year ago when I was trying to put the nVidia 177.82 drivers on.

At that time, the problem ended up being corrected by checking "Open DVB
on demand" in mythtv-setup. I just tried this and it had no effect. I
have version 180.44 of nVidia that came with the Mythbuntu
installation. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this back to
working? Upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps?

Thanks,
Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Harry Devine wrote:
> I just rebuilt my box due to some hardware issues. I'm running
> Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit. Any recordings that I make using the DVB
> portion of my pcHDTV 5500 card work fine (recordings or live TV), but
> the analog stations all come in as white or green snow. I had this
> problem about a year ago when I was trying to put the nVidia 177.82
> drivers on.
>
> At that time, the problem ended up being corrected by checking "Open
> DVB on demand" in mythtv-setup. I just tried this and it had no
> effect. I have version 180.44 of nVidia that came with the Mythbuntu
> installation. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this back to
> working? Upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Scratch that! 2 minutes after I hit "Send", I found a setting on the
"Recording Options" of the DVB card labeled "Use DVB card for Active EIT
scan". The description for it says "With this option enabled the DVB
card is constantly in use". I unchecked that and checked the "Open DVB
on demand" and the analog stations tune nicely now.

Sorry for the noise. Hopefully this "noise" will help someone else
though. ;-)

Harry
Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Harry Devine wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>> I just rebuilt my box due to some hardware issues. I'm running
>> Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit. Any recordings that I make using the DVB
>> portion of my pcHDTV 5500 card work fine (recordings or live TV), but
>> the analog stations all come in as white or green snow. I had this
>> problem about a year ago when I was trying to put the nVidia 177.82
>> drivers on.
>>
>> At that time, the problem ended up being corrected by checking "Open
>> DVB on demand" in mythtv-setup. I just tried this and it had no
>> effect. I have version 180.44 of nVidia that came with the Mythbuntu
>> installation. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this back to
>> working? Upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry

> Scratch that! 2 minutes after I hit "Send", I found a setting on the
> "Recording Options" of the DVB card labeled "Use DVB card for Active
> EIT scan". The description for it says "With this option enabled the
> DVB card is constantly in use". I unchecked that and checked the
> "Open DVB on demand" and the analog stations tune nicely now.
>
> Sorry for the noise. Hopefully this "noise" will help someone else
> though. ;-)
>
> Harry

Oops, looks like I spoke too soon. I had 2 recordings that I made
between last night and this afternoon that were nothing but green snow.
When I just tried to tune those stations using Live TV, I get the same
thing. They come in fine if I plug the cable directly to the TV.
What's weird is that I can tune some analog stations, namely the local
major affiliates like ABC and Fox. But others like FX or ESPN come in
as green snow.

When I try to tune one of those stations, I notice that I see the
following in the frontend log:

NVP::AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

And the backend log shows:
2009-08-14 20:48:44.986 NVR(/dev/video0): Unknown video codec. Please
go into the TV Settings, Recording Profiles and setup the four 'Software
Encoders' profiles. Assuming RTjpeg for now.
2009-08-14 20:48:44.990 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Unknown audio codec
2009-08-14 20:48:45.001 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
Space: 2.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
2009-08-14 20:48:46.612 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
eno: Input/output error (5)
2009-08-14 20:48:46.635 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Resetting and re-queueing
2009-08-14 20:48:47.500 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
eno: Input/output error (5)

Any ideas on what's going on?

Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Harry Devine wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>> Harry Devine wrote:
>>> I just rebuilt my box due to some hardware issues. I'm running
>>> Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit. Any recordings that I make using the DVB
>>> portion of my pcHDTV 5500 card work fine (recordings or live TV),
>>> but the analog stations all come in as white or green snow. I had
>>> this problem about a year ago when I was trying to put the nVidia
>>> 177.82 drivers on.
>>>
>>> At that time, the problem ended up being corrected by checking "Open
>>> DVB on demand" in mythtv-setup. I just tried this and it had no
>>> effect. I have version 180.44 of nVidia that came with the
>>> Mythbuntu installation. Any ideas on what I need to do to get this
>>> back to working? Upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry

>> Scratch that! 2 minutes after I hit "Send", I found a setting on the
>> "Recording Options" of the DVB card labeled "Use DVB card for Active
>> EIT scan". The description for it says "With this option enabled the
>> DVB card is constantly in use". I unchecked that and checked the
>> "Open DVB on demand" and the analog stations tune nicely now.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise. Hopefully this "noise" will help someone else
>> though. ;-)
>>
>> Harry
>>
> Oops, looks like I spoke too soon. I had 2 recordings that I made
> between last night and this afternoon that were nothing but green
> snow. When I just tried to tune those stations using Live TV, I get
> the same thing. They come in fine if I plug the cable directly to the
> TV. What's weird is that I can tune some analog stations, namely the
> local major affiliates like ABC and Fox. But others like FX or ESPN
> come in as green snow.
>
> When I try to tune one of those stations, I notice that I see the
> following in the frontend log:
>
> NVP::AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
>
> And the backend log shows:
> 2009-08-14 20:48:44.986 NVR(/dev/video0): Unknown video codec. Please
> go into the TV Settings, Recording Profiles and setup the four
> 'Software Encoders' profiles. Assuming RTjpeg for now.
> 2009-08-14 20:48:44.990 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Unknown audio codec
> 2009-08-14 20:48:45.001 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
> Space: 2.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
> 2009-08-14 20:48:46.612 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
> eno: Input/output error (5)
> 2009-08-14 20:48:46.635 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Resetting and re-queueing
> 2009-08-14 20:48:47.500 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
> eno: Input/output error (5)
>

> Any ideas on what's going on?
>
> Harry

So nobody has ANY ideas on this? I tried updating the nVidia video
driver (see this thread if interested:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515)
thinking that would help, and I get the same problem. Same errors,
etc. I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on the Ubuntu
forums and it makes no difference. I'd say that 90% of what I record
has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the card, and with this
problem, I can't do that. Basically, my box is almost completely
useless at this point.

I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always either
the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this case. I'd
really appreciate hearing from someone who has had similar issues and
how they got around them. Just to further troubleshoot, I did plug the
coax directly into my TV and the analog stations tuned without an issue,
so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.

Thanks,
Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Hi

On 21/08/2009, at 10:25 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89@comcast.net> wrote:

> So nobody has ANY ideas on this? I tried updating the nVidia video
> driver (see this thread if interested: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515
> ) thinking that would help, and I get the same problem. Same
> errors, etc. I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on
> the Ubuntu forums and it makes no difference. I'd say that 90% of
> what I record has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the
> card, and with this problem, I can't do that. Basically, my box is
> almost completely useless at this point.
>
> I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always
> either the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this
> case. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has had
> similar issues and how they got around them. Just to further
> troubleshoot, I did plug the coax directly into my TV and the analog
> stations tuned without an issue, so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Why would the video card driver have anything to do with a tv
Capture card?

Some weird concepts at stake here.

Have you tried changing the power cord? ;)
Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 21/08/2009, at 10:25 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89@comcast.net
> <mailto:lifter89@comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>> So nobody has ANY ideas on this? I tried updating the nVidia video
>> driver (see this thread if interested:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515)
>> thinking that would help, and I get the same problem. Same errors,
>> etc. I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on the Ubuntu
>> forums and it makes no difference. I'd say that 90% of what I record
>> has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the card, and with
>> this problem, I can't do that. Basically, my box is almost
>> completely useless at this point.
>>
>> I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always
>> either the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this
>> case. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has had similar
>> issues and how they got around them. Just to further troubleshoot, I
>> did plug the coax directly into my TV and the analog stations tuned
>> without an issue, so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry

> Why would the video card driver have anything to do with a tv
> Capture card?
>
> Some weird concepts at stake here.
>
> Have you tried changing the power cord? ;)

I agree about the video driver, but about a year or so ago, I had
similar issues, someone suggested updating the driver, I did and it
fixed it. So I thought I'd try it again. I'm running Mythbuntu 9.04.
Do you think it could be something with the v4l drivers that are
installed out of the box? How can I check them?

I didn't try changing the power cord. Why would that matter? Unless
you're joking with me about that. LOL!

Thanks,
Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 21/08/2009, at 10:25 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89@comcast.net
> <mailto:lifter89@comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>> So nobody has ANY ideas on this? I tried updating the nVidia video
>> driver (see this thread if interested:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515)
>> thinking that would help, and I get the same problem. Same errors,
>> etc. I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on the Ubuntu
>> forums and it makes no difference. I'd say that 90% of what I record
>> has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the card, and with
>> this problem, I can't do that. Basically, my box is almost
>> completely useless at this point.
>>
>> I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always
>> either the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this
>> case. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has had similar
>> issues and how they got around them. Just to further troubleshoot, I
>> did plug the coax directly into my TV and the analog stations tuned
>> without an issue, so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry

> Why would the video card driver have anything to do with a tv
> Capture card?
>
> Some weird concepts at stake here.
>
> Have you tried changing the power cord? ;)

Here's another little tidbit of information: I can tune the analog
stations in TVTime, just not in Myth.

Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 21/08/2009, at 10:25 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89@comcast.net
> <mailto:lifter89@comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>> So nobody has ANY ideas on this? I tried updating the nVidia video
>> driver (see this thread if interested:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515)
>> thinking that would help, and I get the same problem. Same errors,
>> etc. I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on the Ubuntu
>> forums and it makes no difference. I'd say that 90% of what I record
>> has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the card, and with
>> this problem, I can't do that. Basically, my box is almost
>> completely useless at this point.
>>
>> I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always
>> either the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this
>> case. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has had similar
>> issues and how they got around them. Just to further troubleshoot, I
>> did plug the coax directly into my TV and the analog stations tuned
>> without an issue, so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry

> Why would the video card driver have anything to do with a tv
> Capture card?
>
> Some weird concepts at stake here.
>
> Have you tried changing the power cord? ;)

I humored myself and switched out the power cord, and no luck. The
problem still happens. This was working on Mythbuntu 8.10, so why
wouldn't it work on 9.04? Everything I read says to check "Open DVB on
demand" on the capture card settings, but that has no effect in this case.

My Myth version is 19961. Could something be broke in this area in
9.04? Would upgrading to the weekly builds do anything? Could there be
an issue with the ivtv version (and how do I find that)?

Thanks,
Harry

Re: Snow on analog stations (SOLVED) [ In reply to ]
Harry Devine wrote:
> I humored myself and switched out the power cord, and no luck. The
> problem still happens. This was working on Mythbuntu 8.10, so why
> wouldn't it work on 9.04? Everything I read says to check "Open DVB
> on demand" on the capture card settings, but that has no effect in
> this case.
>
> My Myth version is 19961. Could something be broke in this area in
> 9.04? Would upgrading to the weekly builds do anything? Could there
> be an issue with the ivtv version (and how do I find that)?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

OK, I figured this out. I shouldn't really be admitting to this, but
if you can't laugh at yourself, what fun is it, right? When I setup
the V4L analog portion of my card, I set the frequency table to us-bcast
instead of us-cable. That simple! I was looking on the Ubuntu forums,
and they referenced the thread referenced here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/391762. That gave me
the clue I needed to solve this.

Hopefully this will help someone out in the future (probably ME whenever
I have to reinstall my box for some reason! LOL! ).

Thanks,
Harry