the time in dollars if that possible.)

Thanks,
Mitchell
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]

Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]

> No comments/suggestions??

Its not easy to calculate that. Your P4 is about the least green
processor you can buy the worst is only when it is running at full
speed with HT enabled. When it is running in power saving mode it
should not be so bad.

John
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Dec 21, 2007 5:43 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have see lots of posts about the Asus. People seem to use them with good
> success. I am upgraded my Mythbox due to getting tired of XvMC, lock up
> with IVTV, and no suspend. I want to do my research this time and am
> interested in a few things:

I have put together nearly 100 computers in the last 10 years using
various motherboard manufacturers at work and at home and of the
various manufacturers I have used, TYAN (for servers) and asus
(desktops) are the best I have used. I would include gigabyte in that
list but I only bought one of those. I would stay away from ECS,
asrock, fic, and FOXCONN as I each of these had their problems. A few
were DOA and others had quirky problems after in some time in use.

I actually have a few M2N boards ( not the same model the one you
pick) at work and they work very well. I am using two of these as file
servers using software raid 6. One using the 6 750GB Seagate 7200.10
drives and the other using 6 320GB Seagate 7000.10 drives.

John
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
The asus board works fine with ivtv and dual hauppauge 500's, but I
don't suspend and I run mythbuntu, so I don't know about that.

Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/22, Don Jerman <djerman@pobox.com>:
> The asus board works fine with ivtv and dual hauppauge 500's, but I
> don't suspend and I run mythbuntu, so I don't know about that.
>
> On Dec 21, 2007 5:43 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have see lots of posts about the Asus. People seem to use them with good
> > success. I am upgraded my Mythbox due to getting tired of XvMC, lock up
> > with IVTV, and no suspend. I want to do my research this time and am
> > interested in a few things:
> >
> > 1. Do any of these boards support Suspend out of the box with Fedora 8? S3
> > in particular
> > 2. Any issues with ivtv drivers? (my current board gets buffer error and
> > then it locks up)
> > 3. General suggestions/comments?
> >
> > On a side note. Currently i am running a P4 3.4Ghz. What power savings
> > will i get compared to a Athlon X2 5200 65nm? (assuming i leave it on all
> > the time in dollars if that possible.)

M2NPV-VM with 2 HDDs, PVR500, PVR150, on-board sound

Suspend to RAM (S3) is working now (I had problems with old kernels),
but I have to do following before suspending:
1. check if ivtv is busy ... unload ivtv and depending modules if not
busy or stop suspend if ivtv is busy
2. stop lircd and unload lirc modules
3. unload usb modules
4. set wake up time

@1: Unloading ivtv should not be needed, but I sometimes got errors
after waking up
@3: If I do not unload usb modules, mythbox wakes up after one second
@2: I am unloading lirc modules because of unloaded usb modules
(remote's ir-receiver is connected to usb)

the problem with this process is that I have to restart mythfrontend
after waking up, because mythfrontend looses contact to lirc if it is
restarted. but I do not mind restarting mythfrontend, is just takes a
few seconds.

all together: suspending in 2-3 seconds ... waking up in 7-8 seconds
(longer because of restarting mythfrontend).
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
Ma Begaj wrote:

> M2NPV-VM with 2 HDDs, PVR500, PVR150, on-board sound
>
> Suspend to RAM (S3) is working now (I had problems with old kernels),
> but I have to do following before suspending:
> 1. check if ivtv is busy ... unload ivtv and depending modules if not
> busy or stop suspend if ivtv is busy
> 2. stop lircd and unload lirc modules
> 3. unload usb modules
> 4. set wake up time
>

> @1: Unloading ivtv should not be needed, but I sometimes got errors
> after waking up
> @3: If I do not unload usb modules, mythbox wakes up after one second
> @2: I am unloading lirc modules because of unloaded usb modules
> (remote's ir-receiver is connected to usb)
>
> the problem with this process is that I have to restart mythfrontend
> after waking up, because mythfrontend looses contact to lirc if it is
> restarted. but I do not mind restarting mythfrontend, is just takes a
> few seconds.
>
> all together: suspending in 2-3 seconds ... waking up in 7-8 seconds
> (longer because of restarting mythfrontend).

What kernel and lirc versions are you using?

I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
using S3 suspend.
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/22, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> Ma Begaj wrote:
>
> > M2NPV-VM with 2 HDDs, PVR500, PVR150, on-board sound
> >
> > Suspend to RAM (S3) is working now (I had problems with old kernels),
> > but I have to do following before suspending:
> > 1. check if ivtv is busy ... unload ivtv and depending modules if not
> > busy or stop suspend if ivtv is busy
> > 2. stop lircd and unload lirc modules
> > 3. unload usb modules
> > 4. set wake up time
> >

> > @1: Unloading ivtv should not be needed, but I sometimes got errors
> > after waking up
> > @3: If I do not unload usb modules, mythbox wakes up after one second
> > @2: I am unloading lirc modules because of unloaded usb modules
> > (remote's ir-receiver is connected to usb)
> >
> > the problem with this process is that I have to restart mythfrontend
> > after waking up, because mythfrontend looses contact to lirc if it is
> > restarted. but I do not mind restarting mythfrontend, is just takes a
> > few seconds.
> >
> > all together: suspending in 2-3 seconds ... waking up in 7-8 seconds
> > (longer because of restarting mythfrontend).
>
> What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
>
> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> using S3 suspend.

Hi Paul,

we already had this discussion once, but situation did not change. I
am using 2.6.23.8 SMP. difference between our systems is (as I can
remember) that you have diskless system and I have BE/FE in the same
box with two HDDs and PVR500/150.

lirc is not a problem (0.8.3pre and cvs), because it just depends on
usb which is causing this complicated process before suspending. if I
unload usb modules, lirc stops working, because IR-receiver is hanging
on usb port.

I tested a lot of combinations, but the mythbox wakes up after a
second no matter what I do. only unloading usb module(s) helps.

hmmm ... an idea just came to my mind :) ... LCD display which is
built in the case is connected to USB port ... this might be causing
the problem, because mythlcdserver and LCDd daemon are communicating
with the display until suspend.

edit: I just checked it ... LCDd daemon is not causing this.

if you have some suggestions, don't be shy :)
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Dec 22, 2007 12:58 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/22, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> > Ma Begaj wrote:
> >
> > > M2NPV-VM with 2 HDDs, PVR500, PVR150, on-board sound
> > >
> > > Suspend to RAM (S3) is working now (I had problems with old kernels),
> > > but I have to do following before suspending:
> > > 1. check if ivtv is busy ... unload ivtv and depending modules if not
> > > busy or stop suspend if ivtv is busy
> > > 2. stop lircd and unload lirc modules
> > > 3. unload usb modules
> > > 4. set wake up time
> > >

> > > @1: Unloading ivtv should not be needed, but I sometimes got errors
> > > after waking up
> > > @3: If I do not unload usb modules, mythbox wakes up after one second
> > > @2: I am unloading lirc modules because of unloaded usb modules
> > > (remote's ir-receiver is connected to usb)
> > >
> > > the problem with this process is that I have to restart mythfrontend
> > > after waking up, because mythfrontend looses contact to lirc if it is
> > > restarted. but I do not mind restarting mythfrontend, is just takes a
> > > few seconds.
> > >
> > > all together: suspending in 2-3 seconds ... waking up in 7-8 seconds
> > > (longer because of restarting mythfrontend).
> >
> > What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
> >
> > I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> > remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> > no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> > using S3 suspend.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> we already had this discussion once, but situation did not change. I
> am using 2.6.23.8 SMP. difference between our systems is (as I can
> remember) that you have diskless system and I have BE/FE in the same
> box with two HDDs and PVR500/150.
>
> lirc is not a problem (0.8.3pre and cvs), because it just depends on
> usb which is causing this complicated process before suspending. if I
> unload usb modules, lirc stops working, because IR-receiver is hanging
> on usb port.
>
> I tested a lot of combinations, but the mythbox wakes up after a
> second no matter what I do. only unloading usb module(s) helps.
>
> hmmm ... an idea just came to my mind :) ... LCD display which is
> built in the case is connected to USB port ... this might be causing
> the problem, because mythlcdserver and LCDd daemon are communicating
> with the display until suspend.
>
> edit: I just checked it ... LCDd daemon is not causing this.
>
> if you have some suggestions, don't be shy :)

Is it possible to wake via USB? It would be nice to have power via remote.
I use the MCE USB remote also.

Thanks for the responses! Keep em' coming
Mitchell
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/22, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 22, 2007 12:58 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
> > >
> > > I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> > > remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> > > no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> > > using S3 suspend.
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > we already had this discussion once, but situation did not change. I
> > am using 2.6.23.8 SMP. difference between our systems is (as I can
> > remember) that you have diskless system and I have BE/FE in the same
> > box with two HDDs and PVR500/150.
> >
> > lirc is not a problem (0.8.3pre and cvs), because it just depends on
> > usb which is causing this complicated process before suspending. if I
> > unload usb modules, lirc stops working, because IR-receiver is hanging
> > on usb port.
> >
> > I tested a lot of combinations, but the mythbox wakes up after a
> > second no matter what I do. only unloading usb module(s) helps.
> >
> > hmmm ... an idea just came to my mind :) ... LCD display which is
> > built in the case is connected to USB port ... this might be causing
> > the problem, because mythlcdserver and LCDd daemon are communicating
> > with the display until suspend.
> >
> > edit: I just checked it ... LCDd daemon is not causing this.
> >
> > if you have some suggestions, don't be shy :)

> Is it possible to wake via USB? It would be nice to have power via remote.
> I use the MCE USB remote also.
>
> Thanks for the responses! Keep em' coming

Yes it is. It wakes up from S3 (suspend to ram), S4 (suspend to disk)
or S5 (power off). Only the power button from the MCE remote can
usually wake up the box
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/22, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> Ma Begaj wrote:
>
> > M2NPV-VM with 2 HDDs, PVR500, PVR150, on-board sound
> >
> > Suspend to RAM (S3) is working now (I had problems with old kernels),
> > but I have to do following before suspending:
> > 1. check if ivtv is busy ... unload ivtv and depending modules if not
> > busy or stop suspend if ivtv is busy
> > 2. stop lircd and unload lirc modules
> > 3. unload usb modules
> > 4. set wake up time
> >

> > @1: Unloading ivtv should not be needed, but I sometimes got errors
> > after waking up
> > @3: If I do not unload usb modules, mythbox wakes up after one second
> > @2: I am unloading lirc modules because of unloaded usb modules
> > (remote's ir-receiver is connected to usb)
> >
> > the problem with this process is that I have to restart mythfrontend
> > after waking up, because mythfrontend looses contact to lirc if it is
> > restarted. but I do not mind restarting mythfrontend, is just takes a
> > few seconds.
> >
> > all together: suspending in 2-3 seconds ... waking up in 7-8 seconds
> > (longer because of restarting mythfrontend).
>
> What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
>
> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> using S3 suspend.

Hi Paul,

could you maybe send me your kernel .config file. I believe that my
config is ok, but I maybe turned on/off something what I do (not)
need.

Thanks.
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 12:58 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com

> Is it possible to wake via USB? It would be nice to have power via
> remote. I use the MCE USB remote also.
>
> Thanks for the responses! Keep em' coming
> Mitchell

As was said already this does work. There are two things that you will
need to do.

First, you will need to enable it on the motherboard. This is either
through a jumper (as in the case of the ASUS motherboard) or the BIOS.

Second, you will need to enable it Linux. If it is not already enabled,
this is done by

/bin/echo ${device} > /proc/acpi/wakeup

where ${device} is the USB controller to which the remote's IR receiver
is connected. You can check whether or not it is enabled already using

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2007/12/22, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
>>
>> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
>> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
>> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
>> using S3 suspend.
>
> could you maybe send me your kernel .config file. I believe that my
> config is ok, but I maybe turned on/off something what I do (not)
> need.

Done. They can also be found in the MiniMyth GAR build system tarball at
<http://linpvr.org/minimyth/>.
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Mitch Gore wrote:

> I have see lots of posts about the Asus. People seem to use them
> with good success. I am upgraded my Mythbox due to getting tired
> of XvMC, lock up with IVTV, and no suspend. I want to do my
> research this time and am interested in a few things:
>
> 1. Do any of these boards support Suspend out of the box with
> Fedora 8? S3
> in particular
> 2. Any issues with ivtv drivers? (my current board gets buffer error and
> then it locks up)
> 3. General suggestions/comments?
>
> On a side note. Currently i am running a P4 3.4Ghz. What power
> savings will i get compared to a Athlon X2 5200 65nm? (assuming i
> leave it on all the time in dollars if that possible.)

I'm running a diskless frontend (using minimyth) on the Asus
board. Suspend to ram works, as well as resume via the MCE
remote. Power usage when idle (for the entire system) is 42w,
increasing to 48w when playing SDTV

/Jeppe

Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Dec 22, 2007 1:09 PM, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Ma Begaj wrote:

> What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
>
> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> using S3 suspend.

I am thinking about moving up to this as well.
Currently I am using the M2NPV-VM on kernel 2.6.18.1, Myth 0.20.2,
lirc 0.8.1, ivtv 0.8.1, Hauppauge PVR-500.

I was thinking of moving up too the 2.6.23.12 kernel so that I can get
the suspend stuff working.

Things have changed in the 2.6.23 kernel with regards to ivtv.
From the ivtvdriver page (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto):
***
Kernel configuration

This sections is split in 2 sections as ivtv was merged in mainling
kernel in version 2.6.22. Because of this kernel confirguration got a
whole lot simpler. The ivtv-fb module for the pvr-350 has not been
merged into mainline yet. And will have to be compiled from source.

It is recommended to compile all as modules. Ivtv will not be able to
load the firmware (yet) if it is build in!!
***

So I was wondering what you downloaded and compiled for this.

TIA,
Dave
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
David Fishburn wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 1:09 PM, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com> wrote:
>> Ma Begaj wrote:

>> What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
>>
>> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
>> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
>> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
>> using S3 suspend.
>
> I am thinking about moving up to this as well.
> Currently I am using the M2NPV-VM on kernel 2.6.18.1, Myth 0.20.2,
> lirc 0.8.1, ivtv 0.8.1, Hauppauge PVR-500.
>
> I was thinking of moving up too the 2.6.23.12 kernel so that I can get
> the suspend stuff working.
>
> Things have changed in the 2.6.23 kernel with regards to ivtv.
> From the ivtvdriver page (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto):
> ***
> Kernel configuration
>
> This sections is split in 2 sections as ivtv was merged in mainling
> kernel in version 2.6.22. Because of this kernel confirguration got a
> whole lot simpler. The ivtv-fb module for the pvr-350 has not been
> merged into mainline yet. And will have to be compiled from source.
>
> It is recommended to compile all as modules. Ivtv will not be able to
> load the firmware (yet) if it is build in!!
> ***
>
> So I was wondering what you downloaded and compiled for this.

I have a backend and three diskless frontends.

Since the backend is running on our home server, it is always on. The
home server runs CentOS 5.1. It has the stock CentOS 2.6.18 kernel, and
the MythTV and ivtv packages from ATrpms.

The frontends do not need the ivtv drivers. They run MiniMyth. It has
the 2.6.23.12 kernel, MythTV 0.20.2 fixes through 15087, LIRC CVS
20071217Z, and no ivtv drivers.
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/24, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 22, 2007 1:09 PM, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com> wrote:
> > Ma Begaj wrote:

> > What kernel and lirc versions are you using?
> >
> > I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> > remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> > no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> > using S3 suspend.
>
> I am thinking about moving up to this as well.
> Currently I am using the M2NPV-VM on kernel 2.6.18.1, Myth 0.20.2,
> lirc 0.8.1, ivtv 0.8.1, Hauppauge PVR-500.
>
> I was thinking of moving up too the 2.6.23.12 kernel so that I can get
> the suspend stuff working.
>
> Things have changed in the 2.6.23 kernel with regards to ivtv.
> From the ivtvdriver page (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto):
> ***
> Kernel configuration
>
> This sections is split in 2 sections as ivtv was merged in mainling
> kernel in version 2.6.22. Because of this kernel confirguration got a
> whole lot simpler. The ivtv-fb module for the pvr-350 has not been
> merged into mainline yet. And will have to be compiled from source.
>
> It is recommended to compile all as modules. Ivtv will not be able to
> load the firmware (yet) if it is build in!!
> ***
>
> So I was wondering what you downloaded and compiled for this.

I am using latest modules from v4-dvb repository.
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2007/12/23, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> Ma Begaj wrote:
> > 2007/12/22, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> >>
> >> I am using a ASUS M2NPV-VM (BIOS version 1001) with a Microsoft MCE
> >> remote reciever and running kernel 2.6.23.12 and lirc 0.8.3pre3. I have
> >> no need to stop lirc, unload lirc modules or unload usb modules when
> >> using S3 suspend.
> >
> > could you maybe send me your kernel .config file. I believe that my
> > config is ok, but I maybe turned on/off something what I do (not)
> > need.
>
> Done. They can also be found in the MiniMyth GAR build system tarball at
> <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/>.

I decided to spend the energy which I got through the christmas dinner
by testing your config. I had no real success, because there were no
big differences between the configs. I also did not believe that the
cause is hidden in kernel.

I check the USB wakeup jumpers on the motherboard and disabled them
all. But still no success, the system did not want to go to sleep when
ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd were loaded.

I tried the last idea I had... I disabled all USB ports in
/proc/acpi/wakeup ... and ..... the winner was this idea :)

It came to my mind, that jumpers and USB ports in /proc/acpi/wakeup
can stay disabled, because I am using Antec Fusion Black case. the
case has built in LCD and IR receiver and both of these are getting
their power not from USB port but directly from the power supply
(separated cable). IR receiver does not wake the system through USB
but directly through power switch.

and probably the power from power supply woke up the system right
after starting standby. waking up stopped after disabling USB ports in
/proc/acpi/wakeup, but the remote is still able to wake up the system.

well, the situation is that I do not have to rmmod ohci-hcd and
ehci-hcd, but my remote still does not work after waking up. I am not
using lirc_mceusb2 like you but lirc_imon. According to syslog, it is
not able to resume after standby:

Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Dec 24, 2007 7:18 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/23, Paul Bender <pebender@san.rr.com>:
> > Ma Begaj wrote:

> have
> > >
> > > could you maybe send me your kernel .config file. I believe that my
> > > config is ok, but I maybe turned on/off something what I do (not)
> > > need.
> >
> > Done. They can also be found in the MiniMyth GAR build system tarball at
> > <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/>.
>
> I decided to spend the energy which I got through the christmas dinner
> by testing your config. I had no real success, because there were no
> big differences between the configs. I also did not believe that the
> cause is hidden in kernel.
>
> I check the USB wakeup jumpers on the motherboard and disabled them
> all. But still no success, the system did not want to go to sleep when
> ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd were loaded.
>
> I tried the last idea I had... I disabled all USB ports in
> /proc/acpi/wakeup ... and ..... the winner was this idea :)
>

> It came to my mind, that jumpers and USB ports in /proc/acpi/wakeup
> can stay disabled, because I am using Antec Fusion Black case. the
> case has built in LCD and IR receiver and both of these are getting
> their power not from USB port but directly from the power supply
> (separated cable). IR receiver does not wake the system through USB
> but directly through power switch.
>
> and probably the power from power supply woke up the system right
> after starting standby. waking up stopped after disabling USB ports in
> /proc/acpi/wakeup, but the remote is still able to wake up the system.
>

> well, the situation is that I do not have to rmmod ohci-hcd and
> ehci-hcd, but my remote still does not work after waking up. I am not
> using lirc_mceusb2 like you but lirc_imon. According to syslog, it is
> not able to resume after standby:
>
> ----------
> Dec 25 00:37:51 mythbox kernel: lirc_imon 2-7:1.0: no resume for
> driver lirc_imon?

Ok, so i bought the Asus board. I am wanted to get suspend to work. What
is required? This is my setup..

NO PCI cards
using onboard video
MCE USB remote
Sata HDD drivers.
FC8 updated

Currently the computer "suspends" but when i push the power button i never
see anything on my monitor.

[root@mythtv acpi]# cat sleep
S0 S3 S4 S5
[root@mythtv acpi]# cat wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
HUB0 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:10.0
XVRA S5 disabled
XVRB S5 disabled
XVRC S5 disabled
PS2M S4 disabled pnp:00:09
PS2K S4 disabled pnp:00:0a
USB0 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0b.0
USB2 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0b.1
AZAD S5 disabled pci:0000:00:10.1
MMAC S5 disabled pci:0000:00:14.0
MMCI S5 disabled
[root@mythtv acpi]#

Thanks.
Mitchell
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
Mitch Gore wrote:

> Ok, so i bought the Asus board. I am wanted to get suspend to work.
> What is required? This is my setup..
>
> NO PCI cards
> using onboard video
> MCE USB remote
> Sata HDD drivers.
> FC8 updated
>
> Currently the computer "suspends" but when i push the power button i
> never see anything on my monitor.
>
> [root@mythtv acpi]# cat sleep
> S0 S3 S4 S5
> [root@mythtv acpi]# cat wakeup
> Device S-state Status Sysfs node
> HUB0 S5 disabled pci:0000:00:10.0
> XVRA S5 disabled
> XVRB S5 disabled
> XVRC S5 disabled
> PS2M S4 disabled pnp:00:09
> PS2K S4 disabled pnp:00:0a
> USB0 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0b.0
> USB2 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0b.1
> AZAD S5 disabled pci:0000:00:10.1
> MMAC S5 disabled pci:0000:00: 14.0
> MMCI S5 disabled
> [root@mythtv acpi]#

For wakeup to work, the USB host controller device (either USB0 or USB2)
to which your MCE USB remote receiver is connected must be enabled in
/proc/acpi/wakeup. You can do this using

echo ${device} > /proc/acpi/wakeup

where ${device} is the USB host controller device. You could do it for
both USB0 and USB2.

Additionally, you need to have the motherboard jumper for USB host
controller set so that it gets power during S3.

Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Jan 2, 2008 10:29 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008 12:47 AM, Rick Steeves <rick@sinister.net> wrote:
>

> > >Ok, so i bought the Asus board. I am wanted to get suspend to
> > >work. What is required? This is my setup..
> > >
> > >NO PCI cards
> > >using onboard video
> > >MCE USB remote
> > >Sata HDD drivers.
> > >FC8 updated
> >

> > I've got this same board with the PVR 350 and have had a nightmare of
> > a time getting it working. the thing you might be able to help me
> > understand is, how are you getting TV _into_ the system?
> >
> > thx!
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > Rick Steeves
> > rick@sinister.net http://www.sinister.net
> >
> > A bicycle sails aim-irelandbybicycle
> > On an ocean of freedom yahoo-ricksteeves
> > I am the captain msn-msdn@corwyn.net
> >

> Right now i am just using the HDHomeRun over ethernet. I do have a
> PVR-150 but am not using it currently.
>
> Mitchell

I changed the wakeup file so the USB lines are enabled. I still have the
same issue tho. The comp goes to sleep fine but it wont wake up. I have to
do a hard reset to get the display to show anything.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Mitchell
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Mitch Gore wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008 10:29 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > I've got this same board with the PVR 350 and have had a
> > > nightmare of a time getting it working. the thing you might be
> > > able to help me understand is, how are you getting TV _into_ the
> > > system?
> > >
> > > thx!
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >

> > > Rick Steeves rick@sinister.net http://www.sinister.net> > A
> > > bicycle sails aim-irelandbybicycle On an ocean of freedom
> > > yahoo-ricksteeves I am the captain msn-msdn@corwyn.net
> > >

> > Right now i am just using the HDHomeRun over ethernet. I do have
> > a PVR-150 but am not using it currently.
> >
> > Mitchell
> >

> I changed the wakeup file so the USB lines are enabled. I still
> have the same issue tho. The comp goes to sleep fine but it wont
> wake up. I have to do a hard reset to get the display to show
> anything.

It's not clear from the above posts, but can you resume by pressing
the power button? This would be the first thing to get working.

If you try to resume from an MCE (or any other USB
device) you need to change the jumpers on the motherboard, so power is
supplied to the USB ports during S3.

/Jeppe
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Jan 4, 2008 2:53 PM, Jeppe N. Madsen <jeppe@ingolfs.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Mitch Gore wrote:
>
> > On Jan 2, 2008 10:29 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Right now i am just using the HDHomeRun over ethernet. I do have
> > > a PVR-150 but am not using it currently.
> > >
> > > Mitchell
> > >

> > I changed the wakeup file so the USB lines are enabled. I still
> > have the same issue tho. The comp goes to sleep fine but it wont
> > wake up. I have to do a hard reset to get the display to show
> > anything.
>
> It's not clear from the above posts, but can you resume by pressing
> the power button? This would be the first thing to get working.
>
> If you try to resume from an MCE (or any other USB
> device) you need to change the jumpers on the motherboard, so power is
> supplied to the USB ports during S3.
>
> /Jeppe

I have moved the jumpers but i still cant get video on resume. I have tried
pushing the power button to wake the comp. I hear the drives spin up and
all but the video card never starts. I am thinking i need to unload nvidia
drivers then reload them. How would I do that? Or am i just flat out wrong
on this idea? If so PLEASE point me in the right direction. I spent the
$$$ on hardware hoping it would work and it appears i have not made much of
an upgrade.

Thanks,
Mitchell
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
2008/1/6, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com>:
> On Jan 4, 2008 2:53 PM, Jeppe N. Madsen <jeppe@ingolfs.dk> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Mitch Gore wrote:

> > > I changed the wakeup file so the USB lines are enabled. I still
> > > have the same issue tho. The comp goes to sleep fine but it wont
> > > wake up. I have to do a hard reset to get the display to show
> > > anything.
> >
> > It's not clear from the above posts, but can you resume by pressing
> > the power button? This would be the first thing to get working.
> >
> > If you try to resume from an MCE (or any other USB
> > device) you need to change the jumpers on the motherboard, so power is
> > supplied to the USB ports during S3.
> >
> > /Jeppe

> I have moved the jumpers but i still cant get video on resume. I have tried
> pushing the power button to wake the comp. I hear the drives spin up and
> all but the video card never starts. I am thinking i need to unload nvidia
> drivers then reload them. How would I do that? Or am i just flat out wrong
> on this idea? If so PLEASE point me in the right direction. I spent the
> $$$ on hardware hoping it would work and it appears i have not made much of
> an upgrade.

you cannot unload nvidia module if X (mythfrontend) is running.

you can enable ACPI debugging in kernel and check /var/log/messages
and syslog for more information.

1. enable PM_DEBUG, and PM_TRACE
2. run "echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace" to enable debugging
3. run "echo mem > /sys/power/state" to start suspend

try to use s2ram with some params like "s2ram -f -a 3" instead of
"echo mem > /sys/power/state" because s2ram have some smaller
improvements built in. check s2ram homepage for all params
combination

check the logs after crash.
Re: ASUS M2NPV-VM or GIGABYTE GA-M68SM-S2 [ In reply to ]
On Jan 5, 2008 5:41 PM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/1/6, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore@gmail.com>:

> > > It's not clear from the above posts, but can you resume by pressing
> > > the power button? This would be the first thing to get working.
> > >
> > > If you try to resume from an MCE (or any other USB
> > > device) you need to change the jumpers on the motherboard, so power is
> > > supplied to the USB ports during S3.
> > >
> > > /Jeppe

> > I have moved the jumpers but i still cant get video on resume. I have
> tried
> > pushing the power button to wake the comp. I hear the drives spin up
> and
> > all but the video card never starts. I am thinking i need to unload
> nvidia
> > drivers then reload them. How would I do that? Or am i just flat out
> wrong
> > on this idea? If so PLEASE point me in the right direction. I spent
> the
> > $$$ on hardware hoping it would work and it appears i have not made much
> of
> > an upgrade.
> >

> you cannot unload nvidia module if X (mythfrontend) is running.
>

> you can enable ACPI debugging in kernel and check /var/log/messages
> and syslog for more information.
>
> 1. enable PM_DEBUG, and PM_TRACE
> 2. run "echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace" to enable debugging
> 3. run "echo mem > /sys/power/state" to start suspend
>
> try to use s2ram with some params like "s2ram -f -a 3" instead of
> "echo mem > /sys/power/state" because s2ram have some smaller
> improvements built in. check s2ram homepage for all params
> combination
>
> check the logs after crash.

Here is what i get when enabled pm_trace:
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Stopping tasks ... done.
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Suspending console(s)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Stopping disk
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: lirc_mceusb2[2]: suspend
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:10.1disabled
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:0f.0disabled
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:0e.0disabled
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:0b.1disabled
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:0b.0disabled
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: NVRM: RmPowerManagement: 3
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Broke affinity for irq 21
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU 1 is now offline
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU1 is down
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Extended CMOS year: 2000
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Extended CMOS year: 2000
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: SMP alternatives: switching to SMP code
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Booting processor 1/2 APIC 0x1
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Initializing CPU#1
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Calibrating delay using timer specific
routine.. 5411.51 BogoMIPS (lpj=2705756)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache
64K (64 bytes/line)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU 1/1 -> Node 0
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU: Processor Core ID: 1
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
5200+ stepping 02
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: CPU1 is up
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device
[ffff810037a629a0] 'off'
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: NVRM: RmPowerManagement: 4
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0b.0[A] -> Link
[APCF] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0b.1[B] -> Link
[APCL] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0e.0[A] -> Link
[APSI] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[A] -> Link
[APSJ] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:10.1[B] -> Link
[AAZA] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:08.0[A] -> Link
[APC1] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: pnp: Failed to activate device 00:09.
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: pnp: Failed to activate device 00:0a.
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123
SControl 300)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware
sectors (500108 MB)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read
cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113
SControl 300)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 234375000 512-byte hardware
sectors (120000 MB)
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read
cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/66
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: lirc_mceusb2[2]: resume
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Starting disk
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Starting disk
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv kernel: Restarting tasks ... done.
Dec 6 06:23:25 mythtv acpid: client connected from 2782[0:0]

When making that change instead of the box going to sleep then not getting
video display. It starts to go to sleep then before its all the way done it
starts up and i get video.

Do i need to unload modules before I suspend to mem?

Again this is a x86-64bit Fedora 8 install.

Thanks,
Mitchell

1 2  View All