verified that I have installed the mscorefonts. So now what do I do?
Should I re-download the themes and reinstall them? Any suggestions?

Darryl
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
Darryl Hirschler wrote:
> The fonts just don’t look right in the Gray OSD theme. The letters
> overlap each other a little and generally look sloppy. It’s like they
> are either sized too big or the wrong font is being used. I have
> verified that I have installed the mscorefonts. So now what do I do?
> Should I re-download the themes and reinstall them? Any suggestions?

The Gray-OSD theme comes with DejaVuSans fonts. (Look in the directory
that contains the theme.) Make sure these are intalled.
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 11:19 AM, Darryl Hirschler wrote:

> The fonts just don’t look right in the Gray OSD theme. The letters
> overlap each other a little and generally look sloppy. It’s like they
> are either sized too big or the wrong font is being used. I have
> verified that I have installed the mscorefonts. So now what do I do?
> Should I re-download the themes and reinstall them? Any suggestions?

What version of Myth? Output of mythfrontend --version is most helpful.

Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth@dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> The Gray-OSD theme comes with DejaVuSans fonts. (Look in the directory
> that contains the theme.) Make sure these are intalled.

OK, how does one install them?

I tried adding /usr/share/mythtv/themes to /etc/fonts/local.conf

I can do fc-list | grep -i deja and it shows

DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans:style=Book

However, if I do xlsfonts | grep -i deja I get nothing.

I tried adding /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD to the FontPath in
xorg.conf but it gives an error about no fonts.dir file.

How do you install fonts?

btw I am using gentoo, mythfrontend --version gives ...

Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version : 16658
MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_frontend using_lirc
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 01:03 PM, James Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> The Gray-OSD theme comes with DejaVuSans fonts. (Look in the directory
>> that contains the theme.) Make sure these are intalled.
> OK, how does one install them?

They just have to be in the directory. Just make sure they're there.

Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 03/28/2008 01:03 PM, James Orr wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >> The Gray-OSD theme comes with DejaVuSans fonts. (Look in the directory
> >> that contains the theme.) Make sure these are intalled.
> > OK, how does one install them?
>
> They just have to be in the directory. Just make sure they're there.

They are in the directory.

Assuming "the directory" is /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD.

frontend Gray-OSD # ls -l *.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 119584 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 122496 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 135900 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans.ttf
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
James Orr wrote:

> They are in the directory.
>
> Assuming "the directory" is /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD.
>
> frontend Gray-OSD # ls -l *.ttf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 119584 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 122496 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 135900 Mar 20 02:53 DejaVuSans.ttf

Maybe your dpi is set wrong and you're using 0.20 or earlier?
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 01:10 PM, James Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> OK, how does one install them?
>>>
>> They just have to be in the directory. Just make sure they're there.
> They are in the directory.
>
> Assuming "the directory" is /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD.
Yep. Should have said that outright. Sorry.

But, that means it's installed right. So you're probably being bitten
by a known (but unidentified) issue (that's either an issue with your
configuration, your system libraries, your video drivers, or the font
itself--we still haven't identified it, but it doesn't seem to be a bug
in Myth).

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/295279#295279 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294597#294597 (the
link referenced within the previous link).

If you give me a link to a picture of the screen, I can tell you for
sure whether that's the problem. Or, you can follow the instructions in
the above posts and, if it fixes the symptom (ugly OSD fonts), it was
the problem.

Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 03/28/2008 01:10 PM, James Orr wrote:

> directory

> >> They just have to be in the directory. Just make sure they're there.
> > They are in the directory.
> >
> > Assuming "the directory" is /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD.
> Yep. Should have said that outright. Sorry.
>
> But, that means it's installed right. So you're probably being bitten
> by a known (but unidentified) issue (that's either an issue with your
> configuration, your system libraries, your video drivers, or the font
> itself--we still haven't identified it, but it doesn't seem to be a bug
> in Myth).
>
> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/295279#295279 and
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294597#294597 (the
> link referenced within the previous link).
>
> If you give me a link to a picture of the screen, I can tell you for
> sure whether that's the problem. Or, you can follow the instructions in
> the above posts and, if it fixes the symptom (ugly OSD fonts), it was
> the problem.

One point is that I'm just using 4:3 SD, not 16:9 HD as mentioned in those
posts.

I did comment out the fonts from osd.xml, and of course it works fine with
the default fonts.

I then went to try your experiment of copying the font files to ~/.mythtv
and changing the OSD font, however the fonts I copied do not show in the
list, only FreeSans.ttf, FreeSansBold.ttf and FreeMono.ttf.

I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xml of
course) ...

http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
> I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xml of
> course) ...
>
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png

Wow, that's nasty!

What X resolution are you running?
What QT version?

Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Greg Estabrooks <greg@phaze.org> wrote:

> > I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xmlof
> > course) ...
> >
> > http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
> > http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png
>

> Wow, that's nasty!
>

> What X resolution are you running?
> What QT version?

X resolution is 800x600
QT version is 3.3.8
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 02:14 PM, James Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> But, that means it's installed right. So you're probably being bitten
>> by a known (but unidentified) issue (that's either an issue with your
>> configuration, your system libraries, your video drivers, or the font
>> itself--we still haven't identified it, but it doesn't seem to be a bug
>> in Myth).
>>
>> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/295279#295279 and
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294597#294597 (the
>> link referenced within the previous link).
>>
>> If you give me a link to a picture of the screen, I can tell you for
>> sure whether that's the problem. Or, you can follow the instructions in
>> the above posts and, if it fixes the symptom (ugly OSD fonts), it was
>> the problem.
> One point is that I'm just using 4:3 SD, not 16:9 HD as mentioned in those
> posts.

Yeah. The aspect ratio really isn't what's important.

> I did comment out the fonts from osd.xml, and of course it works fine with
> the default fonts.
>
> I then went to try your experiment of copying the font files to ~/.mythtv
> and changing the OSD font, however the fonts I copied do not show in the
> list, only FreeSans.ttf, FreeSansBold.ttf and FreeMono.ttf.

I'd have to look at the code again to see how it's all being handled. I
think I needed someone with an affected system to test that or something
to get some info for me so we might be able to fix it. I'll try to look
at it this weekend after I return home and see if I can figure out what
I needed. Thanks for the feedback, though.

> I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xml of
> course) ...
>
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png

Yep. Same problem.

Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 02:31 PM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>> I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified osd.xml of
>> course) ...
>>
>> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
>> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png
>>
> Wow, that's nasty!
>

> What X resolution are you running?
> What QT version?

Oh, yeah. And I still would like to know Myth version (all output from
mythfrontend --version).

Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
I am very new to MythTV, about 2 weeks and still in the install phase, so I may not be much help. I have experienced the same issue. When I experienced the problem, I had changed the OSD font/size through the Setup. Leaving/changing I believe, "FreeMono.ttf" was the cause of this font problems. I found, I had to leave the Font and if I wanted to change how it's displayed I would have to change the XLM. Although I havent as of yet went that far in the the setup....

Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 03/28/2008 02:31 PM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> >> I did get screenshots of what it looks like (with the unmodified
> osd.xml of
> >> course) ...
> >>
> >> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen1.png
> >> http://www.orrwhat.net/screen2.png
> >>
> > Wow, that's nasty!
> >

> > What X resolution are you running?
> > What QT version?
>
> Oh, yeah. And I still would like to know Myth version (all output from
> mythfrontend --version).

I posted earlier, but here it is again ...

Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Richard Weber <weber_rich@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am very new to MythTV, about 2 weeks and still in the install phase, so
> I may not be much help. I have experienced the same issue. When I
> experienced the problem, I had changed the OSD font/size through the Setup.
> Leaving/changing I believe, "FreeMono.ttf" was the cause of this font
> problems. I found, I had to leave the Font and if I wanted to change how
> it's displayed I would have to change the XLM. Although I havent as of yet
> went that far in the the setup....

I had changed my default font to FreeSans.ttf, but switching it back to
FreeMono didn't make any difference for me.
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
On 03/28/2008 02:56 PM, James Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Richard Weber wrote:
>
>> I am very new to MythTV, about 2 weeks and still in the install phase, so
>> I may not be much help. I have experienced the same issue. When I
>> experienced the problem, I had changed the OSD font/size through the Setup.
>> Leaving/changing I believe, "FreeMono.ttf" was the cause of this font
>> problems. I found, I had to leave the Font and if I wanted to change how
>> it's displayed I would have to change the XLM. Although I havent as of yet
>> went that far in the the setup....
> I had changed my default font to FreeSans.ttf, but switching it back to
> FreeMono didn't make any difference for me.

I have changed mine back and forth from FreeSans.ttf to FreeMono.ttf and
it has worked for me both ways, but that's definitely an interesting
data point. I'll see how playing with the OSD font and OSD font sizes
affects things on my systems.

The main reason I haven't put much time into finding the fix is because
I've been completely unable to reproduce the problem. So, I hope this
allows me to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
I don't know how to capture the screen. I tried to do that and failed
because I believe the picture I want is in "overlay". All I get is a
black box.

Darryl

Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
Thanks for those screenshots. Also check out the '2' character.
Something is wrong with it. Mine looks the same as your screen caps.
Itallic lowercase 'L' looks like it's having problems too.

Darryl

________________________________

Re: Gray OSD fonts [ In reply to ]
BTW, I am using Mythtv ver 21 on Ubuntu 7.10. I don't believe screen
resolution made a difference, but currently I am running Myth at
640x480. It shows up in a smaller box in the upper left corner. I was
forced to go to that resolution after dealing with a slowdown issue I
had going fullscreen at 1280x1024*. After I connect up to a TV I will
set the resolution back to 0x0 and let it go fullscreen at 640x480 on
the second monitor (the TV).

*If I ran Myth fullscreen at 1280x1024, it would slow down by the second
day. Slowdown was like it took a full second to respond to keypresses.
I ran across a possible solution of changing the resolution to a smaller
number such as 800x600 or 640x480. I went with 640x480 since that is
going to be my TV resolution.

Darryl