detction at show record start (or even live tv) to see
if any input is coming though and if not have an
external command send the power toggle IR to the cable
box. (Unfortunately there is also no discrete power
on for these boxes. What are these engineers thinking
anyway?)

Anyone else have this problem?

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Re: Suggestion for a feature [ In reply to ]
Are you using a serial connection or IR to control the external channel
change? I use IR and mine doesn't shut off unless I lose power, and a UPS
fixed that.

James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@jameswhite.org Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
-Jack Handy

Re:Suggestion for a feature [ In reply to ]
>Are you using a serial connection or IR to control
the external >channel
>change? I use IR and mine doesn't shut off unless I
lose >power, and a UPS
>fxed that.

Not sure that you've used an Explorer, but they are IR
only. I've gone through 4 explorers, 6 technicians, a
complete rewire, and a 'hub boost'. Check out the
ReplayTV forum at AVSForum, search for explorer...I'm
not alone.

People have actually built devices that use light
detectors to tell when the boxes have turned
off(rebooted), that then send the ir signal to turn it
back on.

Albeit, it's not really the boxes themselves, but the
signal that causes it, but still, how hard would it
have been for them to have a setting in the explorer
that would turn itself back on after a reboot. The
things can already turn back on for a recording.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Re: Re:Suggestion for a feature [ In reply to ]
> Not sure that you've used an Explorer, but they are IR
> only.
There's one plugged into the s-video in on my pvr-250 right now.
I wasn't sure if you had found some arcane way of using the data port, USB,
or Ethernet to control it. I was interested if such a thing existed, I use
a redrat.

> I've gone through 4 explorers, 6 technicians, a
> complete rewire, and a 'hub boost'. Check out the
> ReplayTV forum at AVSForum, search for explorer...I'm
> not alone.

I guess I'm really lucky, sorry about your problems.
I have had mine lock up a couple times (usually takes about three months
between reboots) But not power off. Is it your guess that your provider is
powering the box off?