Mailing List Archive

Separate Libraries in MythMusic
With iTunes' ongoing abandonment of music DRM, my wife has "upgraded"
her music collection and now, sadly, wants to befoul my mythTV device
with her unholy mess of Cher, Kelly Clarkson, the Bay City Rollers,
and even others whose names I dare not mention.

Having a substantial, and all-quality collection of my own (I swear,
that Whitney Houston is not mine) I would prefer to be able to manage
things as two independent music libraries within MythMusic, but
googling suggests that this is not a feature available to me. I also
considered creating separate "monster" playlists; one consisting of
all my music, and one consisting of hers - but there will be some
management grief as each of us purchase more music as time goes on.

I've got some crafted playlists, and that deals with things to a
point, but I'm not crazy about having to rely on it. I like the
"smart playlists", but I gotta say, what I bought in the 90s and what
she bought in the 90s...well, no one should have to transition from
Nirvana to Mariah Carey unprepared.

Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have had
to deal with. What solutions did you employ, and how is that working
out for you?

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
-- Thomas Paine
Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
While my wife and I have similar tastes in music, where we've run into
conflicts is with the rating of said music. She had gone in and "10 stared"
a few songs that I would have given more of a 4 star at best. That, of
course, made the smart randomizer play those songs a bit more frequently.

I can't think of a good way to manage two different databases (short of
having different file space for both) even if Myth supported it... then, of
course, you have the problem of how to handle the overlap.

Anyway, I've rambled enough without adding anything useful to the
conversation :)

http://jacob.steenhagen.us
Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Jan 29, 2009, at 7:41 AM, C.T. Paterson wrote:

> Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have had
> to deal with. What solutions did you employ, and how is that working
> out for you?

What you're really asking for is multi-user support in MythTV which
does not exist but has been a feature request for quite a while now.
Work was started on it, but they gave up on it and now the code is
VERY out of date. It can be found here: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/multiuser
The unfortunate answer is to revive the code, update and finish it (or
start over from scratch) or wait for someone else to do it.

I've started using Boxee which accommodates multiple users.

-Brad

Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
2009/1/29 Brad DerManouelian <myth@dermanouelian.com>:
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 7:41 AM, C.T. Paterson wrote:
>
>> Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have had
>> to deal with. What solutions did you employ, and how is that working
>> out for you?
>
> What you're really asking for is multi-user support in MythTV which does not
> exist but has been a feature request for quite a while now. Work was started
> on it, but they gave up on it and now the code is VERY out of date. It can
> be found here: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/multiuser
> The unfortunate answer is to revive the code, update and finish it (or start
> over from scratch) or wait for someone else to do it.
>
> I've started using Boxee which accommodates multiple users.

Well, multi-user might well give me what I need...but strictly
speaking, I would be asking for multi-library -- which, I think, would
imply much less work.

I've got radio shows, documentaries, speaches, and audio books which
also could benefit from their own libraries - but every playback
program I've ever encountered just assumes that audio == music; so its
an annoyance I've learned to live with.

For the moment, though, I'm just seeking workarounds.

Cheers.

Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Jan 29, 2009, at 8:37 AM, C.T. Paterson wrote:

> 2009/1/29 Brad DerManouelian <myth@dermanouelian.com>:
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 7:41 AM, C.T. Paterson wrote:
>>
>>> Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have
>>> had
>>> to deal with. What solutions did you employ, and how is that
>>> working
>>> out for you?
>>
>> What you're really asking for is multi-user support in MythTV which
>> does not
>> exist but has been a feature request for quite a while now. Work
>> was started
>> on it, but they gave up on it and now the code is VERY out of date.
>> It can
>> be found here: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/multiuser
>> The unfortunate answer is to revive the code, update and finish it
>> (or start
>> over from scratch) or wait for someone else to do it.
>>
>> I've started using Boxee which accommodates multiple users.
>
> Well, multi-user might well give me what I need...but strictly
> speaking, I would be asking for multi-library -- which, I think, would
> imply much less work.
>
> I've got radio shows, documentaries, speaches, and audio books which
> also could benefit from their own libraries - but every playback
> program I've ever encountered just assumes that audio == music; so its
> an annoyance I've learned to live with.
>
> For the moment, though, I'm just seeking workarounds.

For a work-around, organize your "libraries" into separate folders and
tell MythMusic to follow your folder structure so you have complete
control where things appear in your library.

-Brad

Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:37 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64@gmail.com>wrote:

> For the moment, though, I'm just seeking workarounds.

What I did was to use genre (as I generally find it worthless). So my stuff
gets tagged with genre "Steve" and my wife's stuff gets tagged with her
name. With genre first in the tree hierarchy it makes MythMusic work the way
you want to it, I think.

Regards,
Steve
Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
2009/1/29 Brad DerManouelian <myth@dermanouelian.com>:
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 8:37 AM, C.T. Paterson wrote:
>
>> For the moment, though, I'm just seeking workarounds.
>
> For a work-around, organize your "libraries" into separate folders and tell
> MythMusic to follow your folder structure so you have complete control where
> things appear in your library.

Thanks, Brad - I might just try this out.

For the benefit of others; follow the menus Utilities/Setup -> Setup
-> Media Settings -> Music Settings ->General Settings. On the second
page of settings, I changed the value for "Tree Sorting" to
"directory".

Keep any other ideas coming, though, folks - choices are always good.

Thanks very much.

Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
It would be nice if mythmusic allowed you to choose the sorting list on the
fly rather than through the settings.

i.e. the first level of the structure would be

+ album
+ artist
+ directory
+ genre
+ playlist
+ tag (plus feature in the interface to add tags to albums, artists,
directories and genres)

And then list the entire music collection (alpha sorted/grouped) under each
heading.

I don't expect it would be a lot of work to implement this but I am no C
programmer...

Cheers

Phil
Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:41 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64@gmail.com> wrote:

> Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have had
> to deal with. What solutions did you employ,

divorce

> and how is that working
> out for you?

very nicely thanks :)
Re: Separate Libraries in MythMusic [ In reply to ]
Nick
Have you considered adding these less obvious benefits of MythTV to the wiki?
:)
David

> Surely, this is a problem that some other folks on this list have had
> to deal with. What solutions did you employ,

divorce

> and how is that working
> out for you?

very nicely thanks :)