Mailing List Archive

Second pcHDTV card does not "open" or cannot be seen by MythTV
I purchased a second pcHDTV card for my MythTV box. I installed the
card and followed the instructions at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_PCHDTV_card_for_ATSC

It says:
For capture cards you will want to create one card config. Change the
type until it says "DVB", at that point it should show the name of
the card, "pcHDTV...". If you have multiple DVB cards you need to
change the device, to the one for the newest card. For pcHDTV cards
an "Analog Options" button will be present, click this if you wish to
use the analog portion of the card. If you have multiple V4L cards,
you will need to change the devices to the one matching the current
pcHDTV card.

My Capture Card Setup is:
Card type: DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
For DVB Card Number 0, the Frontend ID is "DViCO v2 or Air2PC v3 or
pcHDTV HD-5500" and Subtype is "ATSC".
For DVB Card Number 1, the Frontend ID is "Could not open card #1"
and Subtype is "No such file or directory".
For DVB Card Number 2, the Frontend ID is "Could not open card #2"
and Subtype is "No such file or directory".
For DVB Card Number 3, the Frontend ID is "Could not open card #3"
and Subtype is "No such file or directory".
etc.

I found one thread that suggested I set the permissions to 777 on
the /dev and /dev/dvb directory because I don't run as root. This
did not solve my problem.

My questions are:
How do I know which card ID is the newest? (I assume the
instructions above are asking for the newest card ID.)
Subtype say "No such file or directory" but I don't remember creating
a directory for the first card; is there a directory I'm suppose to
create for the second pcHDTV card?
I haven't installed any other drivers. I understand that the drivers
are already built in for this card. Right?
Any one have suggestions for me?

Rob
My configuration is:
MythTV version: 0.20.20070821-1.
Installed in December 2006 on Fedora Core 6 following Jerod's guide.
Kernel version: 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.i686
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz Socket 775 800 FSB w/Hyper Threading
Technology
Memory: 1Gig DDR 333 Memory 180 Pin
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G Mother Board
Optical Drive: LG 18X DVD RW + Dual Layer
Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA in a
LVD 450 Gig volume
Video onboard: Integrated SiS Ultra256 2D/3D Graphics
Video card: Micro-star International (MSI) AGP GeForce FX5200-
TD128LF, 8X, 128M, DDR1, D-Sub, DVI-D, TV-out
Audio onboard: AUDIO ADI AD1888 6-channel audio CODEC
Audio card: Riviera C-Media CMI 8738 (Connected to my entertainment
center via the optical cable)
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Tuner card: 2 pcHDTV HD-5500 cards (same Rev)

Re: Second pcHDTV card does not "open" or cannot be seen by MythTV [ In reply to ]
On 12/10/2007, MythTV <mythtv@assuredsolutions.com> wrote:

> My Capture Card Setup is:
> Card type: DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
> For DVB Card Number 0, the Frontend ID is "DViCO v2 or Air2PC v3 or
> pcHDTV HD-5500" and Subtype is "ATSC".
> For DVB Card Number 1, the Frontend ID is "Could not open card #1"
> and Subtype is "No such file or directory".

If you say the permissions are OK, I'm guessing that the DVB devices
for the second card do not exist. Try

$ ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter*

to see whether you have two adapter directories present.

> My questions are:
> How do I know which card ID is the newest? (I assume the
> instructions above are asking for the newest card ID.)

Card's are 'usually' numbered in the order they are detected by the
system, and 'usually' this means the higher the PCI slot # (i.e. the
further away from the video card the PCI slot is), the higher the card
ID.

> Subtype say "No such file or directory" but I don't remember creating
> a directory for the first card; is there a directory I'm suppose to
> create for the second pcHDTV card?

If it's due to the missing DVB directories I mentioned above, these
should be created automatically when the DVB module loads.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/