In my recordings the snapshots are nothing but 1x1 pixel in size.. they come
in a variety of browns?
Im curious as to what could be causing this problem..
Re: Recording Snapshots? [ In reply to ]
On 11/14/2009 07:28 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
> In my recordings the snapshots are nothing but 1x1 pixel in size.. they come
> in a variety of browns?
> Im curious as to what could be causing this problem..

Known issue with analog frame grabbers for a long time. You get the
color of the upper left-most pixel.

Mike
Re: Recording Snapshots? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 18:09, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 11/14/2009 07:28 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
>
>> In my recordings the snapshots are nothing but 1x1 pixel in size.. they
>> come
>> in a variety of browns?
>> Im curious as to what could be causing this problem..
>>

> Known issue with analog frame grabbers for a long time. You get the color
> of the upper left-most pixel.
>
> Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the quick response to my post.
It appears as though Im in need of updating some of my hardware, which is
long
passed do. But until then I have tossed together a cronjob to take
screenshots,
since i don't appear to be having a problem with mplayer or ffmpeg from a
terminal.
I know its not the cleanest way of doing it but it is working for the
moment, so until
I can replace my tuner, it will have to do.. lol

Cheers, Joe Wilson..

#!/bin/bash
#
# Take snapshots of all nuv files found
# in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
#
cd /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
for f in *.nuv; do ffmpeg -i $f -an -ss 00:00:30 -an -r 1 -vframes 1 -y -f
image2 -s 400x300 $f.png; done
Re: Recording Snapshots? [ In reply to ]
On 11/15/2009 12:15 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 18:09, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2009 07:28 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> In my recordings the snapshots are nothing but 1x1 pixel in size.. they
>>> come
>>> in a variety of browns?
>>> Im curious as to what could be causing this problem..
>> Known issue with analog frame grabbers for a long time. You get the color
>> of the upper left-most pixel.
> Thanks for the quick response to my post.
> It appears as though Im in need of updating some of my hardware, which is
> long
> passed do. But until then I have tossed together a cronjob to take
> screenshots,
> since i don't appear to be having a problem with mplayer or ffmpeg from a
> terminal.
> I know its not the cleanest way of doing it but it is working for the
> moment, so until
> I can replace my tuner, it will have to do.. lol

If you can come up with a patch for the bug, we can get it fixed for
everyone. It just happens to be way down low on my TODO list since I
have only ATSC tuners, so it's not really affecting me.

It may not even happen in all cases, too. I tried doing a lossy
transcode on my dev box (making an MPEG-4 in NUV file) to see if things
worked, and couldn't get the invalid preview images, so it might be
fixed in 0.22-fixes and trunk. If you're still using 0.21-fixes, you
might want to try upgrading to see if it's fixed (and, if so, I'd
appreciate your letting us know--so I can take that off my TODO list :).

Then again, looking at the last time I saw this pop up on the list (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365971#365971 ), it
seems at that time, I thought it was only RTJPEG in NUV. (Can your
system handle encoding to MPEG-4 in NUV in real time?)

Still, I'd love a patch. :)

Mike
Re: Recording Snapshots? [ In reply to ]
Mike,
I can't make any complete commitments on this, but I will be ordering a
better card
soon, and I do have a spare machine collecting dust that should work well
for the job,
I could take the old tuner over to it and try and narrow down the problem.
Appears my
quick solution doesnt really do the job.. Looks like serious issues with
snapshots from
mythweb. it wants to create two sets of snaps of its own and when I attempt
to fix them
its only temporary, as soon as I access mythweb again it wants to redo the
snaps??? Right now I am using the 0.22-fixes to this day. and if memory
sets right
I didnt have the problem in 0.21 with mythweb. and I used a script found on
mythbuntu
forums for taking snaps of all my videos that didnt have covers. and in the
recordings
I just used the small video instead of snaps.but that feature has been
removed.
LoL.. I will get another card for the good machine and move older card to
the other
machine and see what happens.. There i would be more than happy to use the
trunk..
Re: Recording Snapshots? [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/2009 01:29 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
> I can't make any complete commitments on this, but I will be ordering
> a better card
> soon, and I do have a spare machine collecting dust that should work
> well for the job,
> I could take the old tuner over to it and try and narrow down the
> problem. Appears my
> quick solution doesnt really do the job.. Looks like serious issues
> with snapshots from
> mythweb. it wants to create two sets of snaps of its own and when I
> attempt to fix them
> its only temporary, as soon as I access mythweb again it wants to redo
> the
> snaps???

Yeah, you have to set the timestamps properly or MythTV (not just
MythWeb) regenerates previews.

Mike