Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6  View All
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
>Is it possible to dual boot the standard ATV software and linux? I'd
>like to be able to switch easily. I didn't really see the answer on
>the wiki.

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/AlternatePartitioning1

This is a dual boot setup on the internal drive that uses a USB pen
drive to bootstrap Linux. Remove the pen drive and reboot back to the
AppleTV OS. This is the setup I use for my mainline disk.

atv-bootloader could boot a real mach_kernel but I have not done any
development to enabled that. I know how to do it, just been busy
refining the various Linux/Myth installs.

Scott
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
>Scott - my biggest worry is how 'responsive' the frontend is on the
>ATV. I remember when I used to use a XBOX a few years ago, I gave
>up because it was dog slow switching between things or after menu
>presses even though it played things just fine.
>
>Is the ATV quick? Or does the limited memory make for delays?

I'm running a test setup with both front and backends for refining
the KnoppMyth install. Backend connects to HDHomeRun so the OS is
really loaded when doing LiveTV. This is about the worst case
situation and I don't recommend it for daily use. Even so, there is
the typical delay in going from the menu to viewing video content.
Menu navigation is quick, EPG is also fine.

Scott
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple TV, get rid
of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom too. WAF rising (until
she sees the credit card bill)

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla@4pi.com> wrote:

> >Scott - my biggest worry is how 'responsive' the frontend is on the
> >ATV. I remember when I used to use a XBOX a few years ago, I gave
> >up because it was dog slow switching between things or after menu
> >presses even though it played things just fine.
> >
> >Is the ATV quick? Or does the limited memory make for delays?
> >

> I'm running a test setup with both front and backends for refining
> the KnoppMyth install. Backend connects to HDHomeRun so the OS is
> really loaded when doing LiveTV. This is about the worst case
> situation and I don't recommend it for daily use. Even so, there is
> the typical delay in going from the menu to viewing video content.
> Menu navigation is quick, EPG is also fine.
>
> Scott

John
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
>Huge APPLAUSE to those working on ATV as a MythTV_FE. I just wanted to
>offer my support and encouragement.
>
>* My current MBE/MFE is slow switching into LiveTV as well.
>* The dual-boot idea is quite appealing, or at least the ability to
>roll-back.
>* Anything I can do to help? I have a virgin ATV that hasn't even seen a
>patch stick. Being 4 days old, I rather it stayed warrant-able...ish.

Join the fun? There's an general Ubuntu Install along with a
Mythbunutu and soon a KnoppMyth installs. The Ubuntu/Mythbuntu is
pretty easy and can be installed to an external USB disk. KnoppMyth
should be too but I have not tried it yet. An external USB disk will
be fine for a frontend.

Since you have a current MBE you want to match that version and this
becomes the swing point. With Mythbuntu, there's 0.20 and if you
update 0.21.

The wiki has a discussion area, so look through the wiki, ask
questions in the discussion area as to what you want to do and I can
point you to the best method.

Scott
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
Scott D. Davilla wrote:

> Join the fun? There's an general Ubuntu Install along with a
> Mythbunutu and soon a KnoppMyth installs. The Ubuntu/Mythbuntu is
> pretty easy and can be installed to an external USB disk. KnoppMyth
> should be too but I have not tried it yet. An external USB disk will
> be fine for a frontend.

Does the Ubuntu install method also work for Debian Etch?

- Marc
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM, John Andrunas <john@andrunas.net> wrote:

> AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple TV, get
> rid of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom too. WAF rising
> (until she sees the credit card bill)

I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]

>Does the Ubuntu install method also work for Debian Etch?

It's similar, Etch uses the older PATA module so the internal drive
is "/dev/hda" not /dev/sda. There was something else about Etch. I
would have to check the threads. Someone there did an Etch install.
Here it is,

http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1075&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=etch&start=40#p8031

One slight change, you can let it install grub but fix the MBR with
the latest gptsync.

If you are willing and take good notes I could add an Etch install to
the atv-bootloader wiki.
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
Scott D. Davilla wrote:

> It's similar, Etch uses the older PATA module so the internal drive
> is "/dev/hda" not /dev/sda. There was something else about Etch. I
> would have to check the threads. Someone there did an Etch install.
> Here it is,
>
> http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1075&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=etch&start=40#p8031
>
> One slight change, you can let it install grub but fix the MBR with
> the latest gptsync.

Thanks for the info.

> If you are willing and take good notes I could add an Etch install to
> the atv-bootloader wiki.

Sure, I haven't got an ATV yet, but when I do, I'll give it a try and
take copious notes.

- Marc

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
Nick F wrote:

> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
If I had a way to get a 100MB line from the basement to the 2nd floor,
it would cost me the same... Sigh...

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 1 year, 7 months and 4 weeks, saving $2,737.68 and
not smoking 18,251.22 cigarettes.
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Nick F wrote:
>>
>> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
> If I had a way to get a 100MB line from the basement to the 2nd
> floor, it would cost me the same... Sigh...
>
> Jeff.

Or use the built-in wireless of the atv?

How viable is a wireless connection as a frontend to backend connection?
It's N in the apple tv so as long as you have bought a newfangled expensive
wireless router, you're golden. But can you do it with wireless G data
rates?

Brian

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
yes - but not over a poor or slow connection. Between ~20-30m through a
couple of brick walls with G > 24Mbs, no other AP's close by. Two other
G machines using the connection at the same time (web browsing and
puzzel pirates) - not a huge load.

SD works fine, HD almost but not quite (at 54Mbs) - though I am using
openvpn over wpa so there is a little too much overhead (cpu bound) for
it.

Sony Vaio with a 1.2G P3M. I presume an ATV would behave similarly.

BillK

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
W.Kenworthy wrote:
> though I am using
> openvpn over wpa so there is a little too much overhead (cpu bound)
> for it.

You REALLY don't want people to know what you're watching do you ;) ? I
imagine with no VPN and perhaps no WPA you could get HD streaming. It
depends on what the CPU loads are on the Apple TV. Scott mentioned the
Apple TV can do 1080i and 720p, but what are the CPU load percentages during
those two? Would VPN put the CPU over the top?

Brian

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
>Nick F wrote:
>>
>> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
>If I had a way to get a 100MB line from the basement to the 2nd floor,
>it would cost me the same... Sigh...

AppleTV does have builtin 802.11 b/g/n wireless;)

I run wired but have run mythtv on a MacBook using 802.11g and it was
ok, My access point was about 6 feet away (airport express which are
nice little access points with b/g and now n).

As with all wifi, results are dependent greatly on your environment.

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
>W.Kenworthy wrote:
>> though I am using
>> openvpn over wpa so there is a little too much overhead (cpu bound)
>> for it.
>
>You REALLY don't want people to know what you're watching do you ;) ? I
>imagine with no VPN and perhaps no WPA you could get HD streaming. It
>depends on what the CPU loads are on the Apple TV. Scott mentioned the
>Apple TV can do 1080i and 720p, but what are the CPU load percentages during
>those two? Would VPN put the CPU over the top?

720p mpeg2 using Xv is about 50 percent or less. 1080i using XvMC
runs 65-80 percent depending on what's going on (content wise). 1080i
will spike to 100 when OSD is up, when EPG is up it's more or less
back to 65-80 percent even running the video display.

About six months running code from svn trunk, this was different and
cpu load was much less when OSD was up. Something in frontend code
changed and I've not tracked it down. Seems to be around the time
that a52 was purged and the bad ffmpeg sync that killed ac3 decode
from mpeg2 content with a segfault.

I have had 1080i mpeg2 being decoded and displayed while running a
nice'd kernel compile in the background. video display never faulted.

There are reports of other Linux on AppleTV users doing wifi with
sucess but I don't know what video content they are using.

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:24:44AM +0100, Nick F wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM, John Andrunas <john@andrunas.net> wrote:
>
> > AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple TV, get
> > rid of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom too. WAF rising
> > (until she sees the credit card bill)
> >

> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.

...don't think of it as costing you $229, think of it as saving
you $400. Before too long I might decide to reclaim one of my minis
and swap it out with one of these.

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:14:52AM -0400, Jeff Wormsley wrote:

> Nick F wrote:
> >
> > I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
> If I had a way to get a 100MB line from the basement to the 2nd floor,
> it would cost me the same... Sigh...

Once you get wired, you will never know how you lived without.
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
Scott D. Davilla wrote:

> 720p mpeg2 using Xv is about 50 percent or less. 1080i using XvMC
> runs 65-80 percent depending on what's going on (content wise). 1080i
> will spike to 100 when OSD is up, when EPG is up it's more or less
> back to 65-80 percent even running the video display.

What about Xvid avis? Is that comparable to the mpeg2 Xv performance for
the same resolution?

- Marc
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
> > 720p mpeg2 using Xv is about 50 percent or less. 1080i using XvMC
>> runs 65-80 percent depending on what's going on (content wise). 1080i
>> will spike to 100 when OSD is up, when EPG is up it's more or less
>> back to 65-80 percent even running the video display.
>
>What about Xvid avis? Is that comparable to the mpeg2 Xv performance for
>the same resolution?

I have no experience with those formats. All my content is mpeg2
(PVR-150s and HDHomeRun) and I'm starting to explore h.264 capture
options. 720p h.264 seems fine, even higher bit-rate with the
skiploopfilter. MPlayer is my test app for these. I don't offhand
remember the cpu load if I'm not close to saturation.

The 1080p h.264 Apple movie trailers will almost play correctly with
the skiploopfilter in MPlayer. Audio will sometimes lag video which
is really video is not decoded fast enough. h.264 decode is still a
moving target in ffmpeg so this might/might not improve in the future.

Got some test clips? Be happy to try them.

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]

> Got some test clips? Be happy to try them.

Have you tried the sample which is floating around from the HD-PVR?
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_clip/hd_pvr_clip/hcw_hd_pvr2_1080i_h264.ts
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Nick F wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM, John Andrunas <john@andrunas.net>
> wrote:
> AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple TV,
> get rid of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom too.
> WAF rising (until she sees the credit card bill)
>

> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.

Don't forget: The Apple Store has refurbs (full 1yr warranty). AppleTV
there is $199.

-Pete
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Peter Loron wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Nick F wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM, John Andrunas <john@andrunas.net>
>> wrote:
>> AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple TV,
>> get rid of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom too.
>> WAF rising (until she sees the credit card bill)
>>

>> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
>
> Don't forget: The Apple Store has refurbs (full 1yr warranty).
> AppleTV there is $199.
>
> -Pete

Crap. Now *I* have to buy one. Thanks a lot!

-Brad
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Peter Loron wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Nick F wrote:
>>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM, John Andrunas
>>> <john@andrunas.net> wrote:
>>> AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... Must buy Apple
>>> TV, get rid of noisy ugly pc by the tv!!! Maybe in the bedroom
>>> too. WAF rising (until she sees the credit card bill)
>>>

>>> I hate this list! It's just cost me $229.
>>
>> Don't forget: The Apple Store has refurbs (full 1yr warranty).
>> AppleTV there is $199.
>>
>> -Pete
>
> Crap. Now *I* have to buy one. Thanks a lot!
>
> -Brad

Anything I can do to help! :-)

I got sucked into that void about a month ago...figured I should share
the pain. :-)

-Pete
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]

>> Got some test clips? Be happy to try them.
>>

>Have you tried the sample which is floating around from the HD-PVR?
>ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_clip/hd_pvr_clip/hcw_hd_pvr2_1080i_h264.ts

That's h.264 wrapped in an mpeg2 transport stream. I can't even play
that on my 2GHz MacBook. Something about needing to unwrap, demerge,
remerge, kill a chicken, in order to play in MPlayer. It's not your
standard h.264 format.

Wall*E and Iron Man 720p Apple Trailer play fine without having to
use the skiploopfiler. There's a high-bit rate h.264 720p from
Mammoth HD (starts with an image of the golden gate bridge I think).
It's full 720p 16:9 fill, not sure of bit-rate. It requires the
skiploopfilter.

Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla@4pi.com> wrote:
> >> Got some test clips? Be happy to try them.
> >>

> >Have you tried the sample which is floating around from the HD-PVR?
> >ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_clip/hd_pvr_clip/hcw_hd_pvr2_1080i_h264.ts
>
> That's h.264 wrapped in an mpeg2 transport stream. I can't even play
> that on my 2GHz MacBook. Something about needing to unwrap, demerge,
> remerge, kill a chicken, in order to play in MPlayer. It's not your
> standard h.264 format.

I can play it, but it stutters after a while. (and audio seems to only
be on the left side)

> Wall*E and Iron Man 720p Apple Trailer play fine without having to
> use the skiploopfiler. There's a high-bit rate h.264 720p from
> Mammoth HD (starts with an image of the golden gate bridge I think).
> It's full 720p 16:9 fill, not sure of bit-rate. It requires the
> skiploopfilter.

Where can you get this?
Re: AppleTV with Linux [ In reply to ]

http://trailers.apple.com