Mailing List Archive

Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordingsof CIFS share
On June 20, 2008 1:30 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Obviously you have enough permissions that the backend can record.
> > Are preview images being created by the backend/frontend for normal
> > use with mythfrontend or are you seeing problems with both those
> > thumbnails and the ones mythweb is trying to make? My gut reaction is
> > that whatever user apache is launching mythbackend as to generate the
> > previews either doesn't have permissions to the files or doesn't see the
mount?

> > Kevin
>
> Permissions are not the issue, all users have full access to the directory
the
> files are stored in, and all users have read access to all the files
generated
> by myth (including the thumbnails). I can also use the direct download
icon
> from mythweb to dl the mpg file, so that further shows it is not a
permission
> issue. I think the issue is what Shawn said.
>
> When I have time, I will look into NFS. I am just curious if that gives
me
> other benefits besides this. It seems like a non-trivial thing to set up
SFU
> and NFS on a windows box, and if the only plus is to make mythweb pretty,
> I am not sure it is worth it.

The main advantage for me was that I now am able to access my Windows server
using the native tools for whatever client I happen to be on at the time. My
Windows clients use CIFS/SMB and my linux boxen use NFS. No more futzing
with smbclient on my linux machines.

While I wouldn't say it was 'trivial' to set up, it certainly wasn't hard
either. It was the first time I set it up and I had everything installed and
working within an hour. Granted, this was on a Win 2003 R2 server which has
much of the tools already installed and streamlined, but it isn't _that_
much different with the SFU download for older servers. While it is probably
OT for this list, feel free to contact me offline if you feel like giving it
a go and want some pointers.

Shawn Flynn

Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordingsof CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Shawn Flynn <sflynn1@rogers.com> wrote:
> While I wouldn't say it was 'trivial' to set up, it certainly wasn't hard
> either. It was the first time I set it up and I had everything installed and
> working within an hour. Granted, this was on a Win 2003 R2 server which has
> much of the tools already installed and streamlined, but it isn't _that_
> much different with the SFU download for older servers. While it is probably
> OT for this list, feel free to contact me offline if you feel like giving it
> a go and want some pointers.
>
> Shawn Flynn

Can I take you up on that offer?

I installed SFU, right clicked on my C drive, and enabled NFS sharing,
gave the share the name winc, allowed anon access, and changed the
permissions to read and write access (all within the NFS share tab).

I then added this to my /etc/fstab:
192.168.1.100:/winc /win3 nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

It seems that I can mount /win3, but then when I try to cd into it, I get this:
[root@localhost ~]# cd /win3
-bash: cd: /win3: Permission denied

Here is the line for /win3:
drwxrwxrwx 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 2008-06-29 10:56 win3
(note, all other directories there are root root, not sure what that
number signifies).

Thanks
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordingsof CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 29 June 2008 12:05:13 Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Shawn Flynn <sflynn1@rogers.com> wrote:
> > While I wouldn't say it was 'trivial' to set up, it certainly wasn't hard
> > either. It was the first time I set it up and I had everything installed
> > and working within an hour. Granted, this was on a Win 2003 R2 server
> > which has much of the tools already installed and streamlined, but it
> > isn't _that_ much different with the SFU download for older servers.
> > While it is probably OT for this list, feel free to contact me offline if
> > you feel like giving it a go and want some pointers.
> >
> > Shawn Flynn
>
> Can I take you up on that offer?
>
> I installed SFU, right clicked on my C drive, and enabled NFS sharing,
> gave the share the name winc, allowed anon access, and changed the
> permissions to read and write access (all within the NFS share tab).
>
> I then added this to my /etc/fstab:
> 192.168.1.100:/winc /win3 nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>
> It seems that I can mount /win3, but then when I try to cd into it, I get
> this: [root@localhost ~]# cd /win3
> -bash: cd: /win3: Permission denied
>
> Here is the line for /win3:
> drwxrwxrwx 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 2008-06-29 10:56 win3
> (note, all other directories there are root root, not sure what that
> number signifies).

NFS requires that the UIDs and GIDs be synchronized between machines, or that
you take steps to account for the lack of such synchronization.

The permission error is telling you what the problem is, and the UID/GIDs are
confirming it.

Not sure how you handle permissions on a Windows NFS server, but if it were a
Unix server you could just set 777 permissions (security policy permitting).

You might want to share out that Windows directory using Samba type sharing.

beww
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordingsof CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 June 2008 12:05:13 Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Shawn Flynn <sflynn1@rogers.com> wrote:
>> > While it is probably OT for this list, feel free to contact me offline if
>> > you feel like giving it a go and want some pointers.
>> >
>> > Shawn Flynn
>>
>> Can I take you up on that offer?

First, apologies for sending this to the full list. I intended to
only send it to Shawn, but accidentally left the list in the to field

>> I installed SFU, right clicked on my C drive, and enabled NFS sharing,
>> gave the share the name winc, allowed anon access, and changed the
>> permissions to read and write access (all within the NFS share tab).
>>
>> I then added this to my /etc/fstab:
>> 192.168.1.100:/winc /win3 nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>>
>> It seems that I can mount /win3, but then when I try to cd into it, I get
>> this: [root@localhost ~]# cd /win3
>> -bash: cd: /win3: Permission denied
>>
>> Here is the line for /win3:
>> drwxrwxrwx 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 2008-06-29 10:56 win3
>> (note, all other directories there are root root, not sure what that
>> number signifies).
>

> NFS requires that the UIDs and GIDs be synchronized between machines, or that
> you take steps to account for the lack of such synchronization.
>
> The permission error is telling you what the problem is, and the UID/GIDs are
> confirming it.
>
> Not sure how you handle permissions on a Windows NFS server, but if it were a
> Unix server you could just set 777 permissions (security policy permitting).

I am not sure either how to do this with SFU, and MS' docs are not
that great (surprise surprise).

> You might want to share out that Windows directory using Samba type sharing.

Already have these shared out with samba (via CIFS), but then I can't
get the thumbnails in mythweb for the recordings on my CIFS share
(hence the origin of this thread).