activated. Secondly I would like to re-map remote presses from
another remote to use with MythTV and this working IR receiver. Anyone
ow where it is all controled ?
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
> For one I would like to be able to disable this number 5 being
> activated. Secondly I would like to re-map remote presses from
> another remote to use with MythTV and this working IR receiver. Anyone
> ow where it is all controled ?

See this thread for how to use lircrc to do the remapping.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333858?search_string=Remotes;#333858
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
2008/6/4 David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com>:
>> For one I would like to be able to disable this number 5 being
>> activated. Secondly I would like to re-map remote presses from
>> another remote to use with MythTV and this working IR receiver. Anyone
>> ow where it is all controled ?
>
> See this thread for how to use lircrc to do the remapping.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333858?search_string=Remotes;#333858

As I understand, he has no lirc running. His remote control is being
recognized as a keyboard and every buttons on the remote are working
as a keyboard buttons. Is that right?

If yes, you can use "xmodmap" to remap the buttons. See "man xmodmap"
for details and a lot of examples.
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2008, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/4 David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com>:
> >> For one I would like to be able to disable this number 5 being
> >> activated. Secondly I would like to re-map remote presses from
> >> another remote to use with MythTV and this working IR receiver. Anyone
> >> ow where it is all controled ?
> >
> > See this thread for how to use lircrc to do the remapping.
> >
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333858?search_string=Remotes;#333858
>
> As I understand, he has no lirc running. His remote control is being
> recognized as a keyboard and every buttons on the remote are working
> as a keyboard buttons. Is that right?
>
> If yes, you can use "xmodmap" to remap the buttons. See "man xmodmap"
> for details and a lot of examples.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

I use the lirc method and it works well with my DVB-T card. One
advantage was I was able to use the existing .lircrc file from my
PVR350 system. I just had to generate a new lircd.conf.

I don't know if the extra lirc process is particularly undesirable but
I would't have thought so, and it's never caused any problems for me.
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:40 PM, David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > See this thread for how to use lircrc to do the remapping.
>> >
>> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333858?search_string=Remotes;#333858
>>
>> As I understand, he has no lirc running. His remote control is being
>> recognized as a keyboard and every buttons on the remote are working
>> as a keyboard buttons. Is that right?
>>
>> If yes, you can use "xmodmap" to remap the buttons. See "man xmodmap"
>> for details and a lot of examples.
>
> There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
>
> I use the lirc method and it works well with my DVB-T card. One
> advantage was I was able to use the existing .lircrc file from my
> PVR350 system. I just had to generate a new lircd.conf.
>
> I don't know if the extra lirc process is particularly undesirable but
> I would't have thought so, and it's never caused any problems for me.

Thanks. The information I have got form both of you will help me in
finding the solution. I will tell you how it goes.
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:59 PM, covert covert <thecovert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:40 PM, David Watkins <watkinshome@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As I understand, he has no lirc running. His remote control is being
>>> recognized as a keyboard and every buttons on the remote are working
>>> as a keyboard buttons. Is that right?
>>>
>>> If yes, you can use "xmodmap" to remap the buttons. See "man xmodmap"
>>> for details and a lot of examples.
>>
>> There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
>>
>> I use the lirc method and it works well with my DVB-T card. One
>> advantage was I was able to use the existing .lircrc file from my
>> PVR350 system. I just had to generate a new lircd.conf.
>>
>> I don't know if the extra lirc process is particularly undesirable but
>> I would't have thought so, and it's never caused any problems for me.
>>

> Thanks. The information I have got form both of you will help me in
> finding the solution. I will tell you how it goes.

Got a config file up for lirc. So I will go that route. How can I
disable the input being taken from dev/event8 as keyboard input into X
so only lirc will be doing it ?
Re: How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
> Got a config file up for lirc. So I will go that route. How can I
> disable the input being taken from dev/event8 as keyboard input into X
> so only lirc will be doing it ?

If you start lircd like this

lircd -d /dev/input/event8
(you may want to add other options such as the path to your lircd.conf file...)

then all events on that device (your remote) will go to lirc rather
than to the keyboard buffer.

You need to be aware that if you add or remove other event based HID
devices (keyboard, mouse etc) then that event number might change.
Actually if you're very unlucky it may even change on a reboot without
you changing the computer configuration.

The solution to the above is to create a udev rule that creates a unique name

eg. /dev/input/myevent

that is always mapped to the correct event number. So then you'd
start lirc with

lircd -d /dev/input/myevent

There's stuff on the mythtv wiki about creating udev rules. If you
never plug or unplug peripherals and you're not unlucky you may not
need to worry about this.
Re : How is my IR mapped to the keymap ? [ In reply to ]
Le 04.06.2008 07:35:17, David Watkins a écrit :
> > Got a config file up for lirc. So I will go that route. How can I
> > disable the input being taken from dev/event8 as keyboard input
> into
> > so only lirc will be doing it ?
>
> If you start lircd like this
>
> lircd -d /dev/input/event8
> (you may want to add other options such as the path to your
> lircd.conf
> file...)
>
> then all events on that device (your remote) will go to lirc rather
> than to the keyboard buffer.
>
> You need to be aware that if you add or remove other event based HID
> devices (keyboard, mouse etc) then that event number might change.
> Actually if you're very unlucky it may even change on a reboot
> without
> you changing the computer configuration.
>
> The solution to the above is to create a udev rule that creates a
> unique name
>

> eg. /dev/input/myevent
>
> that is always mapped to the correct event number. So then you'd
> start lirc with
>
> lircd -d /dev/input/myevent
>

> There's stuff on the mythtv wiki about creating udev rules. If you
> never plug or unplug peripherals and you're not unlucky you may not
> need to worry about this.

You can also indicate the path to the remote this way:
/dev/input/by-id/id_of_your_remotedevice
That way it wont change.
Bye
Manu