Mailing List Archive

VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes
Dear all.

http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv-vdpau/

This patch adds VDPAU support to Mythtv 0.21-fixes. There are no
guarantees other than it "works for me".

A great thank to the MythTV development team for this great product
and in particular Mark Kendall without whom those patches wouldn't
exist.

This set of patches also includes the OpenGL optimisations and fixes
written by Mark Kendall which can be found there:
http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/fixes-patches/
I have been using his OpenGL patches for months without any problems.

If using Ubuntu, you can get automatically mythtv and mplayer with
VDPAU support by using this repository:
http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/
Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/

Then simply run an update in synaptic.

For others, those patches should apply cleanly to 0.21-fixes/mythtv
branch (revision #19823 as of time of writing). You must use the
nVidia drivers version 180.22 and above.

Please do not bother the various mythtv mailing lists, and do not
lodge bugs in the mythtv TRAC system. You're on your own here.

All the best
Jean-Yves Avenard
jean-yves@avenard.org
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
> Dear all.
>
> http://www.avenard.org/files/mythtv-vdpau/
>
> This patch adds VDPAU support to Mythtv 0.21-fixes. There
> are no guarantees other than it "works for me".

Woot! Thanks Jean-Yves - there goes my weekend :) Have been
testing trunk and its great, shall be fascinating to try
this with .21

Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> says:
> This patch adds VDPAU support to Mythtv 0.21-fixes. There are no
> guarantees other than it "works for me".

Fantastic! I wasn't going to spring for a VDPAU-compatible card until
0.22 shipped, but now it looks like I'm going to have to.

> Please do not bother the various mythtv mailing lists, and do not
> lodge bugs in the mythtv TRAC system. You're on your own here.

mythtv-dev is out, a Wiki mention is unwise (at least without abundant
and prominent disclaimers), and as you say we shouldn't file random
tickets regarding your patch. There's nothing stopping us from
discussing it (within reason) on mythtv-users, though. Also, you
should go ahead and create a ticket with your patch; many an
otherwise-unsupported and -unofficial piece of code is found on
Trac--John Poet's program ID-fudger is one recently-mentioned
example--and it's a better place than your own Website for you and us
to track updates to it.

--
Frontend: P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend: Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
2009/1/27 Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com>:
> Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> says:
>> This patch adds VDPAU support to Mythtv 0.21-fixes. There are no
>> guarantees other than it "works for me".
>
> Fantastic! I wasn't going to spring for a VDPAU-compatible card until
> 0.22 shipped, but now it looks like I'm going to have to.

Jean-Yves is forcing me too to buy a VDPAU-compatible card... Report
which one did you get :)
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com>:
> Fantastic! I wasn't going to spring for a VDPAU-compatible card until
> 0.22 shipped, but now it looks like I'm going to have to.

VDPAU is definitely worth it... I do not need VDPAU as all my PCs have
sufficient grunt to play any kind of HD files... However, VDPAU does a
fantastic job at de-interlacing, much than any of the other
de-interlacer I've tried (xv, opengl etc)...

It's almost perfect... Almost as good as the build-in de-interlacer of
my Sony LCD Bravia...

I've had best result with the de-interlacer Advanced (1X, HW) on both
9400GT and 8600GT

> mythtv-dev is out, a Wiki mention is unwise (at least without abundant
> and prominent disclaimers), and as you say we shouldn't file random
> tickets regarding your patch. There's nothing stopping us from
> discussing it (within reason) on mythtv-users, though. Also, you
> should go ahead and create a ticket with your patch; many an
> otherwise-unsupported and -unofficial piece of code is found on
> Trac--John Poet's program ID-fudger is one recently-mentioned
> example--and it's a better place than your own Website for you and us
> to track updates to it.

Thanks for the head up..

I created a ticket:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182

Cheers
Jean-Yves
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>:
> I created a ticket:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182

Oh well, didn't take long:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182#comment:1

Already closed ...
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
> Oh well, didn't take long:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182#comment:1
>
> Already closed ...

I wonder what the reason was for closing it? And locking it, without
saying anything? This looks like a good piece of work that quite a few
people could find really helpful to allow them to use VDPAU while
waiting for trunk to stabilise.

Robin
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Robin Neatherway <robthebob@gmail.com>:
> I wonder what the reason was for closing it? And locking it, without
> saying anything? This looks like a good piece of work that quite a few
> people could find really helpful to allow them to use VDPAU while
> waiting for trunk to stabilise.

Just show how controlling some are ...

I wonder why bother having mythtv open-source when providing patches
is so frown upon...

Unfortunately, 0.22 is nowhere near ready, and VDPAU is a huge improvement...
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 04:20:27 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> If using Ubuntu, you can get automatically mythtv and mplayer with
> VDPAU support by using this repository:
> http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/
> Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/

Installed via your repo, and working well, with one (possible) issue. It
pulled in a library - nvidia-180-libvdpau which seemed to install nvidia
180.25 libs, it badly broke my 180.22 install. Once I upgraded to 180.25 all
was ok.
--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Not an expert on this side of thing - I have just setup a VDPAU profile with
only one entry - vdpau :)

Any suggestions as to something more sophisticated?

Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:55:45 pm Robin Neatherway wrote:
> wonder what the reason was for closing it? And locking it, without
> saying anything? This looks like a good piece of work that quite a few
> people could find really helpful to allow them to use VDPAU while
> waiting for trunk to stabilise.

VDPAU is not stable. Fixes is for fixes. Without a doubt they would be deluged
with issues if they slipstreamed vdpau into 0.21 fixes.

Its great that Jean-Yves has created this patch and ppa, useful for those of
us who don't mind tweaking, but I wouldn't want to see it in the official 0.21

Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
> Not an expert on this side of thing - I have just setup a VDPAU profile with
> only one entry - vdpau :)
>
> Any suggestions as to something more sophisticated?

That's how I use it too :)

I did add another entry: with ffmpeg for decoding and vdpau for
de-interlacing with priority 2...
Just in case...

Jean-Yves
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hui

2009/1/27 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
> Installed via your repo, and working well, with one (possible) issue. It
> pulled in a library - nvidia-180-libvdpau which seemed to install nvidia
> 180.25 libs, it badly broke my 180.22 install. Once I upgraded to 180.25 all
> was ok.

This is how the nvidia drivers are packaged in mythtbuntu nightly
build and Ubuntu 9.04...
And it makes more sense than what they've done in stock 180.11 drivers.

That way libvdpau is independant from the video drivers so you could
install this mythtv package without a nvidia card (it does have
benefit)
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
> VDPAU is not stable. Fixes is for fixes. Without a doubt they would be
> deluged with issues if they slipstreamed vdpau into 0.21 fixes.

It was never about integrating VDPAU into 0.21-fixes officially (at
least not yet).
But to create a ticket allowing people to track changes and add
comments. Like many people have done like this one:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4951 which is used in mythbuntu packages

Instead some nazi just closed and locked it without a single word of
explanation...
Makes you feel how nice and fuzzy when you've spent 3 long days coding
and someone smash the door at you like this.

> Its great that Jean-Yves has created this patch and ppa, useful for those of
> us who don't mind tweaking, but I wouldn't want to see it in the official
> 0.21

see above...
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> says:
> Oh well, didn't take long:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6182#comment:1
>
> Already closed ...

I don't know what to say. In my experience Trac is used to track many
patches that may or may not ever make it into the code. As I noted,
John Poet's program ID-fudging code (#554) is one example that
resurfaced recently. One that I used for a long, long time, until
moving to 0.21, is Lincoln Dale's multiple-directories support
(#1744).

In any case, please let us know through mythtv-users of updates to
your patch.

Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard schreef op 27-1-2009 13:24:
> Hi
>
> 2009/1/27 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
>> VDPAU is not stable. Fixes is for fixes. Without a doubt they would be
>> deluged with issues if they slipstreamed vdpau into 0.21 fixes.
>
> It was never about integrating VDPAU into 0.21-fixes officially (at
> least not yet).
> But to create a ticket allowing people to track changes and add
> comments. Like many people have done like this one:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4951 which is used in mythbuntu packages
>
> Instead some nazi just closed and locked it without a single word of
> explanation...
> Makes you feel how nice and fuzzy when you've spent 3 long days coding
> and someone smash the door at you like this.
>

>> Its great that Jean-Yves has created this patch and ppa, useful for those of
>> us who don't mind tweaking, but I wouldn't want to see it in the official
>> 0.21
>
> see above...

I can agree on the not officially supporting it part, but seeing the
abbundant disclaimers you put in, closing it without comment doesn't
seem right either.
Your effort is appreciated when I personally am not using it, keep up
the good work.

Besides you've proven me wrong with my post on ubuntuforums ;)

Kind regards,

Jos Hoekstra
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/27 Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra@gmx.net>:
> Besides you've proven me wrong with my post on ubuntuforums ;)

Which post was that ? :P
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:24:52 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> It was never about integrating VDPAU into 0.21-fixes officially (at
> least not yet).
> But to create a ticket allowing people to track changes and add
> comments.

Ah, I see. Does seem a bit rude then.
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Jean-Yves Avenard schreef op 27-1-2009 13:54:
> Hi
>
> 2009/1/27 Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra@gmx.net>:
>> Besides you've proven me wrong with my post on ubuntuforums ;)
>>

> Which post was that ? :P

The one about weekly mythbuntu builds:

You backported it, so I was wrong there...
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hei

I am getting an error when trying to build mythtv with your patch. This is
under Gentoo so it might be an issue not related to the patch, but I am
asking anyway, maybe there are some configure options I have wrong. I have
been building mythtv with Mark Kendalls 0.21 fixes patches for months
without any problem. Looks like the compiling fails on the mythcommflag
with referances to mpeg_vdpau_decoder' and `h264_vdpau_decoder'. Her is
part of the mythtv build logs;

>>> Source unpacked in
/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p19778-r10/work
* Applying mythtv-fixes-glvdpau19794.patch ...
[ ok ]
>>> Configuring source in
/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p19778-r10/work/mythtv-0.21 ...
* Running ./configure --prefix=/usr
* --mandir=/usr/share/man
* --libdir-name=lib64 --enable-libfaad --disable-altivec
--enable-libfftw3 --disable-audio-jack --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmcw
--disable-xvmc-vld --enable-glx-procaddrarb --enable-glx-procaddrarb
* --enable-dvb
* --enable-firewire
* --enable-lirc
* --disable-audio-arts
* --disable-directfb
* --dvb-path=/usr/include
* --enable-opengl-video
* --enable-opengl-vsync
* --enable-xrandr
* --enable-xv
* --enable-x11
* --disable-ssse3 --enable-mmx --with-bindings=perl,python
--compile-type=profile --cpu=native --disable-distcc
cc1: warning: -funit-at-a-time is required for inlining of functions that
are only called once
# Basic Settings
Compile type profile
Compiler cache symlink gcc
DistCC no
install prefix /usr
runtime prefix /usr
CPU x86_64 (native)
big-endian no
MMX enabled yes
CMOV enabled yes
CMOV is fast yes

# Input Support
Joystick menu yes
lirc support yes
Video4Linux sup. yes
ivtv support yes
FireWire support yes
DVB support yes [/usr/include]
DBox2 support yes
HDHomeRun support yes
IPTV support yes

# Sound Output Support
OSS support yes
ALSA support yes
aRts support no
JACK support no
libfftw3 support yes

# Video Output Support
x11 support yes
xrandr support yes
xv support yes
XvMC support yes
XvMC VLD support no
XvMC pro support no
XvMC OpenGL sup. no
XvMC libs -lXvMCW
VDPAU support no
OpenGL video yes
OpenGL vsync yes
DirectFB no
Fribidi formatting no

# Misc Features
multi threaded libavcodec yes
Frontend yes
Backend yes

# Bindings
bindings_perl yes
bindings_python yes

.
.
.
/usr/qt/3/include/qimage.h: In member function âbool
QImageTextKeyLang::operator<(const QImageTextKeyLang&) constâ
:
/usr/qt/3/include/qimage.h:61: warning: suggest parentheses around &&
within ||
g++ -c -pipe -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -DNDEBUG -g -Wall
-Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decl s
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D_REENTRANT -DMMX
-D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_THR EAD_SUPPORT
-DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -I/usr/qt/3/mkspecs/linux-g++
-I/var/tmp/portage/media-t
v/mythtv-0.21_p19778-r10/work/mythtv-0.21/programs/mythcommflag
-I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I../.. -I../../libs
-I../../libs/libmyth -I../../libs/libmythtv -I../../libs/libavutil
-I../../libs/libavformat -I../../libs/libavcod ec
-I../../libs/libmythupnp -I../../libs/libmythui
-I../../libs/libmythlivemedia -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/X11R6/
include -I/usr/X11R6/include -o moc_ClassicCommDetector.o
moc_ClassicCommDetector.cpp
g++ -Wl,-O1 -o mythcommflag main.o CommDetectorFactory.o CommDetectorBase.o
Histogram.o ClassicLogoDetector.o Clas
sicSceneChangeDetector.o ClassicCommDetector.o quickselect.o
CommDetector2.o pgm.o EdgeDetector.o CannyEdgeDetecto r.o
PGMConverter.o BorderDetector.o FrameAnalyzer.o TemplateFinder.o
TemplateMatcher.o HistogramAnalyzer.o BlankFr ameDetector.o
SceneChangeDetector.o moc_SlotRelayer.o moc_CustomEventRelayer.o
moc_CommDetectorBase.o moc_LogoDete ctorBase.o
moc_SceneChangeDetectorBase.o moc_ClassicCommDetector.o -L/usr/qt/3/lib64
-L../../libs/libmyth -L../. ./libs/libmythtv
-L../../libs/libavutil -L../../libs/libavcodec -L../../libs/libavformat
-L../../libs/libmythfreem heg -L../../libs/libmythui
-L../../libs/libmythupnp -L../../libs/libmythlivemedia -lmythtv-0.21
-lmythavformat-0.2 1 -lmythavutil-0.21 -lmythavcodec-0.21
-lmythfreemheg-0.21 -lmythupnp-0.21 -lmythlivemedia-0.21 -lmyth-0.21 -lmyth
ui-0.21 -lfreetype -lz -lmp3lame -lasound -lraw1394 -liec61883
-lavc1394 -lrom1394 -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lXinerama - lXv
-lXxf86vm -lXrandr -lXvMCW -lXvMC -lqt-mt -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11 -lm
-lpthread
g++ -Wl,-O1 -o mythfrontend version.o main.o manualbox.o playbackbox.o
viewscheduled.o globalsettings.o manualsche dule.o
programrecpriority.o channelrecpriority.o statusbox.o networkcontrol.o
mediarenderer.o custompriority.o myt happearance.o
moc_manualbox.o moc_playbackbox.o moc_viewscheduled.o moc_globalsettings.o
moc_manualschedule.o moc_ programrecpriority.o
moc_channelrecpriority.o moc_statusbox.o moc_networkcontrol.o
moc_custompriority.o moc_mythap pearance.o -L/usr/qt/3/lib64
-L../../libs/libmyth -L../../libs/libmythtv -L../../libs/libavutil
-L../../libs/lib avcodec -L../../libs/libavformat
-L../../libs/libmythfreemheg -L../../libs/libmythui
-L../../libs/libmythupnp -L.. /../libs/libmythlivemedia
-lmythtv-0.21 -lmythavformat-0.21 -lmythavutil-0.21 -lmythavcodec-0.21
-lmythfreemheg-0. 21 -lmythupnp-0.21 -lmythlivemedia-0.21
-lmyth-0.21 -lmythui-0.21 -lfreetype -lz -lmp3lame -lasound -lraw1394 -lie
c61883 -lavc1394 -lrom1394 -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lXinerama -lXv
-lXxf86vm -lXrandr -lXvMCW -lXvMC -lqt-mt -lGLU -lGL -lXmu
-lXext -lX11 -lm -lpthread
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.21.so: undefined reference to
`mpeg_vdpau_decoder'
../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.21.so: undefined reference to
`h264_vdpau_decoder'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mythcommflag] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p19778-r10/work/mythtv-0.21/programs/mythcommfla
g'
make[1]: *** [sub-mythcommflag] Error 2

Espen

Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/28 espenaf <espenaf@junta.no>:
> I am getting an error when trying to build mythtv with your patch. This is
> under Gentoo so it might be an issue not related to the patch, but I am
> asking anyway, maybe there are some configure options I have wrong. I have
> been building mythtv with Mark Kendalls 0.21 fixes patches for months

Mark's fix patches are built in the VDPAU patches, so don't apply
those patches again (it would fail anyway)

Does the patch apply cleanly ?

> without any problem. Looks like the compiling fails on the mythcommflag
> with referances to mpeg_vdpau_decoder' and `h264_vdpau_decoder'. Her is
> part of the mythtv build logs;

I compile mythtv with the following command:
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC" ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-lirc
--enable-audio-alsa \
--enable-audio-oss --enable-audio-jack --enable-audio-arts --enable-dvb \
--enable-ivtv --enable-firewire --enable-joystick-menu \
--enable-opengl-vsync --with-bindings=perl --enable-opengl-video \
--enable-ffmpeg-pthreads --enable-vdpau \
--compile-type=profile --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmc-vld
--enable-xvmc-pro --enable-glx-procaddrarb --enable-libfaad
--enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid
--enable-libfftw3

> * Running ./configure --prefix=/usr
> * --mandir=/usr/share/man
> * --libdir-name=lib64 --enable-libfaad --disable-altivec
> --enable-libfftw3 --disable-audio-jack --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmcw
> --disable-xvmc-vld --enable-glx-procaddrarb --enable-glx-procaddrarb

> XvMC OpenGL sup. no
> XvMC libs -lXvMCW
> VDPAU support no
> OpenGL video yes
> OpenGL vsync yes
> DirectFB no
> Fribidi formatting no

Looks like your nvidia drivers (minimum 180.22) aren't properly installed.
See the line:
VDPAU support : no

that's because it didn't find the relevant libraries and headers.

> ../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.21.so: undefined reference to
> `mpeg_vdpau_decoder'
> ../../libs/libavcodec/libmythavcodec-0.21.so: undefined reference to
> `h264_vdpau_decoder'

Looks like it doesn't build properly in the even VDPAU libraries
aren't found... The VDPAU code shouldn't have been compiled at all ...

I noticed some error in trunk too if you requested VDPAU and it wasn't
available, it doesn't build cleanly either...

libvdpau.so and the vdpau headers *MUST* be installed
Jean-Yves
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:25:00 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looks like your nvidia drivers (minimum 180.22) aren't properly
installed.
> See the line:
> VDPAU support : no

The patch works great, forgot to add "--enable-vdpau". I just thought your
patch took care of all that :)
Tnx for the help, looking forward to testing VDPAU.

Espen

Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
Hi

2009/1/28 Espen A Fossen <espenaf@junta.no>:
> The patch works great, forgot to add "--enable-vdpau". I just thought your
> patch took care of all that :)
> Tnx for the help, looking forward to testing VDPAU.

hum.. will see why it doesn't compile if vdpay isn't active ... this
is surprising...
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/1/27 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com>:
> > VDPAU is not stable. Fixes is for fixes. Without a doubt they would be
> > deluged with issues if they slipstreamed vdpau into 0.21 fixes.
>
> It was never about integrating VDPAU into 0.21-fixes officially (at
> least not yet).
> But to create a ticket allowing people to track changes and add
> comments. Like many people have done like this one:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4951 which is used in mythbuntu packages
>
> Instead some nazi just closed and locked it without a single word of
> explanation...
> Makes you feel how nice and fuzzy when you've spent 3 long days coding
> and someone smash the door at you like this.

From my perspective, I get it. Trac is very much for tracking the source
code and other submitted features with patches. It was said on the lists
quite clearly that VDPAU would not be backported in the official code to
0.21-fixes. You've done a marvelous work in doing that, but you really
shouldn't expect that to be supported in the official codebase after such a
declaration. If you want to track comments/tickets/bugs, set up your own
Trac for what essentially is your own fork/custom version of MythTV. The
other tickets you mentioned were *new* features with patches. It may seem
like a nitpicky distinction, but yours isn't a new Myth feature, it's a
trunk feature that the devs do not want backported to 0.21 officially since
0.21-fixes is for *fixes*, not new features. I believe that any trunk
feature of this magnitude backported to 0.21 and a ticket submitted would be
closed for the exact same reasons.

Kevin
Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:24:52 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > It was never about integrating VDPAU into 0.21-fixes officially (at
> > least not yet).
> > But to create a ticket allowing people to track changes and add
> > comments.
>

> Ah, I see. Does seem a bit rude then.

I think Jean was well aware of the -devs stance on VDPAU on 0.21-fixes when
doing his work (it's the precise reason he did it) so I'm surprised that
he's surprised that they also don't want to track issues associated with it
in the official databsae.

Kevin

1 2 3  View All