and MythTV would use it just fine. Now, the LCD does not start during
boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and it starts up
with the default LCDproc Serv message. However, MythTV doesn't display
anything on it anymore. I've checked the MythTV configuration and the
use LCD device is still configured. All of my LCDd.conf files and
startup scripts are intact. dmesg and /var/log/messages doesn't show
any clues. Why won't the LCD start at boot and why won't MythTV use the
LCD anymore?

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
On Jul 3, 2009, at 9:06 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm using mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes and got my iMON LCD device working
> last month. I just installed the kernel update from the mythbuntu
> updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore. I did recreate
> the
> symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories for lirc_dev and
> lirc_imon. (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to 2.6.27-14-generic)

Uh... What?

> Before the update, the LCD display would start during the boot process
> and MythTV would use it just fine. Now, the LCD does not start during
> boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and it
> starts up
> with the default LCDproc Serv message. However, MythTV doesn't
> display
> anything on it anymore. I've checked the MythTV configuration and the
> use LCD device is still configured. All of my LCDd.conf files and
> startup scripts are intact. dmesg and /var/log/messages doesn't show
> any clues. Why won't the LCD start at boot and why won't MythTV use
> the
> LCD anymore?

Did you by chance get an lcdproc update too? 0.5.3 was just released,
and only works correctly with trunk or rather recent 0.21 svn fixes.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
> last month.  I just installed the kernel update from
> the mythbuntu
> updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore.  I
> did recreate the
> symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories for
> lirc_dev and
> lirc_imon.  (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to
> 2.6.27-14-generic)
>
> Before the update, the LCD display would start during the
> boot process
> and MythTV would use it just fine.  Now, the LCD does
> not start during
> boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and
> it starts up
> with the default LCDproc Serv message.  However,
> MythTV doesn't display
> anything on it anymore.  I've checked the MythTV
> configuration and the
> use LCD device is still configured.  All of my
> LCDd.conf files and
> startup scripts are intact.   dmesg and
> /var/log/messages doesn't show
> any clues.  Why won't the LCD start at boot and why
> won't MythTV use the
> LCD anymore?

The only error I can find is in the ~/.xsession-errors file:

** Message: Xkb extension found
** Message: another SSH agent is running at: /tmp/ssh-uinmTY6743/agent.6743
Invalid argument: -session
Valid options are:
-p or --port number A port number to listen on (default is 6545)
-d or --daemon Runs lcd server as a daemon
-n or --nodaemon Does not run lcd server as a daemon (default)
-m or --startupmessage Message to show at startup
-t or --messagetime How long to show startup message (default 30 seconds)
-l or --logfile filename Writes STDERR and STDOUT messages to filename
-v or --verbose debug-level Use '-v help' for level info
-x or --debuglevel level Control how much debug messages to show
[number between 0 and 10] (default 0)
Please note: additional command line arguments will not be passed
to mythfrontend when using --service

This error comes from /usr/bin/mythlcdserver. I suspect that the invalid command is comming from the xfce4 session cache (~/.cache/sessions). ps shows that /usr/bin/mythlcdserver is indeed running. A Wireshark capture during mythfronted startup confirms that mythfrontend is connecting to mythlcdserver on port 6545 and chit chatting successfully. It also confirms that noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on port 13666. I can mannually run the lcd_proc client and it connects to the LCD_proc server and displays the system status on the LCD. I kill that and the default LCD_proc Server output is displayed on the LCD. I no longer get the system clock displayed or MythTV output. I think the problem is with Myth or xfce4. I'm in way over my head with this one.

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]

> > I'm using mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes and got my iMON LCD device working
> > last month. I just installed the kernel update from the mythbuntu
> > updates and the LCD isn't working properly anymore. I did recreate
> > the
> > symbolic links in the /lib/modules/... directories for lirc_dev and
> > lirc_imon. (updated from 2.6.27-14-generic to 2.6.27-14-generic)

Uh... What?

> > Before the update, the LCD display would start during the boot process
> > and MythTV would use it just fine. Now, the LCD does not start during
> > boot, but I can manually do "sudo service LCDd restart" and it
> > starts up
> > with the default LCDproc Serv message. However, MythTV doesn't
> > display
> > anything on it anymore. I've checked the MythTV configuration and the
> > use LCD device is still configured. All of my LCDd.conf files and
> > startup scripts are intact. dmesg and /var/log/messages doesn't show
> > any clues. Why won't the LCD start at boot and why won't MythTV use
> > the
> > LCD anymore?

Did you by chance get an lcdproc update too? 0.5.3 was just released,
and only works correctly with trunk or rather recent 0.21 svn fixes.

-- Jarod Wilson jarod@wilsonet.com Yes, that was not a typo. The updated
kernel image had the same version as the one I was currently running. I
thought that very odd too. I checked the notes before updating and it
didn't mention anything about the new lcdproc. It only mentioned some
things about NFS and CIFS changes, which I'm not using. I also don't
think it has anything to do with lcdproc, since I can get the LCD
display to work, just not with MythTV anymore. I am still running my
patched version of lcdproc and lirc. I know because I had to reinstall
them after the kernel "update". Befpre reinstalling them, the LCD
display didn't work at all, which was expected since the kernel doesn't
support it.

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> passed
>   to mythfrontend when using --service
>
> This error comes from /usr/bin/mythlcdserver.  I
> suspect that the invalid command is comming from the xfce4
> session cache (~/.cache/sessions).  ps shows that
> /usr/bin/mythlcdserver is indeed running.  A Wireshark
> capture during mythfronted startup confirms that
> mythfrontend is connecting to mythlcdserver on port 6545 and
> chit chatting successfully.  It also confirms that
> noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on port
> 13666.  I can mannually run the lcd_proc client and it
> connects to the LCD_proc server and displays the system
> status on the LCD.  I kill that and the default
> LCD_proc Server output is displayed on the LCD.  I no
> longer get the system clock displayed or MythTV
> output.  I think the problem is with Myth or
> xfce4.  I'm in way over my head with this one.

I can report some success in resolving this. I exited mythfrontend and then killed mythlcdserver. I then restarted mythlcdserver and the system time again appeared on the LCD display. I restarted mythfrontend and the MythTV information is again displayed on the LCD display. My theory is that mythlcdserver only attempts to connect to LCDd (lcd_proc) when it starts, which this exercise seems to confirm.

So why does LCDd no longer start at boot time? I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0. I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev, lirc_imon). So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd will fail. I suspect that this is what is happening. How do I make lircd start before LCDd?

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
On Monday 06 July 2009 10:10:19 Jay Foster wrote:

> [...]
> > noone attempts to connect to LCD_proc server on port
> > 13666. I can mannually run the lcd_proc client and it
> > connects to the LCD_proc server and displays the system
> > status on the LCD. I kill that and the default
> > LCD_proc Server output is displayed on the LCD. I no
> > longer get the system clock displayed or MythTV
> > output. I think the problem is with Myth or
> > xfce4. I'm in way over my head with this one.
> >
> I can report some success in resolving this. I exited mythfrontend and then killed mythlcdserver. I then restarted mythlcdserver and the system time again appeared on the LCD display. I restarted mythfrontend and the MythTV information is again displayed on the LCD display. My theory is that mythlcdserver only attempts to connect to LCDd (lcd_proc) when it starts, which this exercise seems to confirm.
>
> So why does LCDd no longer start at boot time?

No clue, but yeah, that would appear to be your primary problem. Is its
initscript actually set to run at boot time?

> I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0.

Correct.

> I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev, lirc_imon). So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd will fail. I suspect that this is what is happening. How do I make lircd start before LCDd?

Incorrect. /dev/lcd0 is created when the lirc_imon module loads, not
when lircd starts. lirc_imon should be loaded up after udev or whatever
pokes through your system devices looking for drivers to load up. lircd
starts after the module is loaded. LCDd isn't dependent on lircd having
started up already, its only dependent on lirc_imon having been loaded.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com
Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> No clue, but yeah, that would appear to be your primary
> problem. Is its
> initscript actually set to run at boot time?
>
> > I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0.
>
> Correct.
>
> > I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev,
> lirc_imon).  So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd
> will fail.  I suspect that this is what is
> happening.  How do I make lircd start before LCDd?
>
> Incorrect. /dev/lcd0 is created when the lirc_imon module
> loads, not
> when lircd starts. lirc_imon should be loaded up after udev
> or whatever
> pokes through your system devices looking for drivers to
> load up. lircd
> starts after the module is loaded. LCDd isn't dependent on
> lircd having
> started up already, its only dependent on lirc_imon having

dmesg shows that lirc_dev and lirc_imon are getting loaded just fine (and if I manually start LCDd, it works). Yes, my LCDd is configured to start. That was the first thing I checked.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1205 2009-06-02 09:08 /etc/init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc0.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:06 /etc/rc1.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc2.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc3.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc4.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc5.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc6.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd

Yes, LCDd is configured to start BEFORE mythtv-backend. My problem isn't that LCDd is starting at the wrong time, but that it isn't (apparently) starting at all on boot. I can manually start it with no problems.

Jay

Re: LCD doesn't work after kernel update [ In reply to ]
On Monday 06 July 2009 21:33:58 Jay Foster wrote:
> > > I can report some success in resolving this. I
> > exited mythfrontend and then killed mythlcdserver. I
> > then restarted mythlcdserver and the system time again
> > appeared on the LCD display. I restarted mythfrontend
> > and the MythTV information is again displayed on the LCD
> > display. My theory is that mythlcdserver only attempts
> > to connect to LCDd (lcd_proc) when it starts, which this
> > exercise seems to confirm.
> > >
> > > So why does LCDd no longer start at boot time?
> >
> > No clue, but yeah, that would appear to be your primary
> > problem. Is its
> > initscript actually set to run at boot time?
> >
> > > I know that LCDd depends on /dev/lcd0.
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > > I think /dev/lcd0 is created by lircd (lirc_dev,
> > lirc_imon). So lircd MUST start before LCDd or LCDd
> > will fail. I suspect that this is what is
> > happening. How do I make lircd start before LCDd?
> >
> > Incorrect. /dev/lcd0 is created when the lirc_imon module
> > loads, not
> > when lircd starts. lirc_imon should be loaded up after udev
> > or whatever
> > pokes through your system devices looking for drivers to
> > load up. lircd
> > starts after the module is loaded. LCDd isn't dependent on
> > lircd having
> > started up already, its only dependent on lirc_imon having
> > been loaded.
> >

> dmesg shows that lirc_dev and lirc_imon are getting loaded just fine (and if I manually start LCDd, it works). Yes, my LCDd is configured to start. That was the first thing I checked.
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1205 2009-06-02 09:08 /etc/init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc0.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:06 /etc/rc1.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc2.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc3.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc4.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-03 17:29 /etc/rc5.d/S20LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-07-06 18:05 /etc/rc6.d/K80LCDd -> ../init.d/LCDd
>
> Yes, LCDd is configured to start BEFORE mythtv-backend. My problem isn't that LCDd is starting at the wrong time, but that it isn't (apparently) starting at all on boot. I can manually start it with no problems.

All I can suggest is 'chkconfig LCDd off; chkconfig LCDd on', to see if
maybe something is screwy with the init scripts setup (doesn't look
like that's the case), and then add some spew to the LCDd init script
so it outputs some info on what its doing (or not doing) at boot time.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com