Mailing List Archive

Re: Help me choose: pcHDTV HD-5500 orAirStar-HD5000AV-PCI
>From: "Erich Newell"
>
>I would recommend neither of these. I have a pcHDTV which does work
>perfectly...but it generates unnecessary overhead on the system.

I'm curious as to exactly what overhead you're referring to. I use my
MythTV system for only ATSC (digital OTA broadcasts). I have three HD-5500
tuners in the backedn machine and even with all three cranking away the
system's practically asleep. I guess analog use would be different due to
the need for software encoding.

Tom

Re: Help me choose: pcHDTV HD-5500 orAirStar-HD5000AV-PCI [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Tom Dexter wrote:

> >From: "Erich Newell"
> >I would recommend neither of these. I have a pcHDTV which does work
> >perfectly...but it generates unnecessary overhead on the system.
>
> I'm curious as to exactly what overhead you're referring to...
> --snip--
> I guess analog use would be different due to
> the need for software encoding.

Confirmed: my system gets only NTSC through the pcHDTV HD-5500, and analog
encoding (RTJpeg) takes about 65% of a Pentium III "Coppermine" at 1.0 GHz.
It will be much happier on a modern dual core processor.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc@math.ucla.edu http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)