script gets that password but it seems to keep it in a text db somewhere.

Failing that I'm out of guesses.

- George
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
Copy your myth user's .mythtv/config.xml into /root/.mythtv and try again.
The files exist. I in any event copied the ones from the mythtv user into the root directory (/root/.mythtv). Same problem

Hmmm. I thought the package script was looking for your configured l/p and missing it but reviewing the deb file's postinst script I see it first tries a mysql root login to test if mythconverg even exists.
Could it be that your mysql root password has changed since the last time you upgraded mythtv-database? I'm not sure how the script gets that password but it seems to keep it in a text db somewhere.
Failing that I'm out of guesses.
- George
i certainly didn't change it if it has changed. i'll email Christian and see what his thoughts are.
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
On 16/06/10 23:48, Jongi wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 11:48 PM, George Nassas wrote:

>>> The files exist. I in any event copied the ones from the mythtv user
>>> into the root directory (/root/.mythtv). Same problem
>>
>> Hmmm. I thought the package script was looking for your configured l/p
>> and missing it but reviewing the deb file's postinst script I see it
>> first tries a mysql root login to test if mythconverg even exists.
>>
>> Could it be that your mysql root password has changed since the last
>> time you upgraded mythtv-database? I'm not sure how the script gets
>> that password but it seems to keep it in a text db somewhere.
>>
>> Failing that I'm out of guesses.
>>
>> - George
>>
> i certainly didn't change it if it has changed. i'll email Christian and
> see what his thoughts are.

The postinst script is looking in the debconf db
http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html

This may help:

------
#!/bin/sh -e

# Source debconf library.
. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule

show () {
db_get $1
echo $1 is $RET
}

# uncomment these lines to set
#db_set mythtv/mysql_admin_user root
#db_set mythtv/mysql_admin_password rootpw

show mythtv/mysql_admin_user
show mythtv/mysql_admin_password

------

David
Re: mythtv-database problem (Debian Testing) [ In reply to ]
#db_set mythtv/mysql_admin_password rootpw

show mythtv/mysql_admin_user
show mythtv/mysql_admin_password
The output is as I expected it

mythtv-debian:~# ./mysqlpass