Mailing List Archive

Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1
I am running Mythbuntu 8.10 on a quad core Pc with a selection of
hauppauge tuners. Recording side has been working well, but I have had
major problems with digital reception and currently have had to upgrade
to a huge rooftop aerial, (live in Mansfield in a dip) and still not
sorted, however that is a problem I am pursuing elsewhere. My problem is
Virgin1. I know this has moved to 24hr and I needed to retune, and I
have rescanned my box twice. I can pick up virgin1 with program data but
it does not correspond to what is being recorded. Virgin 1+1 only has a
message advising me to retune and virgin 1 has channel data and I can
record from it, but everything is one hour out. How do I get the channel
data displayed to correspond to the signal being received.

I summary Virgin1 has channel data but no signal. Virgin1+1 has the
signal but no channel data, but the signal is 1 hour behind the data
displayed for virgin1.

I have tried swapping the channel Ids in setup but that just reversed
the current situation. All my TVs etc have retuned fine, this is just a
mythbox problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
> I summary Virgin1 has channel data but no signal. Virgin1+1 has the
> signal but no channel data, but the signal is 1 hour behind the data
> displayed for virgin1.
>
> I have tried swapping the channel Ids in setup but that just reversed
> the current situation. All my TVs etc have retuned fine, this is just a
> mythbox problem.

As someone else has suggested delete the channels.

I would delete all the channels and rescan.

Several channels have changed number which may have not been picked up
(e.g. Fiver/Five USA are channels 30/31) and I believe other channels
have changed multiplex/number my list was well out of date.

Do not forget if you use the RT grabber you will need to setup the
XMLTV IDs again however.

Also do not forget V1+1 is only shown 18:00-06:00 only V1 is 24 hours.
Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]

> > In summary Virgin1 has channel data but no signal. Virgin1+1 has the
> > signal but no channel data, but the signal is 1 hour behind the data
> > displayed for virgin1.
> >
> > I have tried swapping the channel Ids in setup but that just reversed
> > the current situation. All my TVs etc have retuned fine, this is just a
> > mythbox problem.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > Thanks

> delete the 2 channels (using mythweb) then retune

Thanks, I have done that but nothing was detected. I have manually
installed Virgin 1 with XMLTVID '1.virginmedia.com' to channel 20 and
Virgin 1+1 with XMLTVID tsod.plus-1.freeview.1.virginmedia.com which I
found at http://www.nabble.com/How-do-I-setup-Virgin1%
2B1-With-Limit-Hours-Of-18%3A00-06%3A00-(RT-UK-grabber)--td23640330.html

So far there is no data on Virgin1 and only data from 6pm-12pm on 1+1.
Retuning a station should not be this difficult.

Do I wait for mythfilldatabase to gradually populate the listings or is
there an error

thanks

John

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
2009/5/23 John Williamson <tyringham@gmail.com>:

>> > In summary Virgin1 has channel data but no signal. Virgin1+1 has the
>> > signal but no channel data, but the signal is 1 hour behind the data
>> > displayed for virgin1.
>> >
>> > I have tried swapping the channel Ids in setup but that just reversed
>> > the current situation. All my TVs etc have retuned fine, this is just a
>> > mythbox problem.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >

>> > Thanks
>
>> delete the 2 channels (using mythweb) then retune

> Thanks, I have done that but nothing was detected. I have manually
> installed Virgin 1 with XMLTVID '1.virginmedia.com' to channel 20 and
> Virgin 1+1 with XMLTVID tsod.plus-1.freeview.1.virginmedia.com which I
> found at http://www.nabble.com/How-do-I-setup-Virgin1%
> 2B1-With-Limit-Hours-Of-18%3A00-06%3A00-(RT-UK-grabber)--td23640330.html
>
> So far there is no data on Virgin1 and only data from 6pm-12pm on 1+1.
> Retuning a station should not be this difficult.
>
> Do I wait for mythfilldatabase to gradually populate the listings or is
> there an error
>
> thanks
>

> John

Eh?

The channel is not detected on a scan?

I suspect there's your problem.

When you do the new scan are you scanning existing transports?

Can you give some info regarding your setup
Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 13:05 +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:

> >> delete the 2 channels (using mythweb) then retune

> > Thanks, I have done that but nothing was detected. I have manually
> > installed Virgin 1 with XMLTVID '1.virginmedia.com' to channel 20 and
> > Virgin 1+1 with XMLTVID tsod.plus-1.freeview.1.virginmedia.com which I
> > found at http://www.nabble.com/How-do-I-setup-Virgin1%
> > 2B1-With-Limit-Hours-Of-18%3A00-06%3A00-(RT-UK-grabber)--td23640330.html
> >
> > So far there is no data on Virgin1 and only data from 6pm-12pm on 1+1.
> > Retuning a station should not be this difficult.
> >
> > Do I wait for mythfilldatabase to gradually populate the listings or is
> > there an error
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > John

> Eh?
>
> The channel is not detected on a scan?
>
> I suspect there's your problem.
>
> When you do the new scan are you scanning existing transports?
>
> Can you give some info regarding your setup

However it is detected by all the other TVs in the house. When I scan I
am doing a Full scan.

Have just deleted the 2 channels and rescanned. Now have virgin1+1 with
data from 6pm to 12pm. However when I try to watch it, it displays as
Virgin1 with a message to retune after 20/5/09 for Virgin1 all day. My
details below.

Setup extract from lshw

product: P5N7A-VM
vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
physical id: 0
version: Rev 1.xx
*-firmware
vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
physical id: 0
version: 0504 (01/22/2009)
size: 64KiB
*-cpu
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
slot: Socket 775
2Gb Ram
*-pci
product: MCP79 Host Bridge
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 100
*-multimedia
product: MCP79 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:00:08.0
version: b1
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 maxlatency=5
mingnt=2 module=snd_hda_intel
*-disk
product: SAMSUNG HD103UJ
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 1AA0
size: 931GiB (1TB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000d51a9
*-volume:0
vendor: Linux
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
*-pci:1
product: MCP79 PCI Express Bridge
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: c
bus info: pci@0000:00:0c.0
version: b1
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-multimedia
product: CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder
vendor: Conexant Systems, Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress pm vpd msi bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=cx23885 latency=0 module=cx23885
*-pci:2
product: MCP79 PCI Express Bridge
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 10
bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
version: b1
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci pm msi bus_master cap_list
*-display
product: GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: b1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 module=nvidia

1 PCI Hauppauge Nova T 500 dual Tuner

1 USB Hauppauge USB nova T stick Tuner

2 x Hauppauge HVR 1700 PCIe Tuners

Connects via HDMI to HDTV

Nearest transmitter - Belmont - not sure where to find QAM data on
system

John

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]

Forgot to add - using Mythbuntu 8.10

John

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
2009/5/23 John Williamson <tyringham@gmail.com>:

>> However it is detected by all the other TVs in the house. When I scan I
>> am doing a Full scan.
>>
>> Have just deleted the 2 channels and rescanned. Now have virgin1+1 with
>> data from 6pm to 12pm. However when I try to watch it, it displays as
>> Virgin1 with a message to retune after 20/5/09 for Virgin1 all day. My
>> details below.
>>
>> Setup extract from lshw

>>        product: P5N7A-VM
>>        vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
>>        physical id: 0
>>        version: Rev 1.xx
>>   driver=pcieport-driver
>>            *-multimedia
>>                 product: CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder
>>                 vendor: Conexant Systems, Inc.
>>                 physical id: 0
>>                 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
>>                 version: 02
>>                 width: 64 bits
>>                 clock: 33MHz
>>                 capabilities: pciexpress pm vpd msi bus_master cap_list
>>                 configuration: driver=cx23885 latency=0 module=cx23885
>>         *-pci:2
>>              product: MCP79 PCI Express Bridge
>>              vendor: nVidia Corporation
>>              physical id: 10
>>              bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
>>              version: b1
>>              width: 32 bits
>>              clock: 33MHz
>>              capabilities: pci pm msi bus_master cap_list
>>            *-display
>>                 product: GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i
>>                 vendor: nVidia Corporation
>>                 physical id: 0
>>                 bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
>>                 version: b1
>>                 width: 64 bits
>>                 clock: 33MHz
>>                 capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
>>                 configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 module=nvidia
>>
>> 1 PCI                 Hauppauge Nova T 500 dual Tuner
>>
>> 1 USB                 Hauppauge USB nova T stick Tuner
>>
>> 2 x           Hauppauge HVR 1700 PCIe Tuners
>>
>> Connects via HDMI to HDTV
>>
>> Nearest transmitter - Belmont - not sure where to find QAM data on
>> system
>>

>> John

> Forgot to add - using Mythbuntu 8.10
>

> John

OK So it's a combined FE/BE?

It sounds to me like the channel isn't getting deleted properly before
the rescan....

Try this please (take offline any other FE's before doing this).

Go into mythweb (I'm assuming your running it? If not I'll come up
with a different plan!!)

In mythweb --> Choose mythtv (on the top banner menu, extreme left)
--> Settings --> Channel Info

you should now get a detailed line option for each channel

delete is the selection button on the extreme left of each line

(On a separate note you can change channel numbers and whether they're
visible or not in here very easily - I've removed ALL the garbage
channels and renumbered quite a few.....but for now just delete the
Virgin ones, Fiver and Five US).

Delete all the channels you want to rescan.

When done click the Save button at the very bottom of the page - Then
wait for the page to refresh (that's when the mysql db has been
updated)

In a terminal session as the default user who set the system up run
mythfilldatabase......wait for this to finish

in a root terminal session stop the mythbackend service

In the terminal session as the default user who set up the system run
the setup program (it's mythtv-setup on mine....may be slightly
different on yours)

Go into Channel Editor

Go Into Channel Scanner

Rescan the Existing Transports

Wait for it to finish.......and then exit

In the terminal session as root start the mythbackend service

In the terminal session as the default user run
mythfilldatabase.....wait for it to finish

Then Report Back Please
Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 17:48 +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:
> 2009/5/23 John Williamson <tyringham@gmail.com>:
> >
> >> However it is detected by all the other TVs in the house. When I scan I
> >> am doing a Full scan.
> >>
> >> Have just deleted the 2 channels and rescanned. Now have virgin1+1 with
> >> data from 6pm to 12pm. However when I try to watch it, it displays as
> >> Virgin1 with a message to retune after 20/5/09 for Virgin1 all day. My
> >> details below.
> >>
> >> Setup extract from lshw

> >> product: P5N7A-VM
> >> vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
> >> physical id: 0
> >> version: Rev 1.xx
> >> driver=pcieport-driver
> >> *-multimedia
> >> product: CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder
> >> vendor: Conexant Systems, Inc.
> >> physical id: 0
> >> bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
> >> version: 02
> >> width: 64 bits
> >> clock: 33MHz
> >> capabilities: pciexpress pm vpd msi bus_master cap_list
> >> configuration: driver=cx23885 latency=0 module=cx23885
> >> *-pci:2
> >> product: MCP79 PCI Express Bridge
> >> vendor: nVidia Corporation
> >> physical id: 10
> >> bus info: pci@0000:00:10.0
> >> version: b1
> >> width: 32 bits
> >> clock: 33MHz
> >> capabilities: pci pm msi bus_master cap_list
> >> *-display
> >> product: GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i
> >> vendor: nVidia Corporation
> >> physical id: 0
> >> bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
> >> version: b1
> >> width: 64 bits
> >> clock: 33MHz
> >> capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
> >> configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 module=nvidia
> >>
> >> 1 PCI Hauppauge Nova T 500 dual Tuner
> >>
> >> 1 USB Hauppauge USB nova T stick Tuner
> >>
> >> 2 x Hauppauge HVR 1700 PCIe Tuners
> >>
> >> Connects via HDMI to HDTV
> >>
> >> Nearest transmitter - Belmont - not sure where to find QAM data on
> >> system
> >>

> >> John

> > Forgot to add - using Mythbuntu 8.10
> >

> > John

> OK So it's a combined FE/BE?

Yes

> It sounds to me like the channel isn't getting deleted properly before
> the rescan....
>
> Try this please (take offline any other FE's before doing this).
>
> Go into mythweb (I'm assuming your running it? If not I'll come up
> with a different plan!!)
>
> In mythweb --> Choose mythtv (on the top banner menu, extreme left)
> --> Settings --> Channel Info
>
> you should now get a detailed line option for each channel
>
> delete is the selection button on the extreme left of each line
>
> (On a separate note you can change channel numbers and whether they're
> visible or not in here very easily - I've removed ALL the garbage
> channels and renumbered quite a few.....but for now just delete the
> Virgin ones, Fiver and Five US).
>
> Delete all the channels you want to rescan.

That's what I've been doing to date

> When done click the Save button at the very bottom of the page - Then
> wait for the page to refresh (that's when the mysql db has been
> updated)

Done that too

> In a terminal session as the default user who set the system up run
> mythfilldatabase......wait for this to finish

Not done this before, just gone straight to scanning channels upto now

> in a root terminal session stop the mythbackend service
>
> In the terminal session as the default user who set up the system run
> the setup program (it's mythtv-setup on mine....may be slightly
> different on yours)
>
> Go into Channel Editor
>
> Go Into Channel Scanner
>
> Rescan the Existing Transports
>
> Wait for it to finish.......and then exit
>
> In the terminal session as root start the mythbackend service

Done that each time up to now

> In the terminal session as the default user run
> mythfilldatabase.....wait for it to finish

Done that up to now but as root

This time done as user

Virgin1 and Virgin1+1 have appeared with full data

Thank you

John Williamson

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
I think the final issue was probably that I wasn't running the grabber
updates as the mythtv user so the data files were not being created in
the correct location.

Once again, Thanks

John

Re: Virgin1 moving to virgin1+1 [ In reply to ]
2009/5/24 John Williamson <tyringham@gmail.com>:
> I think the final issue was probably that I wasn't running the grabber
> updates as the mythtv user so the data files were not being created in
> the correct location.
>

> Once again, Thanks
>

> John

Glad it's fixed it......

I think there's two issues possibly.....

1. Until you run mythfilldatabase after deleting the channels the DB
doesn't 'flush' the existing data or the cache, then when you recreate
the channels it gets the populate data from either the DB or the cache
and doesn't pull it correctly.

2. The channel delete doesn't really happen at all as far as the DB
is concerned until mythfilldatabase is run.

Either way that's where I think the problem is sitting.

I have a combi Freeview and Freesat setup and mythfilldatabase takes
over 3 minutes to run on my BE, and that's with hundreds of channels
not active in the DB.