Hi,

Here are the comments from the following changeset (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19251):

"Replaces IMDB grabber with themoviedb.org grabber as the default in trunk. This commit doesn't change existing settings or remove the IMDB script yet, I'll do that in a few days once any kinks with the TMDB script have been worked out. If you have an existing install and wish to switch to tmdb.pl then edit the grabber commands accordingly."

Can someone please explain "edit the grabber commands accordingly"?

I am running 0.21, without any fixes. I downloaded tmdb.pl and dumped it into my scripts folder. Is there a way to start using that file instead of imdb.pl when I do a search for the video metadata (without having to recompile mythvideo)? I am willing to do a recompile if needed, but I was hesitant to use the version of videodlg.cpp listed on that page because it differs a great deal from the one in my current installation. My current videodlg.cpp doesn't contain any mention of imdb.pl. I was worried that I would miss some other dependencies (different files) that were associated with previous revisions of that file. Looking at the revision log for that file, it appears that rev 18531 contains the first reference to imdb.pl. I am an svn novice, so please keep that in mind if you provide svn-related info.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
pimy

Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]
On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Rob Pimentel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here are the comments from the following changeset (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19251
> ):
>
> "Replaces IMDB grabber with themoviedb.org grabber as the default in
> trunk. This commit doesn't change existing settings or remove the
> IMDB script yet, I'll do that in a few days once any kinks with the
> TMDB script have been worked out. If you have an existing install
> and wish to switch to tmdb.pl then edit the grabber commands
> accordingly."
>
> Can someone please explain "edit the grabber commands accordingly"?

In the mythvideo setup, there is a place to store the commands
executed when grabbing metadata. If you are using a new install, these
commands are correct but if you are using an existing install, you
have to manually change from the imdb scripts to the new ones.

> I am running 0.21, without any fixes. I downloaded tmdb.pl and
> dumped it into my scripts folder. Is there a way to start using that
> file instead of imdb.pl when I do a search for the video metadata
> (without having to recompile mythvideo)? I am willing to do a
> recompile if needed, but I was hesitant to use the version of
> videodlg.cpp listed on that page because it differs a great deal
> from the one in my current installation. My current videodlg.cpp
> doesn't contain any mention of imdb.pl. I was worried that I would
> miss some other dependencies (different files) that were associated
> with previous revisions of that file. Looking at the revision log
> for that file, it appears that rev 18531 contains the first
> reference to imdb.pl. I am an svn novice, so please keep that in
> mind if you provide svn-related info.

This is a setting stored in your database, not hard-coded.

-Brad

Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]

>In the mythvideo setup, there is a place to store the commands
>executed when grabbing metadata. If you are using a new
>install, these
>commands are correct but if you are using an existing install, you
>have to manually change from the imdb scripts to the new ones.
>
>> I am running 0.21, without any fixes. I downloaded tmdb.pl and
>> dumped it into my scripts folder. Is there a way to start
>using that
>> file instead of imdb.pl when I do a search for the video metadata
>> (without having to recompile mythvideo)? I am willing to do a
>> recompile if needed, but I was hesitant to use the version of
>> videodlg.cpp listed on that page because it differs a great deal
>> from the one in my current installation. My current videodlg.cpp
>> doesn't contain any mention of imdb.pl. I was worried that I would
>> miss some other dependencies (different files) that were associated
>> with previous revisions of that file. Looking at the revision log
>> for that file, it appears that rev 18531 contains the first
>> reference to imdb.pl. I am an svn novice, so please keep that in
>> mind if you provide svn-related info.
>
>This is a setting stored in your database, not hard-coded.

Just replacing the command doesn't seem to work for me...did it work for
anyone else?
-steve

Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]

> >In the mythvideo setup, there is a place to store the
> commands
> >executed when grabbing metadata. If you are using a new
>
> >install, these
> >commands are correct but if you are using an existing
> install, you
> >have to manually change from the imdb scripts to the
> new ones.

Thanks. I found the settings under Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video Settings->General Settings

Screen #4

Command to search for movie listings

Original value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -M tv=no;video=no

New value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -M

Command to search for movie posters

Original value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -P

New value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -P

Command to extract data for movies

Original value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -D

New value:
/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -D

> Just replacing the command doesn't seem to work for
> me...did it work for
> anyone else?
> -steve

I ran a search and it worked fine. Although. the plot info is still not being downloaded, but I had that problem with imdb.

I did have to do a few other things before it worked.

1) I had to copy the Mythtv directory and it's contents to the scripts folder. I originally checked out that folder, but dumped it to a temp folder and only copied over tmdb.pl. If you checked out the scripts folder, you should have it.

2) I had to install XML:Parser, and XML:Simple.

When you do a perl -c tmdb.pl do you receive any errors?

Thanks,
pimy

Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]

>Thanks. I found the settings under
>Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video
>Settings->General Settings
>
>Screen #4
>
>Command to search for movie listings
>
>Original value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -M tv=no;video=no
>
>New value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -M
>
>Command to search for movie posters
>
>Original value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -P
>
>New value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -P
>
>Command to extract data for movies
>
>Original value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/imdb.pl -D
>
>New value:
>/usr/local/share/mythtv/mythvideo/scripts/tmdb.pl -D
>

>> Just replacing the command doesn't seem to work for
>> me...did it work for
>> anyone else?
>> -steve
>>

>I ran a search and it worked fine. Although. the plot info is
>still not being downloaded, but I had that problem with imdb.
>
>I did have to do a few other things before it worked.
>
>1) I had to copy the Mythtv directory and it's contents to the
>scripts folder. I originally checked out that folder, but
>dumped it to a temp folder and only copied over tmdb.pl. If
>you checked out the scripts folder, you should have it.
>
>2) I had to install XML:Parser, and XML:Simple.
>
>When you do a perl -c tmdb.pl do you receive any errors?
>
>Thanks,
>pimy

How do I install xml:parser and xml:simple? This is starting to be more than
I bargained for. I thought it could just run this script, but I guess
there's more to it.

"I had to copy the Mythtv directory and it's contents to the scripts folder"
----specifically, which mythtv directory did you have to copy? What files
were in that directory?

Also, if tmdb.pl doesn't get the plot info, I don't see the point. I get the
plot info with my imdb.pl, but it just doesn't get the user ratings. I was
hoping tmdb.pl would do that.
-Thanks
-Steve

Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]

> How do I install xml:parser and xml:simple? This is starting to be more
> than
> I bargained for. I thought it could just run this script, but I guess
> there's more to it.
>
> "I had to copy the Mythtv directory and it's contents to the scripts
> folder"
> ----specifically, which mythtv directory did you have to copy? What files
> were in that directory?
>
> Also, if tmdb.pl doesn't get the plot info, I don't see the point. I get
> the
> plot info with my imdb.pl, but it just doesn't get the user ratings. I was
> hoping tmdb.pl would do that.

From what I can see, themoviedb.org doesn't have information or has
incomplete information for lots of movies. It is basically like the wiki
version of imdb.com. As I understand it the switch to themoviedb.org isn't
because it is superior, it is because the imdb.com has asked that people not
scrape their site like the imdb.pl script does. I don't really know any
details. I just recall seeing something about it on the list. Hopefully with
time themoviedb.org could be really good, but currently it looks like it is
just getting started to me.
Re: How do I switch from imdb to tmdb? [ In reply to ]
> How do I install xml:parser and xml:simple? This is
> starting to be more than
> I bargained for. I thought it could just run this script,
> but I guess
> there's more to it.

I believe the script (not unlike other scripts) has some dependencies. See the 'use' statements in tmdb.pl.

Do you have Perl set up to use CPAN?
http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_install_Perl_modules

If not, just download the tarballs directly from search.cpan.org. You extract (e.g. tar xvf tarballname) the contents to a folder, run perl Makefile.pl, make, make test, then su and run make install. The instructions should be in the README when you extract the contents of the tarball. They were both very easy to install, and took about 10 minutes total.

Thanks,
pimy