Mailing List Archive

Re: Can a frontend have a different mythvideodirectory?
> Problem is that then I cannot use the parental controls because the
> default when adding files is to have them at level 1. If there is a way
> to have vids default to parental level 2 or higher it is all figured out.

There is not, however adding such an option would not be difficult
(videoscan.cpp ~line 105 if you just want to throw something in there).

--
Anduin Withers

Re: Can a frontend have a different mythvideodirectory? [ In reply to ]
On 12-Apr-07, at 8:47 PM, Anduin Withers wrote:

> There is not, however adding such an option would not be difficult
> (videoscan.cpp ~line 105 if you just want to throw something in
> there).

Different question but same area - I'd like to have the ability to
have a per-frontend prefix for the video path. Reason for this is
it's not practical for me to have the video tree mounted in the same
place on all my frontends so I'd like the option of redirecting the
video root to some convenient place for those boxes. This would be
similar to the RecordFilePrefix setting for recordings.

There seems to be a general distaste for adding more config options
so would such a patch be likely to make it in?

- George

Re: Can a frontend have adifferent mythvideodirectory? [ In reply to ]
> Different question but same area - I'd like to have the ability to
> have a per-frontend prefix for the video path. Reason for this is
> it's not practical for me to have the video tree mounted in the same
> place on all my frontends so I'd like the option of redirecting the
> video root to some convenient place for those boxes.

So the same set of files, just at a different mount point?

> There seems to be a general distaste for adding more config options
> so would such a patch be likely to make it in?

Yes, the configuration screens are complicated enough; I'm hesitant to add
new options. That doesn't mean they are prohibited. I would certainly look
at such a patch (especially if I were convinced that maintaining the same
path across machines was more burdensome that whatever the patch involved).

The scanner doesn't do any symlink checking so I've always found keeping the
same path easy enough.

--
Anduin Withers

Re: Can a frontend have adifferent mythvideodirectory? [ In reply to ]
On 13-Apr-07, at 12:51 AM, Anduin Withers wrote:

>> Different question but same area - I'd like to have the ability to
>> have a per-frontend prefix for the video path. Reason for this is
>
> So the same set of files, just at a different mount point?

Yes.

> at such a patch (especially if I were convinced that maintaining
> the same
> path across machines was more burdensome that whatever the patch
> involved).
>
> The scanner doesn't do any symlink checking so I've always found
> keeping the
> same path easy enough.

I maintain a number of myth boxes for people and use automounting on
my laptop to get each system's recordings mapped locally to avoid
streaming. I can't do this with videos since it's a fixed path.
Perhaps there's some tricky way to do it but prefixes work well with
recordings and it would be nice to have a symmetric solution for videos.

Shouldn't be a very big patch, I'll give it a go and open a ticket.

- George

Re: Can a frontendhave adifferent mythvideodirectory? [ In reply to ]
> I can't do this with videos since it's a fixed path.
> Perhaps there's some tricky way to do it but prefixes work well with
> recordings and it would be nice to have a symmetric solution for videos.

Yeah, you could use multiple video dirs, you can throw a list separated by :
in there and it will scan all, a list of /mnt/machine1:/mnt/maching2:etc
with some sym links would do it.

I'm not trying to discourage your from sending in a patch to make it easier,
just remember that there is more than one prefix.

--
Anduin Withers