Mailing List Archive

Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25
Qute:
================
Hi,

I am having problems to make mythtv work with kernel 2.6.25 (Fedora 8).

The problem seems to be my capture card, a Prolink Pixelview.

Myth starts just fine, but the first time I choose LiveTV,
mythfrontend becomes unresponsive. If I press 'esc' to go back,
it takes 30 seg to return to the main menu, and I have to kill the frontend.

After that, mythbackend can not be restarted or killed (there is a defunct
myth process running).
If I reboot the computer, the partitions are busy (can not be unmounted
cleanly).

Going back to kernel 2.6.24, everything works just fine. I have been using
this card for years
with myth just fine. I can also play TV using mplayer without any issue on
kernel 2.6.25.
Therefore, the problem seems to be really the interaction between mythtv and
my card.
==============
End quote

I am experiencing the very same symptoms after upgrading to kernel 2.6.25.
Initally, I get the "Strange error flushing buffer" mesage. Afterwards
I cannot restart the backend. I m using an Avertv and hauppage bttv
cards. Going back to kernel 2.6.24 brings things back to a working
mythtv system.

Any ideas?

Alex
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
Alexander Petkov wrote:
> Qute:
> ================
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems to make mythtv work with kernel 2.6.25 (Fedora 8).
>
> The problem seems to be my capture card, a Prolink Pixelview.
>
> Myth starts just fine, but the first time I choose LiveTV,
> mythfrontend becomes unresponsive. If I press 'esc' to go back,
> it takes 30 seg to return to the main menu, and I have to kill the frontend.
>
> After that, mythbackend can not be restarted or killed (there is a defunct
> myth process running).
> If I reboot the computer, the partitions are busy (can not be unmounted
> cleanly).
>
> Going back to kernel 2.6.24, everything works just fine. I have been using
> this card for years
> with myth just fine. I can also play TV using mplayer without any issue on
> kernel 2.6.25.
> Therefore, the problem seems to be really the interaction between mythtv and
> my card.
> ==============
> End quote
>

> I am experiencing the very same symptoms after upgrading to kernel 2.6.25.
> Initally, I get the "Strange error flushing buffer" mesage. Afterwards
> I cannot restart the backend. I m using an Avertv and hauppage bttv
> cards. Going back to kernel 2.6.24 brings things back to a working
> mythtv system.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Alex
There was a similar issue in a patch related to scheduling on Ubuntu's 2.6.24.
In between ABI bumps from 2.6.24-16 to 2.6.24-17 it got resolved by pulling a patch.

I suspect the scheduler for 2.6.25 was pulled into Ubuntu, and then when there
was a realization that it was broke, then the patch was added.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing@gmail.com
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]

can you point me this patch?

I would be willing to try it.

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Mario Limonciello
> <mario.mailing@gmail.com <mailto:mario.mailing@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Alexander Petkov wrote:
> > Qute:
> > ================
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having problems to make mythtv work with kernel 2.6.25
> (Fedora 8).
> >
> > The problem seems to be my capture card, a Prolink Pixelview.
> >
> > Myth starts just fine, but the first time I choose LiveTV,
> > mythfrontend becomes unresponsive. If I press 'esc' to go back,
> > it takes 30 seg to return to the main menu, and I have to kill the
> frontend.
> >
> > After that, mythbackend can not be restarted or killed (there is a
> defunct
> > myth process running).
> > If I reboot the computer, the partitions are busy (can not be
> unmounted
> > cleanly).
> >
> > Going back to kernel 2.6.24, everything works just fine. I have
> been using
> > this card for years
> > with myth just fine. I can also play TV using mplayer without any
> issue on
> > kernel 2.6.25. <http://2.6.25.>
> > Therefore, the problem seems to be really the interaction between
> mythtv and
> > my card.
> > ==============
> > End quote
> >

> > I am experiencing the very same symptoms after upgrading to kernel
> 2.6.25. <http://2.6.25.>
> > Initally, I get the "Strange error flushing buffer" mesage. Afterwards
> > I cannot restart the backend. I m using an Avertv and hauppage bttv
> > cards. Going back to kernel 2.6.24 brings things back to a working
> > mythtv system.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Alex
> There was a similar issue in a patch related to scheduling on
> Ubuntu's 2.6.24. <http://2.6.24.>
> In between ABI bumps from 2.6.24-16 to 2.6.24-17 it got resolved by
> pulling a patch.
>
> I suspect the scheduler for 2.6.25 was pulled into Ubuntu, and then
> when there
> was a realization that it was broke, then the patch was added.
>

> Mario,
>
> can you point me this patch?
>
> I would be willing to try it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ
Paulo:

There are a few relevant patches I believe, but the biggest thing is make sure
that you are turning on CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing@gmail.com
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
>Paulo:

>There are a few relevant patches I believe, but the biggest thing is make sure
>that you are turning on CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED.

I'll try it as well--just checked and the config for my distro's
kernel (ArchLinux) did not have this option enabled.

Alex
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Alexander Petkov <greenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Paulo:
>
>>There are a few relevant patches I believe, but the biggest thing is make sure
>>that you are turning on CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED.
>
> I'll try it as well--just checked and the config for my distro's
> kernel (ArchLinux) did not have this option enabled.
>
> Alex

Pfff, I recompiled the2.6.25 kernel with the above-mentioned options
and still no go...

Is really no one able to use 2.6.25 kernel with a bttv card?

Alex
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
Hi Paulo:

Are you by any chance using an xfs partition for storing mythtv recordings?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
Alexander Petkov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Alexander Petkov <greenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Paulo:
>>> There are a few relevant patches I believe, but the biggest thing is make sure
>>> that you are turning on CONFIG_FAIR_CGROUP_SCHED.
>> I'll try it as well--just checked and the config for my distro's
>> kernel (ArchLinux) did not have this option enabled.
>>
>> Alex
>>
> Pfff, I recompiled the2.6.25 kernel with the above-mentioned options
> and still no go...
>
> Is really no one able to use 2.6.25 kernel with a bttv card?
>
> Alex

I've been fighting for a couple of days now after my upgrade
to the 2.6.25 kernel with similar non-success. Luckily this
is a slave backend and not my primary system.
I've tried the usual "delete all tuners" etc. Still no go.

I'd also be happy to hear of any success.

Scott

02:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 11)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Kernel driver in use: bttv
Kernel modules: bttv
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]

s> Alexander Petkov wrote:
[...]
>> Is really no one able to use 2.6.25 kernel with a bttv card?

s> I've been fighting for a couple of days now after my upgrade
s> to the 2.6.25 kernel with similar non-success. Luckily this
s> is a slave backend and not my primary system.
s> I've tried the usual "delete all tuners" etc. Still no go.

I mentioned what I needed to do to get bttv to work in Fedora
9 (which uses 2.6.25-based kernels) in this post:

The latest F9 kernel now has the LIRC patch but still requires this
bttv patch:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/17/139

I've attached the mythtv patch I mentioned for using V4L2 mode with
bttv cards.
Re: Mythtv and kernel 2.6.25 [ In reply to ]
> The latest F9 kernel now has the LIRC patch but still requires this
> bttv patch:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/17/139

Thanks for this info. I've been driving myself nuts thinking
I had done something wrong.

I read through the various other posts about sending to linus
and -stable to get it included. How does one track this to see
if it gets included in an officially released kernel?

Thanks,

Scott