My question: is there a way to completely hide recordings and all info about
them that are in (or scheduled to be in) password protected groups?

-Thanks
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Mar 17, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If i schedule a recording to go into a recording group that is
> password protected (ie. HBO Movies that are not kid friendly, etc),
> that part works fine. They can't see or view the recording without
> knowing the password to that group.
>
> But, they can go to upcomming recordings and see all recordings that
> will be done in that group, and they can go to previously recorded
> and see those as well, after they have recorded.
>
> My question: is there a way to completely hide recordings and all
> info about them that are in (or scheduled to be in) password
> protected groups?

Nope. There is a feature request to make MythTV multi-user, but it's a
ton of work. I don't think anyone has started on it, yet. At least,
not anywhere near ready to try out at all. It is on the list, though.
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
> If i schedule a recording to go into a recording group that is password
> protected (ie. HBO Movies that are not kid friendly, etc),

Did you really mean "Spice channel movies that are not wife friendly"?
Otherwise you also need to be able to hide the guide data so the kids
can't read the descriptions there, too.

--
Ron
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]

>> If i schedule a recording to go into a recording group that
>is password
>> protected (ie. HBO Movies that are not kid friendly, etc),
>
>Did you really mean "Spice channel movies that are not wife friendly"?
>Otherwise you also need to be able to hide the guide data so the kids
>can't read the descriptions there, too.
>

>--
>Ron

Ron, all wife friendly stuff lol

Basically, I'm looking for a way to separate myth to be multi user. I didn't
think about the guide part, but ya, that too I guess. Since we do a lot of
recording, it'd be nice to just see each person's own stuff. My wife doesn't
want to have to browse through all my stuff that is going to record, when
all she's looking for is Top Model and the like. Also, my mother in law (our
#1 babysitter) only speaks spanish, so all that english stuff is annoying
for her, would be easier to just show the spanish stuff. Some of my nieces
and nephews come over when my son is being babysat, and it'd be good to just
hide the adult stuff for reasons of sex, violence, etc etc. Some movies have
some non-kid friendly words just in the titles alone. The descriptions are
often worse.

It's not a huge deal, so if it's in the works, that's great. We can wait on
it. Would be a nice touch. I think it would really make each frontend seem
like it's own separate mythbox completely since ideally you'd be able to
specify what to see on it.
-Steve

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> It's not a huge deal, so if it's in the works, that's great. We can
> wait on
> it. Would be a nice touch. I think it would really make each
> frontend seem
> like it's own separate mythbox completely since ideally you'd be
> able to
> specify what to see on it.

Maybe you can ask Anastasiya Soboleva how it's going.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006#Make_Myth_Multi-user

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth@dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>
> > It's not a huge deal, so if it's in the works, that's great. We can
> > wait on
> > it. Would be a nice touch. I think it would really make each
> > frontend seem
> > like it's own separate mythbox completely since ideally you'd be
> > able to
> > specify what to see on it.
>
> Maybe you can ask Anastasiya Soboleva how it's going.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006#Make_Myth_Multi-user

Or at a minimum, perhaps a password protect anything rated R or above
option. Maybe I am just retarded, but on 0.20.2, I still havent figured out
how to make MythVideo hide my "Non Wife Aware" videos, unless you put in a
pin number first. (basically, cannot browse the group until correct pin
entered). This would be great for mythvideo (to start) and then maybe
ported over to recordings as well.

G rated disney movies (for my kid), and anything higher than PG, use a pin.
then my daughter can browse the hundreds of kids movies, but cannot see my
SAW, Hostel, 13 Ghosts, etc type of movies, and especially not the "should
require 2 pin numbers" type of um, videos I downloaded from then net. any
ideas if any of this exist yet without having full blown multi-user?
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:43 PM, James Gutshall Jr <warchildx@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Brad DerManouelian <
> myth@dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> >
> > > It's not a huge deal, so if it's in the works, that's great. We can
> > > wait on
> > > it. Would be a nice touch. I think it would really make each
> > > frontend seem
> > > like it's own separate mythbox completely since ideally you'd be
> > > able to
> > > specify what to see on it.
> >
> > Maybe you can ask Anastasiya Soboleva how it's going.
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/SoC2006#Make_Myth_Multi-user

> Or at a minimum, perhaps a password protect anything rated R or above
> option. Maybe I am just retarded, but on 0.20.2, I still havent figured
> out how to make MythVideo hide my "Non Wife Aware" videos, unless you put in
> a pin number first. (basically, cannot browse the group until correct pin
> entered). This would be great for mythvideo (to start) and then maybe
> ported over to recordings as well.
>
> G rated disney movies (for my kid), and anything higher than PG, use a
> pin. then my daughter can browse the hundreds of kids movies, but cannot
> see my SAW, Hostel, 13 Ghosts, etc type of movies, and especially not the
> "should require 2 pin numbers" type of um, videos I downloaded from then
> net. any ideas if any of this exist yet without having full blown
> multi-user?

That should be: Rated G/PG = OK... PG13 -> R = PIN, R+ = 2 pins!!! ;-)
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
In MythVideo (.20.2) set all your "educational material" to parental
group 4 in the Video Manager. Then in the Video Settings(Setup->Media
Settings->Video Settings->General Settings), set a Parental Control
PIN, and set the starting parental level to 1 (lowest). Also set
"Aggressive Parental Control" to on, to also protect these settings.
You should now have to use your PIN to also access the Video Manager.

Be aware, though, that it is a single PIN, and once authenticated, it
will allow you to change parental level (by pressing 1 through 4) as
much as you want until the default time has elapsed. You can set
multiple levels from 1 to 4, but pressing '2' for example will bring up
the PIN dialog, and on successful input, will change to level 2. But
until it times out, you can press any other number and move to that
level un-opposed. So keep that functionality to yourself if you have
material you don't want others to know about.

-Bonj

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Bonj <mythtv@bigfathooker.com> wrote:

> In MythVideo (.20.2) set all your "educational material" to parental
> group 4 in the Video Manager. Then in the Video Settings(Setup->Media
> Settings->Video Settings->General Settings), set a Parental Control
> PIN, and set the starting parental level to 1 (lowest). Also set
> "Aggressive Parental Control" to on, to also protect these settings.
> You should now have to use your PIN to also access the Video Manager.
>
> Be aware, though, that it is a single PIN, and once authenticated, it
> will allow you to change parental level (by pressing 1 through 4) as
> much as you want until the default time has elapsed. You can set
> multiple levels from 1 to 4, but pressing '2' for example will bring up
> the PIN dialog, and on successful input, will change to level 2. But
> until it times out, you can press any other number and move to that
> level un-opposed. So keep that functionality to yourself if you have
> material you don't want others to know about.
>
> -Bonj

Told you I must be retarded. I saw the options for the parental controls
and putting a pin but aparently am not grouping properly as you either had
to put in a pin to see anything, or no pin gave you everything.

I have noted you reponse and will try in a few days as I am getting ready to
rebuild my entire setup on 0.21 with a fresh database, and I will just dump
my videos, recording and relevent SQL into the new DB. I will try to get it
to work at that time. Thanks alot.

PS: Dont tell anyone I have "Non Wife Aware" related questions on my mythbox
;-) lol Not like everyone in the world just read my post from before...
arrgh.. Why dont I just shut up now.

PPS: What I meant to say was hypothetically, if someone wanted that type of
configuration... I mean, this "Friend I know" was asking me about...
Nevermind. lol.
--James
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]

It's not that we have material that we don't want others to know about, but
mainly looking for a way to separate the videos and keep them so that nobody
accidently deletes someone else's shows.
-thanks

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
hehe... that part was meant for the previous reply. Parental controls
probably aren't the best way to separate multiple user's files, as each
parental level can also see the levels below. In level 4 you can see all
files, but in level 2 you can only see level 1 and 2. I hope that makes
sense.

-Bonj

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
thats exactly what I am looking for.
Level 1 - no pin (Kids Stuff) G
Level 2 - no pin (normal movies) PG/PG13 maybe
Level 3 - pin required - group shows in movie list, but cannot browse the
group without a pin: Scary movies, etc.
Level 4 - Same as level 3, but with a different pin.

Does myth allow this, or can you only have 1 pin, and depending on what
level you assign determines view level?
--James

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM, James Gutshall Jr <warchildx@gmail.com>
wrote:

> thats exactly what I am looking for.
> Level 1 - no pin (Kids Stuff) G
> Level 2 - no pin (normal movies) PG/PG13 maybe
> Level 3 - pin required - group shows in movie list, but cannot browse the
> group without a pin: Scary movies, etc.
> Level 4 - Same as level 3, but with a different pin.
>
> Does myth allow this, or can you only have 1 pin, and depending on what
> level you assign determines view level?

You can set up individual pins as needed. I set up the PG movies for my son
and assigned a simple PIN for him. I also have a PIN for level 3 which only
my wife and I know. With 0.21, you can also enable automatic parental level
based on the rating of the movie when downloading info from IMDB.

/Brian/
Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian,

Which version of MythTV are you referring to? I can't find any reference
in the setup or in the database for multiple passwords in .20.2

-Bonj

Re: Can I Totally Hide Certain Recordings? [ In reply to ]
Bonj wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Which version of MythTV are you referring to? I can't find any reference
> in the setup or in the database for multiple passwords in .20.2

This is a new feature in 0.21

Michael