Mailing List Archive

PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source.
Hi all. I just installed an Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE
into my FE/BE Mythtv machine. I connected analog
comcast cable to the coaxial tuner, and the outputs
from comcast's digital cablebox to the composite
inputs on the card. By the way, I'm using Mythtv 21
SVN ver. 15001.

I created a single channel in a new video source, and
attributed it to the component input on the card. I
ran mythfilldatabase, then switched over to live tv.

First, I got the signal and channels from the pvr
tuner. They came in nice and clear. Then I pressed
'c' to switch inputs to composite. The screen
flickered briefly, then returned to my tuner
broadcast.

I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the input
to change while the tuner is on. I don't know. This
card seems to be popular, so I guess what's happening
should be familiar to someone. If anyone knows a fix
or workaround for this, please let me know.

Now, I can tell that my component input is working
because if I disable mythtv, and use 'v4l2-ctl' to
change the input to composite, and then start mplayer
/dev/video-mpeg (my udev link to the mpeg device
node), I can get the picture from the comcast
cablebox.

Thanks everyone, and keep up the good work!
Sam


____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source. [ In reply to ]
Sam Logen wrote:
> Hi all. I just installed an Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE
> into my FE/BE Mythtv machine. I connected analog
> comcast cable to the coaxial tuner, and the outputs
> from comcast's digital cablebox to the composite
> inputs on the card. By the way, I'm using Mythtv 21
> SVN ver. 15001.
>
> I created a single channel in a new video source, and
> attributed it to the component input on the card. I
> ran mythfilldatabase, then switched over to live tv.
>
> First, I got the signal and channels from the pvr
> tuner. They came in nice and clear. Then I pressed
> 'c' to switch inputs to composite. The screen
> flickered briefly, then returned to my tuner
> broadcast.
>
> I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the input
> to change while the tuner is on. I don't know. This
> card seems to be popular, so I guess what's happening
> should be familiar to someone. If anyone knows a fix
> or workaround for this, please let me know.
>
> Now, I can tell that my component input is working
> because if I disable mythtv, and use 'v4l2-ctl' to
> change the input to composite, and then start mplayer
> /dev/video-mpeg (my udev link to the mpeg device
> node), I can get the picture from the comcast
> cablebox.
>
> Thanks everyone, and keep up the good work!
> Sam
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
> Can't help but I can sympathize. I have the exact same problem and have previously reported it. I got no responses. Hope your append gets better.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source. [ In reply to ]
On Dec 8, 2007 11:06 PM, Sam Logen <starz909@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the input
> to change while the tuner is on.

Yes, you are correct. See this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/37242
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source. [ In reply to ]
2007/12/10, sdkovacs <sdkovacs@gmail.com>:
> On Dec 8, 2007 11:06 PM, Sam Logen <starz909@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the input
> > to change while the tuner is on.
>
> Yes, you are correct. See this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/37242


According to this:
> With ivtv 0.10.6, I get the error "IOError: [Errno 16] Device or
> resource busy" when setting the input (v4l2-ctl -i, ioctl). With ivtv
> 0.10.5 it did work.

That was changed between ivtv 0.10.6 and 0.10.5. You can downgrade you
ivtv modules, as I do not remember that something special changed for
PVR150 in the last few versions.

M.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source. [ In reply to ]
--- Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/10, sdkovacs <sdkovacs@gmail.com>:
> > On Dec 8, 2007 11:06 PM, Sam Logen
> <starz909@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > > I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the
> input
> > > to change while the tuner is on.
> >
> > Yes, you are correct. See this thread:
> >
> >
>
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/37242
>
>
> According to this:
> > With ivtv 0.10.6, I get the error "IOError: [Errno
> 16] Device or
> > resource busy" when setting the input (v4l2-ctl
> -i, ioctl). With ivtv
> > 0.10.5 it did work.
>
> That was changed between ivtv 0.10.6 and 0.10.5. You
> can downgrade you
> ivtv modules, as I do not remember that something
> special changed for
> PVR150 in the last few versions.
>
> M.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
>
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>


Thanks for looking at this guys. I'm sure that
there's a reason why changing the inputs was disabled
while the tuner is on. I think it was the link
provided that said that it would corrupt the mpeg
stream.

What I'd like to know is why doesn't the command to
switch inputs turn off the tuner and make the switch
safely? I'm thinking that this could be implemented
either in Mythtv or in the driver. I think it would
make better sense if Mythtv itself turned off the
tuner before making the switch to a different input.

Sam


____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: PVR-150: Can't change input from the tuner to another source. [ In reply to ]
2007/12/11, Sam Logen <starz909@yahoo.com>:
>
> --- Ma Begaj <derliebegott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2007/12/10, sdkovacs <sdkovacs@gmail.com>:
> > > On Dec 8, 2007 11:06 PM, Sam Logen
> > <starz909@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > > Hi all.
> > > > I think that the ivtv module isn't allowing the
> > input
> > > > to change while the tuner is on.
> > >
> > > Yes, you are correct. See this thread:
> > >
> > >
> >
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/37242
> >
> >
> > According to this:
> > > With ivtv 0.10.6, I get the error "IOError: [Errno
> > 16] Device or
> > > resource busy" when setting the input (v4l2-ctl
> > -i, ioctl). With ivtv
> > > 0.10.5 it did work.
> >
> > That was changed between ivtv 0.10.6 and 0.10.5. You
> > can downgrade you
> > ivtv modules, as I do not remember that something
> > special changed for
> > PVR150 in the last few versions.
> >
> > M.
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> >
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
>
>
> Thanks for looking at this guys. I'm sure that
> there's a reason why changing the inputs was disabled
> while the tuner is on. I think it was the link
> provided that said that it would corrupt the mpeg
> stream.
>
> What I'd like to know is why doesn't the command to
> switch inputs turn off the tuner and make the switch
> safely? I'm thinking that this could be implemented
> either in Mythtv or in the driver. I think it would
> make better sense if Mythtv itself turned off the
> tuner before making the switch to a different input.
>
> Sam


I think, it will just corrupt the recording if you switch tuners
during recording. But it sounds logical that MythTv will stop
recording before changing to another tuner.

On the other side, MythTv must know that it should use either Tuner1
or Tuner2 at the same time. Never both of them. There is probably a
way to solve this, and I can imagine that you are not the only one
here with that problem.


Some users which are using hybrid cards with DVB and analog tuner on
the same card are not able to use them at the same time. There is a
trick with symlinks which was posted at least once on this list,
which makes MythTv believe that these tuners are actually one tuner.
That could maybe help you.


M.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users