Mailing List Archive

Trouble getting channel icons.
Well I am lost and after doing some googling about this problem,
apparently so are a lot of other folks... Lots of confusion seems to
abound, so will ask here..

I am trying to set up mythTV for the first time, and got to the point of
trying to install the icons for the various TV stations... have
subscribed to Schedules Direct and am getting listings fine. My
distribution of SuSE 10.3 has supplied me (via Packman repositories)
what appears to be the correct/latest version of MythTV 0.20.2-9 but
perhaps something is wrong with it, dunno...

Anywise got to where I wanted to grab the channel icons, an ran -

perl mkiconmap.pl

This failed to produce a valid iconmap.xml file. It did produce the file
with almost nothing in it. The perl script never asked me anything about
my zip code or service as implied in the documentation at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.5 It seemed to return
far to quickly to have done anything much IMHO..

So I gave up and decided to try the second suggestion - to use the
generic master_iconmap.xml file that came in the contrib directory.
Copied it to my mythTV home directory, renamed it to iconmap.xml and ran -

mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map iconmap.xml --update-icon-map

That didn't work either, and as near as I can tell from the output there
were a LOT of failures surrounding a URL for http://images.zap2it.com
mostly 404 Not Found errors which I suspect means this URL is no longer
viable.

In my wanderings around the internet and on the mythtv web site I read
something about zap2it no longer supporting TV listings??? So are these
scripts/XML files outdated? Where do I go from here, as I said in the
beginning I am lost!

Marc...

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/2007 02:43 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> I am trying to set up mythTV for the first time, and got to the point of
> trying to install the icons for the various TV stations...

> So I gave up and decided to try the second suggestion - to use the
> generic master_iconmap.xml file that came in the contrib directory.

Better approach, anyway.

> Copied it to my mythTV home directory, renamed it to iconmap.xml and ran -
>
> mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map iconmap.xml --update-icon-map
>
> That didn't work either, and as near as I can tell from the output there
> were a LOT of failures surrounding a URL for http://images.zap2it.com
> mostly 404 Not Found errors which I suspect means this URL is no longer
> viable.
>
> In my wanderings around the internet and on the mythtv web site I read
> something about zap2it no longer supporting TV listings??? So are these
> scripts/XML files outdated?

Yep.

> Where do I go from here, as I said in the
> beginning I am lost!

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3908

The resync was supposed to have been done for 0.20-fixes (as trunk users
don't need a master_iconmap.xml), but it seems Chris didn't realize that
or felt it didn't qualify as a fix. However, you can simply download
the master_iconmap.xml from trunk and use it:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/15162/trunk/mythtv/contrib/icons/master_iconmap/master_iconmap.xml

Make sure you reset your channel icons (as in the command line in the
ticket description) to clean out any garbage that got in from your
previous attempts at importing icons.

Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
Thanks Michael for your help, but I am still not getting the icons for
the various TV stations! :-( I used the master_iconmap.xml file that
the link you gave supplied me with, reset the database as described in
the bug report and that didn't give me the icons. So I decided to do the
update as well and still no joy. Both scripts seem to run fine without
any error reports. Ideas?

Marc...

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
Mythtv is very simple, there's only tow reasons this can be happening.
Either:

1. you don't have the icon locations populated in your database
2. the icon locations are unreadable (permissions) or corrupted images
3. the theme you are using isn't configured to display icons (or you've
not toggled the "display icons" in the setup pages)

For #1 , #2 check which channels have the 'icon' column populated by
running the command

mysql -e "select name,chanid,icon from channel where icon != ''"
mythconverg

That should give you a table something like so:

name chanid icon
MNetE 1610 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet.jpg
MM1 1630 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet_movies1.jpg
SS1 1640 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/supersport1.jpg

then for each channel, check whether or not the icons are readable and
not corrupt.

If all that is correct, ensure for #3 that you toggle the right option
in the setup menus.

If you get no output from the mysql command, then your icons are not
populated and you need to write a small script to do this. Just type in
'lyngsat dstv' (for example for DSTV africa) into google and then click
on the icon and you will get all the channle icons for them, then write
a script to automatically 'wget' all of them and map then to your channels.

Sorry if i missed earlier thread on how far you've got with this but i
only seen your query today. Hope this helps you further the diagnosis
why it's not working for you.

Dave

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com:

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
<fixed top posting--hint, hint ;)>

On 12/16/2007 02:12 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 12/14/2007 02:43 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>> I am trying to set up mythTV for the first time, and got to the point of
>>> trying to install the icons for the various TV stations...
>>> Where do I go from here, as I said in the
>>> beginning I am lost!
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3908
>>
>> The resync was supposed to have been done for 0.20-fixes (as trunk users
>> don't need a master_iconmap.xml), but it seems Chris didn't realize that
>> or felt it didn't qualify as a fix. However, you can simply download
>> the master_iconmap.xml from trunk and use it:
>>
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/15162/trunk/mythtv/contrib/icons/master_iconmap/master_iconmap.xml
>>
>> Make sure you reset your channel icons (as in the command line in the
>> ticket description) to clean out any garbage that got in from your
>> previous attempts at importing icons.
> Thanks Michael for your help, but I am still not getting the icons for
> the various TV stations! :-( I used the master_iconmap.xml file that
> the link you gave supplied me with, reset the database as described in
> the bug report and that didn't give me the icons. So I decided to do
> the update as well and still no joy. Both scripts seem to run fine
> without any error reports. Ideas?

There are several things that may be an issue. Most importantly, for
the master_iconmap.xml import to work properly, the callsign of the
channel in your DB must match the callsign in master_iconmap.xml. You
can simply change the callsign of channels in your DB using the
mythtv-setup or MythWeb channel editor. Callsign is only used as a
means of telling channels apart--so as long as different channels have
different callsigns, the exact value is unimportant.

Also, the thread referenced in the ticket to which I pointed you is
/very/ important. I highly recommend reading through (or at least
scanning through) all the posts starting with my post referenced in the
ticket (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366 ). The
most important posts are:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286366#286366
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294101#294101
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294497#294497

Note that--as mentioned (though not explicitly) in the second post
listed above (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286408#286408 ),
after you do the reset that the ticket requests, you won't have icons in
the DB. However, you /will/ have a proper icon map. That means that
the next time mythfilldatabase runs, it will get the icons for you and
put them into the channels subdirectory of the MYTHCONFDIR and update
the database to refer to the icons in the proper directory. If you're
trying to put the icons somewhere besides ~/.mythtv/channels (of the
user running mythfilldatabase--which, if you're running the
backend/mythfilldatabase as root and the frontend as mythtv, or
something, would not be a good location), do as suggested in the third
post ( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294101#294101 ).

and, FYI (so you're not worried about how difficult this is):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294299#294299

And, if you'd like to make things a bit easier for the next person, take
notes as you go through the process and write up an approach (including
all the appropriate info) in the wiki.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
Dave wrote:
> Mythtv is very simple, there's only tow reasons this can be happening.
> Either:
>
> 1. you don't have the icon locations populated in your database
> 2. the icon locations are unreadable (permissions) or corrupted images
> 3. the theme you are using isn't configured to display icons (or you've
> not toggled the "display icons" in the setup pages)
>
> For #1 , #2 check which channels have the 'icon' column populated by
> running the command
>
> mysql -e "select name,chanid,icon from channel where icon != ''"
> mythconverg
>
> That should give you a table something like so:
>
> name chanid icon
> MNetE 1610 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet.jpg
> MM1 1630 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet_movies1.jpg
> SS1 1640 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/supersport1.jpg
>
> then for each channel, check whether or not the icons are readable and
> not corrupt.
>
> If all that is correct, ensure for #3 that you toggle the right option
> in the setup menus.
>
> If you get no output from the mysql command, then your icons are not
> populated and you need to write a small script to do this. Just type in
> 'lyngsat dstv' (for example for DSTV africa) into google and then click
> on the icon and you will get all the channle icons for them, then write
> a script to automatically 'wget' all of them and map then to your channels.
>
> Sorry if i missed earlier thread on how far you've got with this but i
> only seen your query today. Hope this helps you further the diagnosis
> why it's not working for you.
>
> Dave
>
> Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com:
> > Thanks Michael for your help, but I am still not getting the icons for
> > the various TV stations! :-( I used the master_iconmap.xml file that
> > the link you gave supplied me with, reset the database as described in
> > the bug report and that didn't give me the icons. So I decided to do the
> > update as well and still no joy. Both scripts seem to run fine without
> > any error reports. Ideas?
> >
> > Marc...

Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
in my area. (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...

Marc..

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/17/2007 02:16 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
> and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
> not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
> in my area.

Might just be that your callsigns are not the same as those used in the
master_iconmap.xml file.

> (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
> I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
> in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
> properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
> from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
> sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
> each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
> up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...

And, really, it's probably a /lot/ easier just to add the local channels
into master_iconmap.xml if they truly don't exist. If you open the file
in a text editor, it's relatively intuitive format that's used. First,
search for your local stations using the editor's Find (i.e. searching
for WKMG would allow you to find things like WKMG-DT and WKMG-DT2, but
would not have been matched by mythfilldatabase). If some don't exist,
just add them to the end of master_iconmap.xml.

Since the SVN trunk version of MythTV won't be using master_iconmap.xml,
you won't likely have to ever "merge" your changes into an updated
iconmap, so really there's no reason to create a script--let
mythfilldatabase do its job.

Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/17/2007 02:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/17/2007 02:16 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
>> and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
>> not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
>> in my area.
> Might just be that your callsigns are not the same as those used in the
> master_iconmap.xml file.
>> (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
>> I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
>> in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
>> properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
>> from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
>> sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
>> each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
>> up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...
>>

> And, really, it's probably a /lot/ easier just to add the local channels
> into master_iconmap.xml if they truly don't exist. If you open the file
> in a text editor, it's relatively intuitive format that's used. First,
> search for your local stations using the editor's Find (i.e. searching
> for WKMG would allow you to find things like WKMG-DT and WKMG-DT2, but
> would not have been matched by mythfilldatabase). If some don't exist,
> just add them to the end of master_iconmap.xml.
>
> Since the SVN trunk version of MythTV won't be using master_iconmap.xml,
> you won't likely have to ever "merge" your changes into an updated
> iconmap, so really there's no reason to create a script--let
> mythfilldatabase do its job.

OK, I should have explained the "relatively intuitive" format of
master_iconmap.xml (since it's not completely intuitive).

In the file, WKMG is configured with two elements:

<callsigntonetwork>
<callsign>wkmg</callsign>
<network>LyngSat-tv/ww/wkmg_orlando</network>
</callsigntonetwork>

and

<networktourl>
<network>LyngSat-tv/ww/wkmg_orlando</network>
<url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
</networktourl>

based on the fact that the URI for the WKMG logo exists at:

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg

The <network> simply has to be unique in the file and must match for the
<callsigntonetwork> and <networktourl> elements (so using a format as
derived from the URI will ensure uniqueness without having to search
through the file).

Note, also, that lyngsat-logo now offers a hi-res version at:

http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/hires/ww/wkmg_orlando.png

so, by changing the "/tv/" to "/hires/" in the <url> element of the
<networktourl> element, you can get hi-res versions of your icons.

Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/17/2007 02:16 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
>> and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
>> not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
>> in my area.
>>

> Might just be that your callsigns are not the same as those used in the
> master_iconmap.xml file.
>

>> (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
>> I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
>> in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
>> properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
>> from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
>> sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
>> each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
>> up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...
>>

> And, really, it's probably a /lot/ easier just to add the local channels
> into master_iconmap.xml if they truly don't exist. If you open the file
> in a text editor, it's relatively intuitive format that's used. First,
> search for your local stations using the editor's Find (i.e. searching
> for WKMG would allow you to find things like WKMG-DT and WKMG-DT2, but
> would not have been matched by mythfilldatabase). If some don't exist,
> just add them to the end of master_iconmap.xml.
>
> Since the SVN trunk version of MythTV won't be using master_iconmap.xml,
> you won't likely have to ever "merge" your changes into an updated
> iconmap, so really there's no reason to create a script--let
> mythfilldatabase do its job.
>
> Mike

Thanks again Mike, with yours and Daves help I think I am getting out of
the woods! ;-) I have now managed to get a few of the network affiliate
icons to show up. There are a couple of issues that I had to overcome -

1. Apparently Schedules Direct did not set up the call signs for the
major TV stations in my area. Instead there was a default "Adding
Channel xx" label for these stations. When you directed me to go back an
check what MythTVSetup was calling the name/call sign for these stations
it was "Adding Channel" and I saw the problem immediately and changed
them by hand. That got things a little further along but not out of the
woods entirely..

2. There is a mistake in the master_iconmap.xml file that was causing an
additional problem. The URL/path for ion_media_networks is wrong and
should be changed from LyngSat-corp/jk/ion_media_networks to
LyngSat-corp/ii/ion_media_networks (jk -> ii) throughout the file.

At this point icons started to show up! :-) Now I have a question -
Would it be possible to configure stations in the master_ iconmap.xml
file so that I can set the icon directly for a particular TV station
instead of using the network affiliation icon? For example would this be
legitimate? -

<callsigntonetwork>
<callsign>wkmg</callsign>
<url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
</callsigntonetwork>

That way I could set the icons to the logo used by TV stations that are not affiliated with one of the big networks... Just thought I would ask before experimenting and possibly breaking something. I haven't found any documentation on this xml file but perhaps it is hiding somewhere.. Anywise it sounds as if this approach is about to be deprecated so probably no matter... ;-)

Marc....

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On Dec 18, 2007 3:07 AM, Marc Chamberlin <marc@marcchamberlin.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> At this point icons started to show up! :-) Now I have a question -
> Would it be possible to configure stations in the master_ iconmap.xml
> file so that I can set the icon directly for a particular TV station
> instead of using the network affiliation icon? For example would this be
> legitimate? -
>
> <callsigntonetwork>
> <callsign>wkmg</callsign>
> <url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
> </callsigntonetwork>
>
> That way I could set the icons to the logo used by TV stations that are not affiliated with one of the big networks... Just thought I would ask before experimenting and possibly breaking something. I haven't found any documentation on this xml file but perhaps it is hiding somewhere.. Anywise it sounds as if this approach is about to be deprecated so probably no matter... ;-)

Argh! I think I just realized what's been wrong with my channel icons
- all of my stinkin' callsigns are capitalized, but the master_iconmap
has this in lower-case. Looks like I know what I'm doing one
afternoon...
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On Dec 18, 2007 6:27 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > legitimate? -
> >
> > <callsigntonetwork>
> > <callsign>wkmg</callsign>
> > <url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
> > </callsigntonetwork>
> >
> > That way I could set the icons to the logo used by TV stations that are not affiliated with one of the big networks... Just thought I would ask before experimenting and possibly breaking something. I haven't found any documentation on this xml file but perhaps it is hiding somewhere.. Anywise it sounds as if this approach is about to be deprecated so probably no matter... ;-)
> >
> > Marc....
> >

> Argh! I think I just realized what's been wrong with my channel icons
> - all of my stinkin' callsigns are capitalized, but the master_iconmap
> has this in lower-case. Looks like I know what I'm doing one

Actually, I just tried to change my "ESPN" to "espn", and that didn't
work, either. *sigh*.
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/18/2007 03:07 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Thanks again Mike, with yours and Daves help I think I am getting out of
> the woods! ;-) I have now managed to get a few of the network affiliate
> icons to show up.

Great.

> Now I have a question -
> Would it be possible to configure stations in the master_ iconmap.xml
> file so that I can set the icon directly for a particular TV station
> instead of using the network affiliation icon? For example would this be
> legitimate? -
>
> <callsigntonetwork>
> <callsign>wkmg</callsign>
> <url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
> </callsigntonetwork>

Nope.

> That way I could set the icons to the logo used by TV stations that are not affiliated with one of the big networks...

As I mentioned before, the specific value of network is irrelevant. It
only needs to be a unique value. It's only purpose is to allow us to
reuse a <networktourl> mapping for multiple callsigns when appropriate.
See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/68805#68805 for a
quick description of why it exists. So

<callsigntonetwork>
<callsign>wkmg</callsign>
<network>this/station/is/independent/of/networks</network>
</callsigntonetwork>
<networktourl>
<network>this/station/is/independent/of/networks</network>
<url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
</networktourl>

would work. Again:

The <network> simply has to be unique in the file and must match for the
<callsigntonetwork> and <networktourl> elements (so using a format as
derived from the URI will ensure uniqueness without having to search
through the file).

> Just thought I would ask before experimenting and possibly breaking something. I haven't found any documentation on this xml file but perhaps it is hiding somewhere.. Anywise it sounds as if this approach is about to be deprecated so probably no matter... ;-)

Yep. Probably isn't much in the way of documentation (other than the
thread I just referenced), but it is going away.

Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/18/2007 12:45 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> So
>
> <callsigntonetwork>
> <callsign>wkmg</callsign>
> <network>this/station/is/independent/of/networks</network>
> </callsigntonetwork>
> <networktourl>
> <network>this/station/is/independent/of/networks</network>
> <url>[LyngSat]/tv/ww/wkmg_orlando.jpg</url>
> </networktourl>
>
> would work.

Assuming you took care of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294497#294497 and
made network a VARCHAR(40) in callsignnetworkmap and networkiconmap.

Mike (I knew I forgot something I was going to say) Dean

Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
On 12/18/2007 06:29 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 6:27 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Argh! I think I just realized what's been wrong with my channel icons
>> - all of my stinkin' callsigns are capitalized, but the master_iconmap
>> has this in lower-case. Looks like I know what I'm doing one
>> afternoon...
> Actually, I just tried to change my "ESPN" to "espn", and that didn't
> work, either. *sigh*.

Right. It's case-insensitive matching. Are you getting errors in
mythfilldatabase? If so, you need to reset your iconmap:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/305431#305431 .
Then, look over
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/305717#305717 to
follow up.

Mike
Re: Trouble getting channel icons. [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Note, also, that lyngsat-logo now offers a hi-res version at:
>
> http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/hires/ww/wkmg_orlando.png
>
> so, by changing the "/tv/" to "/hires/" in the <url> element of the
> <networktourl> element, you can get hi-res versions of your icons.
>
> Mike

Mike - (I now have all the icons working in normal res, thanks for all
your help!) You mention in an earlier post (above) that we could use the
hi-res versions of the logos. I was curious as to what the difference
would be so gave it a shot. I changed a few of the icons to the hi-res
version as you instructed, and reran the scripts to reset and refill the
database. The scripts ran without error but the hi-res versions of the
icons then failed to show up in the schedules menus. Dunno what the
problem could be, so I switch back to the jpg versions and all is well
again.....

You also asked if I would be willing to take notes and write up my
experiences in the wiki. I sure am willing, but wonder... if this method
of getting icons is about to get overhauled then is it worth it? Or
perhaps I should wait and I would be willing to help with the
documentation later when the dust has settled on the new technique of
getting icons.....

Also, I have a corrected version of the master_iconmap.xml file (minus
my local changes for non network affiliated stations) if there is any
interest in it...

Marc...