of channels you have available to could be quite exciting.

Just a thought

-joe

Re: Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
bandwidth issues plus legal questions = never gonna happen.

best,
Cedar

Re: Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
> In other words, as you're watching a particular TV channel, you become a
> seed where others can watch the same channel you're watching. As others
> connect to your server to watch the stream, they themselves become servers
> which others can connect to, and the video stream would remain intact so
> long as the original seed continued to watch a particular station.

Setting aside bandwidth issues, I suspect this would lead to a massive
assault by lawyers on the MythTV community. We might be able to get away
with it for a while by being under the radar, but the first whiff any TV
network gets of it will see Isaac and anyone else whose name appears in
the source code hauled into court.

Remember iCraveTV.com, the Canadian company that was webcasting TV
networks without permission? You might not, because they were sued out of
existence after only a couple months of operations.

Remember ReplayTV's new "sharing" feature that would let you share
recorded shows with people on the internet? That prompted another
lawsuit... If memory serves, they took that feature out before it even
hit the market.

I think it's a great idea, but in a climate where TV networks are suing
over such a grey area as commercial skipping, a clear-cut case of
copyright infringement will be irresistable to them.

That aside, wouldn't it be better to only share recorded shows? Sharing
Live TV channels as the user is watching it could be incredibly
frustrating, if they decided that the last ten minutes of the show weren't
worth watching and changed the channel. That would also make it easier
for people to search and do automated downloads - tell your Myth box to
record all episodes of "Buffy", and it also goes out to the 'net and grabs
other people's recorded episodes of "Buffy". Most people don't have
upstream bandwidth high enough to stream real-time, but you could download
a show overnight and watch it the next day.

Re: Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
> The idea of combining a media sharing applet into mythTV based on the
> torrent model.

the only problem with this is that there are VERY few people out there
who have 10bT internet connections... I personally use 2400-2800kbps
mpeg4 streams for live tv and recordings, which is considerably more
than the average CLEAN cable modem connection.

Plus, you'd run into problems with people using different bitrates,
height/width, mpeg4 vs mpeg2 vs rtjpeg, etc. That, and what if you're
watching something from my machine and I decide to start channel surfing
(or lose interest) right in the middle of "the good part" of the show.

a sharing network of previously-recorded shows has been suggested (which
would be cool), but there are so many legal issues involved with this
that it's been abandoned as an "official" part of mythtv, and I don't
think anything unofficial has popped up (yet).

-Chris

Re:Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
>the only problem with this is that there are VERY few people out there
who have 10bT internet connections

this where is takes the torrent idea of sharing. if you have 5 people in
Boston watching the Simpsons on channel 4, then you have 5 seeds, and
you're available bandwidth is their total bandwidth combined

Another idea for sharing would be along the lines of what someone else had
said. Say "Family Ties" comes on channel 3 in Denver at 4 am, and John in
Denver has nothing scheduled to record at 4 am. How cool would it be Dave
in Miami could have John's box record Family Ties, and upload it to Dave?

Actually, I like that idea better than my original one. It would have to
be something you would volunteer your self for, but I think it would be
way cool to do.

-joe

RE: Re:Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
Not a bad idea, but those five seeds are all watching the channel from
different sources and the resulting files will be completely different.
So you can only truly have one seed.

Jason Schloer

Re: Re:Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
> this where is takes the torrent idea of sharing. if you have 5 people in
> Boston watching the Simpsons on channel 4, then you have 5 seeds, and
> you're available bandwidth is their total bandwidth combined

doesn't matter if the total size of the stream is greater than your
downstream. As I said, I encode my live tv around 2400kbps. The
average cable line AT BEST is 1500kbps. No matter how many people you
grab from, you still don't get the full stream.

> Actually, I like that idea better than my original one. It would have to
> be something you would volunteer your self for, but I think it would be
> way cool to do.

that's the "sharing previously recorded shows" thing... and yeah, it's
a cool idea, but comes with too many legal issues that I doubt it'll
ever be part of the main mythtv tree.

-Chris

Re: Feature Idea [ In reply to ]
Jeff Monks said:

> Remember ReplayTV's new "sharing" feature that would let you share
> recorded shows with people on the internet? That prompted another
> lawsuit... If memory serves, they took that feature out before it even
> hit the market.

Actually, the internet show-sharing is in all the 4000 and 5000 series
ReplayTV units and has been since day 1. All you need is a broadband
connection and the address of another Replay owner and about 6 to 8 hours
to transfer a 1 hour show. Most requests happen overnight like this:

"Hey [your friend w/a Replay TV] can you send me [24/CSI/Farscape]? My
[Cable/IR Blaster/5 year old] screwed up my scheduled record last night."

The "??AA" and various other organizations brought suit against Sonic
Blue (still pending) claiming commercial skip and show-sharing were
copyright infringements... Leading to the quote about "watching TV w/o
commercials makes you a their!"

Now Sonic blue is bankrupt and sold the Replay TV stuff to D&M
(Dennon/Marantz) and they announced it will *not* include commercial skip
or show sharing in *new* versions of the unit.

The community is a bit nervous since the EULA for the ReplayTV says they
can "add and remove" features whenever they want... Which is sorta why
I've been lurking this list for about 3 weeks now..... :)

Vern

--
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer | obviously incompetent so why are we