fairly trivial, but I am not sure what. When checking permissions for
the files, all users have read access for the thumbnails. Any ideas?

Thanks
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Jun 19, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> I just added a a new drive that is in my windows box and mounted to my
> BE/FE via CIFS to my default storage group. I am now able to record
> and watch shows that are recorded there, but when I go to mythweb,
> there is no thumbnail for these programs. I am guessing it something
> fairly trivial, but I am not sure what. When checking permissions for
> the files, all users have read access for the thumbnails. Any ideas?

What about the permissions on the directory itself?
Your backend log files will be able to tell you more about what's
happening then someone else guessing on here. :)

Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth@dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> What about the permissions on the directory itself?
> Your backend log files will be able to tell you more about what's
> happening then someone else guessing on here. :)

The directly itself has read write and execute permissions for all. I
checked the mythbackend log and grepped for a specific show that is on
the windows box. Note, the FE/BE is localhost, not the windows box.
So this may be the issue here:

2008-06-19 08:29:39.096
RingBuf(/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg.png):
Could not open /GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg.png.
2008-06-19 08:29:40.023 Preview Error: Run() file not local:
'/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg'
2008-06-19 08:31:18.771
RingBuf(/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg.png):
Could not open /GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg.png.
2008-06-19 08:31:19.488 Preview Error: Run() file not local:
'/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/localhost.localdomain/1010_20080619030000.mpg'
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just added a a new drive that is in my windows box and mounted to my
> BE/FE via CIFS to my default storage group. I am now able to record
> and watch shows that are recorded there, but when I go to mythweb,
> there is no thumbnail for these programs. I am guessing it something
> fairly trivial, but I am not sure what. When checking permissions for
> the files, all users have read access for the thumbnails. Any ideas?

I'd suggest just changing the folder that the thumbnails are stored/created
in. Nothing like avoidance to solve a problem :)

Kevin
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest just changing the folder that the thumbnails are stored/created
> in. Nothing like avoidance to solve a problem :)
>
> Kevin

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly would I go about doing that? I
thought by default that myth just creates them in the same folder the
recordings are in and that this was not user configurable. This seems
like a much easier solution to me than setting up SFU.
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd suggest just changing the folder that the thumbnails are
> stored/created
> > in. Nothing like avoidance to solve a problem :)
> >
> > Kevin
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly would I go about doing that? I
> thought by default that myth just creates them in the same folder the
> recordings are in and that this was not user configurable. This seems
> like a much easier solution to me than setting up SFU.

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of the MythVideo cover location. I think I
am...sorry.

Obviously you have enough permissions that the backend can record. Are
preview images being created by the backend/frontend for normal use with
mythfrontend or are you seeing problems with both those thumbnails and the
ones mythweb is trying to make? My gut reaction is that whatever user
apache is launching mythbackend as to generate the previews either doesn't
have permissions to the files or doesn't see the mount?

Kevin
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously you have enough permissions that the backend can record. Are
> preview images being created by the backend/frontend for normal use with
> mythfrontend or are you seeing problems with both those thumbnails and the
> ones mythweb is trying to make? My gut reaction is that whatever user
> apache is launching mythbackend as to generate the previews either doesn't
> have permissions to the files or doesn't see the mount?
>
> Kevin

Permissions are not the issue, all users have full access to the
directory the files are stored in, and all users have read access to
all the files generated by myth (including the thumbnails). I can
also use the direct download icon from mythweb to dl the mpg file, so
that further shows it is not a permission issue. I think the issue is
what Shawn said.

When I have time, I will look into NFS. I am just curious if that
gives me other benefits besides this. It seems like a non-trivial
thing to set up SFU and NFS on a windows box, and if the only plus is
to make mythweb pretty, I am not sure it is worth it.
Re: Can't see thumbnails in mythweb for recordings of CIFS share [ In reply to ]
On 06/20/2008 01:25 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >
> >> I'd suggest just changing the folder that the thumbnails are
> >> stored/created in. Nothing like avoidance to solve a problem :)
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly would I go about doing that?

Do you have a time machine? Should just require a trip to the future.
If you don't mind coming back to let me know when I finish that code,
I'd be very grateful to know. :)

> > I thought by default that myth just creates them in the same folder
> > the recordings are in and that this was not user configurable.
> > This seems like a much easier solution to me than setting up SFU.
>
> Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of the MythVideo cover location. I think I
> am...sorry.

Or perhaps you've seen the commented out line in
libs/libmyth/storagegroup.cpp:

const QStringList StorageGroup::kSpecialGroups = QStringList()
<< "LiveTV"
// << "Thumbnails"
<< "DB Backups"
;

which I put in place--along with the commented "DB Backups" line--as an
example of how to initialize the list with multiple values, since when
my patch for special group creation went in, the only special storage
group was LiveTV. I thought I would have the Thumbnails storage group
code (which allows users to specify a storage group in which to store
thumbnails--regardless of recording location--providing /many/
benefits). It turns out I got initial automatic backup (before upgrade)
support complete before the Thumbnail support.

Or maybe you just remembered my promises on the list and assumed I had
already followed through with code. :)

Mike