I have followed those instructions, and tried the latest v4l-dvb
sources. I have a single tuner Nova-T card in the same box as well, and
that works fine. I can't think of any logical reason for the first not
working and the second being fine!

Also, is it just me on the radio times XMLTV source not getting anything
past Dec 31st?

Thanks

Ben
Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
On Dec 27, 2007 4:50 PM, Ben Firshman <ben@firshman.co.uk> wrote:

> Seemingly completely randomly, the first tuner on my Nova-T 500 card
> can't get a lock on any channel, but the second can. Well, it works for
> a while if I restart my mythtv box, then just stops getting a lock after
> a few hours/days.

I've got a similar problem. Often MythTV fails to lock onto a channel.
Restarting mythtv-backend fixes the problem.

When this happens, the Live TV screen shows "(l--)" instead of "(LMS)".

I haven't really looked at this in detail yet, but it looks like it could be
related to EIT scanning. Are you using EIT as well as XMLTV? I'm using EIT
on both my tuners, and they both fail to lock onto channels. If you're only
using EIT on Tuner 1, that could be the problem.

Are you getting lots of errors about MT2060? If I type "dmesg | grep mt2060"
in the console I get lots of entries like:

[735440.608000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.616000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.624000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.632000] mt2060 I2C read failed
[735440.640000] mt2060 I2C read failed

I was going to try disabling EIT and setting up XMLTV instead, but I think
I'll wait until Radio Times sort out their listings!

I'll also try to put together a script which restarts the backend if none of
the tuners are being used. Running this every half hour or so might be OK as
a workaround. I'll let you know what happens.

Olly
Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
Yes, restarting the backend fixes the problem for me. (l--) is
displayed too. Sounds like a similar thing.

I have EIT enabled for the radio channels, but I have disabled the
first tuner, so I've no idea which tuner it's using for EIT at the
moment, presumably the second, but that works fine.

I get none of those messages you're getting, but I do have a lot of:

[440643.580000] DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the
driver

Is that anything to be worried about I wonder?

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
On Dec 30, 2007 1:48 PM, Ben Firshman <ben@firshman.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, restarting the backend fixes the problem for me. (l--) is
> displayed too. Sounds like a similar thing.

Ben -

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Seriously!

The firmware only gets copied to the TV card when the card is in a "cold"
state. To get into a cold state you have to power down for a while - at
least a few seconds. Just rebooting won't do it. Your card may have
out-of-date firmware loaded on it.

The other day, I shut down my PC, removed the power cord (just to be sure)
and went to bed. In the morning I powered up again, and Myth has now been
running without any problems *all year*!

Olly
Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:15:18PM +0000, Oliver Maunder wrote:
> The other day, I shut down my PC, removed the power cord (just to be sure)
> and went to bed. In the morning I powered up again, and Myth has now been
> running without any problems *all year*!

Wow!

Now THAT'S what I call RELIABILITY.

:-)

Seriously, though, "pull the power cord and wait 2 minutes" helps more
often than you'd expect it ought to.

Alternatively, you can pull the cord (/flip the rocker switch) and then
(try to) power on the machine, which will also drain out all the caps...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA
Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
I did try that a while ago. Maybe I should try it again!

It still makes no sense why the 1st tuner should not work while the
second does though.

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
Left it to rest for 10 minutes unplugged, then reenabled the tuner.
Interestingly enough, now the first tuner is working fine and the
second tuner has stopped working. It appears to be not the 1st in
particular.

What determines the tuner used for EIT data? Maybe that is indeed
causing it.

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
Any thoughts/suggestions? I have just had our aerial realigned, I'll
try enabling it again for a bit. Unlikely, but it might have actually
been a tuning problem as the "(l--)" message implies.

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
No suggestions but same kind of problems.

My problem is related to all channels from one MUX where the first tuner
signal strength is about 55% and it can't lock -> no picture.
I changed to use second tuner which gets signal strength 86% -> lock and
working.

With another MUXes first tuner works fine.

What have I done so far.
- Added all 3 patches mentioned in wikipage. (stream, freq, kehycodes)
- Tried with and without EIT, normally EIT is in use
- coldboot
- rescanned channels
- using only second tuner -> worked ok

--
Mikko

Ben Firshman:

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
Signal strenght on my nova-t500 is always between 55 and 65 except for a few
channels that are 100%.
My card has had disconnect problems but hopefully the streaming patch will
solve that, anyway what frequencies are
the bad MUX at ?

/Henrik

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
I upgraded to SVN a few days ago and enabled all my tuners. So far, I
haven't noticed any problems, I will let you know if a tuner dies
again. SVN probably fixes the issue, so try it if you dare! 0.21
doesn't seem that far off anyway, so you could just wait.

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
RE: First tuner stops working, in Mythweb "0B" is displayed in the file size
and no screen shot is avaliable.
In the console (dmesg) I get a mix of:

mt2060 I2C read failed
mt2060 I2C write failed

Oliver Maunder-3 wrote:

> but it looks like it could be related to EIT scanning.
> In the console I get lots of entries like:
>
> [735440.608000] mt2060 I2C read failed
>
> I was going to try disabling EIT and setting up XMLTV instead, but I think
> I'll wait until Radio Times sort out their listings!

After reading this I changed my setting in the Mythbackend - Sources to "No
Grabber"
It has now been running for a week with no missed recording.
So I changed it back to the EIT Data source, waited an hour, and "mt2060 I2C
read failed" was reported in the console.
Currently I am manually updating the guide by turning on and off the EIT
data in the sources to work around the problem.
There must be a bug here some where? I was going to have a channel tidy up,
It could be trying to tune in to a channel that has no or invalid data.
Possibly an encrypted channel. I no very little about how this works, but
you are on to something here. Thanks for the post.
Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
mt2060 I2C read failed
mt2060 I2C write failed

Is a known issue with the Nova-T 500, there is ongoing work on the issue and
there has been a few patches the last weeks.
Bad reception and EIT scanning can provoke the problem, but with the latest
firmware the problem seems to occur only with bad reception.
Hopefully the latest patches will have this solved once and for all, people
are still testing this.

IIRC only the write fail is fatal, though someone on this list had a retry
patch for this.

One workaround is to have a script that monitors and restarts the backend
when this happens, might have to do more, my memory is bad.

Look at the wiki and the linux-dvb mailinglist for more info.

/Henrik

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 08:37 +0100, Henrik Beckman wrote:
> mt2060 I2C read failed
> mt2060 I2C write failed
>
> Is a known issue with the Nova-T 500, there is ongoing work on the
> issue and there has been a few patches the last weeks.
> Bad reception and EIT scanning can provoke the problem, but with the
> latest firmware the problem seems to occur only with bad reception.
> Hopefully the latest patches will have this solved once and for all,
> people are still testing this.
>
> IIRC only the write fail is fatal, though someone on this list had a
> retry patch for this.
>
> One workaround is to have a script that monitors and restarts the
> backend when this happens, might have to do more, my memory is bad.
>
> Look at the wiki and the linux-dvb mailinglist for more info.

Here:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500

and here:

A new patch for tuning has been added yesterday on the wiki page, works
a treat and speeds tuning greatly.

Apply all patches.

Make sure that you report your experience on the v4l-dvb list. It is a
more appropriate place than here, and will help get those patches
accepted in the main tree.

Nico

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
Just died again this morning. I'm going to try and recompile the
latest v4l-dvb sources with those patches mentioned later in the thread.

Ben

Re: 1st tuner on Nova-t 500 can't tune [ In reply to ]
No luck. The only error to speak of is:

DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the driver

In syslog, but this occurs even while it is working. I will ask on the
linux-dvb list.

Ben